Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nyheim Hines should play a big factor vs the Falcons

chad72

I always felt that getting those Falcons' LBs in space was well exploited in the SB by the Patriots with James White. The Falcons LBs and safeties are good at clogging the middle for slot pass catchers, so getting your RBs in space for catches and YAC will be key.

Also, our outside wide outs running comeback routes will get us key completions to move the chains because their safeties roll well to prevent deep balls but give up completions underneath due to the way Dan Quinn's defensive system works. 

Have to be able to run the ball to control tempo at game, goes without saying but holding the ball trying to hit someone in the middle might be tough/disastrous because how well they clog the middle, look outside the numbers for RBs and WRs in this game. They mostly rush 4, tackle well and play good coverage. 

Thoughts???

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I always felt that getting those Falcons' LBs in space was well exploited in the SB by the Patriots with James White. The Falcons LBs and safeties are good at clogging the middle for slot pass catchers, so getting your RBs in space for catches and YAC will be key.

Also, our outside wide outs running comeback routes will get us key completions to move the chains because their safeties roll well to prevent deep balls but give up completions underneath due to the way Dan Quinn's defensive system works. 

Have to be able to run the ball to control tempo at game, goes without saying but holding the ball trying to hit someone in the middle might be tough/disastrous because how well they clog the middle, look outside the numbers for RBs and WRs in this game. They mostly rush 4, tackle well and play good coverage. 

Thoughts???

Eating clock & keeping that Falcons offense on the sideline will be crucial, so you're probably onto something here. I could see them working that gameplan in the first half then going to a more traditional rushing attack in the 2nd once those LBs back off the LOS a bit.

I feel that a heavily run-oriented offense was always the plan for these early season games.  The OL worked out so well last year, we think we can be that kind of line that just enforces its will and is dominating by the 4th quarter.  It also serves the purpose of letting Brissett get his legs under him and build some confidence.  I think that as the weeks go on he’ll throw more (and farther downfield) and we’ll be the kind of offense that can take whatever the defense gives us...

• Like 5

The Super Bowl from 2017??? Irrelevan.

I'd look more at what they've done this season, and focus more on what the Colts want to do (control the clock). The Vikings ran all over Atlanta, and didn't really get the screen game going (they may clog the middle but Cook got his carries and he got to the edges which Mack does well). I think that's precisely what Frank Reich will try to do. If the gameplay isn't run heavy then I'm thinking the TY and Ebron are going to get a LOT of work and yards. Either way, I doubt this is the week Hines sees heavy involvement in the offense.

I usually like to defer the ball at the coin toss, but it would be nice to get a TD right off the bat against a team like the Falcons.

Considering it will be Julio Jones, Sanu, and Calvin Ridley vs Moore, Wilson, and Rock it might turn into a shootout(or at least them shooting us up, we'll just have to keep up) and I don't know if Obi Wan Jacoby is going to be able to handle having to score every drive.

Take what the defense gives you.  If the Falcons see the Colts' running success and come prepared to stack against the run, abuse them along the sidelines with screens and checkdowns.  If they go cover zero or cheat up with their safeties, make it rain.  If they then start to drop back and play the pass, give them a bloody nose up the middle.

Stay agile, don't get locked into 1 way of doing things or set target quotas for your players.  If you can take what the defense is giving you and adapt quickly to their adjustments, you will win football games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Now if they could just run a successful screen, or actually to throw to RB's out of the backfield. 

Have we even attempted a screen yet this year?  Luck wasn't good at it and I'm not sure I hold a lot of confidence in JB throwing one, though he may be able to.

19 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Have we even attempted a screen yet this year?  Luck wasn't good at it and I'm not sure I hold a lot of confidence in JB throwing one, though he may be able to.

Hines needs at least 5-8 touches a game. Throwing him a couple screens, could go along way. I’m expecting and waiting for Hines to have one of those take it to the house plays. He reminds a little of Dave Meggett. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I hope we have a snow game this year.  We will run all over them!

Is there anything in the NFL rule book that outlaws the use of snow-making machines? Just get some of them for LOS, turn off the heat, and leave the roof open after Halloween. Two or three feet of good packed powder should do the trick.

23 hours ago, chad72 said:

Thoughts???

I think Hines should be more involved, especially with mack nursing an injury.  Hines is not as elusive as I would have expected but he is the Colts hardest runner and he doesn't go down as easily as Wilkins.  But Wilkins has better vision and better burst.

I think your idea has some merit.  I think the key to this game will be patience, the Falcons are not going to allow many things deep, they like to keep everything in front, so the running game and check downs to the RBs are a big part of patience.  On the flip side, the offense has to be ready to take the shot downfield when it presents itself.  With Hilton, Cain, Campbell and Ebron the Colts have multiple options to flood a zone yet still send someone deep.  Personally I think that is going to come off a PA from the power run left.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HarryTheCat said:

Is there anything in the NFL rule book that outlaws the use of snow-making machines? Just get some of them for LOS, turn off the heat, and leave the roof open after Halloween. Two or three feet of good packed powder should do the trick.

anything against the running back attaching a sled harness on nelson and following him into the endzone on each handoff?  

• Like 1

Now that Williams is back to FP on the injury report, I hope we don't see Hines run it alot. I'd rather they use situation-ally in the running game (not out of necessity), and more in the passing game. I think we'll see Wilkins and Williams share the load if Williams is truly back. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Falcons  r a light team on D.  They r undersized at every position on D.  Get ready for smash mouth football from a dome team...Did I just say that bout the Colts hahah??? 

I love the Colts going smash mouth.  Look out league, we're not a finesse team anymore!  Haha!

This is a look from them we haven't seen in years and it was badly needed.  I was sick of our boys getting physically abused on the field.  Reich came in and fixed that, and now we're the team punishing opponents.  It's so fun to watch.

10 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

I love the Colts going smash mouth.  Look out league, we're not a finesse team anymore!  Haha!

This is a look from them we haven't seen in years and it was badly needed.  I was sick of our boys getting physically abused on the field.  Reich came in and fixed that, and now we're the team punishing opponents.  It's so fun to watch.

We r also light on D, so look to this offense play this style most of the year.

Mack is questionable for Sunday, so maybe Hines gets to shine this game, in addition to Wilkins. We really need to find a way to get those two firing on all cylinders. Both Hines and Wilkins have massive potential, just think what kind of three-headed monster we could have with them and Mack.

We need more screen-type stuff with Hines, he seems to excel with quick movements and making guys miss, as well as catching out of the backfield, and we need to establish Jordan Wilkins as a downhill bruiser-type runner.

I think we have Mack almost at his ceiling (which is much higher than I ever believed it was), now we need to develop Hines and Wilkins.

Just imagine, Mack leading the charge with Hines running in exotic sets while Wilkins crushes downhill for tough gains, while Doyle, Ebron, MAC, TY, Cain, Funchess, Paris, and Fountain speed around the field, all while JB stays upright behind our great OL.

It may be a pipe dream, but if it came to fruition this offense would be literally unstoppable.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

He showed some nice wiggle out there, that play where he dove for the first down. Really nice to see the physicality as well. 

27 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Well, Hines definitely got more involved in this game than before and played a factor. Plus, we had comeback routes from WRs. They did more of that in the first half and not so much in the second half once TY went down and they had the big lead.

And because of Hines use, that lead to Pascal's first TD.  2 defenders followed Hines to the flat and left Pascal wide open.  Brissett and the Colts showed good patience and they were ready to take the shots down field when they presented themselves.

You have set a precedence now Chad, you start a thread, the Colts follow your suggestion and it works.  Now, this week Chad, you need to start a thread about the D playing a game for 4 quarters instead of looking very good one half and like a bunch of first year pop Warner players the other half.