Indianapolis Colts
GoColts8818

Week 3 impressions: Brissett

I didn’t get to see the game, but I definitely got what I wanted out of this one. That’s a good pass defense, from what I’ve heard. This bodes well going forward. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pilgrim said:

I didn’t get to see the game, but I definitely got what I wanted out of this one. That’s a good pass defense, from what I’ve heard. This bodes well going forward. 

Brissett completed his first 16 passes and just looked great. It was fun to watch.

• Like 3

My impressions of him today is that he was incredibly impressive.  I was hoping he’d have a fairly high volume yardage game with at least a couple TDs.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Brissett is on pace to have more TD then Luck last year.

And fewer interceptions! 

• Like 1

Patience is a virtue.  What a difference a week makes.  Jacoby is doing just fine and Vinatieri can kick again.  

• Like 1

Now we just need to follow that up next week. It looks very probable TY might miss that game.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

kc is ridiculous. they don't have tyreek hill and they still score alot. Demarcus robinson, hardman, watkins, kelce. We wold have to run the ball and keep it away from mahomes and hope the d gets a stop.

Just wait till they put Hill and Hardman on the same side and have a sprint race lol

When number 12 was still our quarterback everyone had us at 2-1.

I am so proud of Jacoby, he showed nerves of steel today. We got the ball with 4:11 in the 4th and all he did was lead a methodical march down field that drained every second of the clock.  Well done QB!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

So far this season has been great IMO. 2-1, Brissett throws for 300 yards to satisfy the stat lovers, Vinny makes 2 FG's and 3 extra points to satisfy the he needs to be cut guys. lmao 

• Like 2

I just watched the Deion "you ball you get the call" nonsense on NFL network.  Jacoby "got the (well earned) call".  Deion says to him "you got the raiders coming up next" and Jacoby answers through his smile "they got us coming up too".  Really starting to like this guy.  Gonna be a fun year.  Go Colts!  Hats off to a great offensive performance today!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Indy_Mike said:

I agree...that would have been the classiest move of any team this season...wonder if Frank even considered it?

Totally agree, and if the injury was caused by something one of our players done, I'm sure coach would have declined it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sumo63 said:

I just watched the Deion "you ball you get the call" nonsense on NFL network.  Jacoby "got the (well earned) call".  Deion says to him "you got the raiders coming up next" and Jacoby answers through his smile "they got us coming up too".  Really starting to like this guy.  Gonna be a fun year.  Go Colts!  Hats off to a great offensive performance today!

BTW the way, is your avatar from Wind Waker?

Probably a top-15 quarterback in the NFL right now. He was unreal today. Really impressed with him.

We've seen the good decisions and solid play in the redzone, but he was picking apart that Falcons defense all game long, while being under a good amount of pressure for most of the game too.

• Like 1

I wish I could have seen the game...could only catch it on the radio in the car...but sounds like JB was great (I did see the Pascal TD highlight...which was quite nice). 

Seems like Reich opened up the playbook a bit more as well...and let JB sling it.

• Like 1

Rick Venturi was saying all week our pass game could do well against the falcons. He was right. Looks like the falcons played a lot of man and we created mismatches with the TE.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

what is most impressive about this game is they stopped our run game and jacoby was able to put it on his back and eat them up with the passing game. that answered all the questions of people thinking if we ever got the running game stopped we'd be in trouble.  jacoby heard what you were thinking and he threw up the middle finger!

Which is exactly how I said teams were going to try to play the Colts after last week.  Stack the box and dare them to throw it down the field.  I am glad Jacoby took advantage.  Now teams will have to go back to the drawing board.  What was also impressive is that he did it in the second half without TY.  That wasn’t just good for Jacoby but the young receivers too.  

• Like 3

Only concern moving forward is the injury to Hilton, that's Brissett's favorite target and we are already down Funchess. Without those two we have a lot of unproven guys at WR. Hopefully it's nothing long term.

13 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I wish I could have seen the game...could only catch it on the radio in the car...but sounds like JB was great (I did see the Pascal TD highlight...which was quite nice). 

Seems like Reich opened up the playbook a bit more as well...and let JB sling it.

He had too the falcons stacked the box pretty much all game.  Also the line struggled a little more in pass protection than they normally do.  Jacoby was able to offset a lot of it by getting the ball out fast but he was under pressure a lot, especially in the second half.  

Still the way you beat that is to do what the Colts did.  Get the ball out fast and go down the field.

It feels like Campbell could have a break out game soon. He had a couple of great catches. Cain had a big one also but Campbell just feels like he is real close.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brissett completed his first 16 passes and just looked great. It was fun to watch.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time I remember a Colts QB completing that many in a row was Peyton vs the Jags (in Jax) back in like 08. I think he went 17/17 before throwing an incompletion. That's very impressive.

Just now, Pilgrim said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time I remember a Colts QB completing that many in a row was Peyton vs the Jags (in Jax) back in like 08. I think he went 17/17 before throwing an incompletion. That's very impressive.

You are correct. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

It's very impressive...better still...the pass catchers caught all of them. We just aren't used to seeing that in a while. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

BTW the way, is your avatar from Wind Waker?

Nah, its E Honda from Street Fighter.  Wind Waker was a great game tho!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Nah, its E Honda from Street Fighter.  Wind Waker was a great game tho!

Street Fighter 2 on Sega is in the top 10 all-time games for me. I still fire it up from time to time.

• Like 1

Thru two weeks the Falcons WERE the number 1 defense against the pass.

300+ yards

2 TD's

0 Turnovers

118.5 rating

Compketions to 9 different players

Plus the game tying drive week 1

Game winning drive week 2

Game icing drive AND perfectly executed 4 minute drive to close the game today

He is most certainly our QB

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

And fewer interceptions! 

I’ll take today’s Jacoby over Andrew (ducks and hides)

what I mean by that is that Jacoby was getting the ball out fast, taking what the defense gives him rather than forcing things, and was pinpoint on his throws (loften did a great job highlighting that and why it matters on the broadcast).  Those weren’t always Andrew’s strong suits.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

they played running teams, wouldnt read too much into that

45 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

they played running teams, wouldnt read too much into that

We are a running team too. 2nd in the NFL going into it....

It's all good though, just being slightly sarcastic. Ha!

7 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

300+ yards

2 TD's

0 Turnovers

118.5 rating

Compketions to 9 different players

Plus the game tying drive week 1

Game winning drive week 2

Game icing drive AND perfectly executed 4 minute drive to close the game today

He is most certainly our QB

That's a fantastic summary and really shows how quickly Brissett has taken over.  And from the glimpses we get of the clubhouse the team loves him too.  He is definitely one of the primary leaders of this team

14 hours ago, stitches said:

Eh... Why are you asking the question in such a contentious way? Do you think I don't want him to succeed or something? :( On the very first page of this thread I  think I gave him big props for today's performance (and the comment applies for more than just this game). He made some very good plays, but more importantly he looked like he was in control of the offense and move the ball down the field very well. 

I think it is important for us(especially for Ballard and Reich) to critically evaluate Brissett this season because the consequences might span the next half a decade+ of Colts football. This includes the positives and the negatives of his game and it should be a holistic evaluation over the span of the season rather than based on single bad or good games. Every QB in the NFL is capable of having a horrible or a great game on a random Sunday... We should keep gathering impressions and amalgamate them into a more fully informed opinions by the end of the season.

You get my like just for saying the word "amalgamate" haha:hat:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, runthepost said:

Just wait till they put Hill and Hardman on the same side and have a sprint race lol

Shoot imagine  Hill and hardman on one side. Watkins and Robinson  on the other and kelce working the middle. Nobody  is defending  that.

23 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Shoot imagine  Hill and hardman on one side. Watkins and Robinson  on the other and kelce working the middle. Nobody  is defending  that.

In a situation like that, even if you have 3 WR, 1 TE formations with 1 RB, there are 5 OL and if they bring 6, with a spy on Mahomes, they can man up with dime formations with enough speed to defend any RBs going lateral. That is how Belichick flushed Mahomes by bringing 6, with and without stunts in the A gaps, and shut him down in Foxboro for one full half and in KC in the AFCCG for one full half.

In the regular season game, they choked everything underneath by taking Kelce away, so Tyreek Hill went off in the second half once Reid and Mahomes figured that out, and in the AFCCG, the RB in the flat started being left open once they decided to double Hill more along with taking Kelce away, that is when the RBs started catching TD passes for a near comeback. 

But then, it wasn't just Mahomes that was a factor. The Patriots run game with their OL and Michel dominated time of possession (42 to 18 minutes just like the wide right SB that Belichick game planned against Jim Kelly as DC under Parcells where they conceded the run to the Bills, shut down the passing game, and dominated TOP similarly with Giants run game). I hope Mahomes and Andy Reid learnt a thing or two from that.

You get ahead on NE earlier in the game and do not let up, that is the way you beat NE lately. If you go down by 2 scores at any point in time, you are climbing a mountain constantly.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but the announcers kept pointing it out, and I think it's worth mentioning.  Not only was Brissett on fire the first half, ball placement was perfect, allowing his receivers to make plays after the catch.  It was really a thing of beauty watching him carve up that defense.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but the announcers kept pointing it out, and I think it's worth mentioning.  Not only was Brissett on fire the first half, ball placement was perfect, allowing his receivers to make plays after the catch.  It was really a thing of beauty watching him carve up that defense.

Yea, I think during the game he broke some kind of drought on most Colts QB completions in succession for the first half. He was very consistent and looked comfortable. In all of Brissett's interviews, he credited all this with his receivers getting open, but no, Brissett's passes looked beautiful. Brissett deserves a ton of credit.

Love him!

He's done everything right, on and off the field, and it's his time.  I'm happy to See him doing well.   

• Thanks 1

I thought he did real well. Lets just take it day by day and not get to high or to low.

Lotsa ball to be played yet. I was not to worried to begin with . It was just more of the unknown.

That 17 season was an anomaly that he had on a team with an awful o line, being a 2nd yr with little experience,and being thrown into a different system. Totally unfair to judge him from that.

It will be interesting to see how he fairs and the rest of the team against the upper brass teams and defenses in the league. Jacksonville has a good D.

On 9/22/2019 at 2:25 PM, jameszeigler834 said:

We need a legit number 2 WR though its becoming clear its not going to be Cain.

Cain will be fine.... maybe not our #2, but that could very well be Funchess, too.  Reich hasn't shown 1/5 of his cards on his playcalling yet... I imagine Cain and Campbell are working on some stuff which Reich will utilize when our O has more confidence and experience without Luck.  

On 9/22/2019 at 2:26 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Way to early to say that. We probably will have to bring someone in for next week.

I don't think we need to bring anyone in, but Crabtree just became available.