Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eberflus on defense today

10 minutes ago, MPStack said:

If you stink at CB, why not give Safety a shot. 

star trek ok GIF

there's actually be more than a few cases where a guy has struggled at CB, moved to safety and excelled.

I'm NOT saying that will be Wilson, but its why teams try it. My guess is this is his last straw, just like it was with others, if not, he'll be gone.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Wilson seems to be a good tackler. He seems to lack the ability to anticipate when to go up after a ball when covering guys. He is right there but is always a little late. This is a spot where I could actually see him playing well.

He's actually good at sticking to his man...he's just horrible at timing and making a play on the ball.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

there's actually be more than a few cases where a guy has struggled at CB, moved to safety and excelled.

I'm NOT saying that will be Wilson, but its why teams try it. My guess is this is his last straw, just like it was with others, if not, he'll be gone.

This defense is so short on playmakers, I’m up for anything to get the most out of a player.  Really, hoping the Turay’s, Lewis, Banogu and Rock Sin’s turn out better than Wilson has. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

He's actually good at sticking to his man...he's just horrible at timing and making a play on the ball.

Exactly!!! If you ask me, he's the perfect guy to cover TEs by lining up in the slot. He tackles well enough like a slot CB and while he doesn't have the quickness like a slot CB, he knows to be physical and stay with his guy. With plenty of receiving TE options around the league, he can be used as such thus doubling as a box safety too. I'd say play nickel with 3 safeties using him as one of them, and he can be used to shadow the TE if there is one and if not, get more lessons from Mike Mitchell for him to turn around faster. :) 

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Teams are gonna start doing what the Raiders did, stacking the box, blitzing. We're gonna have to try and let Jacoby/the passing game open things up more and not be so reliant on the run game.

Atlanta did the same thing. The difference was we had TY and the receivers caught the ball.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Exactly!!! If you ask me, he's the perfect guy to cover TEs by lining up in the slot. He tackles well enough like a slot CB and while he doesn't have the quickness like a slot CB, he knows to be physical and stay with his guy. With plenty of receiving TE options around the league, he can be used as such thus doubling as a box safety too. I'd say play nickel with 3 safeties using him as one of them, and he can be used to shadow the TE if there is one and if not, get more lessons from Mike Mitchell for him to turn around faster. :) 

This is what he was supposed to be used for. All indications showed in camp that is how they were going to use him.  With injuries I am sure they might of had to abandon the plan the last couple of weeks. Maybe once the defense gets everyone back we will see it more. With waller Sunday I don’t understand why he only had nine snaps on defense. 

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Atlanta did the same thing. The difference was we had TY and the receivers caught the ball.

Doesn't hurt that the Falcons run one of the softest zones in the league and our WR's were open all day on short/intermediate routes. Their pass D has looked rough this year to say the least.

On 10/1/2019 at 2:44 PM, MPStack said:

If you stink at CB, why not give Safety a shot. 

star trek ok GIF

Maybe they think he'll be better facing the play at safety, seeing as he can't seem to ever get his head around. Dude has been in position to make several plays, possibly interceptions, but not once attempts to locate the ball. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 3:14 PM, Fisticuffs111 said:

Teams are gonna start doing what the Raiders did, stacking the box, blitzing. We're gonna have to try and let Jacoby/the passing game open things up more and not be so reliant on the run.

Teams will start doing that until JB starts connecting on deep balls to guys like TY and Campbell. We took more shots down field on Sunday than I anticipated. It just isn't there yet. Doesn't mean it won't be. Once he connects on a few of those in a game or two, defenses will honor that aspect a whole lot more. 

On 10/1/2019 at 3:14 PM, Fisticuffs111 said:

Teams are gonna start doing what the Raiders did, stacking the box, blitzing. We're gonna have to try and let Jacoby/the passing game open things up more and not be so reliant on the run.

Hard to do that when you’re missing your top 2 targets.

• Like 1