Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
Chloe6124

Colts offense turning into the patriots offense

I know this has been mentioned before but the colts offense is becoming the like NE.  If a team takes away the run we will beat you with the pass. Take the pass away will beat you with the run. Pick your poison. We aren’t dependent on winning one way. Defense will have to improve to contend  but the offense is becoming very similiar.

• Like 1

Like I said the defense isn’t close. Reich is building a offense though that isn’t dependent on one way to win. They can adjust depending on what the other team is showing.

Balance is key to a dominant offense. We still have a way to go, specifically with a younger but promising receiving core. They have to collectively be able to create space consistently, which we all know has been an issue for this team for many years. Play calling helps with that and Frank is the right guy. We'll get there. We need a stronger runningback group, as I'm not convinced yet that Wilkins is the answer behind Mack... and even if ends up being the guy, we need one more power runner. 

• Like 2

Still a ways to go but there are quite a few similarities.......like scheming people open etc. Plus game planning based on the opponent too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

pump the breaks.... lol

Did I say we were there already. No. I mean that is what we are working towards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Same in scheme. Style. Just need to see consistent them make the plays consistently and ill agree. The whole team is relatively unproven. I still dont trust Brissett 100%. 

7 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Same in scheme. Style. Just need to see consistent them make the plays consistently and ill agree. The whole team is relatively unproven. I still dont trust Brissett 100%. 

No doubt Brissett needs to be consistent over 16 games. He won’t have games like Sunday every week. Most QB will have teams that give them more trouble. It’s more about wins for me not stats.

Reich said in a presser this week you have to have versatility so you can take advantage of what another team is giving you. I think this team could look different from week to week because of that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I know this has been mentioned before but the colts offense is becoming the like NE.  If a team takes away the run we will beat you with the pass. Take the pass away will beat you with the run. Pick your poison. We aren’t dependent on winning one way. Defense will have to improve to contend  but the offense is becoming very similiar.

Stop it      No comparison 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Id say its a combination of the pats and the LOB era seahawks. The offensive approach is very patriot like. Run the ball, get the ball out quick, take what they give you, get to third and short, little to no penalties, and control time of possession. 

As for the defense, the seahawks played a more cover 1 then a cover 2, but I believe thats where we're treading towards which imo helps our pass rushers better.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Stop it      No comparison 

You missed the point. Reich even said it himself in a presser. I never said they were as good. I said they are working towards the same thing where a offense is so versatile you stop one thing you can kill them another way.

• Like 2

I was rewatching the game tonight and, although it's been said since Sunday, but the Falcons run a pretty vanilla defense (pretty similar to ours actually). Many of our receptions came with defenders playing off our receivers and seemed to rely on swarming to the ball. 

Perfect defense for Brissett, or any QB, to pick apart. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up looking back on this game as one of the best games Brissett has. Hopefully not of course, especially with the Dolphins game down the line.

5 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I was rewatching the game tonight and, although it's been said since Sunday, but the Falcons run a pretty vanilla defense (pretty similar to ours actually). Many of our receptions came with defenders playing off our receivers and seemed to rely on swarming to the ball. 

Perfect defense for Brissett, or any QB, to pick apart. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up looking back on this game as one of the best games Brissett has. Hopefully not of course, especially with the Dolphins game down the line.

No doubt we had guys open so it was pretty easy. I give Reich though a lot of credit in scheming guys that open. Just like Luck Brissett will have teams who play much better defense and won’t put numbers up up like that. The important thing is getting the win.  He came through TN ok despite them throwing a lot of different looks at him. That game will only make him better against teams that do it.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You missed the point. Reich even said it himself in a presser. I never said they were as good. I said they are working towards the same thing where a offense is so versatile you stop one thing you can kill them another way.

I hate comparing anything to Pats.   Like it or not there is no other team like them.  They are a true dynasty 

Just now, DerekDiggler said:

I hate comparing anything to Pats.   Like it or not there is no other team like them.  They are a true dynasty 

I was talking about the team having versatility to do anything on offense. I think that is pretty clear what we are trying to do. I was in no  way saying we were as good.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No doubt we had guys open so it was pretty easy. I give Reich though a lot of credit in scheming guys that open. Just like Luck Brissett will have teams who play much better defense and won’t put numbers up up like that. The important thing is getting the win.  He came through TN ok despite them throwing a lot of different looks at him. That game will only make him better against teams that do it.

Yeah, and there were definitely some plays that were just schemed/executed to perfection. The PA passes (the first and last passes of the game in particular, both to Doyle), the two wide open passes to Pascal. There were also two dump offs to Hines that saved drives as well. It was a showcase from Reich and Brissett.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

have y’all watched the patriots offense ?? lol . Like him or not Josh Mcdaniels is a top 5 offensive mind of all time. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

have y’all watched the patriots offense ?? lol . Like him or not Josh Mcdaniels is a top 5 offensive mind of all time. 

Can’t disagree.  But Frank may be the heir to that throne.  

Amd i dont wear the blue shaded glasses when I post 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

That wasn’t my point. My point was Reich is making this offense so versatile that it doesn’t matter what you try to stop we will just kill you another way. He even said that is what they are trying to do in a presser this week. So your offense is actually dictating and your not letting another defense dictate what you do. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

No doubt Brissett needs to be consistent over 16 games. He won’t have games like Sunday every week. Most QB will have teams that give them more trouble. It’s more about wins for me not stats.

Reich said in a presser this week you have to have versatility so you can take advantage of what another team is giving you. I think this team could look different from week to week because of that.

RE: Brissett, I agree. The Falcons D was about as vanilla as it gets, but those complex looks the titans gave confused him. I have faith he will get better with time.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That wasn’t my point. My point was Reich is making this offense so versatile that it doesn’t matter what you try to stop we will just kill you another way. He even said that is what they are trying to do in a presser this week. So your offense is actually dictating and your not letting another defense dictate what you do. 

Just look at the eagles.    They are lost (not really but you get my point) without Frank.   Totally different team.  Amd wentz kinda sucks TBH 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I disagree I think we’re turning into a balanced offense. 

Why is having a balanced offense unique to NE? NE’s style if you will, is in fact their variance in offensive philosophy throughout the years, depending on the personnel. The Moss era, the two TE sets with Gronk/Hernandez etc. 

Are you saying Reich directly compared the team to NE, or did he say about building a versatile balanced offense? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

the term offense indicates that yu dictate so i would hope that is the goal for anyone running the offense. there’s nothing genius about what happened sunday. Andy Reid, Mcdaniels and to a lesser extent Kyle Shanahan are the models for offense 

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This team has looked different from week to week and from drive to drive.  Reich said that since day 1.  Ballard has given us an OL which allows for us to do that (something Grigs failed at when he drafted Luck).  If we stay/get healthy (e.g., if TY's quad holds up, if Funchess comes back to full strength, if we don't lose any other key contributors to injury), our O will be very hard to stop.  I think Brissett could start on ~12-15 teams in the league besides Indy (maybe more) -- Reich is playing it (IMO) kind of safe with him... keep him protected, build his confidence, give him more weapons and wrinkles as time goes on.  Reich made a point in the off-season to say he wants us to be a top 7 run offense, as of now Mack is 2nd or 3rd in rushing... last week is the first week Brissett really kind of opened up (I know there was a recent thread comparing Brissett and Luck, Luck was throwing 51 times a game last year, Brissett is throwing 20-30 balls a game... that'll change as things get more comfortable).

4 hours ago, MFT5 said:

No he is not.  He's a good offensive mind, but he's  also a product of Bill B and a very good supporting cast.  He did very little given the time he had as a HC.  Pagano was considered a great D mind after coordinating Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, etc... he was a decent HC, and now that he has K. Mack and that Bears D he looks like he's a great D coordinator, when he was our HC our D was one of our weakest links.  Put McDaniels with a team with little O talent, and take away Belichick, and he's nothing more than average. #OnceYouPullHisTeethHeIsAsHarmlessAsAHealHound

4 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

Just look at the eagles.    They are lost (not really but you get my point) without Frank.   Totally different team.  Amd wentz kinda sucks TBH 

Wentz doesn't suck.  His WRs (mainly Alshon) had several critical drops last week.  He probably got a little overrated after almost being MVP in his rookie year, but he's also changing his game to try to be more of a pocket passer than a rusher (Luck went through a similar transition).  Wentz is a very good QB.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Hopefully we never become the patriots... that involves cheating and scandals. No thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Hopefully we never become the patriots... that involves cheating and scandals. No thanks

and winning dnt forget winning 

7 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

We’ll Wentz couldn’t do anything about his receivers dropping 7 passes last game including a game winner lol

The EP scheme concepts are nothing new. Lots of teams use it, from Patriots, Chargers, Eagles etc.

The difference is it’s like a breath of fresh air not showcasing a star wide out or RB and being able to call anyone’s number and get it done schematically, something Pagano and his coaches couldn’t do. If anything, we’re more like the Eagles that Reich came from, in our usage of multiple TEs.

Talent still wins in the NFL. If you don’t have an Edelman or Gronk or Ertz, you adapt accordingly and that’s what Reich and his coaching staff have done remarkably.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

Chloe is talking about the Patriots' offensive philosophy.  Balance, depth and versatility.  Rely on the QB to be able to make the best play to the best weapon at the best time. 

The fact that we can execute a similar offense with no Tom Brady under center is actually fairly impressive, and speaks EXTREMELY well of Brissett.

AS for the overall idea of the Colts emulating the Patriots... Ballard DID try to hire Josh McDaniels.  he did sign a Patriots quarterback to back up our former Patriots quarterback.  He knows what he's doing, and yes, he seems to be doing this on purpose.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

If we are ever that successful the scandals will follow.  The media likes nothing better than to pull down the guy at the top

Just now, Imgrandojji said:

If we are ever that successful the scandals will follow.  The media likes nothing better than to pull down the guy at the top

There is definitely a lot of truth in that statement.

30 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I think the Colts have finally gotten good play calling coaches and we all don't know how to act. 

There's something to that.  Two of the things the Patriots leadership are best known for are a commitment to fundamentals and a commitment to discipline.  those haven't been facets of the Colts' game in... awhile.  Now they are, and it's already resulted in 2 wins we might not have gotten otherwise.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

There's something to that.  Two of the things the Patriots leadership are best known for are a commitment to fundamentals and a commitment to discipline.  those haven't been facets of the Colts' game in... awhile.  Now they are, and it's already resulted in 2 wins we might not have gotten otherwise.

Yes, that is a big reason why we are the least penalized team in the NFL too right now. The curve is pointing upwards with this coaching staff and one would be blind not to see it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Until we start videotaping other teams' practices and playing with deflated footballs, then we'll never turn into their offense  :funny:

17 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yes, that is a big reason why we are the least penalized team in the NFL too right now. The curve is pointing upwards with this coaching staff and one would be blind not to see it. 

yep....with all the gripes about the way NE does things (and there are many)...one thing you have to tip your cap to them is that they RARELY ever beat themselves.  And then  make their opponent pay for any mistakes that they make.