Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Team Captains [Merge]

21isSuperman

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Manning, Brackett, and Bullitt all gone, who will replace them as team captains? On defense, I want to say Angerer (since it's almost always the team's MLB), but Bethea should get some consideration. He is a good leader and one of the best players we have. On offense, who do you take? Wayne? Saturday if he comes back?

Aren't the captians voted on by the players? If that is the case, then it will be the guys who are most helpful to the young guys during TC.

My guesses are: Wayne, Redding, and AV.

Aren't the captians voted on by the players? If that is the case, then it will be the guys who are most helpful to the young guys during TC.

My guesses are: Wayne, Redding, and AV.

I believe it's up to the coaches. I think when Dungy was here, he picked Peyton, Brackett, and Vinny as captains, then the players were allowed to vote for a 4th captain/special teams captain and Bullitt was voted in

I believe it's up to the coaches. I think when Dungy was here, he picked Peyton, Brackett, and Vinny as captains, then the players were allowed to vote for a 4th captain/special teams captain and Bullitt was voted in

Okay. Then definitely Pagano will pick Redding and then the other team leaders... Wayne, AV, team may vote for Luck as the 4th.

Of course Pagano may do it differently than the previous admin.

I think when Dungy was here, he picked Peyton, Brackett, and Vinny as captains, then the players were allowed to vote for a 4th captain/special teams captain and Bullitt was voted in

Exactly! Every unit needs a captain. Anybody on this site that thinks Special Teams is not a part of a cohesive unit has not watched our 'not so special teams' fail in the last 14 years.

I have cringed for years as the Hesters and Jacoby Jone's ran roughshot. Pagano believes in special teams as do I. Can we block a kick sometime? Can we return a punt. Can we fill the gaps. The Colts have been horrendous other than AV and the swimmer, and as Bill Polian says Pat Mac needs more directional punting and I add he needs to learn not to continue to 'outkick his coverage' straight down the field. Love him, and I think he will be the best....but....I will get off of my 'colt.'

I believe it's up to the coaches; especially this year. The coaches need to see who WANTS to hunt...who WANTS to build the monster!!!!

Edited by BrentMc11

Exactly! Every unit needs a captain. Anybody on this site that thinks Special Teams is not a part of a cohesive unit has not watched our 'not so special teams' fail in the last 14 years.

I have cringed for years as the Hesters and Jacoby Jone's. Pagano believes in special teams as do I. Can we block a kick sometime? Can we return a punt. Can we fill the gaps. The Colts have been horrendous other than AV and the swimmer, and as Bill Polian says Pat Mac needs more directional punting and I add he needs to learn not to continue to 'outkick his coverage' straight down the field. Love him, and I think he will be the best....but....I will get off of my 'colt.'

I believe it's up to the coaches; especially this year. The coaches need to see who WANTS to hunt...who WANTS to build the monster!!!!

Our special teams are really special!

Okay. Then definitely Pagano will pick Redding and then the other team leaders... Wayne, AV, team may vote for Luck as the 4th.

I actually agree with Luck. Everybody in the United States knows he was drafted as the leader into this new era. I do not care if he is a rookie. He should be a captain....he is the leader of the Arians offense.

Our special teams are really special!

:) I think I know what you mean......our special teams should have sponsored TUMS or Pepto-bismol. Pagano has a nice past from the Miami Hurricanes on with excellent special teams play. Shoddy play on STs will get a player waived this year I guarantee it.

I actually agree with Luck. Everybody in the United States knows he was drafted as the leader into this new era. I do not care if he is a rookie. He should be a captain....he is the leader of the Arians offense.

a rookie has never been named captain

:) I think I know what you mean......our special teams should have sponsored TUMS or Pepto-bismol. Pagano has a nice past from the Miami Hurricanes on with excellent special teams play. Shoddy play on STs will get a player waived this year I guarantee it.

That's good to know, I wonder if we will try to be more tricky, onside kicks, different variants of formations, ect. Maybe some tricky collegiate style stuff with speeders like Hilton ST wise.

But the players do care...if he is a rookie...

veteran leaders are capatins and you cannot have someone who is new to town and new to mangement be a captain..

This is something you have to pay your dues for..

Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis..Donald Brown, Antoine Bethea,, Pat Angerer

pick 4 from among those guys

Personally, I think there are a lot of solid guys to pick on defense as captains. Freeney, Mathis, Bethea, Angerer...with that said, I wouldn't be surprised if Pagano picks one of his guys from Baltimore to lead the defense and run if they way they did over there. If he goes that route, I think the best candidate would be Redding. But the defensive captain gets an earpiece to hear the playcall, I believe. And in that case, it makes most sense to have your MLB or one of your ILBs have the earpiece so they can communicate with players on all three levels of the defense. Because of that, I think Angerer has the best chance of being picked defensive captain.

But the players do care...if he is a rookie...

veteran leaders are capatins and you cannot have someone who is new to town and new to mangement be a captain..

This is something you have to pay your dues for..

Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis..Donald Brown, Antoine Bethea,, Pat Angerer

pick 4 from among those guys

I would be fine with all except for DB. He is intelligent....is he ready to lead? Maybe he is.

Coltsrule 91: When a kid flies in for a 3 day mini-camp and is capable of going 3-4 levels of audiblization (is that a word :)) is this man not able to lead? I want a leader and coming prepared should be recognized. If not...next year Andrew.

Whether he is or not does not matter to me....just saying everyone knows he is the offensive leader. I would see how camp goes and choose who steps up to the plate if I were Pags.. That was always my specialty. You run through a brick wall for each other or go home.

Personally, I think there are a lot of solid guys to pick on defense as captains. Freeney, Mathis, Bethea, Angerer...with that said, I wouldn't be surprised if Pagano picks one of his guys from Baltimore to lead the defense and run if they way they did over there. If he goes that route, I think the best candidate would be Redding. But the defensive captain gets an earpiece to hear the playcall, I believe. And in that case, it makes most sense to have your MLB or one of your ILBs have the earpiece so they can communicate with players on all three levels of the defense. Because of that, I think Angerer has the best chance of being picked defensive captain.

I did not know the earpiece was only to the captain. If that is the case, then yes a LB makes the most sense.

Vinny, Mathis, Freeney, Reggie

Saturday is a Packer now.

His post was from March, when we weren't sure of Saturday's status as a Colt. A recent topic was created and the two were merged. So some of the selections for captain may not make as much sense now

That's good to know, I wonder if we will try to be more tricky, onside kicks, different variants of formations, ect. Maybe some tricky collegiate style stuff with speeders like Hilton ST wise.

Look into Pagano's past.....I am sorry I get nutty on Special Teams. With one or two big plays it can alter any game....I always laugh at 'fans' that belittle the unit. It sucks when your punter makes too many tackles...just saying....

Look into Pagano's past.....I am sorry I get nutty on Special Teams. With one or two big plays it can alter any game....I always laugh at 'fans' that belittle the unit. It sucks when your punter makes too many tackles...just saying....

Yeah definitely that's absolutely uncalled for that Pat McAfee had to save multiple TD's. When the Punter is your best ST player it's definitely laughable.

I would be fine with all except for DB. He is intelligent....is he ready to lead? Maybe he is.

Coltsrule 91: When a kid flies in for a 3 day mini-camp and is capable of going 3-4 levels of audiblization (is that a word :)) is this man not able to lead? I want a leader and coming prepared should be recognized. If not...next year Andrew.

Whether he is or not does not matter to me....just saying everyone knows he is the offensive leader. I would see how camp goes and choose who steps up to the plate if I were Pags.. That was always my specialty. You run through a brick wall for each other or go home.

The surest way for a new coach to tick off his vets would be to name a rookie the captain...

Brown and Angerer paid his dues....good days and bad.....16 games last year..

This isnt about your level of performance..Its did you show up and ride hard...Brown and Angerer are young but they're solid Colts

Reggie, Mathis and Freeney and Bethea are obvious choices...

The surest way for a new coach to tick off his vets would be to name a rookie the captain...

Brown and Angerer paid his dues....good days and bad.....16 games last year..

This isnt about your level of performance..Its did you show up and ride hard...Brown and Angerer are young but they're solid Colts

Reggie, Mathis and Freeney and Bethea are obvious choices...

Honestly, I know Pagano has made this a family atmosphere, and that is so important especially when he is going to be feisty. I will be fine with whomever is chosen.

I do want a leader and not a follower. I want our captains to be studs to lead the horse!!

I was thinking Capt America but he'd test positive for PEDs

I was thinking Capt America but he'd test positive for PEDs

Captain Kangaroo was a stud in pads....he just needs to wear blue instead of 'green jeans.' I am getting as old as I am feeling.....good to have a loyal avatar :)

The players vote on team captains. Don't be surprised if they rally around Luck and throw him a huge vote of confidence. Remember these guys want to win now. That would give Luck a lot of confidence out of the gate. Defense will likely be Mathis or Bethea.