Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Current Salary Cap Status?

TrueBlue4ever

19 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Anyone know where we currently stand on our cap space after losing Andrew and the signings of Jacoby and Hoyer? 

Also, is Castonzo the next big extension due?

we're around 40-45 million if I recall right. We'll be over 100 million available again next offseason.  in other words, we be in good shape

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Anyone know where we currently stand on our cap space after losing Andrew and the signings of Jacoby and Hoyer? 

After watching AC so far, I’m not sure he is due a huge raise but his contract will be up. He was never the Tarik Glenn level but he wasn’t Ugho either. He was seen too many times this past week standing around while the defender moved around him while the play wasn’t over yet. Looked lazy. I’d like to get him back as a mid level paid LT and draft his potential successor this next offseason with one of the second round picks but if a top candidate fell to us in the first, I’d be fine taking one there as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://overthecap.com/position/offensive-line/

I don't know if they will resign him, but CB want's to keep and pay our own players, IF they have earned it. 

I'm not sold on Castonzo this season, but he's not a bad LT. 

So can we sign him to a decent extension, then re-sign him, if he wants a big payday... let him hit free agency and sign another LT in free agency or through the draft.

30 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

https://overthecap.com/position/offensive-line/

I don't know if they will resign him, but CB want's to keep and pay our own players, IF they have earned it. 

So can we sign him to a decent extension, then re-sign him, if he wants a big payday... let him hit free agency and sign another LT in free agency or through the draft.

I understand Castonzo is 30 but do you remember what it was like when he was out the first 4 games last year. The o-line struggled big time and to get a proven LT is easy said then done. That's why average LT get paid top dollar and Castonzo is far better than average. I say Ballard signs Castonzo to a 3 year deal in the 15+ million range.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Castonzo is pretty good.   LTs are kinda like QBs.  There are only a dozen to 15 or so that are worth a crap.  IMO AC is one of those. 

He's not great, but you would have to be sure you had something to be willing to replace him.

Castonzo is graded out as our best lineman so far and ranked as a top 5 OT. He stays healthy and durable. I agree 100%. He isn't Elite but he far better than average and the Oline struggled last year when he was out those 4 games. I don't get how people trash him when he's a proven durable LT in a league where almost every other team is struggling to get a LT.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jdubu said:

After watching AC so far, I’m not sure he is due a huge raise but his contract will be up. He was never the Tarik Glenn level but he wasn’t Ugho either. He was seen too many times this past week standing around while the defender moved around him while the play wasn’t over yet. Looked lazy. I’d like to get him back as a mid level paid LT and draft his potential successor this next offseason with one of the second round picks but if a top candidate fell to us in the first, I’d be fine taking one there as well. 

He is the highest graded lineman on the colts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Or we couild trade that first for Trent Williams.

21 hours ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

Castonzo is graded out as our best lineman so far and ranked as a top 5 OT. He stays healthy and durable. I agree 100%. He isn't Elite but he far better than average and the Oline struggled last year when he was out those 4 games. I don't get how people trash him when he's a proven durable LT in a league where almost every other team is struggling to get a LT.

Top 5 is elite in my book. 

Especially with how durable he has been like you said. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I understand Castonzo is 30 but do you remember what it was like when he was out the first 4 games last year. The o-line struggled big time and to get a proven LT is easy said then done. That's why average LT get paid top dollar and Castonzo is far better than average. I say Ballard signs Castonzo to a 3 year deal in the 15+ million range.

Hold on, you thinking 15/yr or total contract? Either one I’d say is off base.  He is finishing up a average of 10 million/yr 4 yr deal. I’d say he gets something right back in that range for. 3 years (3 for 30 with 13 guaranteed). This allows him to remain a colt for life if he continues to play solid enough and it allows the colts to part ways after 2021 with little impact if he plays poorly next season.

Of course all this is predicated on does AC pick it up and knock off all the rust?  Seems like he has played sluggish before in the first few games and then turned it up in the season. Does CB see a downturn in AC enough to say thanks but we move on to the draft because he sees a few players in his drafting range that could be potential replacement LT’s? Is there another, younger LT coming out in the FA market after this season? So much of what happens with AC in his next contract is determined by what AC looks like over the course of the season. It’s a shame we didn’t pick a possible LT in this draft, I’m not sure Barton would be in line for a starters role at LT here but I wished we would have taken a 3 or 4th rounder to groom. It’s almost as if CB painted himself in a corner and given AC full leverage on an extension. Hopefully, AC balls out, signs a reasonable 3 yr deal and rides off into the sun like Tarik did and still playing at a high enough level. 

12 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

We don't need a top 5 LT with the way this o-line performs consistently. We need Castonzo and we need to draft his replacement in the upcoming two drafts. He deserves to be here until he retires. 

Nobody “deserves” anything after they falter in performance.  I’m not declaring AC a non performer, rather pointing out everyone has to earn their spot here. This isn’t cupcakes and punch sessions with Pagano anymore, CB will resign you to a fair market deal when you perform and keep performing. 

I know that we all want AC to be the safe person at that LT but CB will evaluate him accordingly. I wished AC would have gotten his deal done before the season started. Either AC wanted way too much, too long or Cb was hedging his bets and wanting to see what high expectations and age intersect and then pay or let test the market as AC deems he needs to do. 

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

AC has been good so far, not sure why we're talking about a sluggish start from him... 

I don’t know, I whatevs the games. He isn’t a slug by no means but he is letting guys get past him and I’ve seen him stop playing when he thought his job was done. Play to the whistle. Loafs were seen in the last game by AC. Can’t take that out. I still like AC better than 75% of the other options for us. 

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Top 5 is elite in my book. 

Especially with how durable he has been like you said. 

I highly doubt that after the Colts staff grades him he grades at an Elite level.
  I notice PFF has grades over the last several years that has him at the border of high quality to very good. That is a real keeper.
 That justifies something near $15M+ per i expect. 

7 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I don’t know, I whatevs the games. He isn’t a slug by no means but he is letting guys get past him and I’ve seen him stop playing when he thought his job was done. Play to the whistle. Loafs were seen in the last game by AC. Can’t take that out. I still like AC better than 75% of the other options for us. 

I did see him getting beat a number of times Sunday, but have never not see him give his all. He knows how long he needs to sustain his blocks on any given play i am sure.

5 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Hold on, you thinking 15/yr or total contract? Either one I’d say is off base.  He is finishing up a average of 10 million/yr 4 yr deal. I’d say he gets something right back in that range for. 3 years (3 for 30 with 13 guaranteed). This allows him to remain a colt for life if he continues to play solid enough and it allows the colts to part ways after 2021 with little impact if he plays poorly next season.

Of course all this is predicated on does AC pick it up and knock off all the rust?  Seems like he has played sluggish before in the first few games and then turned it up in the season. Does CB see a downturn in AC enough to say thanks but we move on to the draft because he sees a few players in his drafting range that could be potential replacement LT’s? Is there another, younger LT coming out in the FA market after this season? So much of what happens with AC in his next contract is determined by what AC looks like over the course of the season. It’s a shame we didn’t pick a possible LT in this draft, I’m not sure Barton would be in line for a starters role at LT here but I wished we would have taken a 3 or 4th rounder to groom. It’s almost as if CB painted himself in a corner and given AC full leverage on an extension. Hopefully, AC balls out, signs a reasonable 3 yr deal and rides off into the sun like Tarik did and still playing at a high enough level. 

3 year deal with each year being in the 15+ mil range. I'm assuming 17 to 18 mil a year

5 hours ago, Jdubu said:

3 year deal with each year being in the 15+ mil range. I'm assuming 17 to 18 mil a year

On 9/24/2019 at 8:47 AM, ThorstenDenmark said:

Per PFF offensive line rankings after 3 games.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pff-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-following-week-3-of-the-2019-nfl-season

4. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Highest-Graded Offensive Lineman: T Anthony Castonzo, 79.1

While Quenton Nelson grabs all the headlines and highlights for the Colts’ offensive line, the man to his left continues to fly under-the-radar. Anthony Castonzo has consistently been one of the better left tackles in the league over his career and has only allowed four pressures on 111 pass-blocking snaps this season for a top-five grade among all tackles. 

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

You are out of your mind  if you think AC lands that kind of contract. If CB gives that kind of money, he better be the top 1-2 LT in the league and AC isn’t that guy. Please put down the liquor, it’s too early for that. Lol  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/left-tackle/

On 9/25/2019 at 2:21 PM, Jdubu said:

You are out of your mind  if you think AC lands that kind of contract. If CB gives that kind of money, he better be the top 1-2 LT in the league and AC isn’t that guy. Please put down the liquor, it’s too early for that. Lol  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/left-tackle/

What you dont understand is that the salary cap goes up every year and having a premium LT is huge. Ask many teams around the league. Trent Brown who just got paid by the Raiders is making 16.5 million and he's playing RT. Am I saying Ballard will pay that amount in the 15+ mil range who knows, will Castonzo do a home town discount to stay who truly knows on that, it's his last big contract so anything can happen. But I gurantee you someone in the league will easily make him the highest paid LT and that could be in the 17 mil range.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

What you dont understand is that the salary cap goes up every year and having a premium LT is huge. Ask many teams around the league. Trent Brown who just got paid by the Raiders is making 16.5 million and he's playing RT. Am I saying Ballard will pay that amount in the 15+ mil range who knows, will Castonzo do a home town discount to stay who truly knows on that, it's his last big contract so anything can happen. But I gurantee you someone in the league will easily make him the highest paid LT and that could be in the 17 mil range.

I fully understand contracts increase. I also understand that you pay premium contract increases on superstar players who are i their prime and AC isn’t a super start nor will he enter he his prime, he is exiting that prime. I guess the short of this answer should be, one of us is gonna be shown who is right or wrong. 

7 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I fully understand contracts increase. I also understand that you pay premium contract increases on superstar players who are i their prime and AC isn’t a super start nor will he enter he his prime, he is exiting that prime. I guess the short of this answer should be, one of us is gonna be shown who is right or wrong. 

One word - INFLATION.

It won't be long until $20 an hour becomes minimum wage in this country, starting QBs get paid $30-40 million, and backup QBs get paid $10-15 million.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rock8591 said:

One word - INFLATION.

It won't be long until $20 an hour becomes minimum wage in this country, starting QBs get paid $30-40 million, and backup QBs get paid $10-15 million.

Yep but it won’t be next year now will it? Maybe I’m wrong, maybe be he jumps from 11 million a yr into a 17 million a yr contract. Idk, we are going to see 

On 9/24/2019 at 9:53 AM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Regarding Costanzo, I saw a trade proposal earlier in Sept on Twitter but it was quickly taken down.  TY and Costanzo and Colts 3rd to Green Bay for Packers 1st, Falcons 1st and Blake Martinez. (Packers and Falcons must have been dealing also). Anyone else see this? Was it a spoof?

On 9/24/2019 at 11:17 AM, Four2itus said:

No offense, but barring injury, there is no way Anthony would play for anywhere near that number. His next deal will be in another zip code of compensation. 

Before I comment,  can you define another zip code of compensation?

1 hour ago, CanuckColt said:

Regarding Costanzo, I saw a trade proposal earlier in Sept on Twitter but it was quickly taken down.  TY and Costanzo and Colts 3rd to Green Bay for Packers 1st, Falcons 1st and Blake Martinez. (Packers and Falcons must have been dealing also). Anyone else see this? Was it a spoof?

Of course the Colts would do it.    But why in the world would the Packers?

They'd hang up the phone....

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Before I comment,  can you define another zip code of compensation?

The post I quoted said, "3 year deal in the 15+ million range"

Assuming he took a 3 year deal, I would not see him taking anything less than 33-34m.

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

The post I quoted said, "3 year deal in the 15+ million range"

Assuming he took a 3 year deal, I would not see him taking anything less than 33-34m.

If I can...   Allow me to ask this another way...  

Do you think AC is a $15 mill a year player?    Or, do you think Ballard would be willing to pay 3/45?

53 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If I can...   Allow me to ask this another way...  

Do you think AC is a $15 mill a year player?    Or, do you think Ballard would be willing to pay 3/45?

Ahhhh, I see my mistake. Thought the poster was saying 15m total. My bad.