Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why no onside kick?

Just now, bravo4460 said:

He put trust in our Swiss cheese defense.

One thing I like about Reich is he trusts his players (even at times when maybe he shouldn't)... still, at the point in the game it's up to the players to make plays to get the ball back to our offense.

• Like 1

Apparently he doesn't trust special teams. I realize the low likeliness of recovering the kick, and I also realize that it would have put them close to field goal range, but it was still our best option. Even if the defense stopped them on three straight incomplete passes that took almost no time off of the clock we would have had very little time left with a long field to go after the punt (without two of our biggest offensive weapons). He knew they would not be passes and we would have also had to use our timeouts. SMH.

2 minutes ago, Detectacon said:

Who cares about the field position with a minute left and you are down by 7? If they had good field position we either lost by 7 or by 10. Either way we lost. We should have taken the chance on the kick. 

It should  have never come to that

• Like 3

The way our defense was playing I would've went for the onsides kick. I was shocked when we didn't the way our defense was playing. We had all 3 timeouts, JB just threw a strike to Ebron to get us within 7. Credit to Oakland, weeks happen like this. I will say this, I am still surprised our defense played that bad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, IndySouthsider said:

Doubt we see any successful onside kicks anymore. Banning the running start has pretty much eliminated the option.

This. They were hardly ever successful and now they're nearly impossible. 

• Like 1

I would go for the onside kick. Either way you need a 3 and out on D.

Kick long (or pouch). Raiders ball on 25 yard line. Let's say they get 8 yards and punt from the 33. We'll go with a 40 yard net. Colts get ball on their own 27 yard line, about 45 seconds left.

Onside kick. We'll say Raiders recover at 50 yard line. They gain 8 yards to the Colts 42. There's no way they try a long FG and risk giving you the ball at midfield. They will punt. You rush 10 so they go max protection. There's a good chance you get a touchback and ball at the 25. If not, maybe you get the ball on the 15. Let's use that scenario. You are taking away a chance to recover an onside kick, and all you've gained is 12 yards.

As for the onside kick: the Raiders had 10 guys at the line and 1 around the 25 or 30. The kicker needs to lay the ball on it's side on the ground (there is no rule requiring use of a tee). He rips a low kick as hard as he can right at one of the up guys and hopes for a carom/rebound. If it misses everyone it simply goes to the deep guy, but in a tough to handle way, as it's squibbing around, so there's almost no chance of him returning it more than a few yards.

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2019 at 1:48 PM, coltsva said:

As for the onside kick: the Raiders had 10 guys at the line and 1 around the 25 or 30. The kicker needs to lay the ball on it's side on the ground (there is no rule requiring use of a tee). He rips a low kick as hard as he can right at one of the up guys and hopes for a carom/rebound. If it misses everyone it simply goes to the deep guy, but in a tough to handle way, as it's squibbing around, so there's almost no chance of him returning it more than a few yards.

Lions did this onside kick today, and it worked! Reich may not read this forum, but apparently Patricia does.

40 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

That type of kick is not guaranteed 

No, it’s not, but going back to the Oakland game, it was debated whether Colts should have onside kicked or kicked deep. I mentioned this type of kick as a “hedge” where there is a chance to recover, but if you don’t, there’s a good chance the ball goes to the deep guy. 

32 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Going into this week there were only 2 out of 37 onside kicks recovered. 

That's pretty slim.

And crazy that the falcons recovered 3 onside kicks in a row last night. 

(One nullified by a bogus penalty)

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, coltsva said:

And crazy that the falcons recovered 3 onside kicks in a row last night. 

(One nullified by a bogus penalty)

Yes it was unreal. It was like the Saint players were standing around waiting for the ball. It made it interesting for sure. :)

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes it was unreal. It was like the Saint players were standing around waiting for the ball. It made it interesting for sure. :)

Kamara and Thomas were not "all in" on taking on a linebacker coming at them at full speed. Can't say I blame them. At some point, self preservation mode kicks in.

• Haha 1