Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mack Injury

John Waylon

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The man is fragile.  Three years now and it's one injury after another.  What's the saying?  Something about availability?  He's not bad.  He just can't carry the load of a RB1.  He would be a nice RB2 though.  

Man come on, name me one back who goes through an entire season without eventually tweaking an ankle.  Happens to just about all of them.  It's unrealistic to think a running back isn't going to get an injury at some point during the season.  It's not like he's out several games or something.  On the contrary he hasn't missed one this year. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Man come on, name me one back who goes through an entire season without eventually tweaking an ankle.  Happens to just about all of them.  It's unrealistic to think a running back isn't going to get an injury at some point during the season.  It's not like he's out several games or something.  On the contrary he hasn't missed one this year. 

knock on wood

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

He just can't carry the load of a RB1.  He would be a nice RB2 though.  

Even though he leads all NFL backs and receivers through 4 weeks with 24 first downs.

What more do you want from a running back than to move the chains? He has a league leading 33% rate of 1st downs.

Every third carry is a first down. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The man is fragile.  Three years now and it's one injury after another.  What's the saying?  Something about availability?  He's not bad.  He just can't carry the load of a RB1.  He would be a nice RB2 though.  

Not many RBs can really carry the load of an RB1.

Honestly I'd love to get Williams going but he seems to be struggling to break out this year.

We may need to go back to the drawing board and pick up a veteran RB either at the deadline if we're in spitting distance of competing this year, or in the draft

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

Not many RBs can really carry the load of an RB1.

Honestly I'd love to get Williams going but he seems to be struggling to break out this year.

We may need to go back to the drawing board and pick up a veteran RB either at the deadline if we're in spitting distance of competing this year, or in the draft

There was a tweet that jay ajayi agent let all the teams know he is now ready to come back. Might be worth a look.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That makes sense and is good to know he doesn’t have a bad injury.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Mack was on the sideline with his helmet and chinstrap buckled.  That to me said he was willing and able.

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Thats the same coach who stated Hooker was out due to rotation.  I don't believe everything I hear from Reich. I hope I'm wrong and will be happy to eat my words.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Interesting.

Interesting.  That says they don't feel he is good enough to stay in for the no-huddle.  They would rather have Hines in there.  Clearly limiting his opportunities more than I would have expected.  Just reinforces he's not a real every down RB1.  When he's in we run the ball.  When Hines is in we throw him the ball.  Not too deceptive I would say.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Interesting.  That says they don't feel he is good enough to stay in for the no-huddle.  They would rather have Hines in there.  Clearly limiting his opportunities more than I would have expected.  Just reinforces he's not a real every down RB1.  When he's in we run the ball.  When Hines is in we throw him the ball.  Not too deceptive I would say.  

yeah, and to me, that just telegraphed what we're going to do to all teams as well. Head scratching comment to say the least

10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

i think its because Mack just isnt a good catcher/receiver.  i agree they are being too obvious about this when they do it for entire drives.  i know they dont like to slow things down and change personal, but this is giving away too much info imo 

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Hines is the pass catching back.  In the no huddle situation where just about every down is a passing down it makes sense to have the pass catching back in the game.  

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Hines is the pass catching back.  In the no huddle situation where just about every down is a passing down it makes sense to have the pass catching back in the game.  

I wonder if their respective teams would pull Saquan, Zeke and Gurley,  to name a few RB1's when they go to the no huddle.   Highly unlikely I would think.

12 hours ago, richard pallo said:

That's a lot to gather from 1 statement.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I wonder if their respective teams would pull Saquan, Zeke and Gurley,  to name a few RB1's when they go to the no huddle.   Highly unlikely I would think.

They wouldn't...Mack is just not as a pass catcher...which is really disappointing...because I was hopeful he would bring that type of big play ability when he was drafted (he can certainly do it as a runner). Good RB though...even with the injury issues.

I was excited about Hines as well...but (and this might be an unpopular opinion)...he has underwhelmed overall (including in the passing game). He's not nearly elusive enough to combat his lack of size...so the impact from his track speed is neutralized. And he just isn't a RB at the NFL level. The guy has caught 77 passes at the NFL and has THREE plays that have gone for 20+ yards.

On 10/1/2019 at 10:11 AM, richard pallo said:

They wouldn't but there is a massive difference between those guys and Mack.

Those guys are star RB's, every down backs.  

Mack is just an RB1.  

Basically the difference is that those guys are all purpose backs that can and are used in just about every situation.

Mack is just the first choice RB who has support from other RB's behind him based on game situation.  

The difference is sort of like the difference between Julio Jones and Allen Robinson.  Both are WR1's on their teams.  But Julio because of his star status is a lot less likely to get pulled than Allen Robinson who may be pulled based on situation. 

Or if you want to switch to defense it's the difference between Darius Leonard and Anthony Walker.  When Leonard's healthy he's likely in just about every down.  Walker while also being a starting linebacker might get pulled due to situation.  

Mack is the first choice running back but he's not an every situation running back. 

22 hours ago, USFfan said:

I really dont understand it. Mack caught the ball really well in college. They just dont throw it to him in Indy. It's hard to be a great pass catcher when you aren't thrown passes...

he has struggled with that here, but they have not tried much after the jets game last year.  he had a pretty high drop % and two of them went for TDs the other way 

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

he has struggled with that here, but they have not tried much after the jets game last year.  he had a pretty high drop % and two of them went for TDs the other way 

I remember the one against the Jets last year. But when looking up his stats he has 3 drops in his career with the Colts. I think they really need to try to get some passes Mack's way. When Hines is in the game, it pretty much shows their hand. 

I think getting short passes in space would make the offense much dynamic.

Second play from video (2017): 

Also from last year:

https://www.colts.com/video/highlight-marlon-mack-goes-untouched-for-29-yard-rushing-touchdown

On 9/30/2019 at 4:15 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Interesting.

I figured Mack's absence late in the game was as much to do with them not using him in the passing game, like at all. Hines is perfect for those no huddle situations because you can empty the backfield and cause headaches, and he's more than capable of getting a few yards on the ground if the defense is backing off. There was realistically, no reason for Mack to go in that last touchdown drive, especially if he had an ankle nagging him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USFfan said:

I remember the one against the Jets last year. But when looking up his stats he has 3 drops in his career with the Colts. I think they really need to try to get some passes Mack's way. When Hines is in the game, it pretty much shows their hand. 

I think getting short passes in space would make the offense much dynamic.

Second play from video (2017): 

Also from last year:

https://www.colts.com/video/highlight-marlon-mack-goes-untouched-for-29-yard-rushing-touchdown

drops are not an exact science, some places count them differently.  id think they could use some check downs or easy passes to try and get him going sometimes at least