Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RB Jordan Wilkins

Rackeen305

I totally understand the role that RB Hines can play especially as a receiver. However, I believe the RB that will play a major role is in fact Jordan Wilkins. He played phenomenal against Titans  (5 carries for 82) and has the ability to fall forward upon contact. And speaking in general, Jordan Wilkins is a sound RB.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

It seems like every time he's carried the ball he does something positive... last year, and this.

Yet since Wilkins is a backup, (and perhaps due to injuries?) his overall carries have been limited.

Fumbles was the issue last year.    He was injured in training camp this year

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

I totally understand the role that RB Hines can play especially as a receiver. However, I believe the RB that will play a major role is in fact Jordan Wilkins. He played phenomenal against Titans  (5 carries for 82) and has the ability to fall forward upon contact. And speaking in general, Jordan Wilkins is a sound RB.

Yeah...I would rather have a healthy Wilkins run the ball than Hines.

Hines seems like more of a pass and run guy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

My question is, do they pick and scheme Wilkins touches because his ypc is really good?

I believe he leads the nfl in YPC. Even if you take the big runs out it’s still like 4.8. I think a lot of it is he comes in with fresh legs. I hope they start using him more so we don’t run Mack into the ground.

• Like 2

He's a Henry style back if there's a hole and he can build up his speed he's very hard to bring down and is faster than expected. Sometimes since he doest get many touches a game when he comes in it's almost like DCs don't account for him and Reich knows when to dial plays up for him.

14 minutes ago, ty4atd said:

He's a Henry style back if there's a hole and he can build up his speed he's very hard to bring down and is faster than expected. Sometimes since he doest get many touches a game when he comes in it's almost like DCs don't account for him and Reich knows when to dial plays up for him.

Fresh legs also make a big difference when defenses are tired.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

He’s not bad. I think the line does most of the work for him though. Not as shifty as Mack.

I feel like his patience is better than Mack’s as he waits to slip through an open hole in the defense. 

I still hope Ballard adds another talented RB in 2020. Keshawn Vaughn from Vandy in the 4th round would be nice!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

I feel like his patience is better than Mack’s as he waits to slip through an open hole in the defense. 

I still hope Ballard adds another talented RB in 2020. Keshawn Vaughn from Vandy in the 4th round would be nice!

Mack's patience through 2 weeks compared to last season is much improved, in my opinion. He's learning to trust this offensive line's run blocking, and hits an opening hard when it is there. 

I agree on 2020 draft. Tons of talent there to not take somebody in the first 4 rounds. Watching ND-UGA game now and Wisc-Mich earlier, Swift from UGA and Taylor from Wisconsin are the full package. Great runningbacks. 

• Like 1

I've said it since we drafted them both, Wilkins is the better pure RB. Hines has his place as a receiver and able to work the ball in space (although we haven't been able to see much of the latter). But in terms of pure running ability, it's Wilkins.

I hope he continues to get most of the carries behind Mack this season.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 3:19 PM, Rackeen305 said:

He had one big run for 50+ so that puts him at 32 for the other 4 carries which at 8ypc makes him awesome. 

But it ain ain’t the norm.    If he is the starter this weekend we are in Trouble 

hes a good back up, he likes to make one move then be off to the races.  works well against tired defenses.  hasnt been one to break tackles or run for tough yardage, at least not yet

i would not say we are set and shouldnt draft a back because of anyone we have now though.  we dont really have glaring holes with this team but still need better players where we can get them

14 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think it’s way to early to say if we need another RB next year. Wilkins is only in his second season. Why draft someone in the third or fourth round when we drafted Wilkins last year I think in the fifth. 

Because there could be serious value in the 4th round. Like early 2nd round grade runningbacks. It's deep. And we have gone after deep classes in the past, because there is value there. A 4th rounder in next years class could make a hell of a 1-2 punch with Mack and have Wilkins as depth. I like what I see out of Wilkins so far, but you have to remember that while he's a class behind Marlon Mack, he's already 25 years old compared to Mack at 23.

On 9/21/2019 at 9:09 PM, BProland85 said:

Well Wilkins usually just hits the open hole and goes. Mack waits for his blocks to be set up and will find the small creases in the defense. Wilkins is a 1 cut guy. 

But I agree about the RB situation. Swift and Taylor might go high. We need to add another back in the draft.