Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deon Cain

CurBeatElite

Cain will be fine.  He actually gets open quite a bit, but I think he’s typically schemed as the 3rd or 4th read.  I’d like to see the coaches get him and Campbell involved early but it looks like they’re mostly getting used to pull coverage down field.  I did notice Cain getting a little frustrated today at the lack of attention so I think he feels your pain!

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

Probably still need to add another WR in next year's loaded class. Not sure if Cain is a long term solution at WR just yet, so we really only have Hilton and Campbell. I don't expect us to resign Funchess personally. 

I think we could resign him. He could of been the difference today. Reich was using him as a big body pocession receiver. That would of helped today.

43 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Ty was good hus rookie  year. So was marvin.

Look at TY first nine games then look at the reminder of that season, The first nine games he had one great game but he grew.  Marvin, who was 1Rd pick did have a good rookie but who thought he would be HOF.  All I'm saying people need to stop judging so quickly and give them time.

Bottom line is: the Colts are not as deep at WR as some believed. Behind TY and Funchess there was a lot of untested, young talent. Hopefully, a couple of these guys step up. But they are young; they are green; and they are rookies or no better than 4 and 5 level WRs.  TY cannot get back soon enough. And the Colts need to invest in a true #2. Ballard knows this; next year, watch the Colts grab a high level WR in free agency. This position has been exposed as a need. 

3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

0 receptions on 5 targets today... 3 receptions on 11 targets for the season.

I know a lot were expecting him to be our savior at WR2, but he hasn't really done anything to impress me so far this year.

We badly need for him to step up, for TY to get healthy, and for other WRs to develop quickly.  Brissett had a bad pick late in today's game, but otherwise he's been playing very well this season, we need our WRs to step up the next 3/4 of the season to help him out though.

Which those calling for Kelly to play should be paying attention to.  Just because you are good in the pre-season vs others backups doesn’t = success in the regular season.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

0 receptions on 5 targets today... 3 receptions on 11 targets for the season.

I know a lot were expecting him to be our savior at WR2, but he hasn't really done anything to impress me so far this year.

We badly need for him to step up, for TY to get healthy, and for other WRs to develop quickly.  Brissett had a bad pick late in today's game, but otherwise he's been playing very well this season, we need our WRs to step up the next 3/4 of the season to help him out though.

Nobody covered themselves in glory today.  Poor showing all around, well beneath what should be expected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Good lord,   this is basically his rookie season.   My goodness.   The panic around here after a loss is laughable.   This isn't madden.   Players take time to develop.   Some fans are embarrassing.   

I agree. Almost to the point of making me wanna puke 

• Like 1

Honestly what do you expect? He’s only played 4.5 real NFL games. Is he supposed to be tearing it up by now? I have much higher hopes for Campbell as he was a 2nd round pick. I think we need another veteran WR in this group. Inman or Golden Tate would have been nice. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Which those calling for Kelly to play should be paying attention to.  Just because you are good in the pre-season vs others backups doesn’t = success in the regular season.

Minshew is kinda putting a damper on thay whole line of reasoning.  I think it is safe to say sometimes it does matter.  I am not saying we should put Chad in there, just that unproven players can often have an impact...duh, right?

Cain is the Back up of the Back and Campbell is playing the same way too. It is getting tiring that the Colt continue to waste late round draft pick on WR and especially WR who are supposed to speed burners. Paris Campbell does not even crack the top ten in rookie stats except in on category and that is touchdowns which is 7.

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hes a 5th round pick. I am not sure what people were expecting

It was widely reported this kid would have been a 1-2 round pick if not for some issue prior to his draft. He has talent, he has not had good throws his way, he hasn’t impressed either but is it him or the passer or the scheme? Idk but they all need to get more in synch. 

1 hour ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Cain is the Back up of the Back and Campbell is playing the same way too. It is getting tiring that the Colt continue to waste late round draft pick on WR and especially WR who are supposed to speed burners. Paris Campbell does not even crack the top ten in rookie stats except in on category and that is touchdowns which is 7.

I still don’t think Reich is using Campbell right. What happened to all the stuff he did in college until he learned the position. He is a rookie. When you need rookies to go out and be a 1 and a 2 there is going to be issues.  It’s way to early on Campbell. But I will say this we could of had a guy like touchdown terry who would of been ready right away.

8 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I was one of those people that thought he would be really good but I must eat crow he sucks.

He doesn't suck.  He is still recovering from injury and he needs to get better.  He's not (as of now) as the joker he was cracked up to be, though.

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

He is basically a rookie coming off a ACL. It’s not his problem we lost our two top WR.

When you're targeted 5 times and have 0 receptions, there is something going on.  Every other 'receiver' who was targeted had at least 1 catch.. the worst line after Cain (0-5) is Ebron 1-5 (with 3 drops).  I don't recall Cain having bad drops like Ebron, but you've gotta at least be in position to catch balls if they're thrown your way.  If we want to believe the 'next man up' mindset, it's unacceptable to be unable to come down with any passes when 5 are targeted at you.  I assume he'll get better and he'll work with Jacoby a bit to get timing/routes down, but I doubt he's going to be a stud this year.

7 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

Cain is not 100% yet...still recovering from his injury...trying to play his way back into game shape...(from Siriani).

Let's hope that's the case.  I think it is... an ACL (see Hooker last year) takes more than a year to recover from, not just with speed/shape but also mentality (i.e., it is hard trusting yourself cutting, accelerating, decelerating, etc. coming off a major injury).   I think he'll be fine eventually, but he's got some work left.

7 hours ago, cgi4life said:

OMG...these guys are rookie and basically a rookie...relax.  I could see the drama if they where top 10 draft pick.  People on this site over react to everything.   Give them time to grow and remember all of your negative comments when they turn out to be good players and dont be a hypocrite if and when it happens....Reggie, Marvin and TY all took time to grow they didn't start as great players, just relax.

Marv and TY were stars off the bat, and TY was a 3rd round pick.  I'm relaxed, but the point of this post was to point out that Deon Cain, as of today, is not ready to be our fallback option as a stud WR.  He'll be better, I'm sure, but we need TY and Funch back to help Jacoby.

5 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

I don't understand why Campbell is being primarily used as a short throw option and we hope he can break things... maybe his route-running needs some time to develop.  I think he'll be fine in this league, but he needs to be more than a screen guy.  

4 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Campbell is a major disappointment.

No he isn't.  He's shown a lot of potential as return guy and has been decent at what we're doing with him as a WR.  I think the major disappointment is more on the way he is being utilized.  

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I still don’t think Reich is using Campbell right. What happened to all the stuff he did in college until he learned the position. He is a rookie. When you need rookies to go out and be a 1 and a 2 there is going to be issues.  It’s way to early on Campbell. But I will say this we could of had a guy like touchdown terry who would of been ready right away.

Let's not be upset at Campbell... he'll be just fine.

He's going to have to speed up his learning curve.  I'm not worried because I know the talent is there and I know he's coming back from the ACL.  I think his situation will be sort of like Nyheim Hines when he had that bad preseason.  He'll just need that 1 game where he contributes alot then from there the comfort and the confidence levels raise up.