Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissett Comparison

BleedBlue4Shoe86

Yardage is going to be dependent on team needs as well as skill . Reich is not going to risk getting into an offensive shootout very often against comparable teams.  Brissett's yardage is going to be below his true talent level until he shows a lot more comfort, confidence and decisiveness as a thrower.

To put that another way -- yards are going to be a trailing indicator of Brissett's development progress.  By the time he's putting up big yardage, this team will have already been fully confident of his ability to air it out for a couple weeks.  Reich is taking zero shortcuts here.  At least not while we're still competitive.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Iron Colt said:

Byron Leftwich.

I see why you said that, but I think Leftwich is a bit short of where I'd place Brissett.  Not a lot, just a bit.  Especially because Leftwich had a pretty high pick rate for most of his career as a starter, and that's one issue Brissett hasn't really shown us yet.

The guy I'd comp to Brissett is Jake Delhomme

If he didn’t have such a long wind up throw, he could really shine in the league. That length of time he is holding the ball and coming out of his hand has to improve or we are going to have to draft more olineman in the first round that are good at pass protection. He will need to be given 4-5 seconds as opposed to 3 in order to get us into the promise land. Hopefully, they can work with JB to cut down his motions and quicken his throws. 

Jacoby reminds me of a young Ben Roethlisberger.

He is very slippery in the pocket, and this is the area he reminds me most of him. We have seen him slip away from several sacks already this year. He did it in 2017, and in college as well. 

He has a very strong arm. He throws the ball outside the hashes really well. He has a good deep ball too, and I'm not the least bit worried he cant throw it downfield, I think he does it very well. He struggles more with the rythym passing game than anything else, as did Roethlisberger early in his career. That can take some time for some guys to develop. The coverage is much tighter in the middle of the field, there are way more bodies moving all different directions, and its tougher to sense separation/account for the defense. It's all timing/preperation which both need to be developed. You have to know exactly where/when youre going, at the snap. He hasnt played enough to be that cerebral, yet. He needs time with his receivers to develop on field chemistry.

He isn't the center of the offense. If you remember Ben's first two years, he didnt even break 300 attempts for the entire season, either year. He threw for 5k last year, but his first two years didnt even add up to 5K. He averaged a little less than 2500 yards and 17TDs, and didnt break 4k until his 6th or 7th year. Jacoby already has 5TD and will wind up with more than 17TD or 2500 yards, but that's because he has much better playmakers at WR and TE than Ben had back then. And the game is just called different now. 

He manages the important aspects of the game very well. He has been great on 3rd down so far. He has been very good in both critical 4th down plays he has faced. He is pretty good in the redzone as well. The Steelers relied on running the ball and defense, Roethlisberger just had to pick up 3rd downs, make an occasional play with his legs and be smart in the redzone. And he did it as well as any young player in recent memory. Jacoby can be that guy.

Keep in mind.......

The Colts are averaging 22 a game, so far.

Adam Vinatieri has cost them 9 easy points.

That would bring our average to 26.5 a game.

On one of the Vinatieri misses, the play before that, Ebron dropped a TD pass (questionable call as well) Jacoby hit him right in the hands with. Add another 4 points to that. 

That brings our average to 28.5 a game. We have played two quality teams on the road, both in their home openers. And it's not like the defense forced a bunch of turnovers and we got lucky to have the ball on scoring position.  This is legit, running the offense and converting third downs, driving the ball down the field, and finishing the drives with TDs. Hes overcome penalties at times as well. There hasnt been a bunch of blown coverages against bottom dwellers. Jacoby has lead these drives under unfavorable conditions. We are gonna win a lot of games if we can score 28.5 a game.

Jacoby has managed the offense about as well as you could expect. We are just so much more balanced than ever before and are use to pass heavy offense, relying on superb QB play.....we dont appreciate what hes done thru these first two games, nearly enough, as fans. This is a different type of team, but we can absolutely score the ball enough to beat elite teams. One drive it might be a long run. One drive it might be a play action pass to TY. One drive it might be a lot of over the middle stuff to TEs and the running game mixed together. One game we might get points from the defense, or a bunch of turnovers.......In some ways we might be more dangerous and harder to prepare for, than ever before. 

Can we stop elite teams? That's the real question. I think we are getting there, but not quite, yet. Our front 7 is missing their version of Quenton Nelson. They need the guy that sets the physical tone for the entire unit and helps them control the LOS. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I hate to make the comparison because of skin color but JB reminds me of Culpepper or Mcnabb.

He reminds me of McNabb/Big Ben in terms of how he eludes pressure/runs. Not really fast (although McNabb was pretty quick early on) but almost shifty/elusive, powerful.

I don't know who I'd compare him to as a passer though, at least not yet.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Jacoby reminds me of a young Ben Roethlisberger.

He is very slippery in the pocket, and this is the area he reminds me most of him. We have seen him slip away from several sacks already this year. He did it in 2017, and in college as well. 

He has a very strong arm. He throws the ball outside the hashes really well. He has a good deep ball too, and I'm not the least bit worried he cant throw it downfield, I think he does it very well. He struggles more with the rythym passing game than anything else, as did Roethlisberger early in his career. That can take some time for some guys to develop. The coverage is much tighter in the middle of the field, there are way more bodies moving all different directions, and its tougher to sense separation/account for the defense. It's all timing/preperation which both need to be developed. You have to know exactly where/when youre going, at the snap. He hasnt played enough to be that cerebral, yet. He needs time with his receivers to develop on field chemistry.

He isn't the center of the offense. If you remember Ben's first two years, he didnt even break 300 attempts for the entire season, either year. He threw for 5k last year, but his first two years didnt even add up to 5K. He averaged a little less than 2500 yards and 17TDs, and didnt break 4k until his 6th or 7th year. Jacoby already has 5TD and will wind up with more than 17TD or 2500 yards, but that's because he has much better playmakers at WR and TE than Ben had back then. And the game is just called different now. 

He manages the important aspects of the game very well. He has been great on 3rd down so far. He has been very good in both critical 4th down plays he has faced. He is pretty good in the redzone as well. The Steelers relied on running the ball and defense, Roethlisberger just had to pick up 3rd downs, make an occasional play with his legs and be smart in the redzone. And he did it as well as any young player in recent memory. Jacoby can be that guy.

Keep in mind.......

The Colts are averaging 22 a game, so far.

Adam Vinatieri has cost them 9 easy points.

That would bring our average to 26.5 a game.

On one of the Vinatieri misses, the play before that, Ebron dropped a TD pass (questionable call as well) Jacoby hit him right in the hands with. Add another 4 points to that. 

That brings our average to 28.5 a game. We have played two quality teams on the road, both in their home openers. And it's not like the defense forced a bunch of turnovers and we got lucky to have the ball on scoring position.  This is legit, running the offense and converting third downs, driving the ball down the field, and finishing the drives with TDs. Hes overcome penalties at times as well. There hasnt been a bunch of blown coverages against bottom dwellers. Jacoby has lead these drives under unfavorable conditions. We are gonna win a lot of games if we can score 28.5 a game.

Jacoby has managed the offense about as well as you could expect. We are just so much more balanced than ever before and are use to pass heavy offense, relying on superb QB play.....we dont appreciate what hes done thru these first two games, nearly enough, as fans. This is a different type of team, but we can absolutely score the ball enough to beat elite teams. One drive it might be a long run. One drive it might be a play action pass to TY. One drive it might be a lot of over the middle stuff to TEs and the running game mixed together. One game we might get points from the defense, or a bunch of turnovers.......In some ways we might be more dangerous and harder to prepare for, than ever before. 

Can we stop elite teams? That's the real question. I think we are getting there, but not quite, yet. Our front 7 is missing their version of Quenton Nelson. They need the guy that sets the physical tone for the entire unit and helps them control the LOS. 

I didn’t even think of Big Ben.  Your right. This is a great post.

• Thanks 1