Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
Chloe6124

Colts offense turning into the patriots offense

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

yep....with all the gripes about the way NE does things (and there are many)...one thing you have to tip your cap to them is that they RARELY ever beat themselves.  And then  make their opponent pay for any mistakes that they make.   

 

That is how the Dungy led Colts also beat the Patriots, they rarely beat themselves and that kept them in close games vs the Patriots and did not let things get away. Of course, very good QB play always helps. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MFT5 said:

have y’all watched the patriots offense ?? lol . Like him or not Josh Mcdaniels is a top 5 offensive mind of all time. 

 

Yes. Now I am overjoyed with Reich. He is a great play caller and leader as well. I don’t think McDaniels could touch him as a leader but I’ve wondered before what the offense would have been under JM. Seems every time I watch them they’ve schemed a receiver running wide open. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

Chloe is talking about the Patriots' offensive philosophy.  Balance, depth and versatility.  Rely on the QB to be able to make the best play to the best weapon at the best time. 

 

The fact that we can execute a similar offense with no Tom Brady under center is actually fairly impressive, and speaks EXTREMELY well of Brissett.

 

AS for the overall idea of the Colts emulating the Patriots... Ballard DID try to hire Josh McDaniels.  he did sign a Patriots quarterback to back up our former Patriots quarterback.  He knows what he's doing, and yes, he seems to be doing this on purpose.

 

   More respect needs to be given here to Reich AND Siriani.
    Siriani and his staff are doing all the leg work developing the players and building the base of the game plans.

 

  Teams try to take something away from you offensively.
 By having a very good ground game, there should be a way to attack any defense that overloads to stop an aspect of OUR game.
 What we have done so far on offense is Very Patriot like.
  Jacoby is ready to dink and dunk for 1st downs for 4 quarters.
  Fewer turnovers that what we have become USED to, and winning time of possession. WINNING  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MFT5 said:

have y’all watched the patriots offense ?? lol . Like him or not Josh Mcdaniels is a top 5 offensive mind of all time. 

 

*Bill Belichek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'd rather just be the Colts offense.

Never said we were trying to copy the patriots. We are developing the same kind of tendencies where we can beat a team in multiple ways. It’s about just taking what a defense gives you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Never said we were trying to copy the patriots. We are developing the same kind of tendencies where we can beat a team in multiple ways. It’s about just taking what a defense gives you.

Yeah but the little brother syndrome here with every good thing we do being "like the Patriots" or compared to them or whatever is just unnecessary.  I just don't understand why people can't just call out good qualities, like you just said, without having to throw in the Patriots.  Makes it seem like people would rather be (or perhaps maybe are) Patriot fans.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Never said we were trying to copy the patriots. We are developing the same kind of tendencies where we can beat a team in multiple ways. It’s about just taking what a defense gives you.

 

Which is a basic principle of football that has been around few a number of years and is not unique to the Pats at all. 

 

It's more about how they have changed their system year to year to match the roster. Also why they tend to start slow and juggernaught towards the end of seasons. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MFT5 said:

 

and winning dnt forget winning 

winning doesn't forgive cheating

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

If we are ever that successful the scandals will follow.  The media likes nothing better than to pull down the guy at the top

very true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Balance is key to a dominant offense. We still have a way to go, specifically with a younger but promising receiving core. They have to collectively be able to create space consistently, which we all know has been an issue for this team for many years. Play calling helps with that and Frank is the right guy. We'll get there. We need a stronger runningback group, as I'm not convinced yet that Wilkins is the answer behind Mack... and even if ends up being the guy, we need one more power runner. 

A.J. Dillon, Boston College 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Both really

 

The offense didn't skip a beat when they lost McDaniels. I'm inclined to say it's Belichick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigQungus said:

 

The offense didn't skip a beat when they lost McDaniels. I'm inclined to say it's Belichick

Honestly brady is their OC.  McDaniels is mostly a play design expert.  When you've got a 20 year veteran QB with 6 rings on his fingers, and he's on board, you don't need a lot of help getting the offense to buy into the gameplan

 

Totally glad we wound up with Frank Reich instead.  McD's snub was a blessing in disguise really.  Instead of the prestige hire, we got an actual competent coach.  I don't know whether I'd call that accidental brilliance or whatever, I think Reich is a WAY better coach than McDaniels ever would have been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Honestly brady is their OC.  McDaniels is mostly a play design expert.  When you've got a 20 year veteran QB with 6 rings on his fingers, and he's on board, you don't need a lot of help getting the offense to buy into the gameplan

 

Totally glad we wound up with Frank Reich instead.  McD's snub was a blessing in disguise really.  Instead of the prestige hire, we got an actual competent coach.  I don't know whether I'd call that accidental brilliance or whatever, I think Reich is a WAY better coach than McDaniels ever would have been.

 

Don't sell McDaniels short as an OC. Brady executes at a high level, that is why Peyton, with different OCs in his career, got the job done too. The HOF QB is an extension of his OC on the field but he is not the exclusive OC without input from the sidelines. Just like Tom Moore gave Peyton a few plays to run, McDaniels probably gives Brady a few plays with run or pass based on what he wants to check to. 

 

There are several instances when McDaniels has shined. One instance is down 28-31 vs Ravens or down 21-31 to Ravens in the 2014 divisional round, calling for a WR pass from Edelman (a former QB) to his wide out for a TD was all McDaniels. That provided a spark in the game they would win. McDaniels and Brady, in the 2014 SB, went to a play they tried earlier that did not work since Brady overthrew Edelman. It was an in cut and a 180 that Edelman did in the end zone, and he would be wide open. He was, again, but this time Brady threw a soft ball to ensure he did not overthrow, that was the game winning TD.  At half time, during the 2016 Falcons SB, knowing how well the Falcons were stuffing LeGarette Blount, McDaniels and Belichick started featuring James White pretty much the entire second half, that turned the whole thing around. Another instance was in the 2018 SB with them up 6-3 and McDaniels not getting significant yardage vs the Rams by dialing only high percentage options. He realized the defenders would be having all their backs to the ball if he threw it up to Gronk and let him go make a play. That was not a call in their playbook and McDaniels improvized, that got them to the goal line where Sony Michel punched it in.

 

It is not a co-incidence that both of Brady's one-and-dones happened in 2009 and 2010, when McDaniels was in Denver. 2011, Brady did get to the SB, but it was one of Patriots' weaker SB teams historically that the Giants beat in 2011. No Peyton to challenge in 2011, Lee Evans dropping a sure TD from Flacco and Billy Cundiff missing a FG were all factors for the Patriots to get there, IMO. The other SB Patriots squads were much better. 

 

I do peruse the PatsPulpit a lot, and have learnt a few tidbits based on the same, that is how I know. :) 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

pump the breaks.... lol

 

 

 

Why? The point is a fair one. Maybe not the Pats of this year but the Pats of the early 2000s at the very least. 

Now the defense has to get better. Currently, this defense won't get Indy very far.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

If we are ever that successful the scandals will follow.  The media likes nothing better than to pull down the guy at the top

Word to AB

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Colts beat a confused Titans team and Atlanta handed their game to the Colts giving 128 yards in 16 penalties sustaining Colt drives on several occasions. The Colts lost to a Chargers team that Houston beat. Yes they are playing well but that is it for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, King Colt said:

The Colts beat a confused Titans team and Atlanta handed their game to the Colts giving 128 yards in 16 penalties sustaining Colt drives on several occasions. The Colts lost to a Chargers team that Houston beat. Yes they are playing well but that is it for now.

Canadian Comedy GIF by CBC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chad72 said:

 

Don't sell McDaniels short as an OC. Brady executes at a high level, that is why Peyton, with different OCs in his career, got the job done too. The HOF QB is an extension of his OC on the field but he is not the exclusive OC without input from the sidelines. Just like Tom Moore gave Peyton a few plays to run, McDaniels probably gives Brady a few plays with run or pass based on what he wants to check to. 

 

There are several instances when McDaniels has shined. One instance is down 28-31 vs Ravens or down 21-31 to Ravens in the 2014 divisional round, calling for a WR pass from Edelman (a former QB) to his wide out for a TD was all McDaniels. That provided a spark in the game they would win. McDaniels and Brady, in the 2014 SB, went to a play they tried earlier that did not work since Brady overthrew Edelman. It was an in cut and a 180 that Edelman did in the end zone, and he would be wide open. He was, again, but this time Brady threw a soft ball to ensure he did not overthrow, that was the game winning TD.  At half time, during the 2016 Falcons SB, knowing how well the Falcons were stuffing LeGarette Blount, McDaniels and Belichick started featuring James White pretty much the entire second half, that turned the whole thing around. Another instance was in the 2018 SB with them up 6-3 and McDaniels not getting significant yardage vs the Rams by dialing only high percentage options. He realized the defenders would be having all their backs to the ball if he threw it up to Gronk and let him go make a play. That was not a call in their playbook and McDaniels improvized, that got them to the goal line where Sony Michel punched it in.

 

It is not a co-incidence that both of Brady's one-and-dones happened in 2009 and 2010, when McDaniels was in Denver. 2011, Brady did get to the SB, but it was one of Patriots' weaker SB teams historically that the Giants beat in 2011. No Peyton to challenge in 2011, Lee Evans dropping a sure TD from Flacco and Billy Cundiff missing a FG were all factors for the Patriots to get there, IMO. The other SB Patriots squads were much better. 

 

I do peruse the PatsPulpit a lot, and have learnt a few tidbits based on the same, that is how I know. :) 

You don't have to excuse yourself.  Football historians will be studying the Patriots dynasty for decades to come, just to try and figure out how they do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

No doubt Brissett needs to be consistent over 16 games. He won’t have games like Sunday every week. Most QB will have teams that give them more trouble. It’s more about wins for me not stats.

 

Reich said in a presser this week you have to have versatility so you can take advantage of what another team is giving you. I think this team could look different from week to week because of that.

 

I like that it seems a different player makes a play every time we need one. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2019 at 7:27 PM, Chloe6124 said:

I know this has been mentioned before but the colts offense is becoming the like NE.  If a team takes away the run we will beat you with the pass. Take the pass away will beat you with the run. Pick your poison. We aren’t dependent on winning one way. Defense will have to improve to contend  but the offense is becoming very similiar.

 

Philosophically, sure, I can see it. But the reality is that the Patriots are a well-oiled machine on offense & they make marching down the field look effortless, even against top defenses. As much as I like Frank Reich & the pieces we have in place right now, we're a ways off from being on that level of unstoppable.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

 

I like that it seems a different player makes a play every time we need one. 

 

 Isn't that Brady like?
 Yes they had Gronk and Edelman for big plays, but historically Brady would have 7-8 guys make plays throughout a game. Including numerous RB's.
 Those plays Frank called for Pascal were executed perfectly. Just Expect more to come from a variety of guys. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True, that was one of the telling things about that 4th quarter, a lot of the driving was carried by second and third string players.  If Brissett has the skill to elevate his depth consistently like he did in week 3, we could really be onto something.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mack should have some good runs vs. the Raiders. They have given up some big runs so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

 Isn't that Brady like?
 Yes they had Gronk and Edelman for big plays, but historically Brady would have 7-8 guys make plays throughout a game. Including numerous RB's.
 Those plays Frank called for Pascal were executed perfectly. Just Expect more to come from a variety of guys. 

It helps when your team is well coached. Brady doesnt deserve all that credit he gets. Sick of ppl acting like he is this giant football God. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...