Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Going from Good to Great - Consistency

coltsfeva

I heard a local Philadelphia Hall of Fame sportswriter (Ray Didinger) make this statement; “ Going from good to great is a matter of consistency”.  

True in so many ways for players. To do things consistently right will bring success, not only for the individual, but for their respective units, as a whole.

I suppose there has to be consistency in coaching, but there’s that element of surprise against certain opponents or in certain situations.

The Colts are good now. We’ve all been through some tough times as Colts fans. But great is right around the corner and they are going to have to be great to get where they want to go. 

I found quotes about going from good to great that I thought had relevance:

https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/1094028-good-to-great-why-some-companies-make-the-leap-and-others-don-t

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

And going from Great to Good is your Franchise QB retiring right before the season. 

We need to be thankful that we are still a pretty solid football team. Most winning teams could go from great to awful after losing their starting QB. Meanwhile, we are still going to be a very very competitive team this entire year. 

With the way our team is setup, there aren't many teams in the NFL that we are incapable of beating. We aren't completely set up to stop high power offenses just yet but our gameplans and strategy can definitely make those games more competitive then some think. 

• Like 2

Agreed that Consistency is gonna be the name of the game going forard.  We've proven we CAN play on that level,but this is a young team and consistency is going to be an issue.

If Reich can bring us over that threshold into being a consistently dangerous team to play against this year, then we can look forward to years as a prime contender.

14 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

And going from Great to Good is your Franchise QB retiring right before the season. 

Honestly if his heart wasn't in it we'd probably be taking a step backward with Luck under center anyway.  He may have done us a solid by letting us put Brissett in the driver's seat and let him develop while he still had time.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

With the way our team is setup, there aren't many teams in the NFL that we are incapable of beating. We aren't completely set up to stop high power offenses just yet but our gameplans and strategy can definitely make those games more competitive then some think. 

I agree.   But on the other hand, there aren't many teams in the NFL that are incapable of beating us.   We've played 3 good teams so far, but each game was extremely close and could have gone either way.  This week at home is the first chance for the Colts to dominate an inferior team.  If we win close again, it'll show that we are still not where we need to be as a good team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CaptainColt12 said:

You know....I can say this with a straight face. I am not rationalizing. There are reasons why we lost something when Luck retired, But we also gained some things. I cannot honestly state that we would have a better record with Luck back there. 

No, I am not saying Jacoby is better, or even as good. But where we lose some aspects with the QB change, we gain some. Jacoby seems more at peace checking off and throwing it away. He is very slippery when coverage breaks down, and lastly, there is the bonding that happens from the rest of the team, perhaps wanting to pick up Jacoby, rather than being used to Luck's heroics. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I agree.   But on the other hand, there aren't many teams in the NFL that are incapable of beating us.   We've played 3 good teams so far, but each game was extremely close and could have gone either way.  This week at home is the first chance for the Colts to dominate an inferior team.  If we win close again, it'll show that we are still not where we need to be as a good team.

You're a real "glass is half full" type of guy aren't you.  :)

I do agree, I think the D is another year away from being a good D.  And while I am becoming a JB fan, I'm not convinced yet that he is the future of the Colt franchise.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I do agree, I think the D is another year away from being a good D.  And while I am becoming a JB fan, I'm not convinced yet that he is the future of the Colt franchise.

I thought most would have taken my comment as a "half empty" comment.   

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I thought most would have taken my comment as a "half empty" comment.   

I was just saying something like this to @Myles in a previous thread... in my short time on this forum I have learned that he is neither a glass half full or half empty type... but rather a “take the glass of water and throw it in your face with blunt facts” type :lol:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CaptainColt12 said:

You know how you have a great consistent football team... and beat powerhouses like New England?? You don't turn the ball over. 

"In six games, Luck completed 55 percent of his passes against the Patriots with as many touchdown passes as interceptions. He was 150-of-272 for 1,771 yards with 12 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. In two playoff games — one of which being the infamous Deflategate game — Luck completed 43.2 percent of his passes with two touchdowns and six (!) interceptions."

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2019 at 12:34 PM, ColtStrong2013 said:

You know how you have a great consistent football team... and beat powerhouses like New England?? You don't turn the ball over. 

"In six games, Luck completed 55 percent of his passes against the Patriots with as many touchdown passes as interceptions. He was 150-of-272 for 1,771 yards with 12 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. In two playoff games — one of which being the infamous Deflategate game — Luck completed 43.2 percent of his passes with two touchdowns and six (!) interceptions."

Don't start discrediting Luck, Brissett will never and I repeat NEVER be as good as Luck and that's just the truth that every colts fan has to accept. Marino Manning Elway and Favre all threw picks and had bad(lots of times) completion percentages. Those are stat lines you have to give up to win games.

4 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

Don't start discrediting Luck, Brissett will never and I repeat NEVER be as good as Luck and that's just the truth that every colts fan has to accept. Marino Manning Elway and Favre all threw picks and had bad(lots of times) completion percentages. Those are stat lines you have to give up to win games.

I can discredit Luck in the big games he played. Just like we can all discredit Manning in playoffs. They simply didn't live up to their standard of performance. Those games were not good enough to beat, or even come close in some to the Patriots and you know it... 

I also not once mentioned that Brissett would do better did I? So thanks for putting words in my mouth. I simply said how you beat a powerhouse, and Luck didn't do it. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I can discredit Luck in the big games he played. Just like we can all discredit Manning in playoffs. They simply didn't live up to their standard of performance. Those games were not good enough to beat, or even come close in some to the Patriots and you know it... 

I also not once mentioned that Brissett would do better did I? So thanks for putting words in my mouth. I simply said how you beat a powerhouse, and Luck didn't do it. 

if you are gong to bring that up then it fair to entertain if we think Jacoby would do any better.  Luck never beat the patriots, thats true but who has Brissett beaten?   next week will be a good test