Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 3 impressions: Brissett

GoColts8818

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Carr won't get those next week, JMO. Matt Ryan is very good.

I still think we have a pretty good D. However i think DB wise we could still use an upgrade here or there to be on par with the stronger offensive attacks. Pass rush wont always get home. You still need solid cover men on the backend. Not that our guys are bad, but theres still some match up concerns here or there.

9 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

That's because they play cover 2 , which is designed to limit big plays , corners , safeties playing zone. They had an inconsistent rush today.  The system relies on pass rush heavily.  Good QB  , when dared to string together long drives and first downs eat it alive.  Ryan left a lot of points on the field also. 

That's the problem.  The system relies on pass rush heavily and that is something we don't have on a consistent basis.  They are working on it and hoping some players develop but you never know what we are going to get week to week.  Great QB's like Ryan, Brady, Mahomes will pick us apart.  They will be able to pick up big chunks of yards in a hurry.  That is why I think we were linked to Ramsey.  Having probably the best shutdown CB on your team can help offset the pass rush deficiencies.  He would immediately upgrade our secondary considerably.  Now that we have shown we should be considered serious contenders maybe Ballard might try again now that it appears his asking price might come down.  Real long shot but what the heck.  Iffy pass rush and soft zone is not a good combo IMO. 

• Like 1

Ok. I get that we don't enjoy our fandom in the same way. But the responses after todays game, force me to pull the veil away on the support so far for the Colts starting QB.

First, I can say I was not shocked, but I was saddened by the lack of support for our QB coming out of the gate. Feel free to be a "prove it to me first" kind of fan. Certainly anyone's choice. But I can unequivocally say that the joy from believing first, supporting because of the Shoe on the helmet, creates a deeper appreciation and joy when things go the way one hopes. For many, the best he can do is be adequate. How sad. 

But today, when I saw this:

"Jacoby Brissett became just the 3rd QB in #Colts franchise history with a 115+ passer rating in 2 of the first 3 weeks of a season. Others: Peyton Manning (2009, 2004) and Johnny Unitas (1964)."

And I also witnessed this:

"Jacoby Brissett did something that not even Andrew Luck did during his seven seasons with the Indianapolis Colts. He opened the game a perfect 16-of-16."

Then, to read in many of the comments....it made me realize that....for many, this is not about Jacoby proving to anyone what he is. Because for some fans, he can't. I see posts (revealing to me) that for some, there is no forgiveness (for Manning's departure, Lucks departure, or both), and there is no more true joy in following the team. The future for some contains only opportunities to re-convey their doubts or disappointments, and/or display dogged determination to make the team/coach/player/GM/owner prove beyond a shadow of doubt that they deserve one's support. 

So all I can offer, is a small thought. Every sports moment you experience, has an effect on you. The only one that can decide what that effect is.....is yourself. 

That said, Jacoby was freaking awesome today! That young man is poised, stands tall in the pocket, is surprisingly elusive, and he is exactly the kind of leader I want leading this team. What an incredible job this franchise has done in having a QB ready to step in! Wow. How cool to be a Colts fan.....and we get to keep on seeing great football?

Thank you Jacoby, and I knew you would step up. Adam, I knew that this was not your time to step away. You look good back in the saddle. And special thanks to Mack.....you keep on being the franchise back that you are. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I still think we have a pretty good D. However i think DB wise we could still use an upgrade here or there to be on par with the stronger offensive attacks. Pass rush wont always get home. You still need solid cover men on the backend. Not that our guys are bad, but theres still some match up concerns here or there.

I am little surprised Houston wasn't more of a factor today. He is so quick.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

That's my point, Krunk.  An elite QB executed his way out of several tough situations our D put him in.

Im just thinking ahead to the playoffs assuming we make it. You have to be good enough to surpress some of those 3rd and longs. What you will see at playoff time is Rivers, Mahomes, Brady. Gotta come up with the stop.

5 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Ok. I get that we don't enjoy our fandom in the same way. But the responses after todays game, force me to pull the veil away on the support so far for the Colts starting QB.

First, I can say I was not shocked, but I was saddened by the lack of support for our QB coming out of the gate. Feel free to be a "prove it to me first" kind of fan. Certainly anyone's choice. But I can unequivocally say that the joy from believing first, supporting because of the Shoe on the helmet, creates a deeper appreciation and joy when things go the way one hopes. For many, the best he can do is be adequate. How sad. 

"Jacoby Brissett became just the 3rd QB in #Colts franchise history with a 115+ passer rating in 2 of the first 3 weeks of a season. Others: Peyton Manning (2009, 2004) and Johnny Unitas (1964)."

"Jacoby Brissett did something that not even Andrew Luck did during his seven seasons with the Indianapolis Colts. He opened the game a perfect 16-of-16."

Then, to read in many of the comments....it made me realize that....for many, this is not about Jacoby proving to anyone what he is. Because for some fans, he can't. I see posts (revealing to me) that for some, there is no forgiveness (for Manning's departure, Lucks departure, or both), and there is no more true joy in following the team. The future for some contains only opportunities to re-convey their doubts or disappointments, and/or display dogged determination to make the team/coach/player/GM/owner prove beyond a shadow of doubt that they deserve one's support. 

So all I can offer, is a small thought. Every sports moment you experience, has an effect on you. The only one that can decide what that effect is.....is yourself. 

That said, Jacoby was freaking awesome today! That young man is poised, stands tall in the pocket, is surprisingly elusive, and he is exactly the kind of leader I want leading this team. What an incredible job this franchise has done in having a QB ready to step in! Wow. How cool to be a Colts fan.....and we get to keep on seeing great football?

Thank you Jacoby, and I knew you would step up. Adam, I knew that this was not your time to step away. You look good back in the saddle. And special thanks to Mack.....you keep on being the franchise back that you are. 

If we beat KC that will get everyone on board but man that will be tough. Never know though?? 

This is the graphic that made me pause what I was doing today.  JB rolling up right between Patrick M. and Tom B.  If Obi Wan Jacobi can keep doing this the QB is not our problem.  We should always have a winning chance.

Just keep bringing in the talent through the draft and building a solid all-around team.  Not the unbalanced teams of the past.  Sometimes I think the superstar QBs can cause GMs to lose focus on that.

20190922_154819.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That's the problem.  The system relies on pass rush heavily and that is something we don't have on a consistent basis.  They are working on it and hoping some players develop but you never know what we are going to get week to week.  Great QB's like Ryan, Brady, Mahomes will pick us apart.  They will be able to pick up big chunks of yards in a hurry.  That is why I think we were linked to Ramsey.  Having probably the best shutdown CB on your team can help offset the pass rush deficiencies.  He would immediately upgrade our secondary considerably.  Now that we have shown we should be considered serious contenders maybe Ballard might try again now that it appears his asking price might come down.  Real long shot but what the heck.  Iffy pass rush and soft zone is not a good combo IMO. 

That's why it's not that common anymore.  Most teams either play a hybrid or a lot of press if they have like superior lines and corners (not too many ).  

3 minutes ago, Bleedin Blue said:

This is the graphic that made me pause what I was doing today.  JB rolling up right between Patrick M. and Tom B.  If Obi Wan Jacobi can keep doing this the QB is not our problem.  We should always have a winning chance.

Just keep bringing in the talent through the draft and building a solid all-around team.  Not the unbalanced teams of the past.  Sometimes I think the superstar QBs can cause GMs to lose focus on that.

20190922_154819.jpg

Jacoby might get offensive player of the week. I think Mahomes got it last week.

He should be 3-0. Made what should have been the game winning drive week 1. Did in week 2.  And led the deciding drive week 3.  I would give him an A - so far.  Needs to work on not letting the clock run out and holding onto the ball too long sometimes.  Smith and the right side is being exploited . 

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Im not sure he can. Aren’t there some flags coaches are forced to accept?

I think you are correct That was one that the Refs could have picked up 

Those injuries are brutal for everyone

I still remember the game I was reffing and had a athlete break his arm at my feet

11 minutes ago, Bleedin Blue said:

And that graphic is likely to change after the TB/NY game.  Man that was a great game!  4 TD, two ran in himself and 336 passing yards!

Kid throws a nice ball.  G-Men did well without Saquan.  They still need their OLine to step up and play like they're being payed.  They may not win a lot of games this year, but at least they can figure out if they blew their first round pick by the end of the season.

41 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Good stats, JB is proving himself which is exactly what he should be doing, that's life in the big city!  Exceptional football today!!!!

• Like 1

what is most impressive about this game is they stopped our run game and jacoby was able to put it on his back and eat them up with the passing game. that answered all the questions of people thinking if we ever got the running game stopped we'd be in trouble.  jacoby heard what you were thinking and he threw up the middle finger!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mahagga73 said:

That's because they play cover 2 , which is designed to limit big plays , corners , safeties playing zone. They had an inconsistent rush today.  The system relies on pass rush heavily.  Good QB  , when dared to string together long drives and first downs eat it alive.  Ryan left a lot of points on the field also. 

But man we need a game changing DT.  I would b all for moving up in the draft and grabbing one. This D needs pressure from the interior to become effective. 

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

what is most impressive about this game is they stopped our run game and jacoby was able to put it on his back and eat them up with the passing game. that answered all the questions of people thinking if we ever got the running game stopped we'd be in trouble.  jacoby heard what you were thinking and he threw up the middle finger!

Jacoby desreves an A today and the haters have nothing to comeback with, I mean nothing. He had his 300 Yards, 2 TD's, no INT's game. We won the game too and beat a team with a top 10 QB in the league. I am sipping on a mix drink laughing at the haters homer TheSimpsons GIF by Live What You Love Business Coaching

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stitches said:

I kind of wished we declined that specific penalty. I feel like refs should be allowed discretion for situations like that and should be able to pick up the flag once they realize what's happened. This was such a nonsense call...

Feel terrible for Neal too. He is a player who plays the game with incredible physicality and determination and is fun to watch whenever he is not playing against your team. Hopefully he recovers fully...

I did for a minute, but then it felt like they did the right thing.....take the yards, but be vocal about it later. Hey, we need to build all the momentum we can get right now. Good decision ultimately, by coach.

It would have been a classy thing to do, but if we lose the game, then its gonna be widely criticized. If we were winning big, sure. But the game felt pretty close at that point.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we beat KC that will get everyone on board but man that will be tough. Never know though?? 

kc is ridiculous. they don't have tyreek hill and they still score alot. Demarcus robinson, hardman, watkins, kelce. We wold have to run the ball and keep it away from mahomes and hope the d gets a stop.

• Like 2

There's 2 teams in the league right now that I don't expect us to beat on any given night, the Pats and the Chiefs.  I mean sure, we CAN win, if we execute perfectly and they play sloppily.  it's just not the way to play the odds.

Anyone else, I at least think we can take the field with a fighting chance against