Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Lucky Colts Fan

NFL Top 100 throws of all time

Recommended Posts

 

I'm not sure who made this list, or what the criteria was for ranking these throws, so a lot of these are VERY debatable.  The ranking of many throws seem to be a product of the situation (game-winner, critical throw in the playoffs, the names of the QB and receiver, etc.) as opposed to just the throw itself, and there were just as many where the receiver made the throw look better than it really was by making a great adjustment and catch.  Case-in-point is the "helmet catch" being the #5 throw of all time... that was a duck of a throw.  Great escape by Manning and great catch by Tyree, but that throw was not "great", it was an ugly prayer thrown into the middle of the field.  :dunno:  (Still one of my favorite plays of all-time, though! :D)

 

There were some throws that definitely belong on this list, and should maybe be higher.  Like Big Ben throwing a camel through a needle-eye to Holmes in the corner of the endzone in the Super Bowl.

 

A number of throws were throws that any NFL QB can make.  But there were a few made by Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes that make you realize that they are probably the only two humans on the planet that can make certain throws.  Amazing amazing arm-talent in those two.

 

I almost forgot how great Brunell-to-Smith was for the Jags.

 

As flashy as Vick was with his legs, he could throw the ball a country mile.

 

Luck made the list once, and Manning made it three times, but only once as a Colt.  :(  I found that surprising.  Manning didn't throw the prettiest ball, but he threw some absolute dimes to Marvin Harrison over the years, and yet not one throw from Manning-to-Harrison made the list...  :scorebad:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manning to Tyree belongs and it wasn’t a duck. 

 

Favre to Freeman from the 1999 comeback is the best throw I’ve ever seen. It was during the TD drive, but not the TD. It probably didn’t even make the ballot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Manning to Tyree belongs and it wasn’t a duck. 

 

Favre to Freeman from the 1999 comeback is the best throw I’ve ever seen. It was during the TD drive, but not the TD. It probably didn’t even make the ballot. 

Are you talking about the Monday Night game vs Minnesota? I remember Freeman making a unreal catch in OT in that game to win it from Favre. Al Michaels thought it was incomplete at 1st. I think the Tyree catch from Eli should be #1 because it changed history, without that, the Pats go 19-0. It was also an incredible throw under pressure. The Franco catch was incredible too from Bradshaw, nobody knew what was going on haha . Montana to Clark was great too, that is #1 only because they beat Dallas IMO lmao . That Dallas team was loaded and it was Montana beating them by 1 point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Manning to Tyree belongs and it wasn’t a duck.

 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think the Tyree catch from Eli should be #1 because it changed history, without that, the Pats go 19-0. It was also an incredible throw under pressure.

 

Maybe the top play of all time.  Like I said, that was one of my favorite plays ever.  And because of the situation and significance, it would be #1 on a lot of different lists.  But top throws?  Watch the throw itself again.  It was a fluttering duck, not a perfect spiral.  And because of how Tyree had to catch it, the throw was obviously not accurate, or it would have hit Tyree in the numbers.

 

This was a list of the top THROWS.  Not catches.  Not plays.  Throws.  If I'm making a list of the top throws of all time, regardless of game-situation or who threw it, just the quality of the actual throw, I'm not putting the helmet-catch on that list.  But I think I have a different criteria for making a list of top throws than whoever made this list.  :dunno:

 

This list should have been called "Top passing PLAYS of all time"...  I think it's ironic that the #1 throw of all time on this list is The Catch.  It's called The Catch, not The Throw.  :funny:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Are you talking about the Monday Night game vs Minnesota? I remember Freeman making a unreal catch in OT in that game to win it from Favre. Al Michaels thought it was incomplete at 1st. I think the Tyree catch from Eli should be #1 because it changed history, without that, the Pats go 19-0. It was also an incredible throw under pressure. The Franco catch was incredible too from Bradshaw, nobody knew what was going on haha . Montana to Clark was great too, that is #1 only because they beat Dallas IMO lmao . That Dallas team was loaded and it was Montana beating them by 1 point.

 

No no noooooooo that was from the early 2000s I’m pretty sure. Talk about a duck lol!

 

I’m talking about a 1999 game where he ran left as John Randle closed in, and threw it to Freeman who was running to his left (Favre’s right). He did it with a flick of his wrist and and landed right in his hands. Insane throw that nobody else could make.

 

The MNF is probably on the list :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2019 at 1:15 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think the Tyree catch from Eli should be #1 because it changed history, without that, the Pats go 19-0.

 

The power of ... gum!!  :lol:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seahawk's Tyler Lockett's catch last night from Wilson for a touchdown was pretty amazing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...