Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quincy wilson and these PI calls

VaAllDay757

I didn't see the play...but was probably a make up call...which we all know happen.

Does seem a bit of a stretch to say the Colts (or any Colts player) got the short end of the stick in this game in regards to penalties. At the tiime of that Wilson DPI...penalites were 16-2 IIRC.

But I will gladly take it...nice to be on the receiving end for once.

38 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He barely touched the guy and that ball was uncatchable. Should of never been called.

I sort of disagree.  Although it was likely uncatchable, watching the replay several times, the receiver might have made a valiant effort in trying to come back to the ball. The fact that Wilson clearly, indisputably yanked on him to prevent even the possibility of coming back to the ball, that’s PI in my book.  Just a needless penalty.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

Wilson tends to get at least one PI called on him per game.

Wilson is a VERY handsy CB. He was the same way in college. The refs are going to keep calling them.

He’s literally had 1 call and n every game this season. This has been an issue with him since college. 10 years ago he would’ve been great. But you can’t play CB the way he does in this era.

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Maybe this is over simplifying, but maybe stop grabbing receivers and it'll stop getting called? 

I"am sorry I do not think the Players for the colts are the only corners out their in the league grabbing some shirt. It happens in almost every game it"s just a matter of who the receiver is and the corner is. Name is the key to getting flagged. Tom Brady made a interesting statement last week during the Monday night game between the Jags and Ten. That he was retiring for the evening due to many flags during the game. I live in NH for the summer and watched the patriots game and did not see one flag on the patriots during the first half. so tell me your name does no carry weight in the NFL

• Like 1

7 hours ago, will426 said:

well for one we got a lot of press corners who play Man good yet we allow free release and free 5-10 yards due to coverage in zone lol..on that last TD by jones were playing zone in which Wilson and geathers get embarrassed 

Agree with most but to me that deep zone should have been Geathers area

• Thanks 1

There was a tug.  I'm not sure how anyone watching can dispute that.  You can argue whether it was excessive, if Jones momentum contributed to the fall, or if the pass was uncatchable, but Wilson did tug him at the end.  It was unnecessary.  

That being said, the other PI calls on him this year were questionable IMO.  But he is a physical corner and is playing well.  I like him when they line him up in the box.  Physical enough to tackle, but can also backpedal out to defend.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Agree with most but to me that deep zone should have been Geathers area

Agree - and I thought Wilson made a heck of an effort to catch up, lay out, and almost made an unbelievable pass breakup.  Julio Jones made an all star -caliber catch on that play.

I said this on the game day thread but the ball hit three yards behind jones’ feet. That’s 9 feet. His momentum was carrying him forward. In order to catch that, he has to arrest that momentum/energy, and in a split second redivert it in the total opposite direction. He wasn’t at full speed but he was pretty close. This type of move in my opinion isn’t possible.

If you don’t believe me, watch players doing the shuttle run. This is as close to the maneuver that jones needed to catch that pass. Even then it wouldn’t fully be accurate since those guys never fully get into breakaway speed.

On the Julio Jones TD, it looked he bit on the receiver in front of him too long, there already had a DB on the receiver in front, and to let Julio Jones run past him to the corner of the end zone for the TD is a mental error.  Jones is their best WR and one of the best in the NFL, to let him run by you unchecked with no help behind you seems to be a poor grasp of the defense or not playing smart defense, not a lack of physical ability.

7 minutes ago, Caffrey said:

On the Julio Jones TD, it looked he bit on the receiver in front of him too long, there already had a DB on the receiver in front, and to let Julio Jones run past him to the corner of the end zone for the TD is a mental error.  Jones is their best WR and one of the best in the NFL, to let him run by you unchecked with no help behind you seems to be a poor grasp of the defense or not playing smart defense, not a lack of physical ability.

In a zone you cover your zone. You don't decide to chase after someone because he is the best in the league. You cover your zone and hope everyone else is covering theirs till the ball is in the air.

Wasn't his zone from the front of  the end zone where he was to back of the end zone since that is where he was with no one was behind him.  It resulted in a TD on a play that look he may have been able to have defended.   True, it should not matter if he is the best WR in football and Ryan's favorite WR, he still should have covered him.