Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most well rounded Colts team in a while?

CaptainColt12

In the past 2 decades, the colts have had a heavy dose of offense and a lack luster defense, with Peyton never really having a top 15 defense with the colts. Then Luck having one of the worst colt rosters in a while for 4 years as well as having an awful Head Coach and one of the worst GMs in league history. This team has always seemed to have to get carried by a superstar QB this whole century. And without one we were 2-14 and 4-12. 

But this year feels a lot different, we have a good not great QB(not saying he won't become better, just at this time) with a great defensive line, tons of offensive targets, a very strong running game with a great defense too. This team will have a top 15 ranked, at least, offense and defense. An amazing coaching staff with a head coach who's strategic play calling brain is insane, and one of the best GMs in the league.

I know from 1999- 2005 we had one of the best QBs WR and RB in the league, but not a very great defense. And I feel like if Peyton was hurt for one of those years we would have went 7-9 tops. 

I think this is the most well rounded colts team this century but I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think this is one of the most well rounded management teams in Colts history.  Great FO, great coaching staff. The results on the field are a natural consequence of that.  We need to keep Reich and Ballard happy for as long as we can.

Irsay is doing a great job of shutting up too, which really helps.

For this defense to be a much more consistent defense that plays well week in week out, they need a true difference maker at NT. Someone who can eat up blockers, stop the run, but also collapse the pocket to where QBs can't simply step up to avoid pass rush from Turay, Houston, Banogu, etc. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

For this defense to be a much more consistent defense that plays well week in week out, they need a true difference maker at NT. Someone who can eat up blockers, stop the run, but also collapse the pocket to where QBs can't simply step up to avoid pass rush from Turay, Houston, Banogu, etc. 

I agree that that would be very helpful in taking it to the next level.

41 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Send an email to Ballard. haha

2005 was the most well rounded team the Colts had, but they did not win the SB.

Once teams realize they can pass with their WRs and TEs if they schemed their protection well against us, we don't have many game wreckers inside or outside that demand double teams on the DL, IMO. 

• Like 3

I know people like to forget about the Grigson and Pagano era...but that 2014 team was pretty well-rounded...which is a big reason they made it to the AFC Championship.

I would say...right now this team isn't as well-rounded as you make it sound.

They do have a well-rounded offense that can run and pass...which is not something we are used to seeing (at least before last season)...but the defense and STs (if we want to include this) have not been.

The defense is currently not in the top half of the league (according to EXP or DVOA)...and hasn't really passed the eye test for the most part. Pass defense has been in the bottom half of the league...and the run defense is in the bottom 5. 

They were great against TEN...but TEN is a bad offense as we know. Both LAC and ATL were able to move the ball well and put points on the board. And if not for a couple of very fortuitous INTs in those two games (which account for 2 of their only 3 takeaways so far this season)...the pass defense would likely be lower.

On STs...they have been solid returning the ball...but haven't been stellar in punt and kick return coverage...and obviously there has been some issues at kicker.

I think they are getting there...but definitely need to improve in multiple facets of the defense...run defense, pass defense, creating turnovers.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

A player like that would definitely help.  Of course, every team in the league is looking for a player like that as well.

• Like 1

A big part of our inconsistent defensive play is the youth movement that has a good ceiling but a lower floor unlike vets that would know how to "not lose games before winning them", IMO. The defense, I am certain would be better towards quarter 3 of the season than now.

47 minutes ago, ColtsSouljah said:

As mentioned, our defense really has not been very good. It's early and there is a ton of talent so hopefully they turn it around, but until then I don't see how we can make this comparison. The rush defense and secondary have been pretty poor.

We still haven’t allowed a 100 yard rusher. I thought limiting Henry to 80 something yards was pretty good.

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

I think this is one of the most well rounded management teams in Colts history.  Great FO, great coaching staff. The results on the field are a natural consequence of that.  We need to keep Reich and Ballard happy for as long as we can.

If we beat kc I see Irsay now. That's  what I'm talking about. Starwars numbers  mean nothing without a complete team lol

31 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We still haven’t allowed a 100 yard rusher. I thought limiting Henry to 80 something yards was pretty good.

We haven't  allowed  one because  teams are too busy destroying  our pass d.

20 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If we beat kc I see Irsay now. That's  what I'm talking about. Starwars numbers  mean nothing without a complete team lol

We haven't  allowed  one because  teams are too busy destroying  our pass d.

To be fair there aren’t many good defenses in the league. Offense is the name of the game. Chicago is great but they have QB problems.  Is 21 or 24 pts really that bad.

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Could we make a move for a Geno Atkins or someone like that?

My big question is what was the difference in the first and second half with the defense?  Did Atlanta adjust and do something different. Maybe all the injuries with guys going in and out hurt. At one point Moore missed some snaps and players on the defensive line kept going in and out with injuries during the falcons run. Seems like that effected the defense a lot. Turay also only played 14 snaps. Seems like that neck might not be 100%.

4 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Good post, our pass rush was virtually non existent vs the Falcons.

Also, the RB position behind Mack is a little shaky, Wilkins looked pedestrian yesterday.

5 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

I have to agree with you 100% I love this front office all the way down to the coaching I never liked a lot of the Colts teams that they put on the field  during Paytons tenure here.   The front office has done it just an incredible job with great young players with very promising futures I just love this team.  

4 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I know people like to forget about the Grigson and Pagano era...but that 2014 team was pretty well-rounded...which is a big reason they made it to the AFC Championship.

I would say...right now this team isn't as well-rounded as you make it sound.

They do have a well-rounded offense that can run and pass...which is not something we are used to seeing (at least before last season)...but the defense and STs (if we want to include this) have not been.

The defense is currently not in the top half of the league (according to EXP or DVOA)...and hasn't really passed the eye test for the most part. Pass defense has been in the bottom half of the league...and the run defense is in the bottom 5. 

They were great against TEN...but TEN is a bad offense as we know. Both LAC and ATL were able to move the ball well and put points on the board. And if not for a couple of very fortuitous INTs in those two games (which account for 2 of their only 3 takeaways so far this season)...the pass defense would likely be lower.

On STs...they have been solid returning the ball...but haven't been stellar in punt and kick return coverage...and obviously there has been some issues at kicker.

I think they are getting there...but definitely need to improve in multiple facets of the defense...run defense, pass defense, creating turnovers.

The good news is that this defense is still very raw and young. We watched them improve every week last year, so it's a bit unfair to point to statistics after 3 weeks as to indicate where this defense ranks. They've been good enough to win a division road game and our home opener (first in 6 years) when many didn't give this team a fighting chance after #12 retired. 

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

My big question is what was the difference in the first and second half with the defense?  Did Atlanta adjust and do something different. Maybe all the injuries with guys going in and out hurt. At one point Moore missed some snaps and players on the defensive line kept going in and out with injuries during the falcons run. Seems like that effected the defense a lot. Turay also only played 14 snaps. Seems like that neck might not be 100%.

Hooker injured him self at the end of the half and when he returned  the second half wasn't the same. Willis and geathers were getting  destroyed

Last year through the first 6 games the defense was one of the worst in the league , then got better week after week(fewest points allowed over the last 10 games in the league last season). So it is kind of puzzeling they have not played as well these first 3 games this year. They are giving up way too high of a completion %. Hooker being out is going to hurt bigtime. He is just that good. What really sucks is he is going to miss the kc game just like last years playoff game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

The good news is that this defense is still very raw and young. We watched them improve every week last year, so it's a bit unfair to point to statistics after 3 weeks as to indicate where this defense ranks. They've been good enough to win a division road game and our home opener (first in 6 years) when many didn't give this team a fighting chance after #12 retired. 

It's a small sample size...but it's where they currently are...definitely doesn't mean they will finish there.

5 hours ago, shastamasta said:

It's a small sample size...but it's where they currently are...definitely doesn't mean they will finish there.

I think the post below by two-pound is why I'm reluctant to judge this early on. We saw Leonard get better every week and this defense start forcing serious turnovers over time. We are playing several rookies way too much to not have some growing pains. 

5 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Last year through the first 6 games the defense was one of the worst in the league , then got better week after week(fewest points allowed over the last 10 games in the league last season).