Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Campbell TD

Restinpeacesweetchloe

23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Watching the game live it didn’t look like Parris was this open. Man he is fast. He smoked Logan.

JB threw him open.  Excellent work by the Colts QB.  If he threw behind him, that would probably have been a pick.  But Brissett threw it where only Campbell could get it, and Campbell delivered. 

Brissett put that football right where it needed to be, fantastic touch pass.  Good running catch by the WR, but the pass was better than the catch IMHO.  That kind of touch pass is not easy to do and it's a good sign that Brissett is capable of creating offense with his arm even against good secondaries.

Now he just needs to show he can do this kind of play more consistently, and get it done between the 20s. 

Brissett is very close to breaking out, he's right on the cusp of "getting it" IMHO.  If he works hard, and I think he will, we're all gonna be surprised with what he winds up being.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Wish they would start using him a little more in the offense but what do I know.

I’m sure Frank Reich knows what he is doing.

I agree I'd like to get Campbell more involved, it's going to come down to Brissett establishing a comfort level with him.  Right now that's the big thing holding the team back, is that Brissett is still getting comfortable with the team's receiving corps. 

One of the reasons TY is getting so many balls thrown his way is because TY is one of the holdovers from Brissett's run in 17 and there's some residual comfort factor there.

I think that'll work itself out given time. Brissett's just gonna get comfortable with some of his younger options.

That said, if we're in the playoff hunt at the deadline I do think Ballard is going to make a move for a veteran target.  We don't have a lot of physicality in our receiver corps, especially without Funchess.  With a non-elite QB I see that as a need that will have to be addressed.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I agree I'd like to get Campbell more involved, it's going to come down to Brissett establishing a comfort level with him.  Right now that's the big thing holding the team back, is that Brissett is still getting comfortable with the team's receiving corps. 

One of the reasons TY is getting so many balls thrown his way is because TY is one of the holdovers from Brissett's run in 17 and there's some residual comfort factor there.

I think that'll work itself out given time. Brissett's just gonna get comfortable with some of his younger options.

That said, if we're in the playoff hunt at the deadline I do think Ballard is going to make a move for a veteran target.  We don't have a lot of physicality in our receiver corps, especially without Funchess.  With a non-elite QB I see that as a need that will have to be addressed.

Don’t forget funchess should be back by week 10. Brissett had a good comfort level with him that first game.

• Like 1

I’m pretty surprised of a few things. 

1. Ebron hasn’t been the replacement target for Funchess. 

2. Campbell hasn’t seen more action yet

3. Cain targets? Is he getting open or is he just running up field? 

4. Hines hasn’t been much of a factor at all. In fact, if we got down to it and had to cut someone, Hines might be one of those cuts. I don’t even recall, has he had anything that was over 5-6 yards?

5. MAC, is he still on the team?

6. Hentges, he is being saved for the surprise TD throw we will need against a top offensive foe when we open it up for JB to throw as needed. 

7. Wishes Fountain hadn’t been hurt, wonder what he would have been able to create in the regular season :Cry:

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

JB threw him open.  Excellent work by the Colts QB.  If he threw behind him, that would probably have been a pick.  But Brissett threw it where only Campbell could get it, and Campbell delivered. 

Brissett put that football right where it needed to be, fantastic touch pass.  Good running catch by the WR, but the pass was better than the catch IMHO.  That kind of touch pass is not easy to do and it's a good sign that Brissett is capable of creating offense with his arm even against good secondaries.

Now he just needs to show he can do this kind of play more consistently, and get it done between the 20s. 

Brissett is very close to breaking out, he's right on the cusp of "getting it" IMHO.  If he works hard, and I think he will, we're all gonna be surprised with what he winds up being.

It was a great pass.  And Campbell was running away from the defender in that crossing route.  They made it look easy.

44 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I’m pretty surprised of a few things. 

1. Ebron hasn’t been the replacement target for Funchess. 

2. Campbell hasn’t seen more action yet

3. Cain targets? Is he getting open or is he just running up field? 

4. Hines hasn’t been much of a factor at all. In fact, if we got down to it and had to cut someone, Hines might be one of those cuts. I don’t even recall, has he had anything that was over 5-6 yards?

5. MAC, is he still on the team?

6. Hentges, he is being saved for the surprise TD throw we will need against a top offensive foe when we open it up for JB to throw as needed. 

7. Wishes Fountain hadn’t been hurt, wonder what he would have been able to create in the regular season :Cry:

Yea Campbell,  cain, and hines lack of targets in space is confusing.  Particularly on that drive at the end of the half. Could have got in field goal range with Campbell  running  slants. The offense  still feels like a wrapped  up gift. Can't  tell it's  full potential  until it's  unleashed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

That was the problem JB had on the pass to Hilton that was picked, it was not a great pass because it was behind TY which allowed the defender to break on the ball and get the pick.

But for some reason JB is better throwing to his left than he is throwing to the right, which is unusual for a right handed QB.

6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Yea Campbell,  cain, and hines lack of targets in space is confusing.  Particularly on that drive at the end of the half. Could have got in field goal range with Campbell  running  slants. The offense  still feels like a wrapped  up gift. Can't  tell it's  full potential  until it's  unleashed. 

It's not confusing, a team cannot show everything in the first couple of games.

When teams are scouting their opponent for the next week to develop their game plan, they typically look at the last 5 games, so teams are learning you show things in one game to set something else up in another game.

For example; the power run to the left the Colts have used heavily in the first two weeks... sometime soon, probably in the next week or two, we are going to see that exact same play but there will be Ebron or Campbell or even Hines dragging back to the right and JB is going to pull the ball out and throw it to the dragging player and it will be open for a big gain.

In the SD game something like that wasn't needed, the power running to the left worked the entire 2nd half and SD could not stop it.  In the Titans game it wasn't really needed either

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Campbell ran a great route and had great separation even before he crossed the middle of the field. Very nice pass by JB but he stared him down the entire route. Lucky the left safety didn't react.

I don't see the staring down.  In the video he, JB clearly looks left, looks right and then his head snaps left and he throws.  That is why the safety didn't react by dropping back.

9 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I don't see the staring down.  In the video he, JB clearly looks left, looks right and then his head snaps left and he throws.  That is why the safety didn't react by dropping back.

He flashes quickly left but immediately locks in on PC before PC is even breaking to the left and follows him all the way across the field. 

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

It was a dime, but JB did not "throw Campbell open." Campbell blew the doors off the CB and was wide * open. JB better not have screwed that up.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

It was a dime, but JB did not "throw Campbell open." Campbell blew the doors off the CB and was wide * open. JB better not have screwed that up.

Yup, he was crazy open. And I'm pretty sure he was the primary read. That's what we missed last year (separation). Cain was wide open on multiple occasions but JB didn't find him. One of my biggest concerns with JB is that he struggles going through progressions. Hoping the game slows down for him.

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

I'm not trying to be a wise guy but exactly how did Brissett throw him open? He was wide open on his own.  That was  an easy throw that any QB in the league should complete. And if he would have thrown it behind him it would have been a bad pass.

28 minutes ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

I'm not trying to be a wise guy but exactly how did Brissett throw him open? He was wide open on his own.  That was  an easy throw that any QB in the league should complete. And if he would have thrown it behind him it would have been a bad pass.

He threw the ball before Campbell was even there and just guided him to the right space.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

It was a great pass, best of the game for Brissett (and the second longest pass, I think), but I don't think he necessarily threw him open. JMO. Nothing to quibble over though because again, it was a great pass.

If more passes had gone Campbell's way the offense  would be more explosive. 

21 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If more passes had gone Campbell's way the offense  would be more explosive. 

Kind of an interesting stat (even though we're only 2 games in), Hilton is the only player with more than 5 receptions so far. Hines has 5 and everybody else, less than that.

Had Funchess not gotten injured I think he would've eclipsed that though.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

He flashes quickly left but immediately locks in on PC before PC is even breaking to the left and follows him all the way across the field. 

Just because you say it a different way does not make it true.  Watch his head, he does not follow Campbell across the field, he looks, left, right then left.  In other words, the way a QB is supposed to go through his progressions.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Kind of an interesting stat (even though we're only 2 games in), Hilton is the only player with more than 5 receptions so far. Hines has 5 and everybody else, less than that.

Had Funchess not gotten injured I think he would've eclipsed that though.

Yea they are scared to throw to young wrs

9 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Yea they are scared to throw to young wrs

You keep banging this drum without offering anything tangible to support it.  

The other day you complained he wasn’t on the field enough without knowing his snap count. 

Its not like you showing us multiple plays where’s he’s screamingly wide open and Brissett isn’t throwing to him. Hey there might be, but show us.

You’re, of course, entitled to your opinion, but an informed one carries more weight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

It was a good leading throw.  Campbell made it easy but Brissett still had to put it where it had to go.

And no, NOT any QB could make that throw.  We've certainly seen examples of that kind of throw going very badly.  One that stands out is the Russsel Wilson pass that the Pats picked off in SB49. Wilson didn't throw a strike to Lockette and that allowed Butler to get in and out the body on him.  A good throw that Lockette could shield with his body while he caught it would have been a TD.

11 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

The other day you complained he wasn’t on the field enough without knowing his snap count. 

Its not like you showing us multiple plays where’s he’s screamingly wide open and Brissett isn’t throwing to him. Hey there might be, but show us.

You’re, of course, entitled to your opinion, but an informed one carries more weight.

I going to keep banging  the drum til I see the young wrs being used the way they are supposed  to be. He got 1 pass thrown his way in each game. 1 pass is too little  to show off his talent.  Give him atleast  5 targets in space.

Just now, Stephen said:

I going to keep banging  the drum til I see the young wrs being used the way they are supposed  to be. He got 1 pass thrown his way in each game. 1 pass is too little  to show off his talent.  Give him atleast  5 targets in space.

Repeating the same thing over doesn’t make it more valid. What if he’s been covered on every other snap, should we force him the ball into coverage? 

15 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Also I wondered  about his snap count because  of how under used he is. 

2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Repeating the same thing over doesn’t make it more valid. What if he’s been covered on every other snap, should we force him the ball into coverage? 

As quick as he separates  I guarantee  he wasn't  covered  every time.