Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Redskins 2nd round pick starting to shape up nicely

ColtStrong2013

1 minute ago, lollygagger8 said:

Our O-Line is already nasty. We need somebody in the middle who can stop the run 

That's also very true to be fair.

I just see a pro-bowler dangling there on a bad team, probably wishing to get away and we have a pick that could probably get him so it popped into my head.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Is anyone else watching the Redskins closely? I watched the Jets last year every week and thrilled everytime a big L was slapped on them. Washington looks like a real candidate to give us another early 2nd round pick, if not #2 again... 

Nope... Lol

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Our O-Line is already nasty. We need somebody in the middle who can stop the run 

I mean, everyone keeps saying this, but we have yet to allow a runningback to rush for 100 in this system, am I correct on that? So I don't know why this has been made such a big deal this week... This defensive line is made to have speed that can shoot the gaps, not have a big boy in the middle. 

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

I'd be tempted to send it back to them for Brandon Sherff if they can't get a deal done and really make our offensive line nasty!!

If we were to sent it back, I would look to make a deal for one of Jonathan Allen, Daron Payne, or Matt Ioannidis. All three are talented young defensive lineman who could be our 3 tech and can move around the front when needed

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Is anyone else watching the Redskins closely? I watched the Jets last year every week and thrilled everytime a big L was slapped on them. Washington looks like a real candidate to give us another early 2nd round pick, if not #2 again... 

I mean, I watched the YouTube highlights of their game last night. Does that count?

50 minutes ago, Introspect said:

Redskins are a top 3 pick.. They are BADLY coached. No plan for Khalil Mack. The Skins didn't even block the guy! Free runs at the QB multiple times:woah:

Lol I noticed that too.

To be fair though, would you want to be the guy who has to try and block him lol?

I mean, everyone keeps saying this, but we have yet to allow a runningback to rush for 100 in this system, am I correct on that? So I don't know why this has been made such a big deal this week... This defensive line is made to have speed that can shoot the gaps, not have a big boy in the middle. 

I think this stat is still important, don't get me wrong.  However, is it as important as it used to be before the running back by committee approach became the de facto?  The Chargers had around 125 yards rushing, but no single back had 100.  So, is that good?  I just wonder if that stat had more historical significance than it does now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's  because  teams are too busy attacking  our secondary.  While we haven't allowed  one in the reg season  we let a no name rb run for over 100 in the playoffs  versus kc.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stephen said:

That's  because  teams are too busy attacking  our secondary.  While we haven't allowed  one in the reg season  we let a no name rb run for over 100 in the playoffs  versus kc.

13th in Passing Yards per Game Allowed (244.3) and 20th in Rushing Yards Allowed per Game (114).

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense/table/passing/sort/netPassingYardsPerGame/dir/asc

41 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Freeman would have had over 100 easily  if they handed him the ball a few more times. He had a few big gains.

I’m more worried about 3rd and 15 against us than I am the run. We have issues on pass rush in third and long and/or middle of the field coverage. 

I almost wished we would go to what we did in preseason with the backs all lined up 10 yards off the line And make a tackle in front of the marker. We look  like rookies at every spot on 3rd down and Longs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Freeman would have had over 100 easily  if they handed him the ball a few more times. He had a few big gains.

"Easily"  He had a few big gains, yes. That helped his stats. Cut those down. Same with Chargers. They had big plays, which is the antithesis of what this defense is supposed to do. 

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

I’m more worried about 3rd and 15 against us than I am the run. We have issues on pass rush in third and long and/or middle of the field coverage

We did give up 3rd and long an awful lot... But... 

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

We look  like rookies at every spot on 3rd down and Longs. 

... a big part of that was because we have a lot of rookie and second year players out there. 

I still think Walker doesn't need to be out there in 3rd and long. When Leonard is back and healthy, I would hope we'll see more of Okereke and Speed at linebacker in those situations so we match up better. Regardless, this defense is still so raw, and we are OK with that as long as they continue to develop. By years end, this should be a much different conversation. 

Of course, we still need more pass rush, especially in 3rd and long. Banagou, Lewis and Turay need to keep fine tuning that aspect. That's the whole concept of where we are building this defense... When you focus on building via the draft, you HAVE to develop those guys. That comes with some growing pains. As long as we continue winning football games to keep us in the division and playoff race, we'll take them... 

• Like 1