Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Malik Hooker

BProland85

10 hours ago, fahlman said:

So when I'm watching the game and Coach Reich is clearly on the sidelines also watching the game you mean to tell me he's not really watching the game too? What's he doing? He can't keep track of 11 players with big numbers on the back of their jerseys? He doesn't notice #29, his starting safety, is missing for a series or two?

I've never coached football, but I did play and coach baseball and I was aware of which 9 players were on the field. Maybe 11 players, an extra 2, is just too many to keep track of? Not enough fingers?

He never claimed, at least that I know of, that he didn't know Hooker was not in the game, only that he did not know the reason.  And yes, as a HC he's not going to know the reason until that player will not be playing at all and then he is probably informed.

17 hours ago, fahlman said:

So we're all watching the game and notice that Hooker is not playing, but the Head Coach is oblivious to his starting safety not being on the field?

15 hours ago, fahlman said:

So when I'm watching the game and Coach Reich is clearly on the sidelines also watching the game you mean to tell me he's not really watching the game too? What's he doing? He can't keep track of 11 players with big numbers on the back of their jerseys? He doesn't notice #29, his starting safety, is missing for a series or two?

I've never coached football, but I did play and coach baseball and I was aware of which 9 players were on the field. Maybe 11 players, an extra 2, is just too many to keep track of? Not enough fingers?

If it were that easy (as baseball) , you'd never have just ten men on the field and a play run, or 12 men on the field for a penalty. Truth is, players check themselves in and out of the game often (try that in baseball), while they also sometimes slip away to see the ATC for a nagging pain (or grab a drink, get a breather on the bench, etc..) and other times miss his call for a sub package rotation, or ST assignment, etc. Hopefully, Asst. coaches watch the tap outs and change overs because the OC or DC has to concentrate on down/distance and the next play call before the headsets go dead (I think when play clock reaches 15 seconds?).

Yes, I can see Hooker might head over to the Athletic Trainer or Doc after a play and have something looked at.  And someone (maybe an Asst coach) tell Eberflus that Malik has checked out. And Matt substitutes, then goes on with play calling, etc. All without the HC immediately noticing or being told what is transpiring.

Head coaches apparently have a ton of things going on (especially those that double as their own OC or DC) and a lot of chatter in the headsets while they strategize the game situation.  I've been manager of a coed softball team, and was low man on totem pole asst. coach on a pee wee football squad.  Those football head coaches and his direct assistants always had tons going on while trying their best in synchro coordination. Nothing like my experience as softball manager.

12 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

He never claimed, at least that I know of, that he didn't know Hooker was not in the game, only that he did not know the reason.

"Reich mentioned just wanting to rotate things at safety" doesn't sound like he didn't know. It sounds like he gave a very specific reason (a known false one) why Hooker was not in the game.

1 hour ago, fahlman said:
"Reich mentioned just wanting to rotate things at safety" doesn't sound like he didn't know. It sounds like he gave a very specific reason (a known false one) why Hooker was not in the game.

Well, when, Exactly, did Bowen pose the question? And it is Bowen that makes the claim that it didn't 'sound' like Reich didn't know? No inquiry of the HC himself?

Sounds to me like Reich wasn't fully aware, and just defending his DC's personnel decisions.

10 hours ago, fahlman said:

You are really grasping at straws.  That is about as generic as an answer the coach can give.  It was probably in the game plan to work Khari into the game so when a reporter asked wy Hooker wasn't in there he gave the answer because it was part of the plan.

12 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

It was probably in the game plan to work Khari into the game.

You think it was the game plan to work a fourth round, rookie safety in to a highly contested game in place of last years first round draft pick, who was considered by many to be the best Safety in the draft, who just happened to have suffered a knee injury? Coincidence? I think not!

2 hours ago, fahlman said:

Like he wasn't aware Luck was considering retirement while he told us Luck would be back any day now. It's just more lies from the leaders of the Colts organization.

Luck himself said he made the retirement decision 2 weeks before it leaked. Everyone thought he'd be back, likely even those that felt he might be considering retiring (if there were any).  Why does Luck go through so much rehab, only to hang it up just as he was nearing readiness if he was going to do it all along?