Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Review of the colts after 3 weeks

CR91

I'm interested to see how our pass rush does going forward. The Chargers and Titans were both down 2-3 starters and while Ryan mostly got rid of the ball quickly there were still opportunities.

Also, as for blitzing, it does seem like we've shied away from it since we went pretty blitz happy in week 1. Rivers did make us pay for it most of the time though.

Nothing bad to say about the offense though. Great day there.

My only complaint about the offense was when they had first and goal on the one.  You have to QB sneak on first down.  Worst case, you don’t gain a yard.  They were forced to pass instead.  

The D scheme was very bland in the second half.  Falcons converted every third down and scored TDs on all three drives. No pass rush to speak of.  

Still, this is a very good team that will only get better with experience.  

• Like 2

That defense looked completely different in the second half of this game. I don't know if the Falcons figured something out or what but man. Eberflus can’t be stuck in ways and has to try and generate pass rush or disrupt timing. Teams are going to try and attack this zone like LAC and ATL did

Offensively, Reich seems to be getting in a groove with Brissett and what he does well. I just want the lateral runs to be few and far between. 

Campbell almost busted one today. It would be nice to get more from the return games going forward.

I don’t know that we will blow anyone out this season but we certainly can win a good amount of games based on what I’ve seen so far.

Overall, I’m pleased with how the offense has performed to start the year. The running game has looked strong overall and Jacoby has looked very solid and played a heck of a game today.

The defense on the other hand needs a bit of work. The pass rush was largely absent today after being strong the first two weeks. The run defense continues to give up large chunk plays but is solid overall. The corners could improve their play as well.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

That defense looked completely different in the second half of this game. I don't know if the Falcons figured something out or what but man. Eberflus can’t be stuck in ways and has to try and generate pass rush or disrupt timing. Teams are going to try and attack this zone like LAC and ATL did

Offensively, Reich seems to be getting in a groove with Brissett and what he does well. I just want the lateral runs to be few and far between. 

Campbell almost busted one today. It would be nice to get more from the return games going forward.

I don’t know that we will blow anyone out this season but we certainly can win a good amount of games based on what I’ve seen so far.

It started falling apart when players kept having to leave the game for plays at a time. It was kind of a weird point in the game. We still didn’t allow a 100 yard rusher.

• Like 1

The chunk run plays we've allowed are from the linebackers not filling the right gaps or two filling the same gap. 

That was corrected between Leonard and Walker seemingly, but today I saw both Okereke and Walker out of position several times each. I am not Eberflus, however, I think it would have been smarter to put Okereke at the WILL and leave Walker at MIKE. 

Outside of that, we certainly played a vanilla prevent zone the whole 3rd quarter and it showed in the final score....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This D reminds me of the old days under Polian.  It was only when they went and traded for Booger McFarland did they elevate their play. To move to the next level at some time Ballard is going to have to make a move for a DT....a game changer.  I know they r hard to get but this D needs one and mayb 2.  The rumour was that they wanted Simmons and when Tennessee grabbed him apparently Ballard traded back.  I am for moving up in the draft and grabbing one next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think run D was a huge problem today. Sure, allowed a couple big gains, but we were stuffing them up and down in the second half for the most part. 

It was those 3rd and long passes (mostly over the middle) that we gave up one after another, mostly due to the defense we were running. Worked in the end though, took away the deep stuff and their drives took some time off the clock.

When you look back there aren’t many teams who have great defenses and a great QB. KC gave up 28. The ravens gave up 33 to KC. I mean teams like Chicago have great defense and no QB.

The defense had a rough patch that kind  of got them out of things with players going in and out with injuries. No hooker the entire third and no Leonard the entire game hurt. Julio Jones is great for a reason. That penalty against Wilson should never have had a flag. All in all I think we did ok with the circumstances.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I agree. Would be nice to have him or another big nasty in there to really help our edge guys

Probably one of our biggest needs next offseason. A dominant NT who can both stuff the run and rush the passer. Wanted one this past draft but I guess the board didn’t fall our way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pacergeek said:

The defense is garbage on third downs. Way too predictable. Makes things very easy for good QB's. Opposing QB completion percentage is not acceptable. Eberflus needs to fix this ASAP.

Exactly...good QBs pick this cover 2 defense apart pretty easily.  Mat Ryan did as well in the second half.  Colts fortunately did enough to hold on for the win.  Game could have turned out different if our offense did not make plays in the 4th quarter. 

1 hour ago, Pacergeek said:

The defense is garbage on third downs. Way too predictable. Makes things very easy for good QB's. Opposing QB completion percentage is not acceptable. Eberflus needs to fix this 

I think they r trying.  Sometimes u just cant fix it if u dont have the talent. We need game changing DT's. When we dont get any pressure, the opposing team converts.   I would love to move up next year or mayb Ballard can make a trade for a DT 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

When you look back there aren’t many teams who have great defenses and a great QB. KC gave up 28. The ravens gave up 33 to KC. I mean teams like Chicago have great defense and no QB.

The defense had a rough patch that kind  of got them out of things with players going in and out with injuries. No hooker the entire third and no Leonard the entire game hurt. Julio Jones is great for a reason. That penalty against Wilson should never have had a flag. All in all I think we did ok with the circumstances.

They're making the challenge irrelevant. 

My Colts review after 3 weeks...and I don't think anyone cares, including my 6 sons, lol.

The Good

1. Reich play calling ..a real plus. Much improved over Pagano era (I liked Chuck as a person). Remember when there were Sean Payton to the Colts rumors? It was his gusty, creative play calling that appealed to me. Well, I think Reich, in terms of play calling and guts will be mentioned in the same breadth if he gets his Super Bowl win.

2. Offensive line - as good as advertised.

3. Brissett - his grabbing the reins and performing under pressure is a pleasant surprise. You have to be all in on him. Missing Luck is like missing an ex-girlfriend....wasting that emotion will only hurt you.

4. Mack - solid. Totally solid.

5. Rookies playing. The fact that they are playing and the Colts could have been 3-0 speaks well of the draft. Willis shows promise, particularly in run support.

6. Jack Doyle's contributions.

The Mediocre

1. Leonard...I guess I was hoping for more. I know he's hurt but I thought something was amiss the first two games.

2. Ebron - maybe spreading the ball around has lessened his opportunities.

3. Return game. Not much happening there.

4. 2nd receiver. With Funchess and Fountain out, not much happening there....we seem to be "F'ed". Has there been a Rogers citing? 

The Bad.

1. The pass rush. Just not what I thought would be a strength this year. Next years draft should be pass rushers, pass rushers, and all the free agent pass rushers you can find. Stick a fork in Houston (you know the rest).

2. The 2 games of kicking woes.

3. Playing loose zones. Geesh...Ryan was making it look like a backyard football game where he hit every pass.

The Amazing

1. Ebron's first touchdown (the flip pass at the goal line)

2. The Pascal td call today

3. Geathers interception (not a typo, he really did it).

4. The 3rd Colts cheerleader from the left....just kidding.

• Like 1

The constant zone defense is getting us killed. We need more man coverage 

Walker looked great against the run

I think the Okereke is going to be good

I think there was a successful screen ran! (gasp!) 

The stunts they keep trying to run happen so slow it's not working. Something needs to change

Brissett can really throw on the run, and the sack escapes are impressive

I'd love to see the TE's get more involved. Cox is better than he gets credit for. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

The constant zone defense is getting us killed. We need more man coverage 

Walker looked great against the run

I think the Okereke is going to be good

I think there was a successful screen ran! (gasp!) 

The stunts they keep trying to run happen so slow it's not working. Something needs to change

Brissett can really throw on the run, and the sack escapes are impressive

I'd love to see the TE's get more involved. Cox is better than he gets credit for. 

Would love to see more man as well but I don't think we have the right guys for the most part.  Maybe that's why were rumored to be interested in Minkah and Ramsey.  I think if Ballard can find another good man corner our defense could be very good.  Still a ways to go to the trade deadline.  You never know if another team might decide to tank.  haha.

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Would love to see more man as well but I don't think we have the right guys for the most part.  Maybe that's why were rumored to be interested in Minkah and Ramsey.  I think if Ballard can find another good man corner our defense could be very good.  Still a ways to go to the trade deadline.  You never know if another team might decide to tank.  haha.

I don't see Ballard giving up picks for either of those guys. Minkah is good, but Ramsey is a head case. 

I also think Ya-Sin will figure it out and eventually be good. Desir and Moore are legit, but seem to be better in man. 

10 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

The defense is garbage on third downs. Way too predictable. Makes things very easy for good QB's. Opposing QB completion percentage is not acceptable. Eberflus needs to fix this ASAP.

Once again, proof that you do not watch the games.  Just an FYI, the Colts 3rd down D was bad in the 2nd half of the Falcons game.  The 6 quarters prior to that the Colts D allowed only 1 of 13 - 3rd downs to be converted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This team is still learning 

Okereke did well on some plays, in others, he looked lost

Ya-Sin Looked good on some plays, in others, he looked lost

JB will (Should) keep getting better. His timing on certain routes with certain recievers, should improve. It only takes a little bit of improvement to move an over throw, to a completion.

I am glad that they opened the playbook up a bit for JB. Its no secret that we are going to be a run first team.

This SHOULD open up some pass lanes. 

Take what the defense gives you.

The defense is still coming together. We had guys out of position today. We went up against one of the best receiving crews in the NFL and an elite pinpoint passer. And won.

Not getting my SB tickets, but this is a top 10 team we have, even without Luck.

• Like 1

It's the sign of a balanced team that one facet of the game struggles and the others do enough to win.  First 2 games the offense was a mixed bag and special teams struggled.  Our D kept the game winnable.  Today the defense got gashed hard, but the offense and special teams did more than enough to keep the game from getting away from us.

I'm sure the Colts' coaching staff will be working on guiding their young team through fixing the mistakes they made last Sunday.  At the same time, I still trust this defense.  They're young and need some seasoning to be truly proficient but the talent is there.  Brissett isn't the only guy learning on the job.