Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

State of the Colts...

csmopar

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

You're blaming everyone but JB. He had a bad game too. Funch had in 20% drop rate in his limited time so while you blast everyone else for poor stats, you think he would have made a huge difference? That's comical.

We pay almost more than anyone on TE, and have two high paid guys. TEs are big guys in the middle. And Pascal played the outside pretty decent. You act like every pass JB threw was perfect and that is far from the truth. Keep banging that drum.

Not saying he played great. After today though he is the least of my worries.

Its looking more and more like we need to do a lot of over hauling of this defense. It simply is not working.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You're blaming everyone but JB. He had a bad game too. Funch had in 20% drop rate in his limited time so while you blast everyone else for poor stats, you think he would have made a huge difference? That's comical.

We pay almost more than anyone on TE, and have two high paid guys. TEs are big guys in the middle. And Pascal played the outside pretty decent. You act like every pass JB threw was perfect and that is far from the truth. Keep banging that drum.

It was a bad day for everyone on the team, from Reich on down, all the way thru to the water boy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

It is looking more and more like Eberflus isn’t that good and we don’t have the players on defense to compete. I think the offense will be fine. It’s going to take time for Cain and Campbell.

Its not the coaching.  We cant get pressure or stop the run with this front 4.  Bellicheck could b coaching this scheme with this front 4 and the results would b the same. It's been 3 years and no game changer on the interior and that's on Ballard  not Eberflus.  

1 hour ago, AZCardinals8 said:

Please, 80 yards and that TD were during garbage time right after he threw that horrible pick 6. Without that he was 21/43 (48% completion) with 180 yards 2 tds and an INT. He may have had better stats, but Carr played better. 

Agreed I have my doubts as far as him being the future of this team.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Its not the coaching.  We cant get pressure or stop the run with this front 4.  Bellicheck could b coaching this scheme with this front 4 and the results would b the same. It's been 3 years and no game changer on the interior and that's on Ballard  not Eberflus.  

I was talking about the offensive play calling. When your down two of your WR sometimes you need to be creative. Especially when your relying on rookies.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Not saying he played great. After today though he is the least of my worries.

Its looking more and more like we need to do a lot of over hauling of this defense. It simply is not working.

Like I said earlier, you're missing the top 2 guys from the 2/3 levels of D. One who is your leading tackler, and the other that is your best DB. They are the two best players on D. 

A zone D is more or less bend don't break / cover 2. When your best zone defender in the back 3rd, and best zone defender in the middle third are gone, you're going to struggle. And that's just in coverage. Add in the fact Okereke has been horrible against the run, and it's just a bad situation.

But, even with all that...., after the first Q (and very early 2Q), the Colts D only gave up 3pts the rest of the game. The only TD given up after that was JB's P6, which is the difference in the final score. Eberflus, while not be dominant in the 2nd half, made changes and didn't give up a TD.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is a great story how we lost this game because we got dominated in the trenches. Go to their ap and you can read it for free.

Couldn't read it, but I remember saying it before the game, the Raiders beefy OL and DL would be an interesting test for us. Especially with what Ballard is trying to do with the light DL.

• Like 1

Like I said earlier, you're missing the top 2 guys from the 2/3 levels of D. One who is your leading tackler, and the other that is your best DB. They are the two best players on D. 

A zone D is more or less bend don't break / cover 2. When your best zone defender in the back 3rd, and best zone defender in the middle third are gone, you're going to struggle. And that's just in coverage. Add in the fact Okereke has been horrible against the run, and it's just a bad situation.

But, even with all that...., after the first Q (and very early 2Q), the Colts D only gave up 3pts the rest of the game. The only TD given up after that was JB's P6, which is the difference in the final score. Eberflus, while not be dominant in the 2nd half, made changes and didn't give up a TD.

And guess what JB scored enough points to dig us out and it ended up not being a blowout.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Couldn't read it, but I remember saying it before the game, the Raiders beefy OL and DL would be an interesting test for us. Especially with what Ballard is trying to do with the light DL.

Wait till we play KC next week.  Their O line is elite.  Going to b a long day

24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is a great story how we lost this game because we got dominated in the trenches. Go to their ap and you can read it for free.

Not a lot of mystery here (trenches). They (Raider's D) stacked enough vs the run to make JB throw. On O, they went big to run, and max protect to pass knowing they could pick on our zone without Leonard and Hooker.

We've seen the stacking before, and we'll see it all year. It's the blueprint against us until JB makes folks pay.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

The fan base is not soft but you have to call crap fest a crap fest.

Looking around the forum today (and after any loss, really) I have to disagree. There are a lot of soft fans around these parts.  So many fickle Colts fans. A quick glimpse around the board and you can see calls to cut Ebron, cut Cain, cut Quincy, sit Jacoby, Ballard=Grigson, etc. None of those were being discussed (except by the CK cult) before today's game. It takes one bad game for pitchforks to come out and entire histories to be erased. Soft. Pathetic. Embarrassing. Dumb. I understand not being happy about the play today... But some of the children posting in here is ridiculous.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not a lot of mystery here (trenches). They (Raider's D) stacked enough vs the run to make JB throw. On O, they went big to run, and max protect to pass knowing they could pick on our zone without Leonard and Hooker.

We've seen the stacking before, and we'll see it all year. It's the blueprint against us until JB makes folks pay.

Yeah, the tape truly is out on our offense now.

They had some really effective blitzes against us. And honestly, since week 1, teams have done a good job at meeting our backs in the backfield. Definitely seeing a lot of formations we like to run in/pre-snap motion we do before those runs, and which side we like to run toward to in those formations. DC's are gonna pick up on that.

38 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It was a bad day for everyone on the team, from Reich on down, all the way thru to the water boy

Yup. The only player that I would say that clearly had a good game was Hines, who caught well out of the backfield. 

I still don't understand why they ran him late on 3 and short. The 4th and short worked, but get one of your bigger backs in there.

• Like 1

Its simple but people don't want to hear it how the Raiders beat us. They want to point to Grigson and how he left the cupboard empty.  It's been 3 years and tons of available money and this D is not showing any signs of improvement.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Its simple but people don't want to hear it how the Raiders beat us. They want to point to Grigson and how he left the cupboard empty.  It's been 3 years and tons of available money and this D is not showing any signs of improvement.

Do you remember 2001? 

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

The tape truly is out against our offense now, yeah.

They had some really effective blitzes against our us. And honestly, since week 1, teams have done a really good job at meeting our backs in the backfield.

IMO, it's only going to get uglier as we face better coaches, and better Ds. We're going to get stacked and blitzed all year. Or at least until JB makes them pay, or Reich adjusts the game plan.

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I'd say today was 60% being without Leonard and Hooker, 20% on play calling/scheme, and 20% on young guys like Oke not being up to the tasks (and filling in for our studs) .

Like I posted earlier, we only gave up 3pts after the 1Q (really very early 2Q). Eberflus did make some decent adjustments.

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Maybe Jonathan  Williams  will be active the next game

I'd say today was 60% being without Leonard and Hooker, 20% on play calling/scheme, and 20% on young guys like Oke not being up to the tasks (and filling in for our studs) .

Like I posted earlier, we only gave up 3pts after the 1Q (really very early 2Q). Eberflus did make some decent adjustments.

Maybe he needs to come in more prepared instead of making adjustments after your down 21-0.

If u think the loss of Leonard really affected the  play of the D then u haven't watched much tape.  Go back to the KC game and every game since then.  He has been exposed in pass coverage and pushed around.   I do agree with u on Hooker

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Maybe he needs to come in more prepared instead of making adjustments after your down 21-0.

I'd agree to a point, but every game the opposing O will try and come out and do something different to specifically attack your D (weakness, injuries, etc). It then falls to the DC to adjust to that game plan. There was only one big play (the long TD run). The majority of the other two TD drives were short dink and dunk straight out of Reich's playbook, taking advantage of our soft zone.

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If u think the loss of Leonard really affected the  play of the D then u haven't watched much tape.  Go back to the KC game and every game since then.  He has been exposed in pass coverage and pushed around.   I do agree with u on Hooker

I'm not going to act like Leonard is perfect, but he led the league in tackles last year. Missing that kind of production, and instead getting a guy like Okereke who is swallowed up on the run is much worse than any flaws Leonard may have.

I'd agree to a point, but every game the opposing O will try and come out and do something different to specifically attack your D (weakness, injuries, etc). It then falls to the DC to adjust to that game plan. There was only one big play (the long TD run). The majority of the other two TD drives were short dink and dunk straight out of Reich's playbook, taking advantage of our soft zone.

This teams weaknesses is exactly how the raiders play offense.

I'm not going to act like Leonard is perfect, but he led the league in tackles last year. Missing that kind of production, and instead getting a guy like Okereke who is swallowed up on the run is much worse than any flaws Leonard may have.

These r Ballard picks.  Honestly, when they committed to this defensive philosophy, I cringed.  I am not a fan of it. The players r on the light side and teams will just run down your throat. It's a simple defense that I find is obsolete with the level of coaching and qb play thay exists today.

• Like 2

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

This teams weaknesses is exactly how the raiders play offense.

Both offenses rely on a lot of short passes, so no mystery there. Gruden just picked on the right areas. And it's not like Carr had a lot of yards. The running is probably what truly beat us. And one of the weaknesses of a cover 2 is vs the run. But really, nothing too out of the norm in terms of our D vs their O. Having Hooker and Leonard would have likely impacted the score by 7.

I know you don't like to hear it, but Gruden game planned more on D than anything else. And all teams will as long as it works. Teams will continue to stack vs our run, with a decent amount of blitzing. They also play their DBs shallow to congest the lanes (making it hard on our WRs/TEs). That means they respect your run, and don't respect your QB. 

I agree Desir is playing well. I was curious as to how Kenny Moore is doing after the big contract?  It seemed like he was everywhere last year and very disruptive. I know a lot of times no news is good news when it comes to the defensive backfield. I just have not noticed him like I did last year.

If I were the DC of the Raiders, designing a defense for the Colts in today's situation, I would:

A - Stack the run

B - Put my best solo cover corner on Cain to test his "almost" rookie abilities

C - Hard cover everything short, and dare JB to throw long, accurately, to anyone not wearing a #13 jersey

To break that defense, you need to capitalize on your TE's (Thanks for the five drops, Ebron), or throw to your 4th option, Zach Pascal.

The Raiders approach worked well for them.  Even then, we still put up points.

We lost today.  But I'm not going to slit my wrists over it.

2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

If I were the DC of the Raiders, designing a defense for the Colts in today's situation, I would:

A - Stack the run

B - Put my best solo cover corner on Cain to test his "almost" rookie abilities

C - Hard cover everything short, and dare JB to throw long, accurately, to anyone not wearing a #13 jersey

To break that defense, you need to capitalize on your TE's (Thanks for the five drops, Ebron), or throw to your 4th option, Zach Pascal.

The Raiders approach worked well for them.  Even then, we still put up points.

We lost today.  But I'm not going to slit my wrists over it.

That might only work with no TY. You can’t underestimate how bad of A loss Ty is and having to rely on two rookies.

38 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

These r Ballard picks.  Honestly, when they committed to this defensive philosophy, I cringed.  I am not a fan of it. The players r on the light side and teams will just run down your throat. It's a simple defense that I find is obsolete with the level of coaching and qb play thay exists today.

The question is will they fix it or be stubborn in the off season. I said during the draft we did not need another corner. We would of been better served getting a DT. Maybe we still could of got rock but gone defensive tackle instead of linebackers.

1 minute ago, John Hammonds said:

Yup!  Absolutely!

Not having TY nor Funchess meant that our most talented WR's were also our most inexperienced.  Design your defense around that.

I am disappointed in Reich when he seen how bad the WR were that he stayed so vanilla and didn’t do any scheming to help them out. What happened to all the stuff Parris did at Osu that he could be implementing while learning the position.

28 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I have no problem with the philosophy with the right personnel. I do have some issues with some of the draft picks. I think our biggest need is DT (on D).