Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Review of the colts after 3 weeks

CR91

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

The constant zone defense is getting us killed. We need more man coverage 

Walker looked great against the run

I think the Okereke is going to be good

I think there was a successful screen ran! (gasp!) 

The stunts they keep trying to run happen so slow it's not working. Something needs to change

Brissett can really throw on the run, and the sack escapes are impressive

I'd love to see the TE's get more involved. Cox is better than he gets credit for. 

Yeah, but on the other hand, man coverage against Jones, Ridley, and Sanu? 

Idk about that........... not a smart idea IMO :thinking:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

That defense looked completely different in the second half of this game. I don't know if the Falcons figured something out or what but man. Eberflus can’t be stuck in ways and has to try and generate pass rush or disrupt timing. Teams are going to try and attack this zone like LAC and ATL did

Except that lone interception (which was a good play from Geathers, but lets admit it, a silly, badly missed throw from Ryan), the defense looked lost the whole game. The Falcons had 6 drives, and puntet only once. They scored 3TD's, 1FG, and got to the RZ in that INT drive. This is not how a defense that holds an opponent to 3 points look like. They kept the Falcons at 3 points because the Colts offense also was laser sharp and kept Ryan anc co. off the field.

Regarding the first 3 games, my overall impression is good. This team is still so young and the last minute change at QB didn't help, so I expected studs as well as duds, I knew it will be a bit of a rollercoaster in the beginning. For me, the offense looked better than I expected overall, the defense looked a bit worse overall than I expected. This may change after another few games though. :)

Positives:

- Brissett is a bit better than I thought he will be

- The oline WORKS

- Mack is GOOD

- Hilton is still elite and clutch

- We have some passrush. Not yesterday, but we do.

- Reich is doing a great job so far. Very few wth calls, many good calls, and a number of great calls. He should probably keep that red flag when it comes to challenging (D)PI-s, lol. :D That new rule is terrible, and obviously, the officiating try to eliminate them, never reversing the originall call. But until it won't hurt our chances at the end of halfs / games, so be it.

Negatives:

- The defense allow too many long runs

- Other than maybe Ya-Sin, the other rookies have a looong way before they can replace / beat the starters. They are rookies, so it's expected, I just noted it, 'cause last year we had Nelson and Leonard who contributed from day 1. This year we have to be a little more patient.

Notes

- The oline works fine, however, the transition to ZB is still under progress. Those outside zone runs don't really work yet. (It's not just the oline, the entire offense need to learn how to block in these plays).

- So far, I am not impressed by the schematic change regarding the defense. I do see the more man coverage, I do see some changes, but it's a mixed bag yet. There are as many plays when the players look lost and not knowing their assigments as many plays work. I still expect Eberflus to put it together as the season goes by, because if he won't, then we might've crowned him too early. Atlanta's defense showed us last night, that NFL coordinators learned to game plan against these "make it simple and act fast" type of zone-heavy, simple defenses. It's a bit old school already. Eberflush has to shake it up, add some complexity and disguise, make it more difficult to read.

36 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

It just killed me watching Atl receivers run 8-12 yds stop and turn around, as our DB's then just stood there waiting for them to catch the ball, and then closing in to tackle them. It happened time after time yesterday.  A weird coaching technique.

Dis you keep a eye on the KC score. They almost blew a 30-10 lead. It’s not just a colts problem. Offenses are very good in this league.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Dis you keep a eye on the KC score. They almost blew a 30-10 lead. It’s not just a colts problem. Offenses are very good in this league.

The game wasn’t that close. Ravens scored with 2:00 minutes left. L. Jackson made some plays with his feet, but most of his pass yds came in the 4th.  

14 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

How much of the vanilla d had to do with Leonard being out?

He blitzes once in a blue moon, so I'd say the lack of PR had nothing to do with Leonard.  He did have a sack last game, but it was more of a coverage sack that he reacted late and was completely unblocked.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

It just killed me watching Atl receivers run 8-12 yds stop and turn around, as our DB's then just stood there waiting for them to catch the ball, and then closing in to tackle them. It happened time after time yesterday.  A weird coaching technique.

Needed a pass rush, but you you don't want to give up too much to Jones, with Brown gone nuts, he is the best in the Universe along with Hopkins.  You have to respect those guys.  

ATL has some weapons.

2-1, tied for first place in the AFC South. The sky is the limit. I’m really happy to see Walker and Moore had a very good tackling day yesterday. Is it time for a Booger McFarlane type trade? Give up a 2nd rounder to get more stout on the D-Line? Hunt, Stewart, Turay, Lewis and Banogu have a combined 4 tackles amongst them in 3 games. I admit I was was a bit premature on anointing the sack pack. Big offensive line and Ryan playing like an MVP in the second half, without pressure, is my biggest concern heading into the weeks ahead. 

13 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Without a pass rush our CB's are in for a long afternoon. If we want to have a serious chance in the playoffs I think Ballard has to trade for a quality ER or CB before the deadline.  Otherwise I think KC or NE will give us an early exit.  

I'm not sure about that need of another endrusher.  We had good pressure in the 1st 2 games.  This game not good, but the 1st 2 the pass rush was pretty much ferocious and game changing.

16 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

This D reminds me of the old days under Polian.  It was only when they went and traded for Booger McFarland did they elevate their play. To move to the next level at some time Ballard is going to have to make a move for a DT....a game changer.  I know they r hard to get but this D needs one and mayb 2.  The rumour was that they wanted Simmons and when Tennessee grabbed him apparently Ballard traded back.  I am for moving up in the draft and grabbing one next year.

It would really be nice to have a stud DT, but they are pretty rare.

10 hours ago, ColtsAC said:

My Colts review after 3 weeks...and I don't think anyone cares, including my 6 sons, lol.

The Good

1. Reich play calling ..a real plus. Much improved over Pagano era (I liked Chuck as a person). Remember when there were Sean Payton to the Colts rumors? It was his gusty, creative play calling that appealed to me. Well, I think Reich, in terms of play calling and guts will be mentioned in the same breadth if he gets his Super Bowl win.

2. Offensive line - as good as advertised.

3. Brissett - his grabbing the reins and performing under pressure is a pleasant surprise. You have to be all in on him. Missing Luck is like missing an ex-girlfriend....wasting that emotion will only hurt you.

4. Mack - solid. Totally solid.

5. Rookies playing. The fact that they are playing and the Colts could have been 3-0 speaks well of the draft. Willis shows promise, particularly in run support.

6. Jack Doyle's contributions.

The Mediocre

1. Leonard...I guess I was hoping for more. I know he's hurt but I thought something was amiss the first two games.

2. Ebron - maybe spreading the ball around has lessened his opportunities.

3. Return game. Not much happening there.

4. 2nd receiver. With Funchess and Fountain out, not much happening there....we seem to be "F'ed". Has there been a Rogers citing? 

The Bad.

1. The pass rush. Just not what I thought would be a strength this year. Next years draft should be pass rushers, pass rushers, and all the free agent pass rushers you can find. Stick a fork in Houston (you know the rest).

2. The 2 games of kicking woes.

3. Playing loose zones. Geesh...Ryan was making it look like a backyard football game where he hit every pass.

The Amazing

1. Ebron's first touchdown (the flip pass at the goal line)

2. The Pascal td call today

3. Geathers interception (not a typo, he really did it).

4. The 3rd Colts cheerleader from the left....just kidding.

If you are only talking Sunday pass rush, it looked bad, but it was among the best int he league in sacks and pressures in the 1st two weeeks.

Six sons.  Wow.  Does your wife have her own separate wing of the house?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Probably one of our biggest needs next offseason. A dominant NT who can both stuff the run and rush the passer. Wanted one this past draft but I guess the board didn’t fall our way. 

There are like 0 of those guys on the planet thougth.

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I thought maybe it was my imagination until I just read this.

I saw it too.

The ball is in the air on its way to the receiver. Instead of closing fast on the receiver to break it up, dbs are just trotting along while watching the ball come down.