Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Parris Campbell (or lack thereof)

SouthernIndianaNDFan

I don't understand Reich's reluctance to utilize Parris Campbell? He was so happy to get the guy. He hasn't played greater than 30% of the snaps, has been targeted 5 times -with 5 receptions- for a grand total of 36 yards. I mean, I understand bringing him along slowly in the first game because of the hamstring or whatever, but we lost Funchess and guys like Pascal aren't 25% the playmaker that Parris is. Why isn't he getting the playing time like the Hollywood Brown's, Terry McLaurin's, Deebo Samuel's, DK Metcalf's, and AJ Brown's? These guys have all been featured in accordance with their skill level, and requisite draft capital, so why isn't Parris getting featured? Maybe one of you guys knows, because he's on pace for 35 catches and under 200 yards for his rookie season. The track record for guys having successful careers after having rookie campaigns with that level of production (or lack thereof) isn't stellar. 

2 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I don't understand Reich's reluctance to utilize Parris Campbell? He was so happy to get the guy. He hasn't played greater than 30% of the snaps, has been targeted 5 times -with 5 receptions- for a grand total of 36 yards. I mean, I understand bringing him along slowly in the first game because of the hamstring or whatever, but we lost Funchess and guys like Pascal aren't 25% the playmaker that Parris is. Why isn't he getting the playing time like the Hollywood Brown's, Terry McLaurin's, Deebo Samuel's, DK Metcalf's, and AJ Brown's? These guys have all been featured in accordance with their skill level, and requisite draft capital, so why isn't Parris getting featured? Maybe one of you guys knows, because he's on pace for 35 catches and under 200 yards for his rookie season. The track record for guys having successful careers after having rookie campaigns with that level of production (or lack thereof) isn't stellar. 

Still a rookie,likely adjusting to the nuances of the NFL.He will come on as we move on in season. 

• Like 3

Just now, Stephen said:

Yea been disappointed  about his usage as well. Though his snaps have increased,  but he still hasn't  made the impact I feel he can. He should be making plays like DeMarcus Robinson  from the chiefs.

I'm pretty confident the coaching staff knows what they are doing. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Yea been disappointed  about his usage as well. Though his snaps have increased,  but he still hasn't  made the impact I feel he can. He should be making plays like DeMarcus Robinson  from the chiefs.

They haven't increased, they actually dropped from 29% to 25% going into Week 2. DK Metcalf is around 70%, McLaurin around 60%, Mecole Hardman over 50%. Parris should be where those guys are, especially with Funchess out. 

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

How many practices have you been to?  Nobody on earth knows the personnel better than the coaching staff.   Frank has proved he knows what he is doing.   I'll take his observations over panicked fans here

Idk that anybody's panicking. Just wondering why our playmaker rookie isn't getting any snaps/touches when literally every other rookie WR taken in that range is seeing the field and flashing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Honestly, I think he's been consistently open/productive when on the field, so I'm surprised too. I assume he might just not know the offense as well having to miss most of the offseason/preseason; and that's the main reason for the lack of snaps. 

I could see this being the reason. 

1 minute ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

They haven't increased, they actually dropped from 29% to 25% going into Week 2. DK Metcalf is around 70%, McLaurin around 60%, Mecole Hardman over 50%. Parris should be where those guys are, especially with Funchess out. 

Wilson is using  Metcalf  as his n1 target most games. Mecole is just starting  to break out out due to watkins and Robinson  drawing coverage. Idk know where the Robinson guy came from but he is good. 

Redskins don't  have great wrs so it makes since to feature mclaurin who was Campbell's teammate. Campbell  should be able to have a similar impact.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Wilson is using  Metcalf  as his n1 target most games. Mecole is just starting  to break out out due to watkins and Robinson  drawing coverage. Idk know where the Robinson guy came from but he is good. 

Redskins don't  have great wrs so it makes since to feature mclaurin who was Campbell's teammate. Campbell  should be able to have a similar impact.

Yeah, him not knowing the plays/playbook would be the only reason I see as to why he isn't out there. Once Funchess went down I was sure he was gonna jump up past 50%. Guess we will see how involved he is this week. 

6 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Idk that anybody's panicking. Just wondering why our playmaker rookie isn't getting any snaps/touches when literally every other rookie WR taken in that range is seeing the field and flashing. 

They have been a power running team.  He isn't the best run blocking wide out.    I'm sure they will get the ball in his hands more as the season moves along.     He nearly broke a kick return yesterday

Still a rook so not sweating it yet. I mean hopefully TY is not seriously hurt but even if we can use Campbell as over the top threat to draw safeties deeper that would help underneath stuff to Ebron Doyle and even Allie-Cox. I'd like to see Deon Cain develop some shorter to intermediate routes that find holes in zone coverage as well.

8 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Another thing I'm wondering  about is deon cain. Has he not been getting  open. I haven't  been able to watch any games so I can't  tell. Only seen the td drives on nfl redzone. 

I think that is another one who needs to develop with JB. They have been working together extra in practice. He had more snaps then Campbell. Remember their plan was to work Cain back in slowly. He did have a big catch Sunday.

13 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The Chiefs have a deeper offense than us, hands down (especially w/ TY and Funchess out).  DeMarcus Robinson was targeted 4 times with 3 receptions for 48 yards last week, whereas Campbell was target 3 times w/ 3 receptions for 24 yards.  Last week was really the first week where Reich somewhat opened up the passing game... I expect Campbell will see more time as the season goes by, and the plan with him was never to have him come in and light the world on fire straight out of the gates, the staff and FO said since day 1 he's a work in progress w/ great upside.

8 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

We've been utilizing 3 TE sets and our TEs moreso than those other teams for the time being, and it's working just find for us.  Aside from us running a different offensive scheme than those teams, and aside from Parris missing time to injury in training camp, Parris came into the league as much more of a developmental type player than those guys.  He wasn't used as a traditional WR in college, he just let his playmaking and athleticism do everything for him... additionally, I'm sure things changed slightly a few weeks before the season when we found out we'd be going the whole year without Luck.  This past week is the only one which really saw the offense open up the passing game... Brissett proved he could deliver.  Reich also showed some new wrinkles with yesterday's play calling... I expect they're working behind closed doors with Parris and as the season goes on we'll see more and more about what type of play maker he can become in this league.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Another thing I'm wondering  about is deon cain. Has he not been getting  open. I haven't  been able to watch any games so I can't  tell. Only seen the td drives on nfl redzone. 

Huh? Cain has been open, sometimes by a bunch. Vs ATL, two of his targets were bad throws by JB (both back shoulder on the left sideline). I think the two misses were simply lack of chemistry, but JB had another bad back shoulder throw to another WR (can't remember who it was, but the announcers even talked about it).

Not trying to beat up on JB, as he was fantastic except for those couple of tosses. But saying Cain hasn't been open is incorrect. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I thought the Falcons game was proof that his playing time/targets will start to go up. 3 receptions on Sunday as opposed to only 2 catches in weeks 1 and 2. Also, just seemed like he was on the field more in general.

Some of these other rookies like Hollywood Brown, McLaurin, and AJ Brown are partly getting a lot of playing time because those teams seriously lack WR talent. Especially the Ravens and Redskins. Not that they haven't impressed though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I just hope the guy isn't a bust, I grabbed him in all of my dynasty leagues haha. 

I think FR is just trying to easy both PC and DC in slowly. Campbell has been far from a bust thus far. The fact he's involved in the return game means FR trusts him. I want to see both PC and DC more, but I think this is just FR being FR. He's more conservative in his personnel management than he is with his 4th down play calling :-)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I thought the Falcons game was proof that his playing time/targets will start to go up. 3 receptions on Sunday as opposed to only 2 catches in weeks 1 and 2. Also, just seemed like he was on the field more in general.

Some of these other rookies like Hollywood Brown, McLaurin, and AJ Brown are partly getting a lot of playing time because those teams seriously lack WR talent. Especially the Ravens and Redskins. Not that they haven't impressed though.

The Colts have a lot of WR talent? TY is basically the only show in town without Funchess 

33 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

The Colts have a lot of WR talent? TY is basically the only show in town without Funchess 

More talent than the Ravens and Redskins (never said we have "a lot" of talent, just that those teams seriously lack it). Not that Campbell hasn't been brought on slowly, just that on the Redskins for example, McLaurin is by far their best option at WR/TE. Whereas here, we have some viable talent at WR/TE.

Even aside from that debate, Campbell saw a lot more snaps against the Falcons and it seems like they're going to start utilizing him more.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

It seems he is flashing, he is getting alot more returns, and almost broke one off for a TD. I just trust the staff has a plan to use him in specific routes and game plans 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think FR is just trying to easy both PC and DC in slowly. Campbell has been far from a bust thus far. The fact he's involved in the return game means FR trusts him. I want to see both PC and DC more, but I think this is just FR being FR. He's more conservative in his personnel management than he is with his 4th down play calling :-)

Well week 5 he has to unchain  everybody or it could  get ugly.

I think he was viewed as a little more raw than some of the other WRs you mentioned. He has arguably the best talent out of this WR class, just needs to be a little refined under the tutelage of Hilton. 

I'm honestly more concerned that Deon Cain hasn't been more involved. He had an entire year to learn the playbook last season. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I think he was viewed as a little more raw than some of the other WRs you mentioned. He has arguably the best talent out of this WR class, just needs to be a little refined under the tutelage of Hilton. 

I'm honestly more concerned that Deon Cain hasn't been more involved. He had an entire year to learn the playbook last season. 

Perhaps still easing him back in after acl tear.

30 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I think there's a lot of things happening, but I don't think we are short on talent at all. I think Funch/TY/Ebron were JB's security blankets, and he's simply relying on them. I also think the primary reads on most of FR's calls are to TY/Ebron, etc. Cain and Campbell are getting open, their snaps are just limited and JB doesn't have the chemistry with them yet. I'm really happy that JB at least found the wide open Pascal twice, which means he's getting better at read progressions and visions. 

I think it's just a matter of time for both JB (chemistry) and FR (snap distribution and his play calling).

• Like 1