Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week by week luck/brissett comp


Trace Pyott

Recommended Posts

Some won’t like this thread believing that we must move on but I like to see how jacoby Compares to luck so we can truly gauge where this franchise is heading and where it’s been, and how good luck actually was. I don’t have a lot of time so It might be ugly and I’m prob going to miss a few things but here it goes and I hope either I or someone else keeps this updated. 

 

2018 luck

week 1 39-53 att, 74% 319 yards 2 td 1 int 93.2 rating 

2.  21-31 att, 68% 179 yards 2td 2int 77.2 rating

3 25- 40 att, 62% 164 yards 1td 0 int 79.6 rating

 

 

  brissett 2019

Week 1. 21-27 att 78% 190 yards 2td 0 int 121 rating 

week 2. 17-28 60% 146 yards 3td 1 int 95 rating 

week 3. 28-37 76% 310 yards 2td 0 int 118 rating. 

 

 

At this point luck had 5 td and 4 int where jacoby has 7td 1 int. I would def say so far and I stress SO FAR we look to be in very good hands if he can sustain this and the crazy thing is I think he will get better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Luck was missing Ac and nelson wasnt playing like an all pro his first few games either.  also not a big fan of rating, it rewards efficiency but not necessarily making plays and it treats all TDs and interceptions the same, regardless of what the QB actually did

 

that was JBs best game by far though, so kudos to him for that

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Luck was missing Ac and nelson wasnt playing like an all pro his first few games either.  also not a big fan of rating, it rewards efficiency but not necessarily making plays and it treats all TDs and interceptions the same, regardless of what the QB actually did

 

 

 

 

I agree.   The QB rating is an OK indicator, but it is flawed.   

It is almost amusing that a QB can get a perfect passer rating even though he has a few in-completions.   How can it be perfect if it can be better?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Brissett, and I am not one bit surprised by what he has done so far.

 

But you are really comparing apples and oranges.

 

The O-line was bad at the beginning of last year, really bad.

 

Now it's great.

 

Not to nit-pick, but just before Vinitieri made it 13-0, Brissett missed a wide open Hilton when he threw it away.... Go look. He should have had 3 TD's!

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the nicest way, it's a bit of a pointless comparison. Too much variance between the two situations to do a week by week comparison. You could look overall at the end of the year for a better comparison but again different roster, different schedule and just the whole madness that is Luck retiring when he did. 

 

I'd argue too that there are some better metrics to use. Go on PFR and look at stuff like adjusted net yards per attempt, TD%, INT% etc. Volume stats aren't really all that useful in a vacuum. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yah I know you can’t compare them one to one exactly but I think a lot of people either overated luck based on potential or under rate brissett because he wasn’t some stud prospect.  I hope as the season goes on we can bump this thread and update it so we can see how brissett compares to luck.  Obviously I would rather have luck but I don’t think he’s head and shoulders above brissett either. I can’t wait to see how the season plays out either way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Luck with his higher ceiling probably could get away with INTs, just like Peyton. Brissett, because of a lower ceiling, plays within his limitations without taking too many chances and thus keeps us in games, and if the support comes through in the form of the running game, D and ST, his efficiency will be magnified. If the D comes out flat like the first 2 drives for the Falcons in the second half, Brissett can only shoulder so much, IMO.

 

That is why, we will be an underrated team even if we continue building our D and OL but we will win more games if we play more complete games in all 3 phases. Ballard will put his money where his mouth is, on building a complete team that is not dependent on the QB, no matter who it is and it will become more important with Brissett.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

Yah I know you can’t compare them one to one exactly but I think a lot of people either overated luck based on potential or under rate brissett because he wasn’t some stud prospect.  I hope as the season goes on we can bump this thread and update it so we can see how brissett compares to luck.  Obviously I would rather have luck but I don’t think he’s head and shoulders above brissett either. I can’t wait to see how the season plays out either way. 

Look, i respect what you’re trying to do and i agree with the sentiment. But we as fans need to give Brissett the chance to be his own self. Luck was always compared to Manning and that drove me nuts. Both were dang good QBs and guys. Brissett will probably always be compared to Luck, which given the multitudes of differences just in team make up and the roster, will be unfair to both.

 

that said, I think the biggest thing you’re going to see between the two is that Brissett will have fewer “Superman” style plays but his INT ratio is going to remain rather low. He seems to know to throw it away versus forcing bad throws.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Brissett was being commended (in game 3) with throwing spot on, to the proper shoulder, telling his pass catchers which way they needed to break after the catch.
  Hahaha!  He was Throwing BBZ.

 Our last QB never learned to do it. P.T. Harbaugh, what a salesman.
  This is so much fun to watch. Reich & Siriani had some kool plays yesterday.
 And they will continue to build the offense, add wrinkles week to week.  
  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think most will naturally compare, so I don't think there is a problem discussing it.  

 

Brissett is surprising me with his command of the field, decision making, and accuracy.  He is actually doing something Luck didn't do very well, which is to accurately place the ball in the receiver's space, not just put it anywhere within catch range.   To that extent, he is better suited to this offense than Luck is.  Luck is more suited to Arians style.  That's a generalization, but because of it, I don't miss Luck.

 

I thought we would be wanting to look for a new Qb come this spring, but I think I'm going to be wrong about that.

 

Luck's stats will be inflated relative to Jacoby's because he threw the ball downfield more, IMO.  If Jacoby can throw a few more chunk TDs, he'll be better overall statistically when factoring in completion percentage and turnovers along with yards and TDs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

Yah I know you can’t compare them one to one exactly but I think a lot of people either overated luck based on potential or under rate brissett because he wasn’t some stud prospect.  I hope as the season goes on we can bump this thread and update it so we can see how brissett compares to luck.  Obviously I would rather have luck but I don’t think he’s head and shoulders above brissett either. I can’t wait to see how the season plays out either way. 

That's a fact, Jack.  He got the yards and the wins, and I guess that's what matters, but he seemed to only be able to play one way, and the NFL is moving away from that because that is the way QBs get hurt.

 

I like the way JB plays.  If he can hone his craft with experience, we'll be in a better place, IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

Luck was missing Ac and nelson wasnt playing like an all pro his first few games either.  also not a big fan of rating, it rewards efficiency but not necessarily making plays and it treats all TDs and interceptions the same, regardless of what the QB actually did

 

that was JBs best game by far though, so kudos to him for that

 

 

 

This.  Luck took a few weeks to get into a groove because of coming back from injury.

 

Also totally agree on passer rating.  The formula used counts both yards per attempt and completion percentage in it.  So it effectively gives double points to completion percentage.

 

A QB who goes 40 for 40 for 100 yards is given the same passer rating as one who goes 20 for 40 for 325 yards.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think most will naturally compare, so I don't think there is a problem discussing it.  

 

Brissett is surprising me with his command of the field, decision making, and accuracy.  He is actually doing something Luck didn't do very well, which is to accurately place the ball in the receiver's space, not just put it anywhere within catch range.   To that extent, he is better suited to this offense than Luck is.  Luck is more suited to Arians style.  That's a generalization, but because of it, I don't miss Luck.

 

I thought we would be wanting to look for a new Qb come this spring, but I think I'm going to be wrong about that.

 

Luck's stats will be inflated relative to Jacoby's because he threw the ball downfield more, IMO.  If Jacoby can throw a few more chunk TDs, he'll be better overall statistically when factoring in completion percentage and turnovers along with yards and TDs. 

 

Discuss yes, but the premise of the comparison in the OP is flawed. 

 

I tend to agree it's not about the gaudy volume numbers as much now, but about efficient offense. 

 

To your point about ball placement, IMO his only pick came on making a bad decision, and then compounding that by not not putting the ball in a place only TY was going to make an (unlikely) catch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

 

Discuss yes, but the premise of the comparison in the OP is flawed. 

 

I tend to agree it's not about the gaudy volume numbers as much now, but about efficient offense. 

 

To your point about ball placement, IMO his only pick came on making a bad decision, and then compounding that by not not putting the ball in a place only TY was going to make an (unlikely) catch. 

I agree with that.  Week to week is probably not going to be comparable, unless a lot of adjustments are made.

 

The one chunk pass he had to TY down the sideline was probably supposed to be a back shoulder catch.  But even that was under thrown and the catch was completed by TY making a great play on the ball.  And I think another was pretty high and hard to Ebron, who made a very good catch to save it.

 

JB's better than Luck in this offense so far, IMO, but I don't know if his intermediate or long ball accuracy is as good at this point.  That may be an issue down the road.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jemack said:

 I can understand using Manning as a yard stick. But I just didn't witness that kind of (consistant) greatness from Luck where he should be used in a comparison.

 

Man Luck was pretty great.  He threw bad INTs on occassion.  But he covered up a lot of ugly.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

There are a lot of callers on the radio saying they think the team is better with Brissett because the players connect with him more then they did with luck.

That's silly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Man Luck was pretty great.  He threw bad INTs on occassion.  But he covered up a lot of ugly.

That's silly.

It sounds silly but I see where they are coming from. Luck struck me as a guy who didn’t really hang out with the other players much off the field. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chloe6124 said:

It sounds silly but I see where they are coming from. Luck struck me as a guy who didn’t really hang out with the other players much off the field. 

What is the basis for that?   He and TY are best friends

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chloe6124 said:

It sounds silly but I see where they are coming from. Luck struck me as a guy who didn’t really hang out with the other players much off the field. 


It's silly.  It has nothing to do with it.  You think Brady is out clubbing with his young talent or something?  Are those guys coming over to his kids Chucky Cheese Birthday parties?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nickster said:


It's silly.  It has nothing to do with it.  You think Brady is out clubbing with his young talent or something?  Are those guys coming over to his kids Chucky Cheese Birthday parties?  

Bad analogy.  Brady is fairly well known for opening his home for his teammates

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nickster said:

I don't ever  recall hearing anything negative about Lucks leadership.  He seemed to take some pretty untalented teams quite far before the injuries, and then they had  apretty good 3 months last year.

I think his leadership seemed to be more with his play on the field then a vocal charismatic leader. Brissett seems to be so easy to root for. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate the comparison. How many of those INTs early last year came on drops, I remember 2 or 3. How many can on poor line play. They're are some many variable. I have seen Andrew go from a top 5 franchise QB by football people to an overrated non leader on this site. Ridiculous! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Man Luck was pretty great.  He threw bad INTs on occassion.  But he covered up a lot of ugly.

He also fumbled in 50% of his games. And had more BBs at the line than any Qb that I ever seen. And besides, I wrote (constant) greatness. If you feel he showed that, so be it. Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, egg said:

I love Brissett, and I am not one bit surprised by what he has done so far.

 

But you are really comparing apples and oranges.

 

The O-line was bad at the beginning of last year, really bad.

 

Now it's great.

 

Not to nit-pick, but just before Vinitieri made it 13-0, Brissett missed a wide open Hilton when he threw it away.... Go look. He should have had 3 TD's!

 

 

 

I saw that too...but that defender was closing in FAST.  I think if it's there, in the future, he makes that throw away a TD though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

It sounds silly but I see where they are coming from. Luck struck me as a guy who didn’t really hang out with the other players much off the field. 

 

As others have already pointed out, you’re off with this assumption. 

 

You can like Brissett without pulling down Luck you know?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, chad72 said:

Luck with his higher ceiling probably could get away with INTs, just like Peyton. Brissett, because of a lower ceiling, plays within his limitations without taking too many chances and thus keeps us in games, and if the support comes through in the form of the running game, D and ST, his efficiency will be magnified. If the D comes out flat like the first 2 drives for the Falcons in the second half, Brissett can only shoulder so much, IMO.

 

That is why, we will be an underrated team even if we continue building our D and OL but we will win more games if we play more complete games in all 3 phases. Ballard will put his money where his mouth is, on building a complete team that is not dependent on the QB, no matter who it is and it will become more important with Brissett.

So are you calling him a tall Russell Wilson here?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t mean to start a bash luck/bash brissett debate or a debate on who is better. I more or less meant to show people that brisett in his own way has been better than even I thought. I know the stats I posted aren’t everything but it’s at least a glance at a moment in time. If you just take these three games in comparison than yes it’s not really comparable because luck was coming off injury but I hope to update this as the season goes on just to show how things stacked up. Basically I’m trying to shine light on the inevitable conversation of “what if luck would have stayed?”  It would at least give us some insight and ability to compare the two as the season went on. Also I didn’t do it Because luck is the end all be all best Qb ever......that would be #18:) but I just wanted to put things in a little bit better perspective.   Hope this helps explain the point here and helps knock off some of the pointless arguing and nit picking. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

I didn’t mean to start a bash luck/bash brissett debate or a debate on who is better. I more or less meant to show people that brisett in his own way has been better than even I thought. I know the stats I posted aren’t everything but it’s at least a glance at a moment in time. If you just take these three games in comparison than yes it’s not really comparable because luck was coming off injury but I hope to update this as the season goes on just to show how things stacked up. Basically I’m trying to shine light on the inevitable conversation of “what if luck would have stayed?”  It would at least give us some insight and ability to compare the two as the season went on. Also I didn’t do it Because luck is the end all be all best Qb ever......that would be #18:) but I just wanted to put things in a little bit better perspective.   Hope this helps explain the point here and helps knock off some of the pointless arguing and nit picking. 

Best left unsaid. All this is accomplishing is to put a wedge between Colt fans pitting Brissett against Luck. It serves no useful purpose. Brissett is the Colt QB and the only thing that matters is did he play good enough to help the team win. Andrew is history as a Colt QB and I hope he is very successful in his next pursuit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, stitches said:

Some pretty preposterous things are being thrown around here. I'd advise against bringing up this comparison if you want to feel good about our QB in the long run. 

I was just passing along what I was hearing. I don’t necessarily believe it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Luck's INTs hurt the O just as much as River's picks have hurt it now.  The difference then is that TY was TY and it was easier for Luck to come back from the mistakes quickly, along with Ebron.  A situation that probably was born out in the next 10 games rather than the first 6.  Not sure if Rivers is going to have his TY or Ebron.   I don't think anyone wants the Luck of the first 6 games of 2018. 
    • No, we need find a new young QB. I still rather had Stidham this year and sank or swam with him.  If he did well and improved as the year went by awesome. If he sucked we draft in the top 10 and get one of the three top QBs coming out. Now we will probably win the East again, and a playoff game or two. And then back to the drawing board.
    • Some looking good...others  not so much.
    • Lmao the Pats are ONE game behind the Bills and have a vastly superior Defense.  Also they averaged 29 points with Cam (not counting Sundays fiasco where the entire team was rusty from lack of practice) oh and on Sunday there was ONE starter on the O line left after the first quarter. (1 broken hand, 2 COVID the day before the game)    I see us beating the Bills twice (unless This COVID issue continues) and sweeping the East division again. 
    • I always try to make a day of it, and eat somewhere prior to the game when I come back. Given the Covid situation, not really sure what to tell you. Not really sure what's open either. I'd probably stay safe and just do a tailgate cookout.   If you want to do the concessions though, here's a link to what's available. https://www.lucasoilstadium.com/attending-an-event/concessions/
  • Members

    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 6,859

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DougDew

      DougDew 4,175

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • RollerColt

      RollerColt 2,632

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • VikingsFanInChennai

      VikingsFanInChennai 219

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Dogg63

      Dogg63 1,165

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • dw49

      dw49 3,322

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Pelt

      Pelt 683

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • bravo4460

      bravo4460 1,763

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • pgt_rob

      pgt_rob 2,465

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • bWild

      bWild 58

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...