Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Parris Campbell (or lack thereof)

SouthernIndianaNDFan

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think there's a lot of things happening, but I don't think we are short on talent at all. I think Funch/TY/Ebron were JB's security blankets, and he's simply relying on them. I also think the primary reads on most of FR's calls are to TY/Ebron, etc. Cain and Campbell are getting open, their snaps are just limited and JB doesn't have the chemistry with them yet. I'm really happy that JB at least found the wide open Pascal twice, which means he's getting better at read progressions and visions. 

I think it's just a matter of time for both JB (chemistry) and FR (snap distribution and his play calling).

I think he has been reading  progressions  the whole time, but not throwing  to them on purpose  so he can fool another  defense  in a later game

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think Reich did a little bit of a disservice saying he could handle 50 snaps week one. 

Yea Frank Reich hyped  him up too much. That's  why I thought he would have a big impact  from the gate. If he had said we will have to ease him back in it's be different. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I mean, all of the guys I listed, and probably a few I didn't, haven't had any problems. You have to manufacture touches for your playmakers. 

I think the team doesn’t have to show all its weapons yet to be successful. Other teams maybe “need” their rookie to show up, we don’t.  Yet 

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

How many practices have you been to?  Nobody on earth knows the personnel better than the coaching staff.   Frank has proved he knows what he is doing.   I'll take his observations over panicked fans here

I do trust these coaches have a schedule, a plan, a vision that we don’t get to see. Don’t just give it, make them earn it in practice and in the games. Allow them to become professionals, don’t let them become A. Browns of the world.  

3 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Yeah, him not knowing the plays/playbook would be the only reason I see as to why he isn't out there. Once Funchess went down I was sure he was gonna jump up past 50%. Guess we will see how involved he is this week. 

I hear you. I actually thought once DF went down, we would see more of Cain as well. I’m not sure what the deal is with Cain not getting looks and more targets. Now that DF and TY is out, I mean, it has to be time for PC and DC to see more field time and targets, right? From all accounts, DC was doing everything right in camp and he was really a beacon in 2018 until the knee. Unless the team overhyped his progress, I don’t get the Cain use. 

refresh my memory here, he would be an outside guy with all the route tree knowledge, correct? He isn’t considered a slot guy, correct?

51 minutes ago, IinD said:

Our fanbase doesn't even allow 30 days to be great..lol

Sad but true about some people. Someone has 1 or 2 bad games and some people want them gone or think they stink. I am glad Brissett shut his doubters up on Sunday. That was cool.

Campbell had a hamstring injury so he is being eased back in. 

• Like 1

Just by watching these first 3 games I think Campbell has consistently improved week to week. He looks like he will be ready for big contributions any time. His td against the Titans was a great route, great separation and catch. I have confidence him and Cain can carry this receiving corp with TY and Funchess sidelined(and they will probably have to). Pascal had 2 nice catches against the Falcons also.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Someone has 1 or 2 bad games and some people want them gone or think they stink.

Boy, you sure said a mouthful there. Like many already stated eloquently in this topic, very few athletes click immediately at this professional level. It takes time for the game to slow down, feel confident in what you're doing, & trust your eyes, hands, & feet. Campbell will get there. 

Yes, we all need to be realistic in our expectations no doubt. 

Wow, did we fall into a time warp and  jumped ahead to mid-season? 

1.  He missed pretty much all of the preseason. 

2.  TY is across him. 

3.  We all know how much Reich likes his TEs. 

4.  We've been a successful running team so far and that has been the focus. 

5.  Only 3 weeks in.  No time warp (I think). 

• Like 3

I think the preseason injury set him back. People forget how important the preseason is for rookies, especially hybrid/developmental players that need to practise being a convential player and learning how to play in the pros. It was the same for Turay last year.

Im still backing Campbell to be great. Now that the pass offense opened up last Sunday, I expect the recievers to get going.

9 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I don't understand Reich's reluctance to utilize Parris Campbell? He was so happy to get the guy. He hasn't played greater than 30% of the snaps, has been targeted 5 times -with 5 receptions- for a grand total of 36 yards. I mean, I understand bringing him along slowly in the first game because of the hamstring or whatever, but we lost Funchess and guys like Pascal aren't 25% the playmaker that Parris is. Why isn't he getting the playing time like the Hollywood Brown's, Terry McLaurin's, Deebo Samuel's, DK Metcalf's, and AJ Brown's? These guys have all been featured in accordance with their skill level, and requisite draft capital, so why isn't Parris getting featured? Maybe one of you guys knows, because he's on pace for 35 catches and under 200 yards for his rookie season. The track record for guys having successful careers after having rookie campaigns with that level of production (or lack thereof) isn't stellar. 

Time to fire Reich I guess.

• Like 1

Easing him in after his injury.  I’m guessing we have certain plays at each level of the field designed for him, and we’re gonna wait until the D is right and we need a splash play before we put that tape out there.  It may be his second or third year before he’s running a complete route tree ala TY...

It seems like we are ramping up our play, just good enough to win each game. Yeah, we lost in OT, but still played well. If the increase continues as the season goes on, it should be very interesting. It seems the underlying strategy is "overcoming injuries" throughout the season.

8 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

What’s wrong with asking about the lack of usage of a player many were excited about?

Most aren't asking that, they're basically saying he's underused already.  Literally 3 weeks into the season.

Not allowed to ease anyone in on this board. Jacoby was already heading towards scrub status in week 2.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

WR is the hardest position to learn next to QB.

Sry, but i think you're wrong here.... Would say wr is pretty easy. I started playing football in December last year. I'm playing Wr. And even i was only little bit more than a half year into it, i already managed to get some snaps on offense. Most of our other recievers play already for several years. Sure, the nuances at the position are deep, but not too hard to learn. I would go with O-Line or CB as the next difficult positions. 

(off topic i know :D

Now this is just a guess on my part, but we know this staff is huge on analytics; and my guess is that analytics say that rookie WRs tend to lose some gas towards the end of the season if used a lot and are wanting to keep his mileage down during the early part of the season so that he peaks during the end of the season and not mid-season and then drop off the last weeks... 

But as I said, it's a guess and is just as likely true as it is complete nonsense. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Lol true

We're quick to jump on a guy.lol

Hopefully he gets a play or two more per game soon I agree. But let's let the kid ease into his role.

He looks like he'll be a weapon once Frank figures out a consistent role for him.

13 hours ago, Stephen said:

Another thing I'm wondering  about is deon cain. Has he not been getting  open. I haven't  been able to watch any games so I can't  tell. Only seen the td drives on nfl redzone. 

cain was open like 3 times last game I know JB threw the ball short on a couple of them tho 

I kept saying that Campbell was going to more limited in his role then everyone was expecting.  

Ideally if injuries don't force him into more action Campbell is going to be slowly moved into part of the offense.  Most WR's don't show up in game 1 of their rookie year and start putting up 100 yard games.  He has to understand the offense and get a connection with the QB. 

Campbell was more than anything a pick for this team's future.  Have patience, not every draft pick is selected on the basis of what they can do for you this year.   

I am just pleased that so far he's caught the balls thrown to him and not made any major mistakes.  

40 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I kept saying that Campbell was going to more limited in his role then everyone was expecting.  

Ideally if injuries don't force him into more action Campbell is going to be slowly moved into part of the offense.  Most WR's don't show up in game 1 of their rookie year and start putting up 100 yard games.  He has to understand the offense and get a connection with the QB. 

Campbell was more than anything a pick for this team's future.  Have patience, not every draft pick is selected on the basis of what they can do for you this year.   

I am just pleased that so far he's caught the balls thrown to him and not made any major mistakes.  

Yea, but we need more playmakers now if we want to compete  with kc and new England. 

17 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I don't understand Reich's reluctance to utilize Parris Campbell? He was so happy to get the guy. He hasn't played greater than 30% of the snaps, has been targeted 5 times -with 5 receptions- for a grand total of 36 yards. I mean, I understand bringing him along slowly in the first game because of the hamstring or whatever, but we lost Funchess and guys like Pascal aren't 25% the playmaker that Parris is. Why isn't he getting the playing time like the Hollywood Brown's, Terry McLaurin's, Deebo Samuel's, DK Metcalf's, and AJ Brown's? These guys have all been featured in accordance with their skill level, and requisite draft capital, so why isn't Parris getting featured? Maybe one of you guys knows, because he's on pace for 35 catches and under 200 yards for his rookie season. The track record for guys having successful careers after having rookie campaigns with that level of production (or lack thereof) isn't stellar. 

Unfortunately, draft capital doesn't mean jack squat. Do you remember the enthusiasm Jim Ersay and everyone had for 

Phillip Dorsett? Give Campbell time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stephen said:

Yea been disappointed  about his usage as well. Though his snaps have increased,  but he still hasn't  made the impact I feel he can. He should be making plays like DeMarcus Robinson  from the chiefs.

He missed the entire training camp & only played in 1 preseason game, so it's probably going to take 4-5 games to get him fully up to speed to the point where Reich feels comfortable with increasing his workload.

18 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm guessing he can't run block.   He will be a gadget player.   Like Percy Harvin until he gets the full grasp of the offense.    If TY misses time,  I'm guessing his role will increase.

Reggie Wayne had 27 catches his rookie year

Ohio State fans know that receivers don't get on the field if they don't block well.  And that's AFTER they've proven themselves on special teams.  Watch how many starters the Buckeyes use on special teams.

Paris is slowly moving into the limelight. With TY having quad issues and Marlon not 100%, it will be sooner than later that Paris will be highlighted.  Anther key factor is whether he is 100% healthy and ready to withstand the hits coming. I am targeting it will be against KC. 

PS: There has been no info on how Funchess is doing with his rehab.