Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich and the 4 minute drive


Imgrandojji

Recommended Posts

That final drive to ensure the win after the Falcons put it in question was just a thing of beauty.  Used the pass game, used the run game, kept it short not because he had to but because it was the best way to win.  Marched down the field using all our weapons.  Our OL was battered an struggling but held up just enough to allow us to execute.

 

Well done to Mr. Reich.  That was a major strategic victory against a team that, while a bit mentally soft, is no joke to play against.  They almost outplayed us, they gashed our D hard, but our HC had them out-thought and it didn't matter

Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of this play in particular, it's so satisfying to have a head coach who is a strategic master.  Someone who can think the game at a very high level, get buy-in and get the players to execute his strategy.  We haven't had that in a very long time.

 

I know Reich's an offense guy, but the Bill Belichick comparisons are making theselves right now.  He really is a next level strategist out there.  Love it! :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The lack of success of running outside without pulling a guard is the only concern I have.   Passing game looked great.   Runs between the tackles were huge in the 4th

 

Our tackles are slow and struggle to get out and set the edge. WRs are small and don’t block well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree on the final drive. I would love some of the journalists to ask them about the rationale on the multitude of 3d and long for the Falcons and the coverage we chose to play. It was so frustrating and annoying... we switched to man coverage on 3d and short... but we were playing zone still on 3d and long. Just man up on 3d and long and make the WRs beat us... QBs like Matt Ryan simply dispose of our soft zone in those situations. Every high end QB we've played against has killed us in those situations. Hell even old Eli Manning almost beat us last year by abusing our zone.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Agree on the final drive. I would love some of the journalists to ask them about the rationale on the multitude of 3d and long for the Falcons and the coverage we chose to play. It was so frustrating and annoying... we switched to man coverage on 3d and short... but we were playing zone still on 3d and long. Just man up on 3d and long and make the WRs beat us... QBs like Matt Ryan simply dispose of our soft zone in those situations. Every high end QB we've played against has killed us in those situations. Hell even old Eli Manning almost beat us last year by abusing our zone.  

It WAS painful.  I feel like we could have pressed on the los and pressured the QB a little more. It seemed like we didnt blitz at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Regardless of this play in particular, it's so satisfying to have a head coach who is a strategic master.  Someone who can think the game at a very high level, get buy-in and get the players to execute his strategy.  We haven't had that in a very long time.

 

I know Reich's an offense guy, but the Bill Belichick comparisons are making theselves right now.  He really is a next level strategist out there.  Love it! :D

 

I was thinking the same thing.  Finally!  I was so frustrated during the Pagano era, but now I can just marvel at the brilliance of Frank.  Feels good, real good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

I’m not entirely sure what the 2nd half defense was all about, but a win is a win. And hopefully Vinny has put his kicking troubles behind him. 

I think the falcons adjusted and we just barely  hung on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Coltsfan66 said:

I live in south Florida, they felt that the Pats vs Jets game was more important :woah:

 

Is going to a bar or Sunday ticket out of the question? There are plenty of resources to watch games live in South Florida.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The lack of success of running outside without pulling a guard is the only concern I have.   Passing game looked great.   Runs between the tackles were huge in the 4th

 

Yeah but when that pulling guard is a screaming Q, bodies end up on the turf and a hole generally opens up... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

 

Yeah but when that pulling guard is a screaming Q, bodies end up on the turf and a hole generally opens up... 

Man,   how scared was that DB when Nelson came around the end on that long Mack run.    Good lord,   imagine that coming straight at you full speed

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Man,   how scared was that DB when Nelson came around the end on that long Mack run.    Good lord,   imagine that coming straight at you full speed

 

All I could think of. From Zak Keefer's recent article and excerpt from his twitter page... 

 

"That could have been bad for you."

IMG_20190922_190755.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Frank said some of those plays were run/pass options & JB made the right calls (like the pass to Doyle to end the game.  What I loved is how we started attacking with the pass on first down.  Getting 6-7 yards on first down is perfect for us.  Keeps us on schedule.  Excellent game planning & play calling by Frank & near perfect execution by JB.  I’m loving the way they’re working & growing together 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Man,   how scared was that DB when Nelson came around the end on that long Mack run.    Good lord,   imagine that coming straight at you full speed

That play was a thing of beauty but I thought Q hurt himself because that CB ducked just in time and Q kinda drove his shoulder into the turf. I was hoping he kept plugging away and no injury. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

From Reich's introductory presser:

Quote

 

Toughness: 

The first one is that we will be the toughest. We will be the toughest both mentally and physically. What I mean by that is there will be a relentless pursuit to get better every day. A relentless pursuit, relentless every day, to get better and an obsession with finishing strong.

 

 

giphy.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Superman said:

From Reich's introductory presser:

 

giphy.gif

 

Yes it is.  The coach is getting the players to buy in, the quarterback is getting the players to buy in, and the team is executing.  It might not always be pretty, but this team is mentally tough and we're seeing the reward of that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...