Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is anyone else as excited as I am to finally get away from the Tampa-2 4-3 and move to a 3-4 scheme?

A lot of people are concerned about Freeney and how he fits into this, but take a look at this tweet from Robert Mathis yesterday.

6984447433_46521595a9_z.jpg

I know Mathis has already spoken to how excited he was about playing LOLB and I know there were reports that Freeney was not willing to stand up as an ROLB, but it certainly sounds like he might have come around.

Mathis, Freeney, Redding and either Jamaal Anderson or a 2012 draft pick on the same field could really tear things up.

iI'm happy about it because i believe that have a 3-4,4-3 hybrid mix will help our run Defense a lot more and be able to get more atheletes on the field in the 3-4 and if we could pick someon up like Houston got with their rookie DE it would help our defense a huge amount.

I am stoked about switching to 3/4. If any of you were on direct you would know I was so sick of the Tampa 2. It was like,lets have everyone run down our throats. I hated it. We have defensive players who can be better then that. I am so glad we hired a defensive minded coach. He wants to focus on stopping the run, thank god! I think maybe we will finally have a defense that puts fear into the quarterback! I love Mathis and Freeney and feel like they will just be even better with this new scheme. I love everything Pagano has said he wants to do! I can't wait for the new season. The Ravens defensive players speak so well of him and I just trust he knows what he is doing. Something about the man makes me believe he is going to get it done. I can't wait til next season, I'm so excited, I could go on all day long. Im pumped!

I have said this for 2 years...the top defenses in the league are almost all 3-4. I am stoked that we might actually have a defense. If Luck can be even 80% of what Manning is/was, we will have a good offense to go with it.

Its gonna be exciting, I'm wondering what they are gonna do with Nevis.... he's gonna be a good player. Much better than any DT the colts have

He will be moved to DE. Wouldnt be surprised if he gets that starting job with Redding. For a big man Nevis was an excellent pass rusher. 2ND rated pass rushing DT last year in college. I can def see him playing DE In this scheme

I know there were reports that Freeney was not willing to stand up as an ROLB

I have honestly never seen one legitimate report quoting Free or someone from his Family saying that.

Mathis, Freeney, Redding and Jamaal Anderson on the same field could really tear things up.

Put Angerer in the Middle and you're right, it sounds awfully fun to watch...on paper. We'll see.

I have honestly never seen one legitimate report quoting Free or someone from his Family saying that.

Put Angerer in the Middle and you're right, it sounds awfully fun to watch...on paper. We'll see.

Agreed. The only "source" was his buddy Keith Bullock saying that Freeney told him while on vacation that he wasn't standing up in a 3-4. A lot of heresay if you ask me. I think we can look forward to a solid defensive front.

at this point Im just glad we are gonna be changing from that silly tampa 2 4-3 crap, we never had the players for that sort of defense, to small, also I hope colts pick up a physical corner and bigger defensive tackles, but Im sayin they are done in Free Agency and I really think they should be, save some for the draft, unless they have a an idea what they are gonna do with freeny

Nevis probably will compete with Maola for RDE. Maola is taller with longer ars to block passing lanes. Both have quick first steps off the ball. We still need to finish this defense with a NT and CB.

Is anyone else as excited as I am to finally get away from the Tampa-2 4-3 and move to a 3-4 scheme?

A lot of people are concerned about Freeney and how he fits into this, but take a look at this tweet from Robert Mathis yesterday.

6984447433_46521595a9_z.jpg

I know Mathis has already spoken to how excited he was about playing LOLB and I know there were reports that Freeney was not willing to stand up as an ROLB, but it certainly sounds like he might have come around.

Mathis, Freeney, Redding and either Jamaal Anderson or a 2012 draft pick on the same field could really tear things up.

THRILLED beyond belief, I can't wait! Losing Manning is a bummer for sure,but getting to watch this what I think will be a destructive defense actually busting people in the mouth is going to make up for some of that Manning sting!Go Colts and develop quick Luck.

THRILLED beyond belief, I can't wait! Losing Manning is a bummer for sure,but getting to watch this what I think will be a destructive defense actually busting people in the mouth is going to make up for some of that Manning sting!Go Colts and develop quick Luck.

When we play the Packers and Patriots (even Lions) that spread you out, that is when we will see how the D can really hold up vs good passing teams.

When we play the Packers and Patriots (even Lions) that spread you out, that is when we will see how the D can really hold up vs good passing teams.

Very true. But for the most part, looking at the schedule...a lot of Run-based teams. As long as we can finally stop Arian Foster...i'll consider it a success.

Heck yeah! I am so over getting run over. I wanna see us smash some people! There is no love it button, didn't think like was enough for this comment!

I'm not really worried about the pass rush. I think that is the one thing our defense has actually been able to do in the past. It will take some time I'm sure to adjust to a new scheme. Once they get gellin though I think it could be pretty fantastic.

Believe the key is that this will be a hybrid.. meaning different packages on the field at different times (something we haven't seen a lot of here over the past decade or so)... Which means Freeney playing certain snaps, almost like he did this year, where he played fewer run downs. I can't imagine a defensive coach like Pagano/Manusky not wanting to have an option like Freeney to package, scheme and scare the heck out of the other teams QB.

No complaints about Tampa 2, won a lot of games- got to 2 SB's, but new coach, time for something new.

Thanks but ???

"I don’t know if that’s his answer" and "...any indication I get, he plans on being a Colt this football season" and "but we haven’t really talked too much about that."

Sounds more like Bullock was popping off (like dummies do).

I do not know enough about Free's game to know if he has the skill set needed to be an OLB so for me personally there is a concern. But unless I hear someone from his camp say something definitive, I'm assuming he is good to go.

Thanks but ???

"I don’t know if that’s his answer" and "...any indication I get, he plans on being a Colt this football season" and "but we haven’t really talked too much about that."

Sounds more like Bullock was popping off (like dummies do).

I do not know enough about Free's game to know if he has the skill set needed to be an OLB so for me personally there is a concern. But unless I hear someone from his camp say something definitive, I'm assuming he is good to go.

yeah don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it was a reliable source, just that it was mentioned. But I feel the same way, I think Freeney will be fine as an OLB, I don't believe they'll cut him for cap room or anything like that.

yeah don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it was a reliable source, just that it was mentioned. But I feel the same way, I think Freeney will be fine as an OLB, I don't believe they'll cut him for cap room or anything like that.

Yeah, I feel you.

If Free & Mathis can make the transition and maintain their speed, we'll be further along than I expected we could be. Excited/Petrified

He will be moved to DE. Wouldnt be surprised if he gets that starting job with Redding. For a big man Nevis was an excellent pass rusher. 2ND rated pass rushing DT last year in college. I can def see him playing DE In this scheme

Yea its definitely gonna be knteresting

I'm not sure Freeney can handle the coverage roles as an OLB. Trade him and lets get on with the revamping of this Defense

If anything, Freeney will be like a Mario Williams type of OLB with Freeney rushing the QB on all downs.

I don't think we will get value we want for him if we trade him.

Might as well play him and see what happens.

How Many defensive ends do you keep in a 3-4 ? Six?

How many OLBs...eight ?

Freeney could be a situational player...2nd and 3rd downs.

Most teams throw the ball 30-40 times anyway....

I cant see Dwight Freeney with pass coverage responsibilities...That's the problem.

He'd have to be a situational end, right?

Switching to a 3-4 defense is exciting stuff. It's extremely difficult to predict who adapts well to the position and may take a couple of years. Being patient would be a good idea... although most NFL fans don't do patience well in my experience.

A member over on our board created a fairly exhaustive post introducing some of the basics of the defense and theorizing how the Redskins roster would adapt during a year with essentially no free agency (2010 offseason was when everyone and their mother were RFAs). I'd strongly recommend reading it if you have some time. You might learn something about the 3-4 and/or how some teams have done the switch.

[Link]

How Many defensive ends do you keep in a 3-4 ? Six?

How many OLBs...eight ?

I cant see Dwight Freeney with pass coverage responsibilities...That's the problem.

He'd have to be a situational end, right?

You keep a minimum of two at every position and stock extra depth according to where you think you'll need it, what talent you have available, and what you need to field your special teams. Two NTs, five or six DEs, nine or ten total LBs split fairly evenly between ILB and OLB, and 9 total DBs is a rough approximation of what you might expect.

If you have an OLB who is extremely limited in pass coverage then you obviously try not to drop him into coverage very often. Wade Phillips is particularly notorious for running 4-3 like 3-4 schemes where one of his OLBs is almost exclusively a weak side pass-rusher (see: Shawne Merriman, DeMarcus Ware, and Mario Williams). Pagano could easily do something similar.