Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Imgrandojji

Is Chad Kelly now a trade asset? (merge)

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

 

 

Jets were the first team I thought of. I saw Siemian go down and Luke Falk get the reps on MNF. Jets have a week 4 bye, and have the time to get him acquainted if they acquire him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do the Jets have that we would like in return?  I wouldn't mind picking up a veteran wideout if we can snag one.

 

Demayrius Thomas perhaps?  They brought him in as a target for Darnold but have no earthly use for him right now.  If Ballard thinks we're a division contender, picking up a strong veteran as a stopgap until Funchess can take the field again makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

What do the Jets have that we would like in return?  I wouldn't mind picking up a veteran wideout if we can snag one.

 

Demayrius Thomas perhaps?  They brought him in as a target for Darnold but have no earthly use for him right now.  If Ballard thinks we're a division contender, picking up a strong veteran as a stopgap until Funchess can take the field again makes sense.

 

Bilal Powell might be expendable out there with Ty Montgomery signed out there, so we can do a swap and improve our receiving back depth, to be honest. Outside Nyheim Hines, I don't think Mack or Wilkins qualify as stellar receiving options from the RB position.

 

Plus it is not like they are going to give you much in return. Don't expect Leonard Williams or Quinnen Williams. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

What do the Jets have that we would like in return?  I wouldn't mind picking up a veteran wideout if we can snag one.

 

Demayrius Thomas perhaps?  They brought him in as a target for Darnold but have no earthly use for him right now.  If Ballard thinks we're a division contender, picking up a strong veteran as a stopgap until Funchess can take the field again makes sense.

 

Kelly + a middling pick for Leonard Williams?

 

The season is going nowhere fast for that team and Williams is an impending FA...and the Colts have a ton of cap space and could use a stud DL player.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

Kelly + a middling pick for Leonard Williams?

 

The season is going nowhere fast for that team and Williams is an impending FA...and the Colts have a ton of cap space and could use a stud DL player.

pretty sure he's injured.  I think he blew his hip if I recall right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trevor Siemian is out for the year and Sam Darnold could miss a few weeks due to mono.

 

100% certain the Jets will claim Kelly if he is cut. We should be able to get some kind of trade done, IMO. A 6th rounder and Bilal Powell for Kelly??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is taking too long.  Something must be up. The longer it goes the more it looks like a trade or going on the 53.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

It's almost got to be a trade.  The market will never be better than it is right now

 

True. We got him for nothing and we get something in return in a trade, nothing wrong with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This is taking too long.  Something must be up. The longer it goes the more it looks like a trade or going on the 53.  

 

11 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

It's almost got to be a trade.  The market will never be better than it is right now

Agreed on both fronts. Though I think keeping him is the best option unless we're gonna get a 4/5 or higher pick.  A 6/7th would be dumb

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Trevor Siemian is out for the year and Sam Darnold could miss a few weeks due to mono.

 

100% certain the Jets will claim Kelly if he is cut. We should be able to get some kind of trade done, IMO. A 6th rounder and Bilal Powell for Kelly??

I think only the 6th rounder is more likely.   Possibly a 5th from a desperate Jets team.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think only the 6th rounder is more likely.   Possibly a 5th from a desperate Jets team.   

 

A 6th rounder with a player can happen. If it is a 5th rounder, we won't get a player in all likelihood. A trade for Joe Flacco for a 4th rounder has shot down the QB trade market, and the realist in me would have to settle for a 6th rounder, it seems like. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What is the deadline on the decision?

 

Kelly is officially on the “exempt/commissioner permission” list, the Colts have a little bit of time to put that plan into action. Yesterday, on the Round Table Live on 1070 The Fan, Reich said over the next 24-48 hours. So it could go into tomorrow.

 

https://www.colts.com/news/chad-kelly-decision-jabaal-sheard-return

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Kelly is officially on the “exempt/commissioner permission” list, the Colts have a little bit of time to put that plan into action. Yesterday, on the Round Table Live on 1070 The Fan, Reich said over the next 24-48 hours. So it could go into tomorrow.

 

https://www.colts.com/news/chad-kelly-decision-jabaal-sheard-return

 

Why were they able to put him on the commish list?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Why were they able to put him on the commish list?

 

Probably because of the suspension handed out by the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would Hoyer bring more value in a trade than Kelly?  I can see the Jets wanting Hoyer more because you have a veteran to mentor Darnold when he comes back rather than a potential rival...  If Hoyer is more desirable what could we get from teams?  Be it picks and/or player?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chad72 said:

 

A 6th rounder with a player can happen. If it is a 5th rounder, we won't get a player in all likelihood. A trade for Joe Flacco for a 4th rounder has shot down the QB trade market, and the realist in me would have to settle for a 6th rounder, it seems like. :) 

while I agree, lets not forget that the Flacco trade happened well before all these QBs went down. If that were to happen this week, I would bet the Flacco deal would have been somewhat greater

49 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Kelly is officially on the “exempt/commissioner permission” list, the Colts have a little bit of time to put that plan into action. Yesterday, on the Round Table Live on 1070 The Fan, Reich said over the next 24-48 hours. So it could go into tomorrow.

 

https://www.colts.com/news/chad-kelly-decision-jabaal-sheard-return

 

 

44 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Why were they able to put him on the commish list?

 

39 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Probably because of the suspension handed out by the league.

ESPN radio this AM said the colts requested him to be put on the exempt list and Goodel obliged. No further details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Kelly is officially on the “exempt/commissioner permission” list, the Colts have a little bit of time to put that plan into action. Yesterday, on the Round Table Live on 1070 The Fan, Reich said over the next 24-48 hours. So it could go into tomorrow.

 

https://www.colts.com/news/chad-kelly-decision-jabaa

56 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Kelly is officially on the “exempt/commissioner permission” list, the Colts have a little bit of time to put that plan into action. Yesterday, on the Round Table Live on 1070 The Fan, Reich said over the next 24-48 hours. So it could go into tomorrow.

 

https://www.colts.com/news/chad-kelly-decision-jabaal-sheard-return

 

l-sheard-return

 

I wonder if this was to give time to entertain trade offers?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would any team trade a backup QB after what we have seen so far with 14 games to go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so we are going from Kelly is trash and cant replace the so far average JB to let's throw him in in a Leonard Williams Jamal Adam's or Jalen Ramsey trade since he could possibly be a starter lmao the good ol colts forum never ceases to amaze me 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

so we are going from Kelly is trash and cant replace the so far average JB to let's throw him in in a Leonard Williams Jamal Adam's or Jalen Ramsey trade since he could possibly be a starter lmao the good ol colts forum never ceases to amaze me 

Those saying that are delusional

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Those saying that are delusional

Which? The starter quality sayers or the trash sayers? Or both

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mad dog curtis said:

is there a time limit colts have to announce what they are going to do with chad kelly

Scroll down... there’s a chad Kelly thread that answers this already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2019 at 11:22 AM, Imgrandojji said:

Brees and Foles are now out, as is Darnold.  Roethlisberger may need Tommy John.  That's 3-4 teams in need of either a starter or a backup QB.  Other QB such as Trubisky and Winston are struggling hard, and TB in particular may be looking to move on soon.

 

Spots are opening up for QBs right now.

 

I'm sure other teams were watching Chad Kelly have a solid preseason. I wonder if Ballard is getting any inquiries.  If he is, with Brissett showing some promise of at least looking like a competitive QB, and Hoyer serving as an unofficial second coach in the backup role, I wonder whether we couldn't swing a trade to bring in something of value from one of the teams hurting for QB depth right now.

 

Worth thinking about.

 

If so, where would you look?  Would you go for a kicker to give our special teams a shot in the arm/give AV some competition?  Maybe some additional WR depth or another RB?  Look for a talented DB who isn't getting the playing time he deserves?  

 

Either way I trust Ballard to do the right thing, but we do have some spots to shore up, and it's vanishingly unlikely that Kelly is going to play a down for us this year, so you have to give it at least some thought if you can find a taker for Kelly's obvious talent.

Eli was just benched 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They could trade hoyer and have kelly as backup  or trade kelly, or keep both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's simple.

 

If Kelly had a chance to develop in the field, he might turn into a great asset.

 

The problem is that Brissett gives you a much better chance to win any given game and while we can still fight for the playoffs that matters.

 

A team with a lost season like the Jets or Jags could roll the dice on Kelly and give him the time he  needs to learn on the job.  OUR season is NOT lost and we need to act accordingly.

 

While we're still fighting for the playoffs, we really can't develop Kelly.  This prevents us from taking full advantage of Kelly in the same way a team with nothing to play for could. 

 

The Jets could start Kelly right now, get him going in the hopes that he makes progress and is able to lead the team in future years.  We're trying to compete EVERY year, we really can't do that.

 

Thus, Kelly has more value for a bad team than he does right now for us, a middling team that's trying to get better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

it's simple.

 

If Kelly had a chance to develop in the field, he might turn into a great asset.

 

The problem is that Brissett gives you a much better chance to win any given game and while we can still fight for the playoffs that matters.

 

A team with a lost season like the Jets or Jags could roll the dice on Kelly and give him the time he  needs to learn on the job.  OUR season is NOT lost and we need to act accordingly.

 

While we're still fighting for the playoffs, we really can't develop Kelly.  This prevents us from taking full advantage of Kelly in the same way a team with nothing to play for could. 

 

The Jets could start Kelly right now, get him going in the hopes that he makes progress and is able to lead the team in future years.  We're trying to compete EVERY year, we really can't do that.

 

Thus, Kelly has more value for a bad team than he does right now for us, a middling team that's trying to get better.

Lol. The jets have their future guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Lol. The jets have their future guy.

I'm really not sold on Darnold.  Even without this recent illness, which came at the absolute worst possible time for him, Darnold really hasn't developed very much since he was drafted.  Hedging one's bets makes a certain amount of sense in New Jersey right now.

 

That said, even without NYJ there's some teams that are in flux at the quarterback position.  TB and JAX both come to mind almost immediately.  Winston is falling out of favor fast and nobody thinks Minchew is the long term answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

What do the Jets have that we would like in return?  I wouldn't mind picking up a veteran wideout if we can snag one.

 

Demayrius Thomas perhaps?  They brought him in as a target for Darnold but have no earthly use for him right now.  If Ballard thinks we're a division contender, picking up a strong veteran as a stopgap until Funchess can take the field again makes sense.

Jamal Adams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I'm really not sold on Darnold.  Even without this recent illness, which came at the absolute worst possible time for him, Darnold really hasn't developed very much since he was drafted.  Hedging one's bets makes a certain amount of sense in New Jersey right now.

 

That said, even without NYJ there's some teams that are in flux at the quarterback position.  TB and JAX both come to mind almost immediately.  Winston is falling out of favor fast and nobody thinks Minchew is the long term answer.

Darnold is literally in the same spot at JB yet you love him

 

Darnold just happens to be on one of the worst teams in the league 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Darnold is literally in the same spot at JB yet you love him

 

Bong water effect. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Darnold is literally in the same spot at JB yet you love him

 

Really not the case.  I agree he doesn't have a good roster around him but your argument falls flat immediately when you compare turnover rates.

 

Darnold is a bit over 1 to 1, TD to INT.  Brissett, on perhaps an even worse team on paper (on D, no OL) was nearly 2 to 1

 

The talent is similar, with perhaps an edge to Darnold, but Brissett makes way better decisions with the football.

 

Believe me, if Brissett had been as much in the habit of handing footballs to the other team as Darnold is right now I'd not be anywhere near as ardent in backing him.  I consider that ratio one of the most important in discussing a QB's contributions because taking care of the rock is the #1 job of a quarterback.  Darnold doesn't do it well.  Even in the absolute worst case scenario in 2017, Brissett  did.  That's the difference as I see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

Really not the case.  I agree he doesn't have a good roster around him but your argument falls flat immediately when you compare turnover rates.

 

Darnold is a bit over 1 to 1, TD to INT.  Brissett, on perhaps an even worse team on paper (on D, no OL) was nearly 2 to 1

 

The talent is similar, with perhaps an edge to Darnold, but Brissett makes way better decisions with the football.

 

Believe me, if Brissett had been as much in the habit of handing footballs to the other team as Darnold is right now I'd not be anywhere near as ardent in backing him.  I consider that ratio one of the most important in discussing a QB's contributions because taking care of the rock is the #1 job of a quarterback.  Darnold doesn't do it well.  Even in the absolute worst case scenario in 2017, Brissett  did.  That's the difference as I see it.

yeah Darnold actually throws the ball downfield 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

yeah Darnold actually throws the ball downfield 

and puts his team at a disadvantage by doing so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

and puts his team at a disadvantage by doing so.

well of course you will throw less picks when every pass is 5 yards or less 

I'm like 90% you're related to JB you only showed up after he became the starter. and you pump him up more than anyone not named chloe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

well of course you will throw less picks when every pass is 5 yards or less

And yet Brissett has exactly as many TDs as Darnold.  Currently tied at 18  And he didn't have to give away footballs like it was gridiron Christmas to do it.

 

Brissett is not only better than Darnold, he's WAY better.  The only valid argument in favor of Darnold is potential upside.   Which we have seen nowhere on a football field yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • another project lower round draft pick with a lot of dropped passes, was in the low rounds for a reason, fast but couldnt catch the ball
    • It took me a while getting used to foreign slang, sarcasm, and other stuff, but it is fun.    I still watch a lot of UK, Irish, and other TV programming. I prefer their dramas and noirs to most of US standard programming. 
    • It's a risk benefit decision. Do you want a QB that raises the level of your WRs and removes stress form your D, or a QB that lowers the level of your WRs and adds stress to your OL (time to throw) and requires your D to play perfect.....  
    • If we win next week and Houston loses, we would once again be in the lead in the South, as crazy as that sounds. Hypothetically, let’s say we win and the cows lose In order of tiebreakers: 1. Record- 7-5 v 7-5, next tiebreaker 2. Head to Head- 1-1 v 1-1, next tiebreaker 3. Division Record- 4-1 (I) v 3-1 (H) Well hot damn, somehow we may escape this impending doom. There’s my glimmer of hope for this season I’ve been searching for    
    • Expecting JB to perform like Luck is just plain silly.  There is a huge difference talent wise between the two.  2017s team was garbage.  2018 team developed nicely and Luck took advantage with TY, Inman a veteran who was signed off the street, and Ebron who had a great year.  This year it's TY and that's it and he's missed three games and played hurt last night.  Everyone else is nothing special due to the injuries.  No real weapons for JB.  Plain and simple. 
  • Members

    • Boiler_Colt

      Boiler_Colt 3,736

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Superman

      Superman 35,458

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Fisticuffs111

      Fisticuffs111 2,134

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ShakerColt

      ShakerColt 3

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • OffensivelyPC

      OffensivelyPC 5,584

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • stitches

      stitches 5,970

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • colt18

      colt18 308

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • FRW

      FRW 71

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ReMeDy

      ReMeDy 2,737

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Indyfan4life

      Indyfan4life 1,225

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...