Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis on why he retired, and what’s he’s up to now.

HOZER

Loved the way he played against Brady.  Especially that night we played Denver.

Good article.  It seems like he had his first groin surgery the summer before he was traded by MIA to the Colts.  Interesting. 

Appears he was friends with Pagano, but CP couldn't muster up telling him he was benched, as another coach told him.

• Like 3

Should have finished the game.  That is not too much to ask.

My wife has a job where if she decided to quit in the middle of her shift, she could go to prison.  It wasn't too much to ask that he finish his shift there so to speak.  

That said I'm glad he's happy and all.  And this article serves as a strong reminder that the NFL you get compensated to go out there and let your body be destroyed for the sake of entertainment.  

19 hours ago, DrColtsFan said:

Interesting to read his perception of Pagano’s leadership weakness when it came time to bench him. 

Yeah, if Chuck punked out like that with a player he "loved" texted daily, and attended the foreign wedding of.... Imagine how weak * he was leadership wise with guys he wasn't so close with....

I guess there is something to be said for finishing the game & fulfilling your obligations even in Buffalo. Sometimes, you just know though when you've reached the end of the line & can't do what you've been doing anymore. 

Was it the best way to handle the situation? No. What's done is done. I'm just glad Davis is in a good space mentally. You can't put a price on true contentment. Nice. 

• Like 2

On 9/19/2019 at 11:39 AM, Valpo2004 said:

My wife has a job where if she decided to quit in the middle of her shift, she could go to prison. 

Whoa. Really? I believe you & all V2004, but that sounds like a steep price to pay indeed. I get perhaps not getting say a glowing letter of recommendation from your boss, but the slammer for missing a shift sounds a tad extreme.  Okay technically, you said not finishing her shift to be accurate. 

Not doubting you my friend. Just raising an eyebrow that's all. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Whoa. Really? I believe you & all V2004, but that sounds like a steep price to pay indeed. I get perhaps not getting say a glowing letter of recommendation from your boss, but the slammer for missing a shift sounds a tad extreme.  Okay technically, you said not finishing her shift to be accurate. 

Not doubting you my friend. Just raising an eyebrow that's all. 

Her job is taking care of developmentally disabled adults in a group home settings.  Many times she's the only person at the home.

Quitting and leaving the home before a replacement arrived would be neglect of a dependent which is a felony even if no one gets hurt.  If someone is hurt or killed it's an even worse felony.  Her quitting her shift would be the same as if I just decided to walk out of my house leaving my small children there alone.  

Most other people including myself could quit in the middle of their shift without legal problems but for people in her line of work it's absolutely necessary that they at least stay until someone replaces them.  Lives depend upon it.  In cases where that person for some reason does not or can not show up she's mandated by law to remain there until someone arrives to replace her.  That said in those situations they usually try to find someone to come replace her rather then making her pull a double shift.  But she can not leave until replaced.  It's not usually a problem but one time she was forced to stay overnight on a shift that was suppose to end in the afternoon.  

Now she can absolutely quit after her shift is over.  But doing what Davis did there is a ticket to prison.

Some of the adults came from a previous organization that had corrupt leadership and went bankrupt.  My wife wasn't there for this but many of her co-workers came from that same organzation and they where.  Apparently many of them being very dedicated to the people they care for showed up to work knowing they would not be paid for it.  There are several people who are alive today because those people did their jobs knowing they wouldn't be getting paid. 

She also for the record is legally exempt when they shut down all the roads due to extremely severe weather.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Her job is taking care of developmentally disabled adults in a group home settings.  Many times she's the only person at the home.

Quitting and leaving the home before a replacement arrived would be neglect of a dependent which is a felony even if no one gets hurt.  If someone is hurt or killed it's an even worse felony.  Her quitting her shift would be the same as if I just decided to walk out of my house leaving my small children there alone.  

Most other people including myself could quit in the middle of their shift without legal problems but for people in her line of work it's absolutely necessary that they at least stay until someone replaces them.  Lives depend upon it.  In cases where that person for some reason does not or can not show up she's mandated by law to remain there until someone arrives to replace her.  That said in those situations they usually try to find someone to come replace her rather then making her pull a double shift.  But she can not leave until replaced.  It's not usually a problem but one time she was forced to stay overnight on a shift that was suppose to end in the afternoon.  

Now she can absolutely quit after her shift is over.  But doing what Davis did there is a ticket to prison.

Some of the adults came from a previous organization that had corrupt leadership and went bankrupt.  My wife wasn't there for this but many of her co-workers came from that same organzation and they where.  Apparently many of them being very dedicated to the people they care for showed up to work knowing they would not be paid for it.  There are several people who are alive today because those people did their jobs knowing they wouldn't be getting paid. 

She also for the record is legally exempt when they shut down all the roads due to extremely severe weather.  

Thank you for the additional details you provided regarding your wife's profession V2004. Very illuminating actually. Yes, given that environment & that she is often the only one there tending to the needs of developmentally disabled adults--I could see why walking off the job before a suitable replacement arrived would be deemed a criminal act of negligence. 

"Apparently many of them being very dedicated to the people they care for showed up to work knowing they would not be paid for it.  There are several people who are alive today because those people did their jobs knowing they wouldn't be getting paid." 

I applaud individuals like your wife who go above & beyond to care for disabled people & treat them with the ut most dignity & class under challenging situations & circumstances at times I'm sure. It takes a strong, patient, & compassionate person to do this kind of noble work. Not everybody can handle what comes along with this type of occupation either. Thank you for your wife's dedication. As a person born with Cerebral Palsy myself, I really admire & respect those who treat my community with class, professionalism, kindness, & perseverance overall. 

I tip my cap to ya. :hat: 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Thank you for the additional details you provided regarding your wife's profession V2004. Very illuminating actually. Yes, given that environment & that she is often the only one there tending to the needs of developmentally disabled adults--I could see why walking off the job before a suitable replacement arrived would be deemed a criminal act of negligence. 

"Apparently many of them being very dedicated to the people they care for showed up to work knowing they would not be paid for it.  There are several people who are alive today because those people did their jobs knowing they wouldn't be getting paid." 

I applaud individuals like your wife who go above & beyond to care for disabled people & treat them with the ut most dignity & class under challenging situations & circumstances at times I'm sure. It takes a strong, patient, & compassionate person to do this kind of noble work. Not everybody can handle what comes along with this type of occupation either. Thank you for your wife's dedication. As a person born with Cerebral Palsy myself, I really admire & respect those who treat my community with class, professionalism, kindness, & perseverance overall. 

I tip my cap to ya. :hat: 

Not me, she's doing it.

Also she wasn't the one working without pay.  An previous organization was going bankrupt had these guys before they where moved to the organization my wife works for.  A lot of those people worked for like 3 weeks with no pay.  When they moved them to the organization my wife works for that organization hired quite a few of them because they just took on a bunch of clients all at once.  They then started to try to quickly hire a bunch of people and that's how my wife got her job.

But yeah long story short she's legally mandated to finish her shift before quitting.  So I looked at Davis quitting in the middle of a game and I just have trouble accepting his excuses for it.  I totally get why he quit, but he can wait til the game is over.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Not me, she's doing it.

Also she wasn't the one working without pay.  An previous organization was going bankrupt had these guys before they where moved to the organization my wife works for.  A lot of those people worked for like 3 weeks with no pay.  When they moved them to the organization my wife works for that organization hired quite a few of them because they just took on a bunch of clients all at once.  They then started to try to quickly hire a bunch of people and that's how my wife got her job.

But yeah long story short she's legally mandated to finish her shift before quitting.  So I looked at Davis quitting in the middle of a game and I just have trouble accepting his excuses for it.  I totally get why he quit, but he can wait til the game is over.  

I realize it was your wife working in that environment as opposed to you V-2004. However, you deserve credit for highlighting the noble work your spouse does in order to reinforce your point that Davis quitting before the game was over was unacceptable, unprofessional, & in some cases, criminal. 

Sure, I agree with that assessment. Finish the game or your shift before you walk away & decide to do something else in society. No argument there. 

Glad to hear your wife was hired under better management & that she never got stiffed or denied a paycheck either. 

• Like 1