Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 3 impressions: Brissett

GoColts8818

57 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Jacoby Brissett became just the 3rd QB in #Colts franchise history with a 115+ passer rating in 2 of the first 3 weeks of a season. Others: Peyton Manning (2009, 2004) and Johnny Unitas (1964).

Wow...

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I thought we were straight at DB but Ballard may have to make some moves during draft and offseason. We are good for letting up at least 24 against high powered offenses.

We missed Darius big time in the middle 

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

I thought we were straight at DB but Ballard may have to make some moves during draft and offseason. We are good for letting up at least 24 against high powered offenses.

You have to remember they are very good and do that to a lot of teams. Hooked missing the 3rd quarter hurt also. 

We actually did a great job making them use click that one drive.

13 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

I thought that was bogus too. That's not the spirit of the rule, which is more about taunting/celebrating. 

I know I would've been * if they called it on the Colts.

I kind of wished we declined that specific penalty. I feel like refs should be allowed discretion for situations like that and should be able to pick up the flag once they realize what's happened. This was such a nonsense call...

Feel terrible for Neal too. He is a player who plays the game with incredible physicality and determination and is fun to watch whenever he is not playing against your team. Hopefully he recovers fully...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I kind of wished we declined that specific penalty. I feel like refs should be allowed discretion for situations like that and should be able to pick up the flag once they realize what's happened. This was such a be call...

Looking back thank god he didn’t decline it. I can’t remember if we stopped them.

3rd week in a row where it looks like he made good quick decisions then threw the ball accurately.  Can't ask for much more.  In fact, I think he is doing that better than Luck did.

Still would like to see if he can get chunk plays when he needs to, like a 50 second drive for a field goal or TD. 

If he had Julio Jones, Sanu, and Ridley; he'd probably get those chunk plays. 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

3rd week in a row where it looks like he made good quick decisions then threw the ball accurately.  Can't ask for much more.  In fact, I think he is doing that better than Luck did.

Still would like to see if he can get chunk plays when he needs to, like a 50 second drive for a field goal or TD. 

If he had Julio Jones, Sanu, and Ridley; he'd probably get those chunk plays. 

He had a bunch of chunk plays today.

24 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

I am so impressed.  This is the gane I was looking for. No, he's not the marquis guy.

Because he's the QB Indy deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll play him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our QB. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A blue knight.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Just now, compuls1v3 said:

You know, with the strength of schedule we've had these past 3 weeks, most people, including myself, didn't think we'd be very close to 3-0, even before Brissett. I'm still on the Brissett train. He had a excellent game today.

The strength of schedule actually is a little easier after that KC game. We play a lot of bad QB.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The strength of schedule actually is a little easier after that KC game. We play a lot of bad QB.

If we get to 3-1 and lose to KC it is not the end of the world, I agree. We had to win today to get people's interest and we did :thmup:. Teams that start 2-1 make the playoffs 60% of the time since 1990 if anyone is wondering. At 3-1 it is 71%. I like those odds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

You know, with the strength of schedule we've had these past 3 weeks, most people, including myself, didn't think we'd be very close to 3-0, even before Brissett was leading our team.  I'm still on the Brissett train. He had a excellent game today.

That might be the toughest 3 week stretch all season and we came out of it looking triumphant.

3 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Ey, stitches old buddy, gotta ask, did Brissett make enough veteran caliber throws for you today?  

Eh... Why are you asking the question in such a contentious way? Do you think I don't want him to succeed or something? :( On the very first page of this thread I  think I gave him big props for today's performance (and the comment applies for more than just this game). He made some very good plays, but more importantly he looked like he was in control of the offense and move the ball down the field very well. 

I think it is important for us(especially for Ballard and Reich) to critically evaluate Brissett this season because the consequences might span the next half a decade+ of Colts football. This includes the positives and the negatives of his game and it should be a holistic evaluation over the span of the season rather than based on single bad or good games. Every QB in the NFL is capable of having a horrible or a great game on a random Sunday... We should keep gathering impressions and amalgamate them into a more fully informed opinions by the end of the season.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, krunk said:

That's because they play cover 2 , which is designed to limit big plays , corners , safeties playing zone. They had an inconsistent rush today.  The system relies on pass rush heavily.  Good QB  , when dared to string together long drives and first downs eat it alive.  Ryan left a lot of points on the field also. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Eh... Why are you asking the question in such a contentious way? Do you think I don't want him to succeed or something? :( On the very first page of this thread I  think I gave him big props for today's performance (and the comment applies for more than just this game). He made some very good plays, but more importantly he looked like he was in control of the offense and move the ball down the field very well. 

I think it is important for us(especially for Ballard and Reich) to critically evaluate Brissett this season because the consequences might span the next half a decade+ of Colts football. This includes the positives and the negatives of his game and it should be a holistic evaluation over the span of the season rather than based on single bad or good games. Every QB in the NFL is capable of having a horrible or a great game on a random Sunday... We should keep gathering impressions and amalgamate them into a more fully informed opinions by the end of the season.

Sorry didn't mean it to be contentious, just a bit "teasy"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

It is a week to week thing, I agree. We should spank Oakland next week so next week will show me more. TY may be out but we still should beat that team. Just have to stay focused.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Easily JBs best game as a Colt    Drawing Atl offsides catching them with 12 on the field.   Crisp passing.  No really bad throws.  Great fakes on the RPOs

Very good game.    

Catching 12 on the field was on Kelly.  He was calling JB to line up quickly.  Not even sure JB saw it.

3 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

That's because they play cover 2 , which is designed to limit big plays , corners , safeties playing zone. They had an inconsistent rush today.  The system relies on pass rush heavily.  Good QB  , when dared to string together long drives and first downs eat it alive.  

Still it was concerning how many times we were giving up 3rd and long.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Still it was concerning how many times we were giving up 3rd and long.

The point of cover 2 is to get third and longs because they're hard to execute.

Matt Ryan is an elite QB because he's capable of executing hard plays.

Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the opponent

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

The point of cover 2 is to get third and longs because they're hard to execute.

Matt Ryan is an elite QB because he's capable of executing hard plays.

Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the opponent

You should not be consistently beat on 3rd and long even in zone.