Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First major setback -- how will we handle it?

Imgrandojji

Losing this game was a gutpunch.  I see a lot of fans hurting right now, and for pretty good reason. 

Let's face it, we made the mistake of looking past Oakland a bit, and they hung some points on us early that we couldn't recover from.

That said, we're in a better position than 2-2 makes it look like,  Especially because the Texans lost this week too.  We still have a fighting chance at the division, especially if we can be healthy.  I think we go to 2-3 after the Chiefs game at Arrowhead, but after that we should be able to rally and pick up some wins and make gains towards being a playoff contender again as the season goes on.

Anyone who wants to give up now is welcome to turn in their blue horseshoe at the desk out front.  I still think we have a fighting chance.   This is a young team that has a good shot at being better in the second half of the season as we cut dead weight and improve the pieces we have.  I also expect to see Ballard invest in talent in problem areas.  As long as we don't go too far into the hole before we get our feet back under us, this team should be OK in the longterm

One thing this defeat did prove though is we're probably not premium contenders this year.  We can fight for a playoff spot but we're not an elite NFL team quite this year.  So this year is not "win now mode" time.  Not quite yet.  Primary goal should be developing our talent, including Brissett, and arranging the future reinforcements we need to contend in 2020-2021.

Part of that is identifying our weaknesses.  Heres how I see them in this snapshot of time

We badly need some meat on the D line.   

We badly need an upgrade in depth to our LB group. Adding some muscle there wouldn't hurt us at all

We need at least 1 maybe 2 more reliable WRs. 

We could  use a couple more DBs for coverage depth to allow us the freedom to go man coverage more often. 

We may also need a new DC if Eberfluss can't fix this D in season or make adjustments in coverage.

• Like 2

I try to keep realistic expectations and not get too high after a win or too low after a loss. I think I projected 6-9 wins before the season and while I think we'll hit the higher end of that, I wasn't vibing with the recent hype.

Still, while we're very likely to go 2-3 into the bye, we have a favorable schedule coming out of it. But we do have to take advantage of the middle portion of the schedule because we end on a string of away games.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Let's face it, we made the mistake of looking past Oakland a bit, and they hung some points on us early that we couldn't recover from.

We don't know this, and if the team did overlook Oakland then that is on coaching.  It doesn't matter what this forum thinks, we aren't the ones playing the game.  More than likely it is because of the following reasons:

Our defense still has the same issues as the other weeks:

- can't tackle

- can't stop anyone in the pass game (everything is 8 yards AT LEAST)

- small and fast is okay if they get penetration....but we don't

- cover 2 can work if you play from a lead and have pass rushers worth a damn.....we don't

- cover 2 with a small defensive line seems to suck against the run (both in Peyton's day and now).

I really wonder how the Bears made it work so well because it doesn't seem like any other team has success with it except them (and Tampa many moons ago).

Offense:

- we love to grab wide receivers in the draft and free agency that are known for drop issues and then are stunned when they drop balls.  Here is a list of the ones that were known for it in college or pros:

- Ebron

- Funchess

- Deon Cain

- Chester Rodgers

- verdict is still out on Jacoby

- I don't think Mack can carry the load of workhorse RB

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Losing this game was a gutpunch.  I see a lot of fans hurting right now, and for pretty good reason. 

That said, we're in a better position than 2-2 makes it look like,  Especially because the Texans lost this week too.  We still have a fighting chance at the division, especially if we can be healthy.  I think we go to 2-3 after the Chiefs game at Arrowhead, but after that we should be able to rally and pick up some wins and make gains towards being a playoff contender again as the season goes on.

Anyone who wants to give up now is welcome to turn in their blue horseshoe at the desk out front.  I still think we have a fighting chance.   This is a young team that has a good shot at being better in the second half of the season as we cut dead weight and improve the pieces we have.  I also expect to see Ballard invest in talent in problem areas.  As long as we don't go too far into the hole before we get our feet back under us, this team should be OK in the longterm

One thing this defeat did prove though is we're probably not premium contenders this year.  We can fight for a playoff spot but we're not an elite NFL team quite this year.  So this year is not "win now mode" time.  Not quite yet.  Primary goal should be developing our talent, including Brissett, and arranging the future reinforcements we need to contend in 2020-2021.

Part of that is identifying our weaknesses.  Heres how I see them in this snapshot of time

We badly need an upgrade in depth to our LB group. Adding some muscle there wouldn't hurt us at all

We could  use a couple more DBs for coverage depth to allow us the freedom to go man coverage more often. 

We may also need a new DC if Eberfluss can't fix this D in season or make adjustments in coverage.

I don't think it is coachjng.  This D needs pressure from the front 4.  If they don't pressure it makes ordinary qbs look like hall of famers

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

People were worried we'd lose 'Flus to another team as a head coach after last year.  We do not need a new DC.  We need to get healthy and as @Moosejawcolt says, we need to get consistent pressure from our front 4.

10 minutes ago, bhougland said:

We don't know this, and if the team did overlook Oakland then that is on coaching.  It doesn't matter what this forum thinks, we aren't the ones playing the game.  More than likely it is because of the following reasons:

- can't tackle

- cover 2 can work if you play from a lead and have pass rushers worth a damn.....we don't

- cover 2 with a small defensive line seems to suck against the run (both in Peyton's day and now).

I really wonder how the Bears made it work so well because it doesn't seem like any other team has success with it except them (and Tampa many moons ago).

Offense:

- we love to grab wide receivers in the draft and free agency that are known for drop issues and then are stunned when they drop balls.  Here is a list of the ones that were known for it in college or pros:

- Ebron

- Funchess

- Deon Cain

- Chester Rodgers

This sounds about right except your point about Mack, i think the "workhorse RB" of the NFL is obsolete, Zeke is as close to as your going to get these days and he is an exception. We just need some better depth behind Mack, lets face it Hines is WR out of the backfield. Wilkins shows signs of promise but the verdict is still out.

Just now, Nesjan3 said:

This sounds about right except your point about Mack, i think the "workhorse RB" of the NFL is obsolete, Zeke is as close to as your going to get these days and he is an exception. We just need some better depth behind Mack, lets face it Hines is WR out of the backfield. Wilkins shows signs of promise but the verdict is still out.

I agree, I don't think a workhorse back is the objective, just that Mack always seems to have nagging injuries.  I have never felt comfortable with our stable of running backs behind Mack.

26 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I want to see defensive smart people who anticpate throws mear the first down marker on 3rd and long....lets get off the damn field.

21 minutes ago, bhougland said:

- can't tackle

Offense:

- Ebron

- Funchess

- Deon Cain

- Chester Rodgers

A whole lot of honesty right here. Could agree more!

29 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

there was no chance of being a premium contender this year, not after Luck retired.  its going to be about figuring out Jacoby and if we want to stick with him, and finding some depth on defense 

Judging by the play on defense so far this season, there wasn't going to be a chance of being a premium contender even with Luck. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

It's no big setback...we are a .500-ish team...get used to it.

1 hour ago, ManningGM said:

Judging by the play on defense so far this season, there wasn't going to be a chance of being a premium contender even with Luck. 

I agree. That was the problem throughout Luck's career vs teams like the Pats, Steelers, and Chiefs. I thought this year coming in that our defense would be good, is why I said with Luck Final 4 but it isn't so far. Brissett can't win when our defense plays like it did today.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

One maxim I try to repeat every week:

"You are never as good as, nor as bad as, your last game."

If you win a fantastic game against a top tier opponent, don't get cocky, and think that all starting 22 guys should go to the pro bowl.

If you lose badly to a team that should have been a cupcake, it doesn't mean that you need to jettison the entire team, front office, coaching staff, and start over.

Take a deep breath.  Go home.  Get some sleep.  And remember the maxim.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Looks to me we are heading to an 8-8 season with a defense that's straight trash and a backup qb at the helm. IMO the defense isn't going to magically get better. We get gashed with the run and we can't generate any pressure on the qb. Looks like a wasted season. Luck covered up a lot.....too bad he gave up.

Yeah, Andrew generated extra offense and kept our D on the sidelines more.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Looks to me we are heading to an 8-8 season with a defense that's straight trash and a backup qb at the helm. IMO the defense isn't going to magically get better. We get gashed with the run and we can't generate any pressure on the qb. Looks like a wasted season. Luck covered up a lot.....too bad he gave up.

If we go 8-8 it most likely won’t be JB Fault. What it does and maybe it’s a blessing not having luck it will make the organization take off the blinders and improve this D.

How do we handle it??? We + and moan all week. Then Sunday we tune in, loaded with hope for a miracle with this D against KC. Then after the slaughter, we rinse and repeat and hope the bye week makes a difference.

Edited by ColtsAC
Typo

Fan "Dr. So and so.....how will we handle a loss?"

Dr. So and so : "I suggest a lot of emotional hand wringing, and make sure to include some overreaction. If you're still having issues, try to get plenty of finger pointing in. If nothing else, it will make you feel better. 

IDK folks.  The entire conference is 2-2 (or so it seems), including the whole AFC South, and only 3 teams have winning records (Pats, Chiefs, Bills).  Yes, we may run into a buzz saw in KC next week, but this entire season so far has been unpredictable.  I half joked to my son before the game that wouldn't it be weird if we lost to the Raiders and then won in KC?  Who knows?

The schedule is not that daunting after the bye.  They started 1-5 last season.  To quote the Rev. Jesse Jackson: "You nevah know".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Introspect said:

Too many on this board were underrating the Raiders.

This is the NFL. You can get smoked by anyone on any given Sunday.

Not a setback just a learning experience for team and fans alike,

Most definitely a setback.  We could have been going into the bye week 3-2.   That would have been huge.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

If we go 8-8 it most likely won’t be JB Fault. What it does and maybe it’s a blessing not having luck it will make the organization take off the blinders and improve this D.

Jacoby is just mediocre, he wont be the reason we make the playoffs and win games either 

• Like 1

The Colts need to stay the course. Play the starters against the Chiefs because we will gain team chemistry, and young players will gain experience. 

Brisett looks like a good QB to me as a starter. Cain and Campbell are rookies.

Our 2 starting receivers were out this game.  Once we get to 8 games we will know the level of talent we have.  If we go 10-6 again and win the division then anything can happen in the playoffs.

26 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Wait til next Sunday against KC. 

People on this forum will be like  

giphy.gif

I don't think so.   I think we expect to lose next week.   This week hurt because we should be able to beat the Raiders.  I may have been the only one who was worried about this game.

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I was one of them, Chucky showed me he wasn't a clown lmao . Our defense is concerning right now. That may me make be careful predicting these games the rest of the year to be honest. 

I was also caught off guard by this one.  I forgot the rule for predicting games for young squads; expect the unexpected.  What bugged me most was the Ebron drops.  He's known for a dro a game, but he's one of the leaders of this team and he (even admitted) came out flat.  The Campbell fumble was a rookie mistake, it happens.

So many people are harping on the D (rightly so), but forgetting/not mentioning how much the offense didn't contribute.  In all fairness, that's got to start affecting how the D plays.  The D gave the offense a chance in the end, but the O dug themselves into a hole of predictability which helped lead to the interception.  Yeah, it was still a bad throw, though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Myles said:

Most definitely a setback.  We could have been going into the bye week 3-2.   That would have been huge.   

So every loss is a set back?  Following that logic then 31 teams have "setbacks" since there is only 1 champion every year. 

It was a loss to a team outside our division. A loss to a division team can be called a setback  ( just my opinion)

1 hour ago, Introspect said:

So every loss is a set back?  Following that logic then 31 teams have "setbacks" since there is only 1 champion every year. 

It was a loss to a team outside our division. A loss to a division team can be called a setback  ( just my opinion)

When you look like a borderline playoff team,any loss to a team that you should beat is a setback.   The Raiders aren't an awful team, but they shouldn't have won in Indy.  

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

When you look like a borderline playoff team,any loss to a team that you should beat is a setback.   The Raiders aren't an awful team, but they shouldn't have won in Indy.  

The Colts should have won.  But in the end it's a loss to an AFC team, it's no more or less important than any other non divisional, conference game.

4 hours ago, atapcl said:

The Colts need to stay the course. Play the starters against the Chiefs because we will gain team chemistry, and young players will gain experience. 

Brisett looks like a good QB to me as a starter. Cain and Campbell are rookies.

Our 2 starting receivers were out this game.  Once we get to 8 games we will know the level of talent we have.  If we go 10-6 again and win the division then anything can happen in the playoffs.

They will, they are not the kind of organization to make any knee jerk moves. We just want to see improvement on defense, and I personally would not mind any trades for a quality DL before the bye week. That is my biggest beef.