Indianapolis Colts
CR91

The most hated/disappointing colt?

10 hours ago, Believe blue1306 said:

Booger.. not as a player but as an announcer. I can't watch MNF cause of him

The entire MNF production is trash.  Booger is terrible but fits right in.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That liquored kicker of our's joins in the discussion too. His miss vs Pitt in the 2005 playoffs was pathetic.

That missed kick changed him. He was never any good after that moment

Kickers are strange animals

• Like 1

16 hours ago, csmopar said:

Not the most hated, but by far the most disappointing, in hindsight.....

Andrew Luck.

Now before you all flame me ,hear me out.  I think its the most disappointing not because of his play but because of how his career went. Yes, we can blame Grigson, Pags, the OL, heck, Jim Irsay etc. But Luck shares part of it too.  He never fully reached his prime, no championships, no MVPs, a couple pro-bowl alternates, thats it. Out of a once promising prospect, the best since Elway, the once in a generation talent, taken number 1 overall.   To me, the last 7 years have largely been a disappointment as we have nothing to show for the Luck era but drama and injuries.

None of how his career went is on him this team failed him.

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That liquored kicker of our's joins in the discussion too. His miss vs Pitt in the 2005 playoffs was pathetic.

I liked Vandy.   1st or 2nd best kicker the Colts ever had in my opinion.   

His 2003 season was amazing.  37/37 FG's and 46/46 extra points.  

Retired as the most accurate kicker in NFL history.

Faulk.  If he plays in the 95 champ game we go to the Super Bowl.   Turf toe nonsense.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

None of how his career went is on him this team failed him.

Yes and no. Luck often times held onto the ball too long, part of that was scheme, part was his own desire to extend plays. 

That said, looking back, you can’t say that his career wasn’t a disappointment, regardless of cause

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yes and no. Luck often times held onto the ball too long, part of that was scheme, part was his own desire to extend plays. 

That said, looking back, you can’t say that his career wasn’t a disappointment, regardless of cause

Colts still failed him not the other way around the fact that the colts didn't build a team around him is down right criminal.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Colts still failed him not the other way around the fact that the colts didn't build a team around him is down right criminal.

I agree. There are not many QB's in NFL history that could've lead his team to 11 wins 3 years in a row with what Luck had from 2012-2014. In that time frame I think we only had 1 game where a RB went over 100 Yards. Our O.Line was bad as well.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CR91 said:

This should be interesting. I have a few good ones off the top of my head.

- Trent the blind squirrel Richardson

- Fumble bandit Keith

- Mike the * kicker vanderjagt

- The greatest Wr hype of all time Roy Hall

- Hank super bowl mvp Baskett

- Ryan the linemen, but cant draft linemen Grigson

Vandejerk 

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I agree 110 percent. Especially prior to Ballard. 

That said, it still doesn’t change the facts. We have no titles to show for having a once in a generation talent. That once in a generation talent has zero MVPs, has a few highlights and that’s about it

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree. There are not many QB's in NFL history that could've lead his team to 11 wins 3 years in a row with what Luck had from 2012-2014. In that time frame I think we only had 1 game where a RB went over 100 Yards. Our O.Line was bad as well.

And that’s part of why I said his career here was a disappointment 

• Like 1

The tripe about Vanderjagt is pathetic. His record was awesome. People here seem to be frightened to lay the blame for THAT defeat on Manning. Just like he blamed the oline. The 'Scapegoat' kicker it seems.....

Peyton was dire in that game. There, I said it. Now hunt me down and torch me....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

The tripe about Vanderjagt is pathetic. His record was awesome. People here seem to be frightened to lay the blame for THAT defeat on Manning. Just like he blamed the oline. The 'Scapegoat' kicker it seems.....

Peyton was dire in that game. There, I said it. Now hunt me down and torch me....

Didn’t he throw 3 ints that game? 

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I agree 110 percent. Especially prior to Ballard. 

That said, it still doesn’t change the facts. We have no titles to show for having a once in a generation talent. That once in a generation talent has zero MVPs, has a few highlights and that’s about it

He was compared to Elway. That is about right.
 Elway threw the ball hard, wild, and ran the ball a lot to win games.
 And he went 15-16 years without a SB win.
  Until he had a very good team and a great running game did he win one.
    Our last QB was highly overrated and was not much over .500 outside of his division.

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

Our last QB was highly overrated and was not much over .500 outside of his division.

Yep. So you would agree it was disappointing 

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

Except Elway made the SB 3 times in his first 7 years and lost to great teams. Luck didn't make it once. I would of bet he never made or won a SB with Brady and Mahomes playing even if he didn't retire.

28 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

CxM7kj.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, braveheartcolt said:

I actually agree with this. 

Peyton was absolutely atrocious in big games for a long time at the beginning of his career and never got the criticism he deserved for that, locally.

The best teams he was ever on were actually very early in his career, and Peyton let them down in the big moments, consistently. He came in to a pretty talented team his rookie year...... Harrison, Faulk, Dilger, Pollard, Steve McKinney, Tarik Glenn......and the narrative was always the opposite. The team that finally broke through was nowhere near our best squad, Peyton just finally delivered a great performance when it mattered, in that 2nd half of the Patriots game, but not before stinking it up, again, in the first half.

He also gets a pass for the undefeated season that got ruined late, because he flamed out that season also. Taking a week off isn't an excuse for laying an egg in the postseason, because we were still easily the most talented squad that season. But it over shadowed his own failure, and his fans never missed an opportunity to protect him from the blame.

People trash Luck for putting us in a hole in games and then bringing us out if it. But they never do that same to Peyton for the one time he did that in the playoffs against the Pats. It really grinds my gears. It's amazing how the perspective flips from one player to another.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Except Elway made the SB 3 times in his first 7 years and lost to great teams. Luck didn't make it once. I would of bet he never made or won a SB with Brady and Mahomes playing even if he didn't retire.

Those Broncos teams were really good beyond Elway tho. Lucks teams werent SB caliber.

False equivalency. 

Yep as good as Peyton and luck were they always did stupid things early and then would get praise for bringing us back. Never understood it when they were the reason we got down by so many points. That is what I love about JB. I don’t see him doing stupid things that will create a big hole early. It should keep us in almost every game if the defense can improve.

29 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Those Broncos teams were really good beyond Elway tho. Lucks teams werent SB caliber.

False equivalency. 

Not only that the AFC was weak back then compared to the NFC. Luck always had to deal with Brady/BB in the same conference when he played. The 3 times Elway made the SB early in his career, the Broncos got crushed in all 3. 

29 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

I actually agree with this. 

Peyton was absolutely atrocious in big games for a long time at the beginning of his career and never got the criticism he deserved for that, locally.

The best teams he was ever on were actually very early in his career, and Peyton let them down in the big moments, consistently. He came in to a pretty talented team his rookie year...... Harrison, Faulk, Dilger, Pollard, Steve McKinney, Tarik Glenn......and the narrative was always the opposite. The team that finally broke through was nowhere near our best squad, Peyton just finally delivered a great performance when it mattered, in that 2nd half of the Patriots game, but not before stinking it up, again, in the first half.

He also gets a pass for the undefeated season that got ruined late, because he flamed out that season also. Taking a week off isn't an excuse for laying an egg in the postseason, because we were still easily the most talented squad that season. But it over shadowed his own failure, and his fans never missed an opportunity to protect him from the blame.

People trash Luck for putting us in a hole in games and then bringing us out if it. But they never do that same to Peyton for the one time he did that in the playoffs against the Pats. It really grinds my gears. It's amazing how the perspective flips from one player to another.

Manning had Happy Feet up through the Steelers Playoff game where they pressured him and he lost another one. I recall that being his 5th season.
 He is nowhere near the Goat for me, but in IMO, he came back the next season a new man. He became unflappable. Very close to the guy in NE.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not only that the AFC was weak back then compared to the NFC. Luck always had to deal with Brady/BB in the same conference when he played. The 3 times Elway made the SB early in his career, the Broncos got crushed in all 3. 

Yes it was very similar to the way the NBA has been over recent years where the top 3-4 teams could've whacked whoever got thru the AFC. The NFC was like the Western conference.

He barely got thru the Cleveland Browns one year, and they werent exactly the NE Patriots.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Manning had Happy Feet up through the Steelers Playoff game where they pressured him and he lost another one. I recall that being his 5th season.
 He is nowhere near the Goat for me, but in IMO, he came back the next season a new man. He became unflappable. Very close to the guy in NE.

Yes, he overcame it in that 2nd half against the Pats. But up until then he was not the guy people make him out to be. 

It was one of those things where he got enough opportunities to finally slay his demons. 

5 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Yes it was very similar to the way the NBA has been over recent years where the top 3-4 teams could've whacked whoever got thru the AFC. The NFC was like the Western conference.

He barely got thru the Cleveland Browns one year, and they werent exactly the NE Patriots.

I agree, that is like someone saying Cam is better than Luck because he got to a SB. I disagree with that also. The year the Panthers made the SB they failed miserably in the SB vs the Broncos and I do not believe they would've beat the Pats either. They beat the Cards to get to the SB lmao .

In 2003 and 2004 the Patriots simply had the better all-around team compared to us. We were very good but they were great in every phase + had HFA in those playoff games. In 2005 vs Pitt, we were better than Pitt IMO, so Manning laid an egg there i'll admit. Vander did miss the game tying FG chance at the end though. In 2006 Manning and the Colts broke through and Manning played a perfect 2nd half vs the Pats in the AFC Title Game. We had HFA that season vs the Pats which makes a huge difference.

Most disappointing:

1) Ryan Grigson 

2) Forfeiting a perfect season in 2009 due to playing conservative. Aka the Curtis Painter game vs the Jets.

3) Luck retiring with the best Colts team ever around him. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In 2003 and 2004 the Patriots simply had the better all-around team compared to us. We were very good but they were great in every phase + had HFA in those playoff games. In 2005 vs Pitt, we were better than Pitt IMO, so Manning laid an egg there i'll admit. Vander did miss the game tying FG chance at the end though. In 2006 Manning and the Colts broke through and Manning played a perfect 2nd half vs the Pats in the AFC Title Game. We had HFA that season vs the Pats which makes a huge difference.

I strongly disagree that the Patriots were that much better than us. They did not have a great offense at that time. They were just good. They had the better defense for sure.

But our offense was easily the best in the league, much better than theirs. 

Regardless, we got waxed and we didnt show up. I dont condemn Peyton for losing, I condemn him for being owned. If we were competitive at all, I would agree with you. But they dominated us, and we were way too good to allow anyone to do that. And Peyton clearly got rattled in both games.

Peyton also laid eggs against the Jets (we were completely shut out), and the Titans at home, in that span.

On 9/27/2019 at 3:31 PM, csmopar said:

Not the most hated, but by far the most disappointing, in hindsight.....

Andrew Luck.

Now before you all flame me ,hear me out.  I think its the most disappointing not because of his play but because of how his career went. Yes, we can blame Grigson, Pags, the OL, heck, Jim Irsay etc. But Luck shares part of it too.  He never fully reached his prime, no championships, no MVPs, a couple pro-bowl alternates, thats it. Out of a once promising prospect, the best since Elway, the once in a generation talent, taken number 1 overall.   To me, the last 7 years have largely been a disappointment as we have nothing to show for the Luck era but drama and injuries.

I'd love to hear Peyton's unfiltered opinion of Luck's retirement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

False equivalency. 

Oh well, not every situation can be close enough to get a perfect comparison. Elway and Luck are both former no1 picks that had hype, that makes it close enough.

25 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Oh well, not every situation can be close enough to get a perfect comparison. Elway and Luck are both former no1 picks that had hype, that makes it close enough.

Jeff George was miles more disappointing than Luck

• Like 2

Let's just skip through the yearbooks, shall we?

1990 D1 Jeff George - Local product with a million dollar arm and a 5 cent head

1992 D1 Steve Emtman - Monster of a man who could never stay healthy

1992 D1b Quentin Coryatt - Lots of hype, but not that much production

1993 D1 Sean Dawkins - You could literally see him yawn while he ran routes

1994 D1b Trev Alberts - Mel Kiper was right

2000 D1 Rob Morris - I liked him, but he wasn't cut out for the Tampa 2 MLB

2007 D1 Anthony Gonzalez - Never did anything.  Anything.  Bust bust bust.

2007 D2 Tony Ugoh - How do you replace Tarik Glenn?  Well, not like this.

2012 D2 Coby Fleener - Wasn't bad, and was Luck's college bud, but wore out his welcome

2013 D1 Bjorn Werner - Bad drafting.  He never played OLB.  Why would you think he could?

2013 FA Trent Richardson - "Rolling ball of butcher knives"?  Uh, no.

2015 D1 Phillip Dorsett - Wasted pick.  Bust bust bust

2015 D2 D'Joun Smith - See above.  Bust bust bust

2016 D2 T. J. Green - Drafted for his size and speed.  But didn't know how to play football.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Let's just skip through the yearbooks, shall we?

1990 D1 Jeff George - Local product with a million dollar arm and a 5 cent head

1992 D1 Steve Emtman - Monster of a man who could never stay healthy

1992 D1b Quentin Coryatt - Lots of hype, but not that much production

1994 D1b Trev Alberts - Mel Kiper was right

2000 D1 Rob Morris - I liked him, but he wasn't cut out for the Tampa 2 MLB

2007 D1 Anthony Gonzalez - Never did anything.  Anything.  Bust bust bust.

2007 D2 Tony Ugoh - How do you replace Tarik Glenn?  Well, not like this.

2012 D2 Coby Fleener - Wasn't bad, and was Luck's college bud, but wore out his welcome

2013 D1 Bjorn Werner - Bad drafting.  He never played OLB.  Why would you think he could?

2013 FA Trent Richardson - "Rolling ball of butcher knives"?  Uh, no.

2015 D1 Phillip Dorsett - Wasted pick.  Bust bust bust

2015 D2 D'Joun Smith - See above.  Bust bust bust

2016 D2 T. J. Green - Drafted for his size and speed.  But didn't know how to play football.

Throw Hank Baskett in there and Bill Polian's decision to quit on a perfect season in 2009, then this post gets an A+ :thmup: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

I strongly disagree that the Patriots were that much better than us. They did not have a great offense at that time. They were just good. They had the better defense for sure.

But our offense was easily the best in the league, much better than theirs. 

Regardless, we got waxed and we didnt show up. I dont condemn Peyton for losing, I condemn him for being owned. If we were competitive at all, I would agree with you. But they dominated us, and we were way too good to allow anyone to do that. And Peyton clearly got rattled in both games.

Peyton also laid eggs against the Jets (we were completely shut out), and the Titans at home, in that span.

I will agree the Pats weren't a whole lot better in 2003 and 2004 but they had the better defense, SP Teams, and Head Coach. They were better though overall. They also played those games in NE where hardly nobody has ever won in the Brady/BB era. Our Offense was more explosive but not in snow and wind that hampered it a bit. Also the Pats had a very good if not great offense back then, they were just more conservative than us. They rarely turned it over and had a great QB that was dangerous.

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

And he would smile after dropping passes.  Drove me crazy.  

Good list!

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Throw Hank Baskett in there and Bill Polian's decision to quit on a perfect season in 2009, 

That would win for my biggest Colts disappointment.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, csmopar said:

I don't think it was. What was disappointing was an influx of bad offensive coordinators throughout his career that did him no service (aside from BA rookie year) and a front office that couldn't draft (after 2012) nor put together a roster that protected their main asset. His career was not disappointing. This organization was. Last year was one of the most exciting and enjoyable seasons... #12's injuries just kept stacking on top of one another.