Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
Chloe6124

Campbell is close to breaking out

Anyone think Campbell is really close to breaking out. Not just on KR but as a WR. I feel he is getting close. Cain had a big catch also but Campbell seems like he is very close.

• Like 2

I hope so...but it all depends on usage. Outside of TY...no one player seems to get featured in the passing game. Spreading the ball around can be a good thing for the team...but makes it more difficult for any one player to break out.

It's interesting...if we had not seen the Colts play (to know how the offense is running) and noticed that Cain and Campbell had COMBINED for 8/82 and a TD in the first three games of the season...I think we would be somewhat disappointed. I hope at some point...one of those two guys gets to have a coming out party. TY is phenomenal...but a legit 2nd (and 3rd) weapon will be needed.

To make the next step, he really needs to "up" his physicality.  He's got the speed, but he's not quite physical enough.

Funchess was a beast in that regard.  Can't wait until he's back. 

6 hours ago, zibby43 said:

To make the next step, he really needs to "up" his physicality.  He's got the speed, but he's not quite physical enough.

Funchess was a beast in that regard.  Can't wait until he's back. 

When is funchess supposed to be back, anyone know???

8 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

I’m pretty sure they said 8-10 weeks

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Anyone think Campbell is really close to breaking out. Not just on KR but as a WR. I feel he is getting close. Cain had a big catch also but Campbell seems like he is very close.

I’m not sure he’s close. He’s had some flashes here or there but he’s got to get consistently open first and Jacoby has to find him the ball

6 hours ago, BlueCollarColts said:

We really need someone to step up at WR besides Hilton with Funchess out. 

We have 3 really good TE's that could fill that void.

Also, I'd like to see Hines lined up at WR. He's great in open space. 

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Hines played the slot a few plays yesterday and did great. Cain had 40 snaps and Campbell had 32. 

1 hour ago, Trace Pyott said:

Week 11 I think at the earliest. If we can stay in the playoff and division race he will be a big asset to get back going down the stretch.

Comfort factor between Brissett and Campbell is coming right along.  

8 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I hope so...but it all depends on usage. Outside of TY...no one player seems to get featured in the passing game. Spreading the ball around can be a good thing for the team...but makes it more difficult for any one player to break out.

Yet another TB12 comparable.  Brady used to be known for doing exactly this.  Heck, check the receiver stats against the Jets, he's going back to it as he starts to slow down a bit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Brissett really started getting Hines involved in the second half.  It was clearly a look the Falcons weren't quite ready for.

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don't know if I would say he's coming close to breaking out.  But he's being used more.  I guess he missed much of camp so I would assume that his usage is going to increase as he becomes more and more caught up.

If TY misses time with his quad injury Campbell will likely see even more use as he would be the ideal guy to play the burner role.  

• Like 1

not sure about breaking out, but he's sure close to breaking one...especially on kick returns. 

He's going to have plenty of chances for sure though. 

• Like 1

I'm ok with Campbell thus far.  He's done what's expected of him.  When the ball has come his way he has caught it.  No major mistakes.

WR takes some time to learn and if Hilton is available there is no reason to try to rush him into the game too fast.  

14 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

not sure about breaking out, but he's sure close to breaking one...especially on kick returns. 

He's going to have plenty of chances for sure though. 

That kick return late in the 2nd was about 2 feet away from him breaking it off, the guy who had ran past the play and came back and tripped Campbell up made a heck of a play on a near shoe-lace tackle.  I agree, as he gets more confidence, we'll start seeing him break some big plays off, which is pretty darn exciting.

I'm not worried about Campbell's number three weeks into the season. He's a rookie. If he can stay healthy, I feel like he will continue to grow as the season goes on as his role in Reich's offense will increase. 

It took Philip Dorsett 5 years to show up. Hopefully it takes Dorsett 4 years less. lol.

On 9/23/2019 at 1:24 AM, shastamasta said:

It's interesting...if we had not seen the Colts play (to know how the offense is running) and noticed that Cain and Campbell had COMBINED for 8/82 and a TD in the first three games of the season...I think we would be somewhat disappointed. I hope at some point...one of those two guys gets to have a coming out party. TY is phenomenal...but a legit 2nd (and 3rd) weapon will be needed.

I think it might be best that we spread out the ball instead of focusing on one player. If we focused on anyone other than the obvious (TY) defenses would target them to make JB more uncomfortable. I think Reich wants JB in the mindset of “That guy is open, he’s just as good as everyone else” rather than “Well that guy is open but he’s not my favorite, so I’ll try to force a pass to my favorite.” Luck had favorites (TY, Doyle, Ebron) and defenses cracked down on them later in the year forcing Luck to turn to Hines, Rodgers, and Pascal, with much worse results. I think Reich is being smart with his limited use of each person (other than TY, because he just makes it too easy).

Keeping his options open

All just my 2¢

8 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

That kick return late in the 2nd was about 2 feet away from him breaking it off, the guy who had ran past the play and came back and tripped Campbell up made a heck of a play on a near shoe-lace tackle.  I agree, as he gets more confidence, we'll start seeing him break some big plays off, which is pretty darn exciting.

On that kick return if you look closely there were two guys closing in on him before he cut up the field, and he just kinda shimmied between them in a split second and they flew past him. He made it look so effortless, I was really impressed. The kid is fast

3 hours ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

On that kick return if you look closely there were two guys closing in on him before he cut up the field, and he just kinda shimmied between them in a split second and they flew past him. He made it look so effortless, I was really impressed. The kid is fast

Oh yea, they had pretty good coverage on it and I think he would've taken that all the way across the field for at least 10 (if not more) yards had he not gotten tripped.  A little more film room and a little more confidence in him and I'd put money on it that he'll take one to the house at some point this season.

• Like 1

I see next season as  break out year for him if he continues to improve. This year, make the most of the opportunities given. He is quite a ways from overcoming defensive game planning that is designed to focus on him. 

• Like 1

We haven't even seen half of what this team can do.  Brissett's emergence accelerated the schedule a bit but this is still a team mostly building for 2020 and beyond.