Indianapolis Colts

I know this is only his 2nd game I think but wow dude is playing really impressive. IF he really is this good the Jags will be a tough out all year.

• Like 2

Perspective. He scored 12 points last week is it. He got a short field tonight and got lucky on a couple jump balls. Short week for titans on the road is hard.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Perspective. He scored 12 points last week is it. He got a short field tonight and got lucky on a couple jump balls. Short week for titans on the road is hard.

I mean yeah all true but you can't deny that he is making some damn good throws. He passes the eye test for me. Albeit its only 2 games, no idea if he can keep it up. But he looks pretty dang solid so far.

I'm with Chloe on this one. Seems every big completion was his receiver making a play. Reminds me of Flacco throwing jump balls all the way to a SB win, a huge contract, and then years of mediocrity.

• Like 2

Throwing it up so that the WR can get it is a crapload more than what the last fulltime quarterback was doing so don’t sell that short.

• Like 1

He is accurate, has good pocket presence and in 2 games hasn’t made a stupid mistake yet that will come because he is a rookie.

think the Jags got a steal in the 6th round.

Very Baker Mayfield like.  In size and personality. Interesting ties too. Mazyfield played under Kliff Kingsbury and Lincoln Riley - both QB’s under Mike Leach.  Mike Leach recruited Minshew (after poor season at East Carolina) to Washington State and lead the nation in passing, he did.

My only complaint is the lack of QB experience at a high level.  Teams will get tape on Gardner and find ways to limit him. Right now he’s unknown, and apparently unstoppable.  (Only half joking).

Minshew was prepared to be QB3 at Alabama when Leach called him. Minshew was planning on going to Alabama because he has coaching aspirations after his playing days, and Saban was going to be his coaching college. Coaching career delayed...

A slightly less experienced Baker Mayfield in round 6?  Could be a good catch by the Jags after so many high picks failed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Excuses those were elite throws normally rookies cant take advantage of short fields he was pretty good last night.

10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Very Baker Mayfield like.  In size and personality. Interesting ties too. Mazyfield played under Kliff Kingsbury and Lincoln Riley - both QB’s under Mike Leach.  Mike Leach recruited Minshew (after poor season at East Carolina) to Washington State and lead the nation in passing, he did.

My only complaint is the lack of QB experience at a high level.  Teams will get tape on Gardner and find ways to limit him. Right now he’s unknown, and apparently unstoppable.  (Only half joking).

Minshew was prepared to be QB3 at Alabama when Leach called him. Minshew was planning on going to Alabama because he has coaching aspirations after his playing days, and Saban was going to be his coaching college. Coaching career delayed...

A slightly less experienced Baker Mayfield in round 6?  Could be a good catch by the Jags after so many high picks failed.

For draft purposes,  I called Minshew a very, VERY poor man’s Baker Mayfield.

Roughly the same height and weight and similar outgoing personality that teammates reportedly really like.  

But Minshew’s arm is not close to Mayfield’s.  And Baker is also much more athletic.   I think there’s good value for Minchew in the 6th round.  But I wouldn’t expect Mayfield-like results from him.    I see quality backup, not quality starter.   

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

For draft purposes,  I called Minshew a very, VERY poor man’s Baker Mayfield.

i missed that, but well done.  I called him "Very Baker Mayfield like.  In size and personality."

Roughly the same height and weight and similar outgoing personality that teammates reportedly really like.  

Yes, indeed.

But Minshew’s arm is not close to Mayfield’s.  And Baker is also much more athletic.   I think there’s good value for Minchew in the 6th round.  But I wouldn’t expect Mayfield-like results from him.    I see quality backup, not quality starter.  

I've heard Leach calling out the scouts on his guy, though...

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/mike_leach_points_out_how_poorly_nfl_scouts_did_with_qb_gardner_minshew/s1_127_30044741

And it still cracks me up he called up Minshew, who was slated to be QB3 at Alabama, and said "Hey, do you want to hold a clipboard at Alabama, or lead the Nation in passing and play at Washington State?"

Classic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

i missed that, but well done.  I called him "Very Baker Mayfield like.  In size and personality."

Yes, indeed.

I've heard Leach calling out the scouts on his guy, though...

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/mike_leach_points_out_how_poorly_nfl_scouts_did_with_qb_gardner_minshew/s1_127_30044741

And it still cracks me up he called up Minshew, who was slated to be QB3 at Alabama, and said "Hey, do you want to hold a clipboard at Alabama, or lead the Nation in passing and play at Washington State?"

Classic.

Yes,   that is classic Leach, who can be a real quote machine when he's in the mood!

When Minshew was in the draft eval process,  most the scouts were not all that kind to him.   I confess to being a little surprised.    I think he's an interesting kid.

But some things just aren't as obvious.

I didn't see this coming from Pat Mahomes,  and I didn't see this coming from Dak Prescott.   Not this much.   Exceeded my wildest expectations.     There's a reason why most think QB is the hardest position to evaluate in all of sports.    Because it is!

When Minshew was heading off to college, he sat his father down and told him, "You're the man of the house now."

• Haha 2

Mahomes was spectacular for an entire season, and he's picked up where he left off. That's legit. Prescott has been great this year, but it's two games, vs Giants and Redskins. I'll wait. Minshew has been okay.

Look at Mayfield. After half a season he was hailed as the next great thing. Not so much at the moment. Everyone is so quick to crown these guys stars or "franchise" QB's with such a small sample size.

Franchise QB

Mahomes = yes, Prescott = maybe, Mayfield = incomplete, Minshew = not likely.

I think you generally have an idea on a QB after year 3, if he has been in the same/similar system.