Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts are officially working out kickers

Steamboat_Shaun

29 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

The problem with sentimentality is that it runs deep in Indiana. New England, aside from Tom Brady (who is performing as good as ever in his old age,) can move on from anybody and their fanbase doesn't bat an eye because they value winning over everything. Indiana fans lose their minds (look at the fallout from the Manning ordeal.) So Ballard has that up against him as a manager. He has to balance the fanbase loving certain players and making the proper decisions. Although I think most organizations would be in a tough bind with Vinny's situation. It's just hard to cut that guy with all he has brought and currently brings as a teammate. 

I slightly disagree.  I think that Ballard has enough credibility with Irsay right now that he can make unpopular decisions and get away with it.  He's responsible for the fact that we still have a chance to compete even without the guy who was supposed to be the frnachise centerpiece after all. 

And sticking with Brissett was not the most popular decision an Indianapolis GM ever made

I think you forget that before Belichick came along New England fans were just as sentimental.  Fans nearly rioted when Belichick got rid of Lawyer Milloy.  Fans nearly rioted when their star QB was left on the bench after he recovered from his injury, in favor of a 6th round nobody.  Fans nearly rioted again when Belichick let Vinateiri move on.

It's only after consistent success over a long period of time that New England fans learned to accept Belichick's way of doing things.

it will take him time, but Ballard is off to a great start at earning that level of credibility here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

I slightly disagree.  I think that Ballard has enough credibility with Irsay right now that he can make unpopular decisions and get away with it.  He's responsible for the fact that we still have a chance to compete even without the guy who was supposed to be the frnachise centerpiece after all. 

And sticking with Brissett was not the most popular decision an Indianapolis GM ever made

Ballard can likely do what he pleases from a roster standpoint... My point was that he has to keep in mind the fallout that can happen. 

And sticking with JB was unpopular? What the hell was he supposed to do exactly? 

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Ballard can likely do what he pleases from a roster standpoint... My point was that he has to keep in mind the fallout that can happen. 

And sticking with JB was unpopular? What the hell was he supposed to do exactly? 

I don't know, and the people who wanted to move on from Brissett probably don't either, but a lot of them were in the Chad Kelly camp.

It was one of those situations where either solution was probably going to be unpopular.  Ballard handled it really well IMHO by picking his guy and sticking with him.  I think he would have most of the fanbase behind him whichever of the two, Brissett or Kelly, he picked -- as long as that choice won football games.

As to the fallout... eh.  If you use the example of Belichick, when h got rid of Milloy, replaced Bledsoe with Brady and let Vinateiri go to FA each of those decisions were deeply unpopular at the time, and there was a backlash.  BB ignored it and the furor eventually died down as the Patriots remained a strong and entertaining team without those players.

That's the key.  There will be ripples if a player with sentimental value is terminated before the fans are done with them.  If the team remains strong, it always blows over.

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Detroit didn't cut an all time great,   those guys retired

I think he was talking about Luck, not Manning.  But, yes, most Colts fans I ever talked to thought the team made the right move WRT Manning and Luck.  But, of course, nobody could foresee either Luck’s abbreviated career or Peyton’s return to form.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I don't know, and the people who wanted to move on from Brissett probably don't either, but a lot of them were in the Chad Kelly camp.

It was one of those situations where either solution was probably going to be unpopular.  Ballard handled it really well IMHO by picking his guy and sticking with him.  I think he would have most of the fanbase behind him whichever of the two, Brissett or Kelly, he picked -- as long as that choice won football games.

I don’t think there have ever been all that many people who thought Kelly should be our starting QB, suspension notwithstanding.  I do think a lot of people think he has a good upside.

Starting Brissett was not at all controversial.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

Personally, I don’t think he should get another week.  We don’t need a backup plan.  We need a kicker who can make FGs and PATs.  The kicker we have now has lost us one game already this season and damn near both of them....and not by missing 53 yarders, either.

They should give Vinny a legend’s exit — he has absolutely earned it.  But we shouldn’t be relying on him for any more actual games.

Agreed he is done. Colts front office and coaching staff is just in denial.

• Like 1

I'm seriously hoping AV rids the demons.  Nobody is more capable and than him!

Unfortunately, you need to have some patience with young kickers.  I saw Matt Prater miss 3 kicks for the Falcons, and get cut.   He eventually turned out to be great, after a few stops..

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

How many practices have you watched?  

In this instance, practices are meaningless.

Good grief, man...in the past three games he’s missed 2 FGs less than 30 yards, four PATs (which are 33-yard kicks), and a 46 yarder.  He also missed a PAT in the last regular season game against TEN.

And your response to that is “Yeah, but have you watched him in practice?”  Really??!?!!

Who are you...Allen Iverson?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

How many practices have you watched?  

Kicking is probably the position that is influenced most by in-game dynamics. The crowds, the pressure, the variance in weather and surfaces played on. Practice holds little to no relevance. Fact is, he has cost them one game, should have been 2, and he isn't striking out on 99 mph heaters, he's missing on the 89 mph pitches that hang over the plate, to use a baseball analogy. It's not acceptable for anyone, and what he's done in the past gives him some headway, but it's beyond that. Vinny knows it. The fans know it. Seems like everyone but the front office knows it. If Luck hadn't retired and we had a legit shot at a deep playoff run, Vinny would've already "retired". 

30 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

From strictly a standpoint of this forum, sure. But that's not representative of the fanbase or average fan who doesn't even know who Chad Kelly is right now...

56 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Not for those of us that wanted to trade the pick and keep peyton

There is probably nobody in any professional football front office who would’ve made that move.  It wasn’t a close call.

And what makes second-guessing it today in hindsight plausible isn’t what Manning went on to do at Denver, but Luck’s whole saga...ending in a shocking retirement.

Just because it played out the way it did doesn’t mean the Colts made the wrong choice.  If they had it to do over again, knowing only what they knew then, they’d do it again...and so would any other team.

It’s rare to get a shot at a guy who just about everybody thought would be a franchise SB caliber quarterback.  You don’t trade that away — for even a player of Peyton’s caliber who was in his situation.

3 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'd bring back cole hedlund he did alright in preseason 

He did miss 3 XPA last year. But if they go that route, I agree he did look good. He looked confident. So much rides on confidence and Vinny seems to have lost his.

But it looks like Irsay, Ballard and Reich believe if anybody can snap out of “yips”, it’s Adam Venitieri

There may be a future HOF kicker on that list. However, there is one in the building. 

I know a lot of people think it’s definitely time. But a lot of us are rooting for him to shine again. All it takes is a made field goal or xtra point and 60,000 Colts fans letting him know you’re behind him.

3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

The one thing keeping me optimistic on Vinny is that he's not missing short... he hasn't lost his power... he just needs to straighten the ball out... in a couple instances, I am wondering if he and Rigberto need more time practicing their chemistry.

It’d be pretty bizarre for an NFL kicker to miss a PAT 29 yd FG short wouldn’t it?  

So i guess the Luck retirement wasnt drama enuff for this organization.  Now the Vinny drama.  Add in a dose of coaching hire drama and i believe it is Ballard who is the Colt most "Colt forged".  His "metal" has been tempered in the "fire" since day one.  

And thru all this, i have a strange sense it will all work out.  This team is exciting and plays with no quit in their vocabulary. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

agree, I think he gets out of this slump vs. falcons.  I would prefer not to have boo-birds cackling for a 2nd time this season at LOS.

This is my worry. The boo-birds story for Luck was overblown in my opinion (it wasn't that many fans and other cities would have done much worse) but the front office is setting us up for failure if Adam costs us the game against the Falcons. 

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

It’d be pretty bizarre for an NFL kicker to miss a PAT 29 yd FG short wouldn’t it?  

There have been several kickers that have missed PATs in both weeks this year.  It shouldn't happen, but Adam's not the only one.

I'm not talking about PATs, I'm talking about his 49 yard field goal game one.. if he hit that straight, it's good from 55+ easily.

Honestly, I think he, Sanchez and the long snapper just need to practice more together -- at least 3 of the 5 kicks, I feel like Adam looks at Rigo after like he wasn't liking the hold.

If his 49 yarder came up short, or looked like it would barely clear, I'd be more worried about Adam's leg.... I think he'll get it figured out.. maybe we should bring McAfee back just to hold to see if things improve.

29 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

There have been several kickers that have missed PATs in both weeks this year.  It shouldn't happen, but Adam's not the only one.

I'm not talking about PATs, I'm talking about his 49 yard field goal game one.. if he hit that straight, it's good from 55+ easily.

Honestly, I think he, Sanchez and the long snapper just need to practice more together -- at least 3 of the 5 kicks, I feel like Adam looks at Rigo after like he wasn't liking the hold.

If his 49 yarder came up short, or looked like it would barely clear, I'd be more worried about Adam's leg.... I think he'll get it figured out.. maybe we should bring McAfee back just to hold to see if things improve.

Who was holding  kicks last year

1 hour ago, ojsglove said:

Hopefully Vinny gets back in the saddle Sunday.  If he has another rough game, I hope the fans show the man the respect he deserves.  Are you a TRUE fan of the COLTS, or only if we win??

I back my man, Adam, no matter what. I want to see him try and work it out. If that doesn't work out, the team will move on. He does not need to be nudged out the door. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I was up in the air too... But Peyton wasn't exactly the only issue. It was the fact that keeping Peyton meant keeping the barrage of players that were washed up and overcompensated due to the sentiment mentioned earlier. We would have not only needed all those picks we would have landed from trading Luck away, we would have needed to hit on the majority of them to make up for the capspace problem we had with often injured players... and Chris Polian wasn't hitting much more than Ryan Grigson there those years. 

Yep. Plus one thing everyone forgets too, we were in salary cap hell that year, even with cutting Manning, we had very little room, we would have had to cut those guys with or without Manning.

• Like 1