Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

More Injuries

1959Colts

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

And we're not nearly as deep as originally thought to overcome all these injuries. 

I didn't like the thought of an early bye at the start of the season but turns out it'll come at the perfect time.

We might be deep in a couple years with the players we have. The problem is your relying on rookies as your depth. Your going to have struggles when there is injuries and rookies come in. Especially as many as we played yesterday.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

And we're not nearly as deep as originally thought to overcome all these injuries. 

I didn't like the thought of an early bye at the start of the season but turns out it'll come at the perfect time.

I agree and initially didn't like the timing of the bye, but now it's looking like a blessing.

The Mack injury is the only one of these which really concerns me at this point.  Geathers has been playing fairly well, but I don't think we see a major drop off if we have to use Odum/Tell/etc. for a week... I think Hooker is a more valuable S to this team and won't be shocked to see Hooker and Willis as our main two safeties when Hooker returns.

I think Campbell is getting a little better each week (the fumble yesterday hurt), but he's certainly not be an integral part of our O.  His KR have been solid and he seems like he's close to taking one to the house, but it's really not a major issue if we're without him until after the bye.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We might be deep in a couple years with the players we have. The problem is your relying on rookies as your depth. Your going to have struggles when there is injuries and rookies come in. Especially as many as we played yesterday.

Agreed 100%.  However, the blessing in disguise may be that our rookies are getting some time/experience early on which may help tremendously if we need them late in the season with a playoff run on the line.  I think 'Flus says pretty often 'the only way to get better is to play.'  Hopefully these rookies get some growing pains out of the way early and are able to help with increased positive contributions as time goes on.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Agreed 100%.  However, the blessing in disguise may be that our rookies are getting some time/experience early on which may help tremendously if we need them late in the season with a playoff run on the line.  I think 'Flus says pretty often 'the only way to get better is to play.'  Hopefully these rookies get some growing pains out of the way early and are able to help with increased positive contributions as time goes on.

May have to sign somebody geathers may not play sunday.

Just now, jameszeigler834 said:

May have to sign somebody geathers may not play sunday.

I'm sure if we have 3 more guys (potentially Geathers, Mack, and Campbell) out on Sunday we're going to have to sign some players or elevate some players from the practice squad.

Ballard said this after the draft, which I agree with and can see a reason why we wouldn't bring a S in for this game.  He likes guys to be versatile and able to play multiple positions.... Tell played S in college, and although Ballard suggested he wanted to move Tell to CB, that a big bonus of having a guy like him is he has the raw ability to play anywhere in the secondary if needed.  He mentioned Q. Wilson as another guy who can move to S if needed.  Moore II also has ability to move to S if needed (I don't think we want to see that, but it's there).  Then Odum is a pretty good player.

We have 2 CB's, but no S, on the practice squad... and I'm not totally familiar with the FA available at S (looks like Mike Mitchell is still around)... but I would tend to doubt that we bring in somebody new at S for this game.  I'd think we throw Odum out there with Willis and rotate Wilson and Tell in the mix before we brought in someone off the street.  Who knows though?  

KC is so fast on O, it's gonna be a real challenge stopping them without our best D on the field.

11 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I'm sure if we have 3 more guys (potentially Geathers, Mack, and Campbell) out on Sunday we're going to have to sign some players or elevate some players from the practice squad.

Ballard said this after the draft, which I agree with and can see a reason why we wouldn't bring a S in for this game.  He likes guys to be versatile and able to play multiple positions.... Tell played S in college, and although Ballard suggested he wanted to move Tell to CB, that a big bonus of having a guy like him is he has the raw ability to play anywhere in the secondary if needed.  He mentioned Q. Wilson as another guy who can move to S if needed.  Moore II also has ability to move to S if needed (I don't think we want to see that, but it's there).  Then Odum is a pretty good player.

We have 2 CB's, but no S, on the practice squad... and I'm not totally familiar with the FA available at S (looks like Mike Mitchell is still around)... but I would tend to doubt that we bring in somebody new at S for this game.  I'd think we throw Odum out there with Willis and rotate Wilson and Tell in the mix before we brought in someone off the street.  Who knows though?  

KC is so fast on O, it's gonna be a real challenge stopping them without our best D on the field.

We need to keep the ball away from them. A heavy dose of wilkins Williams  will help if mack can't go.

• Like 2

Just now, Stephen said:

We need to keep the ball away from them. A heavy dose of wilkins Williams  will help if mack can't go.

Yea, they don't really have a great D, so we should be able to utilize our OL and move the ball on them.  

Detroit seemingly had the best game plan against Mahommes so far, they didn't stop him but they slowed him a down and flustered him a little, so maybe we can build on that to some extent.... but you're right, we're going to need to control the clock and keep the ball away from Mahommes

19 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yea, they don't really have a great D, so we should be able to utilize our OL and move the ball on them.  

Detroit seemingly had the best game plan against Mahommes so far, they didn't stop him but they slowed him a down and flustered him a little, so maybe we can build on that to some extent.... but you're right, we're going to need to control the clock and keep the ball away from Mahommes

Theis run defense  seems to be as bad as last year, but we didn't take advantage  of that last year.

• Like 1

Injuries happen in football, they seem to happen in droves too.  The Colts normally seem to average more injuries than others, not sure why that is. 

That said, this is a big problem league wide this year. They were talking on Mike and Mike this morning that the injuries thus far this season are up nearly 35 percent year over year league wide, across all positions . Not sure where they got that stat. 

With all that said and the new CBA in negotiations , I really think we will see a renewed push for expanding the roster limits to the proposed 60 for active and 15 for practice squad as they’ve wanted to do for a couple years now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Theis run defense  seems to be as bad as last year, but we didn't take advantage  of that last year.

We need a Dec 2006 Jags(aka the MJD show) vs Colts type game, only we need to be the Jags version this go around. The key to stopping KC is gonna be limiting their ToP, do that and we have a chance

6 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Well Campbell hasn't done jack anyway no real loss there.

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

It sounds like Reich doesn’t expect Geathers to miss the game Sunday.

Kind of what he said 2 weeks ago about Leonard too and he has missed the last two games.

5 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Well Campbell hasn't done jack anyway no real loss there.

Kind of what he said 2 weeks ago about Leonard too and he has missed the last two games.

Campbell hasn't done much but he's proven he's a threat (albeit, a shoestring tackle away from breaking a KR for a TD, plus a TD reception where he burned the guy covering him).  Frank and Suriano are very good with their offensive play calling, the more they see what they have with Campbell and the more they see they understand how Brissett is comfortable with him, the better.  Not a huge loss if we have to play KC without him, but the more he's on the field, the better... I think the coaches will figure out how to use his freakish athleticism sometime before the season ends.

9 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Campbell hasn't done much but he's proven he's a threat (albeit, a shoestring tackle away from breaking a KR for a TD, plus a TD reception where he burned the guy covering him).  Frank and Suriano are very good with their offensive play calling, the more they see what they have with Campbell and the more they see they understand how Brissett is comfortable with him, the better.  Not a huge loss if we have to play KC without him, but the more he's on the field, the better... I think the coaches will figure out how to use his freakish athleticism sometime before the season ends.

We need our other recievers to step up offense last game was terrible for 3 and a half quarters of the game against a bad defense unacceptable.

12 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yeah, I agree.  Have to remember that he essentially missed all of camp so their just getting to see what he can do in game situations.  It will come.

19 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

Geathers is out far too often...injury prone.

My point exactly we need to upgrade that position he is the weak link there cause as a safety he is a one trick pony cause he is good most of the time against the run even though he sucks this year but he all the time sucks in coverage.