Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign DT Trevon Coley

Steamboat_Shaun

2 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

That’s why it pays to inform your opinion before you communicate it? 

Two second search on the guy would have told different to your original reaction. 

There’s nothing wrong with not knowing stuff, plenty of knowledgable people on here who will answers questions. But when you post a knee jerk reaction as an absolute it doesn’t come across well.

That is what I do

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

KC doesn’t really have a huge run game though. Maybe though this will help the pass rushers.  He might not even play Sunday.

Chiefs ran it down our throats  in playoff win over us. All their tds were scored on the ground. 

24 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

That is what I do

I’ll freely admit that there’s been countless times I’ve thought something, gone to post it, quickly double checked the stats or the like and realised I’m dead wrong.

This is a community, stuff like being credible matters, not how loudly or often you shout things.

I’ve known you as a poster for what must be years now, you’re knowledgable, but also happy to admit when you’re wrong. As such, much more likely to give time and weight to what you say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Reagor used to get penetration.  Wouldn't be bad if he was like Reagor.

They have that guy already in Autry. Coley goes 310lbs and Reagor played at 285. They don’t compare. More beef in the middle pleaseeeeee. 

19 minutes ago, MPStack said:

They have that guy already in Autry. Coley goes 310lbs and Reagor played at 285. They don’t compare. More beef in the middle pleaseeeeee. 

Run stuffing isn't the only thing we need.  We also need guys who can penetrate and push the pocket.  Maybe he can give us a boost like Reagor did when we pickd up Reagor from Denver.  Can't just be dependent on Autry.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fatboy said:

We couldn’t stop the run during Super Bowl winning year until we got McFarland.  Here’s hoping for a fresh Booger.  

Mostly correct, in my opinion.  Sanders was also great in the box and was known for stuffing runners in the backfield or in the hole.  He also greatly improved the run D when he returned.  Bugger was a force, though, no doubt about it.  We haven't had a heavy quite like him since he left.

"Fresh" booger.  The thought...can't...get...it...out of my mind.

YECH!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This move is a wish and a prayer. It shows where the team needs to go in the off season. They’ve miscalculated on all speed DT’s vs. a few space eaters. It’s not very hard to see the results on Run D last season vs this year. They need 2 space eating DTs on this team. Grover MAY be one of them. But size matters. The failure to build a run stopping D will challenge this team for the rest of the year. 

Good find. Very surprised to get an average (actually meaning average, as opposed to mediocre) player on the waiver wire/PS of another team.

Thought it was going to be one of those players with no stats for years, ala TY McGill that our fans overrate but he actually has 80 tackles, 2.5 sacks, and 2 batted passes the past 2 years, started 29/31 games too.

http://www.nfl.com/player/trevoncoley/2556504/profile

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Good find. Very surprised to get an average player on the waiver wire/PS of another team.

Thought it was going to be one of those players with no stats for years, ala TY McGill that our fans overrate but he actually has 80 tackles, 2.5 sacks, and 2 batted passes the past 2 years, started 29/31 games too.

http://www.nfl.com/player/trevoncoley/2556504/profile

McGill will probably  be good with current  d

7 hours ago, MPStack said:

Is it me or is developing players a new theme on the forum? I got it with the MLB, the players need time in the minors, but I was under the impression in the NFL with a 53 man roster, your expected to perform rather quickly. How long does it take to develop NFL talent out of curiosity?? I’ve just never heard develop talent, the way it’s brought up here. :scratch:

Granted, I grew up in the 50s/60s, but it used to be qbs never saw the field before 4 yrs on the bench, and LB types never started until at least their 2nd or 3rd year. It's still pretty accepted that OLine doesnt develop the first year, as far as I know.

That's OLD School, and I know this is 2020, but I expect Speed, Leonard, and Okereke to take a year or two at least, to get and become exceptional.  Players need strength training, experience,  and film study to grow into NFL players.

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

KC doesn’t really have a huge run game though. Maybe though this will help the pass rushers.  He might not even play Sunday.

Seems like we thought that in the playoff game too last year. Also thought their run defense was one of the worst in the league and we crapped out on both sides 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Run stuffing isn't the only thing we need.  We also need guys who can penetrate and push the pocket.  Maybe he can give us a boost like Reagor did when we pickd up Reagor from Denver.  Can't just be dependent on Autry.

Reagor was really solid until he had the accident before the playoff game (am I thinking of the right player) 

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

This move is a wish and a prayer. It shows where the team needs to go in the off season. They’ve miscalculated on all speed DT’s vs. a few space eaters. It’s not very hard to see the results on Run D last season vs this year. They need 2 space eating DTs on this team. Grover MAY be one of them. But size matters. The failure to build a run stopping D will challenge this team for the rest of the year. 

Teams with a defense that is based on more speed and penetration like ours actually should have back up fatties who can play these teams with big hoggs on the oline. Leave our speed guys for teams with the athletic, more lighter olineman and let them play a fair fight. None of our speed guys are either quick enough on their first step or strong enough to overpower some of these lineman we are up against. They are also mostly a young group so they haven’t learned to put all their moves and talent together yet perhaps but for now, we need girth in the middle. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Teams with a defense that is based on more speed and penetration like ours actually should have back up fatties who can play these teams with big hoggs on the oline. Leave our speed guys for teams with the athletic, more lighter olineman and let them play a fair fight. None of our speed guys are either quick enough on their first step or strong enough to overpower some of these lineman we are up against. They are also mostly a young group so they haven’t learned to put all their moves and talent together yet perhaps but for now, we need girth in the middle. 

Except half, now even more with shears back, aren't young at all.... Houston, autry, hunt...

9 hours ago, Jdubu said:

We got caught with too many eggs in one (fast and light D-line) basket. In my world, we have a concept called "requisite variety" which changes your concept of "optimization". That's the real world.

9 hours ago, krunk said:

Almost sounds like you're thinking of Nick Harper

Nick got stabbed in the leg by his wife (I so dislike whoever she is). I know it was a DT who got in a car accident just prior to our playoff run iirc (which memory here is questionable at best lol). I’d have to look it up but it was around the timeframe he played. 

2 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Nick got stabbed in the leg by his wife (I so dislike whoever she is). I know it was a DT who got in a car accident just prior to our playoff run iirc (which memory here is questionable at best lol). I’d have to look it up but it was around the timeframe he played. 

I know Nick Harper personally and i can tell you he treated her terribly. Probably 

why she did what she did. He wasnt a hands off type of guy if you know what i mean. She wasnt crazy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CoachLite said:

We got caught with too many eggs in one (fast and light D-line) basket. In my world, we have a concept called "requisite variety" which changes your concept of "optimization". That's the real world.

I get the concept the team went for. Real speed and athletic ability to get off the block first before the olineman can get a square handle on them and get into the backfield. Our guys haven’t been able to do that as they are just shoving all our guys in a big pile in the middle and the end guys are trying to run all the way around the 6 second mile to the QB. I see nothing in the dline that gives the oline any confusion of who to block. I wished our dline coaches would watch film of other dline guys confusing our line because how many times do we see crazy pressure with them using 4-5 guys. We use 6 and still nothing but a 3rd down and long conversion. Houston hasn’t provided any pass rush. We could be paying a rookie UDFA to give us what he has provided. I hope Sheard can provide the 2018 stability he gave us and allow the others to get into the backfield. IDk but they have to do something different or someone/s has to do it much better than they are