Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich: Jacoby Brissett 'was unreal' in Colts win

csmopar

That was a fantastic performance.  I am still skeptical, but a couple of more games like that and I might join the Fanboy club on here.

When we needed that drive in Q3, he made some really nice plays without his go to guy with TY out of the game.

I think Reich knew exactly what they were going to do, and would assume ATL was defending the box in fear of the running game.  I'd have to watch the cut ups to see for sure, but I am guessing that was the case.  It must be great having that kind of line to play behind, and their are many options for Offense on this team.

This job by the FO has been astounding.  

Great job by the QB.

• Like 3

So far, Brissett has proven me wrong.  I thought he was a good QB but made poor decisions when things were on the line... like on third down when the team needed a 1st down, when the game was close in the 4th quarter or under pressure.  But so far this year, he has done the opposite of all of that.  He's made good decisions, made things happen, fought off and through pressure, he has done everything that a QB can do.

As good as his game was throwing the ball, it was his run in the 4th quarter, when the pocket collapsed.  That was is best play of the game, IMO.  The pocket collapsed, he stepped up in the pocket, a defender grabbed he, he broke the tackle and ran for a 1st down.  That was a great, game sealing, play.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

So far, Brissett has proven me wrong.  I thought he was a good QB but made poor decisions when things were on the line... like on third down when the team needed a 1st down, when the game was close in the 4th quarter or under pressure.  But so far this year, he has done the opposite of all of that.  He's made good decisions, made things happen, fought off and through pressure, he has done everything that a QB can do.

As good as his game was throwing the ball, it was his run in the 4th quarter, when the pocket collapsed.  That was is best play of the game, IMO.  The pocket collapsed, he stepped up in the pocket, a defender grabbed he, he broke the tackle and ran for a 1st down.  That was a great, game sealing, play.

yeah, I think we're seeing two things, Brissett's ability and maturity, but also the difference in a mediocre coaching staff in 2017 and a brilliant coaching staff circa 2019. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He did pretty good, there was a couple plays though that I felt like he should have just taken and run for it.  

At the same time though I can understand that maybe he's trying to protect himself.  Luck took a lot of hits in the pocket in the beginning of his career but he also wasn't protecting himself while running the first few years.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

He did pretty good, there was a couple plays though that I felt like he should have just taken and run for it.  

At the same time though I can understand that maybe he's trying to protect himself.  Luck took a lot of hits in the pocket in the beginning of his career but he also wasn't protecting himself while running the first few years.  

I thought he could of had a TD on one of the drives if he had just run.  The drive ended in  a field goal.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, csmopar said:

yeah, I think we're seeing two things, Brissett's ability and maturity, but also the difference in a mediocre coaching staff in 2017 and a brilliant coaching staff circa 2019. 

Also having spent 2 seasons in the system and a full training camp with the 1's.  

No question coaching sucked in 2017.  But Brissett has a lot of stuff stacked against him that year.  It was a bad team, he was brought in like a week before the season started with only 1 career start.

There really arn't many more things you could have stacked against him.  The only thing he had in 2017 was a decent (but not good) receiver corps.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I thought he could of had a TD on one of the drives if he had just run.  The drive ended in  a field goal.

That was one of the ones that I was thinking about.  But I think he would have likely taken some punishment for it.  

I remember Andrew under Frank ran a ball out at the one rather than take a hit going into the endzone.  He was miced up and asked Frank if that was the right decision and Frank said yes and he would have body slammed him for running it in.  

Plus Andrew retired from all the injuries.

So I think he's being coached to protect himself and Andrew retiring sort of put the point of emphasis on it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That is why I am still skeptical.  He is a slow decision maker many times.  This is a very QB friendly environment right now with talent, coaching, scheme.  One of these days, JB is going to have to win a game for us to be great.  That is just the nature of NFL QB.  I still have doubts that he can carry a team when there is pressure etc. because only about 10-12 guys in the Universe can ever do it, and only a half dozen or so can do it often.

But Sunday was a great performance.

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Call me crazy but I'd rather him throw it away versus run.  We can't afford the added risk to injury. 

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

That is why I am still skeptical.  He is a slow decision maker many times.  This is a very QB friendly environment right now with talent, coaching, scheme.  One of these days, JB is going to have to win a game for us to be great.  That is just the nature of NFL QB.  I still have doubts that he can carry a team when there is pressure etc. because only about 10-12 guys in the Universe can ever do it, and only a half dozen or so can do it often.

How often did Peyton tuck it and run?

• Like 5

HE just won us that falcons game lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

HE just won us that falcons game lol.

Well I think there is a difference in what I am thinking about when I say "win a game" and what you are thinking about.  Yes we won the game Chloe.  I get it.

If we keep having guys this open and protection this clean, then he isn't ever going to have to do what I am thinking about.  But that is not possible.  It is fairly clear that the team is pretty good at the least.

But the reality is that in retrospect, the schedule has been weak so far.  The teams we've played are not playing very good football this month so far.  The Browns beat the Jets and the Titans beat an apparantly grossly overhyped Browns squad.

Like I said the first post here.  I am not a Fanboy yet, but he was impressive Sunday.

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Well I think there is a difference in what I am thinking about when I say "win a game" and what you are thinking about.  Yes we won the game Chloe.  I get it.

If we keep having guys this open and protection this clean, then he isn't ever going to have to do what I am thinking about.  But that is not possible.  It is fairly clear that the team is pretty good at the least.

But the reality is that in retrospect, the schedule has been weak so far.  The teams we've played are not playing very good football this month so far.  The Browns beat the Jets and the Titans beat an apparantly grossly overhyped Browns squad.

Like I said the first post here.  I am not a Fanboy yet, but he was impressive Sunday.

I look at that fourth quarter and how we ended that game with the ball in his hands. I don’t really really care if people are wide open. That was mainly the genius that Reich is. He took us to a tie game in week one In fourth and he drove for the winning drive vs the Titans. He has been clutch.

• Like 1

He did good. 

I think it's an issue of can he make performances like that a regular thing.  One good game doesn't prove it, it only proves it's possible.

Time and more games will tell.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

He sure looks like he has a really good grasp of  The Game, the Time & Space continuum. That year in NE had to be great for him. Let alone our current coaching staff.

My favorite was watching it, and Loften explaining how he was accurately putting the ball to the shoulder side the receiver needed, to break away from the defender.
 I've been waiting what 8-9 years to see that again. Great stuff!
 Well prepared.

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

He did good. 

I think it's an issue of can he make performances like that a regular thing.  One good game doesn't prove it, it only proves it's possible.

Don't think he has to.  There will be other games where Brissett doesn't look like a worldbeater.  He's STILL a guy who is learning on the job.  But as long as he can do enough to hold up his own end even on bad days, like he did against the Titans, we ought to come out looking OK most of the time

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

He did good. 

I'm just gonna say this, he's had to do it 3 weeks in a row and delivered each time. I think he still has more room to grow and needs to before I'm fully on board, but he's more than capable under pressure

• Like 4

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Reich did say that is now the standard.

Yeah but I don't think that necessarily means 300 yards, Chloe.  I think it means being smart and decisive with the football, not giving it away, keeping a cool head and performing well, especially in the second half.

He does that though, yards and TDs will come his way

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Yeah but I don't think that necessarily means 300 yards, Chloe.  I think it means being smart and decisive with the football, not giving it away, keeping a cool head and performing well, especially in the second half.

He does that though, yards and TDs will come his way

Yes I understand that. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

He sure looks like he has a really good grasp of  The Game, the Time & Space continuum. That year in NE had to be great for him. Let alone our current coaching staff.

My favorite was watching it, and Loften explaining how he was accurately putting the ball to the shoulder side the receiver needed, to break away from the defender.
 I've been waiting what 8-9 years to see that again. Great stuff!
 Well prepared.

You're a closet Pat fan as well?  he spent 1 year with the Patriots and 3 with the Colts, I think his improvement is because of the 3 years on the Colts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

The only real hole i see right now is that he and Cain just are not in sync.
 I am betting they will be working really hard on that the next few weeks.
 No doubt in my mind those 2 are going to be great together.

Cain did mention they are doing extra work on the side during practice. Cain had more snaps then Campbell. He played 40 snaps which was quite a lot.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Yeah, 2017 is pretty irrelevant. 

This is a much, much different offense. When I look at Brissett, I see a much better QB than a guy like Nick Foles, for example.

He has brought the personal characteristics with him, like his toughness and slipperiness in the pocket, as coffee drinker pointed out in that big scramble he had in the 4th quarter. But he is in an offense he can handle, and he has help with Reich here vs Chuck Pagano. And that's not a critique of Chuck, he was just a defensive guy, not a former NFL QB.

And that was the most impressive thing to me about Sunday. After barely touching the ball in the 3rd quarter, where we only had 3 plays and under 2 minutes of possession the entire period, he comes back in cold, and after a stupid mistake to put him deeper in the hole, he pulls it together and delivers the kind of drive only the elite QBs ever seem to manage. No momentum, no rythym, down his biggest weapon, not running the ball too well up until then, 1st and 15......and he marches us right down the field for a Marlon Mack TD. Wow. That was big time. He had to get it together right then, at that very moment, and he did.  

I thought it was a statement game for our QB yesterday. He let our fans know that he plans on filling the void and that we are gonna be OK. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

That was a fantastic performance.  I am still skeptical, but a couple of more games like that and I might join the Fanboy club on here.

When we needed that drive in Q3, he made some really nice plays without his go to guy with TY out of the game.

I think Reich knew exactly what they were going to do, and would assume ATL was defending the box in fear of the running game.  I'd have to watch the cut ups to see for sure, but I am guessing that was the case.  It must be great having that kind of line to play behind, and their are many options for Offense on this team.

This job by the FO has been astounding.  

Great job by the QB.

Just from watching the highlights...it looked like Reich called a masterful game as well. The first read seemed to be open on most plays...and sometimes wide open. He had ATL chasing the ball all over the place.

I am with you...this is a great step in the right direction. Hope to see more of it from JB...and more chances to throw downfield.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

He did good. 

This is exactly right. It's a great performance to build upon. Literally everything was working for them...but that won't always be the case. There will be adjustments to make.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I'm just gonna say this, he's had to do it 3 weeks in a row and delivered each time. I think he still has more room to grow and needs to before I'm fully on board, but he's more than capable under pressure

Ehh he played the game manager role in the first 2 games.  Didn't even throw for 200 yards in either game.  

This is the first game where JB was the backbone of the offense. 

50 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Call me crazy but I'd rather him throw it away versus run.  We can't afford the added risk to injury. 

How often did Peyton tuck it and run?

You aren't crazy. With the beatings a great deal of the league's qb's are taking to start the season, one of the key strategies has to be to just protect your qb and outlast everybody. It's unbelievable this season... and you know that many of them are looking at Luck thinking, "maybe this guy got out at the right time." 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Ehh he played the game manager role in the first 2 games.  Didn't even throw for 200 yards in either game.  

Only against the Titans did he play the game manager role. We ran the ball too well for him to rack up 300 in the Chargers game, but he still had 3 touchdowns and dominated the red zone. This was his first opportunity to put up numbers and he did extemely well. This game will only help our run game going forward. By mid season, hopefully teams are respecting the hell out of our passing game and Mack is able to chalk them up early and often. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

True, or I think he could have thrown it for a TD.  But that guy chasing him down was coming in fast.  He'll get there I think.  At least he didn't take the sack.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

the amount of yards don't matter. Each of those 3 games, he had to make a 4th quarter drive to win the game, or tie. And he was a coin flip from being 3-0...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

You're a closet Pat fan as well?  he spent 1 year with the Patriots and 3 with the Colts, I think his improvement is because of the 3 years on the Colts.

Like it or not Reich has us playing New England football.  The commitment to possession football, discipline and eliminating mistakes combined with 2 different quarterbacks lifted from the Patriots roster makes the comparison write itself.

Personally I think it's overdue.  If you struggle to beat an opponent it's never a bad idea to learn from them.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Like it or not Reich has us playing New England football.  The commitment to possession football, discipline and eliminating mistakes combined with 2 different quarterbacks lifted from the Patriots roster makes the comparison write itself.

Personally I think it's overdue.  If you struggle to beat an opponent it's never a bad idea to learn from them.

I wouldn't say Pat's football, just winning football.  A great majority of the better teams, in college, pro, even high school football share those same traits.  Those great Green Bay teams did it, Miami's great teams did as well.

Maryland did the same thing when Reich played there, Buffalo did that when he played there.