Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts work out safety Marcus Gilchrist

Restinpeacesweetchloe

3 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

And Eric berry out of league because ??Cant play anymore 

i dont think thats it, hes not that old for a safety and he is supposedly healthy.

he should still be able to play even if he lost a step.  he may either be asking too much money or only wanting to sign with a contender

I was hoping we'd just try Tell back there in the meantime, let him go back to his college roots while Hooker's out. I don't think it'd stunt his CB development too much.

Besides, there's a small chance he'd overperform the coaches expectations there. Apples to oranges and everything, but it could be like a Braden Smith situation where they didn't originally want him at RT but were forced to.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I was hoping we'd just try Tell back there in the meantime, let him go back to his college roots while Hooker's out. I don't think it'd stunt his CB development too much.

Besides, there's a small chance he'd overperform the coaches expectations there. Apples to oranges and everything, but it could be like a Braden Smith situation where they didn't originally want him at RT but were forced to.

I tend to agree with you.  I think Willis has, for the most part, played well... and he seems to be improving each week.  However, I think he's more of a SS and it seems like he's better against the run and in short space (the opposite of Hooker). 

Tell and even Q. Wilson seem to be rangier, faster and have more ball hawking abilities than Willis. I guess the coaches know best, though... I do know when Tell was drafted, Ballard said one of the things he liked about him and Q Wilson are their abilities to play all over the secondary, so I bet we'll see them mixed in with the safeties a little bit while Hooker's out.

3 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

Why not bring Mike Mitchell back? Current free agent. Played here last year and knows our system.

Colts are looking for someone to play the deep center field role in Hooker's absence.

Mitchell is not that type of player.  He's a decent box safety.

12 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I expect George Odom to start this weekend, backed up by Rolan Milligan. Like was mentioned Willis more of a thumper and pure SS type. I expect a vet FS to be signed and hopefully up to speed by the following game.

https://www.colts.com/news/unofficial-depth-chart-raiders-week-4

"» With Malik Hooker on and off the field last Sunday with a knee injury — now we know he'll likely miss a few weeks moving forward — we saw rookie Khari Willis play 27 snaps against the Falcons. Willis is expected to fill in Hooker's role moving forward, while George Odum and Rolan Milligan could also see added snaps on defense."

39 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

https://www.colts.com/news/unofficial-depth-chart-raiders-week-4

"» With Malik Hooker on and off the field last Sunday with a knee injury — now we know he'll likely miss a few weeks moving forward — we saw rookie Khari Willis play 27 snaps against the Falcons. Willis is expected to fill in Hooker's role moving forward, while George Odum and Rolan Milligan could also see added snaps on defense."

They are still showing Odum as the backup FS not Willis for the upcoming game.  Willis was already getting a lot of snaps in place of Gaethers.  If Willis was going to be the backup FS they could have easily changed it on the depth chart.  They might try Willis there in practice and see how he does.  And now they're bringing in another FS for a look see.  Odum is a solid player at FS so we will just have to see how this all shakes out.  

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

They are still showing Odum as the backup FS not Willis for the upcoming game.  Willis was already getting a lot of snaps in place of Gaethers.  If Willis was going to be the backup FS they could have easily changed it on the depth chart.  

I agree that should be a reasonable assumption, but I've noticed in the preseason and weeks 1-3 charts they've not made many updates to the actual chart - but rather have explained in the notes how the chart should be interpreted. I'm not a fan of their method, but they've been pretty consistent with it.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

They are still showing Odum as the backup FS not Willis for the upcoming game.  Willis was already getting a lot of snaps in place of Gaethers.  If Willis was going to be the backup FS they could have easily changed it on the depth chart.  They might try Willis there in practice and see how he does.  And now they're bringing in another FS for a look see.  Odum is a solid player at FS so we will just have to see how this all shakes out.  

That depth chart is meaningless

3 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

" With Malik Hooker on and off the field last Sunday with a knee injury — now we know he'll likely miss a few weeks moving forward — we saw rookie Khari Willis play 27 snaps against the Falcons. Willis is expected to fill in Hooker's role moving forward...

Watching this clip, where Khari Willis speaks at a Big 10 luncheon, confirms he is a very high character player.

I am sure Willis will be up for the challenge. 

• Like 1