Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Baldy breaks down colts offense

Restinpeacesweetchloe

Watching some of the breakdown of Baldy. You guys think I'm being nitpicky with Brissett, but that throw to Hilton is bad. This is supposed to be a backshoulder throw that TY had to adjust to and he had to rely on an unexperienced CB not looking back, otherwise he could have intercepted it + it puts TY in horrible position to get blown up by the safety while trying to catch the ball... 

Also... look at the throw at 1:10 to Ebron.

KgIgxS0.jpg

Yes, it's a good throw to get the 1st down. But look at... who is that from the slot doing the vertical route? Is that Campbell? I think it is. This is a direct TD if Jacoby has the patience to wait just 0.1 seconds more AND if he sees the throw(BTW look at his head... he doesn't even look toward the other side of the field). The corner is occupied by TY who is running the corner route... that's one defender cleared. The linebacker leaves Campbell and gives him a free release because he's trying to cover Mack who's leaking out from the backfield. The only defender that has a chance in hell to get to Campbell is the safety, who has his hips turned the wrong way. If Jacoby throws this on a rope, this is a TD, IMO. 

While watching the game I didn't see much more that Jacoby could have done better, but even in this highlights video you can see some areas for improvement that can elevate Brissett to another level... 

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yes, it's a good throw to get the 1st down. But look at... who is that from the slot doing the vertical route? Is that Campbell? I think it is. This is a direct TD if Jacoby has the patience to wait just 0.1 seconds more AND if he sees the throw(BTW look at his head... he doesn't even look toward the other side of the field.

One thing I will say about Brissett is that, at least right now, I think he's kind of a one read guy. It just so happens that we're luck to have a great coach drawing up/calling the plays. I think he'll improve there as the season goes on though.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

Watching some of the breakdown of Baldy. You guys think I'm being nitpicky with Brissett, but that throw to Hilton is bad. This is supposed to be a backshoulder throw that TY had to adjust to and he had to rely on an unexperienced CB not looking back, otherwise he could have intercepted it + it puts TY in horrible position to get blown up by the safety while trying to catch the ball... 

KgIgxS0.jpg

Yes, it's a good throw to get the 1st down. But look at... who is that from the slot doing the vertical route? Is that Campbell? I think it is. This is a direct TD if Jacoby has the patience to wait just 0.1 seconds more AND if he sees the throw(BTW look at his head... he doesn't even look toward the other side of the field). The corner is occupied by TY who is running the corner route... that's one defender cleared. The linebacker leaves Campbell and gives him a free release because he's trying to cover Mack who's leaking out from the backfield. The only defender that has a chance in hell to get to Campbell is the safety, who has his hips turned the wrong way. If Jacoby throws this on a rope, this is a TD, IMO. 

While watching the game I didn't see much more that Jacoby could have done better, but even in this highlights video you can see some areas for improvement that can elevate Brissett to another level... 

Agreed.

However, you pointed out that throw that JB appeared to miss last week, where he could have anticipated him being open coming across the field. I feel like that same play was called this week, but to Ebron, and JB saw it and made the big throw. So I'll take the incremental improvement that he showed from Week 2 to Week 3, and hope that he continues to build on what he's doing. 

• Like 7

Just now, Superman said:

Agreed.

However, you pointed out that throw that JB appeared to miss last week, where he could have anticipated him being open coming across the field. I feel like that same play was called this week, but to Ebron, and JB saw it and made the big throw. So I'll take the incremental improvement that he showed from Week 2 to Week 3, and hope that he continues to build on what he's doing. 

Yep, that's what good coaching and receptive and smart player can do - they can improve the play incrementally week by week. If he stops improving or regressing that's when we should worry. 

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

KgIgxS0.jpg

I disagree. It was single safety high and the way the routes were being run, the safety could easily get there on time if Campbell was the go-to-guy. Just because his hips were turned to the wrong direction doesn't mean he cannot react and correct it. That is what gets you beat in the NFL, greed for getting more.

Mahomes, for all his MVP capabilities, just like Peyton (2005 playoff game), did not take checkdowns when the Patriots were sending extra DL to crash the A gaps and flush him but they left the RB open for most of the time. Once he caught on, in the second half, after being shut out of the first half, they started scoring, in fact, 2 checkdown TDs to RBs with YAC, if I remember right. Brissett did the right thing, taking the sure thing underneath.

• Like 1

He definitely needs to improve on his reads but I think that will come with more actual game time at game speed. I think overall my biggest areas I'd like him to improve are:

-Reading through his progressions a bit quicker

-Don't stare down  receivers, use a little theatrics to pause the safeties/LBs

-Get the ball out quicker on broken plays

Overall, I love the way he's played and am excited to see the improvements over the year. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The second throw to pascal sure didn’t look like a one read throw.  He trusts TY. Once he builds trust with the other receivers it will come.

Both plays to Pascal are designed plays specifically for Pascal. On the TD, this is NOT a read that Brissett is doing when he stares and fakes at Hines. This is a fake designed for the defense to bite on a non-existing screen which leaves Pascal open... Brissett just waits for Pascal to get open after he does his fake to Hines.

The second one to Pascal is very similar but on the left side. He fakes blocking and in a very similar way leaks out... Brissett is kind of staring him the whole way through, too... You know this was a designed play for Pascal. 

I read somewhere that Pascal was targeted 0 times out of 50+ plays he played before this first TD play. It's a perfect fake... you put a player who the opponent expects to be there to block... and he fakes blocking and they all bite... TWICE... in the same game... 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

I read somewhere that Pascal was targeted 0 times out of 50+ plays he played before this first TD play. It's a perfect fake... you put a player who the opponent expects to be there to block... and he fakes blocking and they all bite... TWICE... in the same game... 

To the defenders' credit, it was on opposite sides of the field. Bob Sutton knew Edelman was getting the ball, and still could not stop him last year in the AFCCG. Neither could Wade Philips. Not comparing Pascal to Edelman but just saying, it happens.

Seahawks, in the 2014 SB, Edelman did the hard in cut and did a quick 180 in the end zone, the first time Brady overthrew it. The second time, they tried it again, it was the SB winning TD. Happens to the best of them, getting beat 2 times with the same kind of play. Now, if you get beat about 4 or 5 times, that is a bit too much. Even good OCs go to the same well multiple times a game. 

22 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I think Pascal was still who the play was drawn up for though.

Also, just to clarify I'm not saying Brissett is 100% incapable of making reads. But I do think he tends to get happy feet at times if his first read isn't open. 

That was a RPO. Brissett still had the option to give it to Mack. Brissett made the right decision.

22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That was a RPO. Brissett still had the option to give it to Mack. Brissett made the right decision.

Yeah, but the pass portion itself was drawn up for Pascal. I'm talking about making reads/progressions through receivers. Not to mention, watching that play again, I think Brissett had made up his mind not to hand it off before the snap.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

you can see some areas for improvement that can elevate Brissett to another level... 

I saw a play where Ryan missed a wide open Jones in the end zone. I breathed a sigh of relief and was glad he didn't see it. I don't know how he missed it. Easy TD.

Ryan's INT was a terrible pass. I was surprised that he threw that pass.

Most people would say the Ryan is on "another level" you speak of. 

Even the best QBs make mistakes here and there. I'm not saying that Brissett can't improve. Of course he can, and I believe he will.

I've seen Luck make more mistakes than I care to remember.

My point is, if you are looking for Brissett to play a mistake free game, every game, or most games, in your mind he will never achieve "another level".

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, egg said:

I saw a play where Ryan missed a wide open Jones in the end zone. I breathed a sigh of relief and was glad he didn't see it. I don't know how he missed it. Easy TD.

Even the best QBs make mistakes here and there. I'm not saying that Brissett can't improve. Of course he can, and I believe he will.

My point is, if you are looking for Brissett to play a mistake free game, every game, or most games, in your mind he will never achieve "another level".

Yep... agree with a lot of this and I've been saying the same - even the best QBs miss throws once and again and even the worst QBs make great throws once and again... the difference is in the frequency. The great ones consistently make the right throws well and avoid the bad throws, the lesser QBs make fewer of the great throws and more of the bad throws.

Those are starting QBs of NFL teams. There are 32 of those jobs in the world and the competition is high. Even the worse of them can look great on a highlight reel and even the best of them can look bad on a lowlight reel. This is why it's not as simple as watching singular plays. We have to be looking at the consistency over larger samples. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Some great stuff here. He says you can’t tell the difference with the colts offense between Luck and JB. I also love what he says about the colts playing rookies in his other tweet.

While I appreciate the sentiment of the 2nd tweet, it's kinda hard for me to get excited about giving up 24 points at home.

29 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

While I appreciate the sentiment of the 2nd tweet, it's kinda hard for me to get excited about giving up 24 points at home.

That is not bad. Look around the nfl. You don’t see very many games where teams shut down another team for 60 minutes. We actually played great defense on 1st and 2nd down. We just need to tighten up third down and long. The idea was to keep them in bounds and keep the clock running. Which we did. They used over nine minutes on one drive.

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That is not bad. Look around the nfl. You don’t see very many games where teams shut down another team for 60 minutes. We actually played great defense on 1st and 2nd down. We just need to tighten up third down and long. The idea was to keep them in bounds and keep the clock running. Which we did. They used over nine minutes on one drive.

I realize that, but I think most expectations for this year was a top 10ish D, so I'd like to see that number be at right around 17 for home games. I know the young guys will experience some growing pains, but once they come around, we'll be a VERY hard team to beat at home if we can accomplish that.

31 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

With how the roster currently looks you'd think having a top 10 defense is a bit of a must if you want to be a serious serial contender. Last year Top 10 defenses altogether average 19.8 points per game given up (best 17.69 worst 21.50) so I wouldn't say 24 points at home is all that great. 

Turnovers are also a big factor, we were pretty good last year (14.5% of all offensive plays against ended in a turnover, good for 8th in the league), this year.. only 7.4% so far and giving up 23.66 points per game. 

Long way to go, but so far the defense has regressed in every metric. This is bad.

25 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

With how the roster currently looks you'd think having a top 10 defense is a bit of a must if you want to be a serious serial contender. Last year Top 10 defenses altogether average 19.8 points per game given up (best 17.69 worst 21.50) so I wouldn't say 24 points at home is all that great. 

Turnovers are also a big factor, we were pretty good last year (14.5% of all offensive plays against ended in a turnover, good for 8th in the league), this year.. only 7.4% so far and giving up 23.66 points per game. 

Long way to go, but so far the defense has regressed in every metric. This is bad.

Of course it is. But considering all the injuries and guys going in and out Sunday I give them a pass. We won the game and that is what matters. We actually was getting pressure on Ryan the first half. Second half when guys started dropping like flies on the dline is when things started to go bad.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Unusual in there was minimal possessions this game.  7 For Colts, and 6 for Falcons.

Colts scored on 5 of their first 6, and ran the clock out with a lead on #7.

Falcons got 6, a punt on first and Interception on second. Then they scored ( FG, 3 TD's) on every one of their next 4.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stitches said:

KgIgxS0.jpg

Yep Agree with you 100%.  On that throw, TY bailed JB out.  Happens that way sometimes.  With a good offense, sometimes the WR bails out a QB when he makes an imperfect throw or two.  And on other plays that same QB throws the receiver open.

That's why you have both a good QB and good wideouts.  Sometimes the QB has to help the receiver, sometimes the receiver has to handle a less than ideal throw.

That said, Brissett made a lot of genuinely high level throws to o along with his handful of mistakes last Sunday.  That's how it usually works even for elite QBs. 

Heck if you watched the Pats game Brady airmailed a couple balls on Gordon that he had to go get and a lesser WR wouldn't have had a chance at.  Happens to the best of 'em at times.

I was more concerned about a couple throws JB made to Hilton other than this one that were almost hospital passes.  There was one in particular that was here I think he reaggravated his injury that he got insta-tackled by 2 Falcons defenders.  Can't be doing that to TY, he's not quite so young anymore.

Brissett actually looked better in the second half in some ways, because without Hilton on the field he had no choice but to do something he's needed to do all year -- trust the rookies and second string guys.  Hines, Campbell, Pascal, Cox, etc.  He got them into the game because he didn't have a choice and it was what he should have been doing anyway, even with TY on the field.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

I disagree. It was single safety high and the way the routes were being run, the safety could easily get there on time if Campbell was the go-to-guy. Just because his hips were turned to the wrong direction doesn't mean he cannot react and correct it. That is what gets you beat in the NFL, greed for getting more.

Mahomes, for all his MVP capabilities, just like Peyton (2005 playoff game), did not take checkdowns when the Patriots were sending extra DL to crash the A gaps and flush him but they left the RB open for most of the time. Once he caught on, in the second half, after being shut out of the first half, they started scoring, in fact, 2 checkdown TDs to RBs with YAC, if I remember right. Brissett did the right thing, taking the sure thing underneath.

I agree, maybe he could've got it to Campbell.....maybe. But maybe that extra second allows the rush to get there and it's a  sack/fumble. 

Never pass up a chance to move the sticks. Take the first good gain you see.

I want Jacoby doing exactly what hes doing, because it's just a smarter brand of football. Thinking big play is exactly what people started complaining about while Andrew was here. Take what you're given. And never, NEVER pass up a 15-20 yard gain for a chance at a TD. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Someone mentioned trust earlier. He's not just building trust with his receivers, JB is still building trust with this o-line. We have to keep in mind his last o-line and how badly he got beat up. He has to feel he is hanging onto the ball too long as he's had a clean pocket more in 3 weeks than he did all of 2017... I'm going to be very patient with him and his progress this year... solely because Frank is more than capable of turning him into a stud. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Unusual in there was minimal possessions this game.  7 For Colts, and 6 for Falcons.

Colts scored on 5 of their first 6, and ran the clock out with a lead on #7.

Falcons got 6, a punt on first and Interception on second. Then they scored ( FG, 3 TD's) on every one of their next 4.

That was because we made them work for it, even when they did score. That's solid defense considering who we were missing in that 2nd half. D. Leonard and Malik make a big difference for us.

Of course we would like to hold them to 17 or less. But that's much easier said than done when you're facing Matt Ryan (a damn good QB) and Julio Jones, who I think is the premier receiver in football. And Hooper is a weapon as well. And again, you're missing your 2 best guys in the back 7 while you're trying to defend that, and replacing them with rookies.

I thought we held up pretty well and played better defense than the score indicated.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Well that's probably because we have played against 3 pretty good teams, with 2 of them having excellent QBs. 

You cant just compare metrics without context. 

51 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Well that's probably because we have played against 3 pretty good teams, with 2 of them having excellent QBs. 

You cant just compare metrics without context. 

Agreed, my response was to original post that 24 points at home wasn’t bad. Exactly because it’s only 3 games into the season  I looked at last season. 

19 hours ago, egg said:

I agree with this.  JB7 has started 21-22 games in his career.  17 of them with a terrible team and even then he had a 2:1 TD/INT ratio.  I get that this Forum has very knowledgeable fans who like to debate the game and players.    Sure he needs to read things more quickly, look off Safeties and know when to take risks.  Reich has JB trending in the right direction -with the game on the line, Reich put the ball in JB's hands.  That's showing a lot of trust that the kid is ready.