Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Trace Pyott

Team identity.

Recommended Posts

  With all this seasons uncertainty and Andrew luck drama I think we are all (the team included unsure what this teams identity is, well at least I am. In years past we almost always had an identity well at least our good teams. So far it looks like we are average to good at both sides of the ball but not great either. I know it’s pretty early to predict but what kind of team identity do you guys see us establishing in the next few weeks??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Colts have gone from "Andrew Luck and some guys" to a more integrated team with a higher potential. That will take some time to realize - even in the coaches mind.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're starting to resemble the early 2000s Patriots teams before Brady became an elite qb. 

Great defense, great running game, and timely qb play.

Now the Ds not there yet but the identity is starting to take shape.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are changing from a quarterback centric  team to a complete team. I actually love it. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PeterBowman said:

They're starting to resemble the early 2000s Patriots teams before Brady became an elite qb. 

Great defense, great running game, and timely qb play.

Now the Ds not there yet but the identity is starting to take shape.

Would have to concur.  I don't think we're early 2000's Patriots yet, or even like 1999.  I think we maybe be closer to the '97 or '98 Pats team.  Still a few years off from being dynastic, but building that inner core and with good leadership.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smashmouth, grinding, possession team.  Focus on physicality, time of possession and delivering in the clutch. 

 

I'm loving every minute of it personally.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Would have to concur.  I don't think we're early 2000's Patriots yet, or even like 1999.  I think we maybe be closer to the '97 or '98 Pats team.  Still a few years off from being dynastic, but building that inner core and with good leadership.

That Patriots team made the Superbowl in 96.  They had that core and identity as a high risk high reward offense with Bledsoe as a gunslinging QB with a lot of TD and a lot of INT and the defense helping cover his weaknesses.

 

It was when they switched from that high octane gunslinger to a more possession focused QB that took care of the football, had icewater in his veins, limited turnovers and managed the clock well, and had a reputation as being the Comeback Kid in college, that Superbowls started happening for that franchise.

 

Did I mention that we have a possession QB who's known for his calmness, does a good job of limiting turnovers, and has a reputation for leading NC state to several comeback wins?

 

We've got to improve our D to get to the level the Patriots were at in the early 2000s.  But it looks very much like this is the direction Ballard and Reich want us to go in, and I'm very pleased to see it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

  With all this seasons uncertainty and Andrew luck drama I think we are all (the team included unsure what this teams identity is, well at least I am. In years past we almost always had an identity well at least our good teams. So far it looks like we are average to good at both sides of the ball but not great either. I know it’s pretty early to predict but what kind of team identity do you guys see us establishing in the next few weeks??

 

  Gee, it couldn't be more clear. We have as good a run blocking line as there is.

 Your coach says we are going to Run the Damn Ball. Simple.

  Think Seahawks and you will get it. 

 NOTHING is happening in just a few weeks. We are young.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

 

 NOTHING is happening in just a few weeks. We are young.

We are indeed young.  That said, the team has looked competitive so far.  It's a long shot, but if we avoid making major mistakes, we could be contenders this year.  I'm certainly not going to concede anything without a fight, that's for darn sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally think we've lost some identity with Luck retiring. Fell down a notch and don't have that elite QB play anymore. Too early to tell but that's just how I'm seeing it currently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like our identity for the moment is drama. McWeasel, Luck, Vinatieri. But moving on from that, it's got to be a run it down your throat run game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this thread deserves to be revived.  That was an identity-building win against Atlanta, and I think we have a much clearer picture of what the team is trying to be.

 

What we are is a smart, balanced, disciplined, possession team.  We don't give the football away.  We don't make stupid mistakes.  We make teams earn their points against us.  We control time of possession and make sure we control our own destiny rather than relying on luck to bail us out.  We play physical ball and force opponents to wear themselves out trying to stop us.  We don't make or accept excuses but we pull for our team and go out of our way to build up struggling players.


And I love every minute of it.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The oline is the Colts identity right now.  And the best word used to describe that is scrappy.

 

The defense is not great... it's not even good at this point of the season.

 

Qb play has been very good but the term I'd use is efficient.

 

The Colts have not played well for an entire game yet, but still if it were not for AV's missed FGs and EP the Colts would be 3-0 right now.  So I think scrappy is a good identity.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The oline is the Colts identity right now.  And the best word used to describe that is scrappy.

 

The defense is not great... it's not even good at this point of the season.

 

Qb play has been very good but the term I'd use is efficient.

 

The Colts have not played well for an entire game yet, but still if it were not for AV's missed FGs and EP the Colts would be 3-0 right now.  So I think scrappy is a good identity.

I think our D will get better as the year goes on.  I haven't seen much blitzing to mix things up, and that might help us get off the field on 3rd and long once in a while.  I agree though, the o-line is our identity at this point.  Scrappy sounds about right (pictures of Wilson/Mack/Nelson floating through my mind right now).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I think our D will get better as the year goes on.  I haven't seen much blitzing to mix things up, and that might help us get off the field on 3rd and long once in a while.  I agree though, the o-line is our identity at this point.  Scrappy sounds about right (pictures of Wilson/Mack/Nelson floating through my mind right now).

We’ll be doing more blitzing as the season goes on. We did the same thing to start the season last year. Hooker being out doesn’t help the cause. It’s going to be rough back there for a few games. Your are correct about the Oline being our identity. Nelson is amazing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The oline is the Colts identity right now.  And the best word used to describe that is scrappy.

 

The defense is not great... it's not even good at this point of the season.

 

Qb play has been very good but the term I'd use is efficient.

 

The Colts have not played well for an entire game yet, but still if it were not for AV's missed FGs and EP the Colts would be 3-0 right now.  So I think scrappy is a good identity.

 

 

Png

  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we need to put a label on everything? In fact, the only label I really care about is 'SB Champions'.......

 

Sorry for being a grumpus.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2019 at 8:57 AM, Imgrandojji said:

Smashmouth, grinding, possession team.  Focus on physicality, time of possession and delivering in the clutch. 

 

I'm loving every minute of it personally.

I will add that we can win by running the ball or throwing it. 

We could not do that in the past for

most Colts teams.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2019 at 8:27 AM, Imgrandojji said:

We are indeed young.  That said, the team has looked competitive so far.  It's a long shot, but if we avoid making major mistakes, we could be contenders this year.  I'm certainly not going to concede anything without a fight, that's for darn sure.

 

As already pointed out, if AV makes his FG and XPs in week 1, this is a 3-0 team along with only 3 other teams the AFC.  We're tied atop the AFC South, which is not looking like a very good division right now.  We certainly still have a shot at winning the AFC South this year and getting into the playoffs.  As it stands now, I have a hard time seeing anyone but KC and NE representing the AFC in the Superbowl, but it's a long season and injuries and other freaky things occur.  Let's hope we're about done with the injury bug and get healthy down the stretch.

 

8 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

I will add that we can win by running the ball or throwing it. 

We could not do that in the past for

most Colts teams.

 

 

Hopefully, 'injured' doesn't become our identity.  It's clear that TY has been Brissett's security blanket throughout the first 2.5 weeks of the season.  While the Falcons had that ~10 minute drive in the 2nd half and kept our O off the field, I thought it was pretty apparent that our O was in better sync in the first half (this could be due to TY going down, game planning/adjustments by Atlanta, the fact they had a few time consuming drives, etc.).  We'll need someone, or multiple people, to step up in case TY's going to be missing time.  That said, I was very encouraged by our final drive where we were able to kill 4+min off the clock and close the game out.  That's what winning football teams do.

 

All that aside, and it's still a little concerning that we have 3 veteran players who we were expecting big things from hurt/injured now.  We know for sure we won't see Funchess back until at least mid-season and it sounds like about the same for Hooker.  I've not seen anything about a timeline for TY, but from his post-game interview, it sounds like something which has been nagging him for a while, so hopefully that gets cleared up.  Leonard should be out of concussion protocol soon, which is good news.  I don't see anything on Tyquan Lewis other than he banged up his ankle in the game -- that's a fairly big blow to our DL if we don't have him in the rotation.

 

I agree with you though, this is the most balanced offense I have seen in a while.  Reich also seems like the most 'adaptive' offensive playcaller I can recall being in Indy.  He adjusts his game plan throughout and takes what the other team is giving us.  While the first 2.5 games were kind of "TY-Centric" in terms of the passing game, it was nice to see Brissett complete passes to 9 guys yesterday.. as our young guys (e.g., Cain, Campbell, Pascal, Hines, Wilkins) continue to improve, distributing the ball around like that ought to only help when we see TY and Funchess back at full strength.

 

The nice thing about our schedule is we should be able to beat OAK at home, before a very tough road game in KC.  To be honest, I think KC will sweep the AFC South.... it should still put us at a respectable 3-2 going into our bye.  After our bye, we have a few difficult games, but the only one I see as very difficult will be New Orleans -- as of now, the Panthers, Broncos, Tampa Bay, Miami and Pittsburgh all look to be struggling and we have a good idea of what to expect from our division opponents.   

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea, but depending  on how bad they beat US it could be a long two weeks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

 

As already pointed out, if AV makes his FG and XPs in week 1, this is a 3-0 team along with only 3 other teams the AFC.  We're tied atop the AFC South, which is not looking like a very good division right now.  We certainly still have a shot at winning the AFC South this year and getting into the playoffs.  As it stands now, I have a hard time seeing anyone but KC and NE representing the AFC in the Superbowl, but it's a long season and injuries and other freaky things occur.  Let's hope we're about done with the injury bug and get healthy down the stretch.

 

 

 

Hopefully, 'injured' doesn't become our identity.  It's clear that TY has been Brissett's security blanket throughout the first 2.5 weeks of the season.  While the Falcons had that ~10 minute drive in the 2nd half and kept our O off the field, I thought it was pretty apparent that our O was in better sync in the first half (this could be due to TY going down, game planning/adjustments by Atlanta, the fact they had a few time consuming drives, etc.).  We'll need someone, or multiple people, to step up in case TY's going to be missing time.  That said, I was very encouraged by our final drive where we were able to kill 4+min off the clock and close the game out.  That's what winning football teams do.

 

All that aside, and it's still a little concerning that we have 3 veteran players who we were expecting big things from hurt/injured now.  We know for sure we won't see Funchess back until at least mid-season and it sounds like about the same for Hooker.  I've not seen anything about a timeline for TY, but from his post-game interview, it sounds like something which has been nagging him for a while, so hopefully that gets cleared up.  Leonard should be out of concussion protocol soon, which is good news.  I don't see anything on Tyquan Lewis other than he banged up his ankle in the game -- that's a fairly big blow to our DL if we don't have him in the rotation.

 

I agree with you though, this is the most balanced offense I have seen in a while.  Reich also seems like the most 'adaptive' offensive playcaller I can recall being in Indy.  He adjusts his game plan throughout and takes what the other team is giving us.  While the first 2.5 games were kind of "TY-Centric" in terms of the passing game, it was nice to see Brissett complete passes to 9 guys yesterday.. as our young guys (e.g., Cain, Campbell, Pascal, Hines, Wilkins) continue to improve, distributing the ball around like that ought to only help when we see TY and Funchess back at full strength.

 

The nice thing about our schedule is we should be able to beat OAK at home, before a very tough road game in KC.  To be honest, I think KC will sweep the AFC South.... it should still put us at a respectable 3-2 going into our bye.  After our bye, we have a few difficult games, but the only one I see as very difficult will be New Orleans -- as of now, the Panthers, Broncos, Tampa Bay, Miami and Pittsburgh all look to be struggling and we have a good idea of what to expect from our division opponents.   

Nice post. I'd like to add that on our day, we can absolutely lose to anyone (eg Jets last year, Jags in London etc).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Do we need to put a label on everything? In fact, the only label I really care about is 'SB Champions'.......

 

Sorry for being a grumpus.

So, you're saying we need to bake the cake in the oven before we attempt to eat the darn thing as a finished product? What a groundbreaking idea & novel concept. LOL! Just joking buddy. And yes, you are quite correct BHC--Fans want perfection now. Patience? What the hades is that? 

 

All kidding aside, Luck's retirement might be a blessings in disguise for us because we leaned on him too much to bail us out in a tight spot. Jacoby moves well, distributes the ball well, & he's not locked into just 1 WR. Okay, TY is his get outta jail free card sure, but he utilizes our TE's Ebron & Doyle effectively too. 

 

We run the ball well. Our o-line is solid...Leonard is only gonna get better. 

 

I'm with you on this one bro. Let's let the yeast expand baby & see what we're working with at season's end or at least wait until week 8 before we start drawing tentative conclusions for now. Well said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jchandler7 said:

Strategic, well coached, fast & tough.

Simple, succinct, & accurate. We'd be in serious trouble without Coach Reich right now. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2019 at 10:17 AM, coltsva said:

Seems like our identity for the moment is drama. McWeasel, Luck, Vinatieri. But moving on from that, it's got to be a run it down your throat run game.

Originally, I was gonna respectfully disagree with the use of the word "drama" as it pertains to INDY. However, if you perceive drama as a rollercoaster ride of uncertainty as in, not knowing what to expect with Adam's foot--there is something there whether we care to admit it or not at the moment. 

 

McWeasel...haha I like that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Do we need to put a label on everything? In fact, the only label I really care about is 'SB Champions'.......

 

Sorry for being a grumpus.

It's how we do things in the US.  We label something, then we can mock it by saying that label derisively.

 

Now, we label the Colts "scrappy" for example, then they lose someone can then, with a sarcastic tone and a sneer on their face, say "scrappy".  That way they can mock something without having to actually think.

 



 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

I think this thread deserves to be revived.  That was an identity-building win against Atlanta, and I think we have a much clearer picture of what the team is trying to be.

 

What we are is a smart, balanced, disciplined, possession team.  We don't give the football away.  We don't make stupid mistakes.  We make teams earn their points against us.  We control time of possession and make sure we control our own destiny rather than relying on luck to bail us out.  We play physical ball and force opponents to wear themselves out trying to stop us.  We don't make or accept excuses but we pull for our team and go out of our way to build up struggling players.


And I love every minute of it.

Great post! This is exactly who we are and I agree with you 100%

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Simple, succinct, & accurate. We'd be in serious trouble without Coach Reich right 

Hands down, Frank is the biggest reason for our success. IMO

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, southwest1 said:

 

 

All kidding aside, Luck's retirement might be a blessings in disguise for us because we leaned on him too much to bail us out in a tight spot. Jacoby moves well, distributes the ball well, & he's not locked into just 1 WR. Okay, TY is his get outta jail free card sure, but he utilizes our TE's Ebron & Doyle effectively too. 

 

 

I see what you are saying, but I sure would have liked to see what Luck could do with the best team he has ever had.  

 

I think "well-rounded" is the current identity.  

Middle of the pack in offensive yards and points.   We can run it well and can pass it well when needed.

Middle of the pack in defensive yards and points.   

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The identity of this team is in the OL, to play any style of offensive football we need, and play it with discipline. Defensive identity is still a work in progress. The rewards of good coaching and player development is being seen every day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2019 at 2:25 PM, Myles said:

I see what you are saying, but I sure would have liked to see what Luck could do with the best team he has ever had.  

 

I think "well-rounded" is the current identity.  

Middle of the pack in offensive yards and points.   We can run it well and can pass it well when needed.

Middle of the pack in defensive yards and points.   

 

Oh, I'm right there with ya Myles. We finally put a capable team around Luck & we all wanted to see what this roster could do with Andrew under center. It is disappointing in that regard. No question about it. 

 

Good post. I don't disagree with anything you said at all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately until we win in the post season, our identity is the team

that lost its star QB to retirement in the prime of his career. As we get

further in the season and we get more national air time, the story about

Luck will continue to get more attention. Aside from that a good second

story about Quentin Nelson should get more attention. However we need to continue running the ball well or even that story could fade.  

If you had to make me say something team specific, I would just say our

identity is we have a team of just good dudes that go to war for each other in the face of crippling adversity. Not going to win any super bowls as currently constructed but they have no fear regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Blindside said:

Unfortunately until we win in the post season, our identity is the team

that lost its star QB to retirement in the prime of his career. As we get

further in the season and we get more national air time, the story about

Luck will continue to get more attention. Aside from that a good second

story about Quentin Nelson should get more attention. However we need to continue running the ball well or even that story could fade.  

If you had to make me say something team specific, I would just say our

identity is we have a team of just good dudes that go to war for each other in the face of crippling adversity. Not going to win any super bowls as currently constructed but they have no fear regardless.

I don't know about this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • You want to use our early second round pick on a RB? Out of the 4 core units (Pass O, Rush O, Pass D, Rush D), rushing O is easily the best right now. Give me DT, DE, OT, WR, etc after the 1st pick.   Based on unit performance, age, etc. 1. QB 2a. DT or 2b. OT/OG 4. WR 5. DE 6. S 7. MLB 8. TE 9. CB 10. RB  
    • I know this they have to give us a lot of picks to be able to do that I was pointing out how interesting this guy's prediction was
    • No prediction here, after the last couple of weeks, I'm just going to sit and try to enjoy watching a Colts win?   
    • I don't care for Hurts, but I like him a whole lot more than Fromm.....   It happens every single year....    Yup, and yup.   Fields is a true Soph. He won't be in the draft unless it's the XFL..   Perhaps Ballard like Love, and doesn't think he goes prior to our middle pick... Perhaps he's made a decision to take best available in the middle, and Love falls to our pick, and Ballard sees him as best available. You don't always have to go all in to get the guy you want early.   If Ballard wants to move up, he can package our first three picks (1R, 2R, 2R) and likely go up to #4 if he wants to. If Love is his guy, he likely doesn't need to go to #4.    Burrow looks incredibly good. Herbert has been talked about for 2 years now.  Love might have the highest ceiling of any QB this year, but also a lower floor than Burrow or Herbert. That's without even talking about Tua... Regardless, 4 pretty strong candidates.   Here's NFL.com's review of him recently. They are basically describing a Reich O...    I mean, going to rejoin Yost at TX Tech might improve his stock a little, but he's likely to still get a first round grade this year. I just don't see him staying in college. But who knows.
    • Nothing says ugly win more than the Pacers.
  • Members

    • RollerColt

      RollerColt 1,574

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Orioles22

      Orioles22 22

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • FRW

      FRW 95

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Aces101

      Aces101 106

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • blackcoffeeguy

      blackcoffeeguy 11

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • MPStack

      MPStack 2,866

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • WoolMagnet

      WoolMagnet 4,041

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • buffalo34

      buffalo34 905

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • coltsfanej

      coltsfanej 253

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Blindside

      Blindside 30

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...