Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top DT prospects for 2020 draft

Hey all, I am now living on the other half of our planet and can’t follow our colts quite the way I used too.. I have always loved the draft process even starting this early. I’d love to hear anyone’s thoughts on DTs that could potentially upgrade our DL which is where I think our weak link is. We need a dominant NT. So my question is: is there one we should be taking next year?

35 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Marvin Wilson from Florida State is one of my favorite DTs in this upcoming class. 

Marvin Wilson is attracting a ton of attention right now. He had a monster game last week and he's been having those games every week so far. I think he's been rated in the 90s every single week by PFF so far. He's having a Quinnen Williams type of rise right now. If he keeps doing what he's been doing this season he will go top 5 almost certainly. 

23 hours ago, KB said:

Derrick Brown is my preferred prospect atm. Big boy that can clog up the line and still get to the qb here and there.

And he would be an absolute perfect fit in this defense at NT. Dude probably runs 325lbs and will do close to a 5 flat in the 40 when he gets the combine. 

I'm just not sure if we will be picking high enough. He is likely the first interior DL off the board next year.

I also like Davis a lot, he can really anchor inside. 

I'm not sure why so many people think we need a penetrating 3 tech when we already have Denico Autry, Tyquan Lewis and Jihad Ward. We need a plugger. I like Grover Stewart, as a backup, but the only other guy we have that can play the nose is Margus Hunt, who is also more of a 3 tech or a SSDE.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2019 at 8:45 AM, WarGhost21 said:

Some names for you to check out:

Raekwon Davis, Alabama

Derrick Brown, Auburn

There are also some elite DE's:

Chase Young, Ohio State

AJ Epenesa, Iowa

Yetur Gross-Matos, Penn State

Each of these names would really upgrade the Defensive Line

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that half of these players will be gone by our pick. That wasn't a guess really. Davis and matos MIGHT but the other 3 are top 8 easily

1 hour ago, GoatBeard said:

And he would be an absolute perfect fit in this defense at NT. Dude probably runs 325lbs and will do close to a 5 flat in the 40 when he gets the combine. 

I'm just not sure if we will be picking high enough. He is likely the first interior DL off the board next year.

I also like Davis a lot, he can really anchor inside. 

I'm not sure why so many people think we need a penetrating 3 tech when we already have Denico Autry, Tyquan Lewis and Jihad Ward. We need a plugger. I like Grover Stewart, as a backup, but the only other guy we have that can play the nose is Margus Hunt, who is also more of a 3 tech or a SSDE.

Those guys aren't good at stopping the run other than Stewart

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

Those guys aren't good at stopping the run other than Stewart

That's true, but a lot of that has to do with the technique itself. 

When you have a 3 tech in your D, his job is to attack a gap, which is gonna create a running lane. You need that NT to swallow up the center and guard to allow the LB to fill. If the NT cant command that attention, it become the LBs responsibility to fill that gap while dealing with a lineman, which is a lot to ask of a guy who could be giving up 100 lbs. Autry is an excellent 3 tech, and we saw a far more stout run defense inside last year when we had Al Woods and Grover both. 

You put a guy like Derrick Brown in there, he can beat that 1-1 and make the stop. So, you are gonna have to double him on inside running plays. If you dont, he will make the stop. If you do, the LB should be able to come downhill and fill the gap. 

• Like 3

On 9/25/2019 at 2:21 PM, GoatBeard said:

That's true, but a lot of that has to do with the technique itself. 

When you have a 3 tech in your D, his job is to attack a gap, which is gonna create a running lane. You need that NT to swallow up the center and guard to allow the LB to fill. If the NT cant command that attention, it become the LBs responsibility to fill that gap while dealing with a lineman, which is a lot to ask of a guy who could be giving up 100 lbs. Autry is an excellent 3 tech, and we saw a far more stout run defense inside last year when we had Al Woods and Grover both. 

You put a guy like Derrick Brown in there, he can beat that 1-1 and make the stop. So, you are gonna have to double him on inside running plays. If you dont, he will make the stop. If you do, the LB should be able to come downhill and fill the gap. 

I know that, I'm just saying we don't have much guys on our D-line that can stop the run

1 hour ago, CaptainColt12 said:

I know that, I'm just saying we don't have much guys on our D-line that can stop the run

Alright my mistake, I was just giving my take on the scheme and what we need to allow it to work properly in the run game.  Not everyone understands how it's supposed to work and why certain guys dont appear to be good run defenders. My bad.

The 1 Tech in this defense is not a tie up the Center and Guard position

Same position but not that role..........  A good 1 tech in Colts defense, penetrates a gap

In a true 3-4, the NT holds the middle toward the action

In our defense, the 1 tech needs to get in the backfield

• Like 2

I brought this up in another thread, and I realize this is about DT's

I agree with the OP that we need some help in the middle of the line

As the overall team roster improves, the draft picks will have a harder and harder time making the roster. You can see this trend 1000 miles away.

We may start seeing 5th and 6th round picks getting cut, as they cant break into this team

With this in mind, I think we may actually use some of this draft capitol being used to move up a few spots to grab a game changer DT or DE

The best defensive player in College is Chase Young.........  I havent seen anything like him in a few years... better than the Bosa's.....plays run and pass at elite levels

He has a large group of pass rush moves and I believe he will be 10 year pro bowl player in NFL.... 

He probably would cost too much, but I do see CB opening up the "draft wallet" and using some draft capitol to move spots to get a difference maker on defense

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 9:25 AM, MikeCurtis said:

I brought this up in another thread, and I realize this is about DT's

I agree with the OP that we need some help in the middle of the line

As the overall team roster improves, the draft picks will have a harder and harder time making the roster. You can see this trend 1000 miles away.

We may start seeing 5th and 6th round picks getting cut, as they cant break into this team

With this in mind, I think we may actually use some of this draft capitol being used to move up a few spots to grab a game changer DT or DE

The best defensive player in College is Chase Young.........  I havent seen anything like him in a few years... better than the Bosa's.....plays run and pass at elite levels

He has a large group of pass rush moves and I believe he will be 10 year pro bowl player in NFL.... 

He probably would cost too much, but I do see CB opening up the "draft wallet" and using some draft capitol to move spots to get a difference maker on defense

Young will likely go at No. 3 or No. 4 after teams trade up to draft their WB's. It would take 3 1st's to trade up that far granted we finish outside the top 20th in draft position. 

I think it's more likely we package our first and a second if we really like a guy at 12-18th ish 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...