Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly decision today?

Lucky Wolf

4 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

we arent bearing them with JB not beating KC either with pat throwing 5 TDs a game 

I agree with you that the Pats are going to be tough, probably beyond us this year.

The Chiefs on the other hand -- are a lot more mortal than they look so far this year.

They have plated the Jaguars and the Raiders.  Not exactly the cream of the league.  They have yet to face any team with a semblance of strength and balance.

They honestly remind me a lot of some of those later Manning-era Colts teams that were all style and no substance and never won anything because they focused too much on Manning and not enough on, you know, being a team.

That defense is beatable.  I think that offense is containable.  I think our pass rush can pressure Mahomes and grind him down.  I think our running game can beat that defense.

In short -- I give us a chance.  We're underdogs against the chiefs but certainly all is not lost before a single snap is played.

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

I get the feeling people around here would rather see 350 yards passing 2 td’s & 3 ints in a loss rather than 146 yards passing 3 td’s & 1 int in a win.

When Luck throws for 150 & a TD: "Finally... a balanced scheme & a solid rushing attack that doesn't force Andrew to carry the team at all times & take unnecessary risks! This is awesome!"

When Brissett throws for 150 & 3TDs, & Colts RBs tally up 200 yards rushing: "We need to start Chad Kelly."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

When Brissett throws for 150 & 3TDs, & Colts RBs tally up 200 yards rushing: "We need to start Chad Kelly."

Only 5 teams had fewer yards than we did.

The offense would be a hell of alot better with a more effective QB. JB isn’t the answer. Great dude. Great teammate. Great leader. Average to below average QB.

We aren’t winning a playoff game with JB.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

When Luck throws for 150 & a TD: "Finally... a balanced scheme & a solid rushing attack that doesn't force Andrew to carry the team at all times & take unnecessary risks! This is awesome!"

Bad,bad, bad analogy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

I agree with you that the Pats are going to be tough, probably beyond us this year.

The Chiefs on the other hand -- are a lot more mortal than they look so far this year.

They have plated the Jaguars and the Raiders.  Not exactly the cream of the league.  They have yet to face any team with a semblance of strength and balance.

They honestly remind me a lot of some of those later Manning-era Colts teams that were all style and no substance and never won anything because they focused too much on Manning and not enough on, you know, being a team.

That defense is beatable.  I think that offense is containable.  I think our pass rush can pressure Mahomes and grind him down.  I think our running game can beat that defense.

In short -- I give us a chance.  We're underdogs against the chiefs but certainly all is not lost before a single snap is played.

The Chiefs are beatable for the very reasons you give.   I don't consider them a powerhouse.  There good but they're beatable.  Let's see how they handle some quality teams.  The Pats haven't really played anybody either.  A beatdown of powerhouse Miami?  Talk about overreaction Monday.  And the Ravens are supposed to be good?  Why?  Who have they beat?  This league is wide open especially the AFC.  There is a long way to go.  

1 hour ago, Lennon1940 said:

Probably would have kept us from having to depend on a 4th and 1 conversion to win the game.

Imagine if we had a QB capable of those sort of numbers to accompany our defense.

I agree, the Tampa 2 is best if we can get large leads on our opponents.  That is hard to do with 150 passing yards.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The Chiefs are beatable for the very reasons you give.   I don't consider them a powerhouse.  There good but they're beatable.  Let's see how they handle some quality teams.  The Pats haven't really played anybody either.  A beatdown of powerhouse Miami?  Talk about overreaction Monday.  And the Ravens are supposed to be good?  Why?  Who have they beat?  This league is wide open especially the AFC.  There is a long way to go.  

Yep.  Early times yet.  We're right in the thick of the fight after splitting the road trip  Just gotta keep executing.

1 hour ago, Lennon1940 said:

Probably would have kept us from having to depend on a 4th and 1 conversion to win the game.

Imagine if we had a QB capable of those sort of numbers to accompany our defense.

The Colts did, he retired.  Shocked us all, if I remember correctly.  Jacoby so far has done well.  Nobody is confusing him with a top 10 qb but give the guy a little credit.  Hes been productive when it matters.  He made that 4th and 1 conversion for example......

• Like 1

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Defense looked pretty good in the second half, and we didn't have a large lead 

I am not saying the Tampa 2 can not be a stingy defense in a close game, just that it was designed to limit big plays.  If you have a large lead then it forces teams to throw and march down the field without a big play.  This works cohesively if you have an offense that can put up points in a hurry.

2 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

The Colts did, he retired.  Shocked us all, if I remember correctly.  Jacoby so far has done well.  Nobody is confusing him with a top 10 qb but give the guy a little credit.  Hes been productive when it matters.  He made that 4th and 1 conversion for example......

Brissett has accomplished everything Coach Reich has asked of him so far.

I think the Colts' brass are way more impressed with JB7 than most of the fans seem to be :p

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I get the feeling people around here would rather see 350 yards passing 2 td’s & 3 ints in a loss rather than 146 yards passing 3 td’s & 1 int in a win.

Not at all.  I think some fAns just want to see that he can run a high powered offense in case it is needed at some point.  Everyone was so excited about the weapons we had - Hilton, Campbell, Cain, Ebron, Doyle, Cox, Funchess, Hines and a very good line.  I don't mind the way we are playing so far, but I'm not sold on the offence can score enough to beat the Cheifs.  

Just now, Myles said:

Not at all.  I think some fAns just want to see that he can run a high powered offense in case it is needed at some point.  Everyone was so excited about the weapons we had - Hilton, Campbell, Cain, Ebron, Doyle, Cox, Funchess, Hines and a very good line.  I don't mind the way we are playing so far, but I'm not sold on the offence can score enough to beat the Cheifs.  

What team other than the Patriots would be a favorite against KC?

• Like 1

I do.  Not you, but it's definitely happened today.

I mean nevermind that Reich wants a running, grinding, physical team or that Brissett is a pretty good QB for a running, grinding, physical team.  We need to be a running, grinding, physical team that also throws doe 300 yards every game  Because realistic expectations.

27 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

we arent bearing them with JB not beating KC either with pat throwing 5 TDs a game 

How many times did Luck beat the Patriots or Mahomes?  Over the course of his career not just last year?  The answer is none.  Zero.  In fact, he often played terrible in those games.  But I bet you think Luck was gonna get it done this year though right?  Luck & all the other QB’s currently in the league putting up hollow stats (lots of yards, turnovers, & losses) get the benefit of the doubt but JB doesn’t even though he’s winning & playing effectively...

Tell you what, I would defintiely rather have JB7 than Jameis Winston and all his empty yardage.

You get big yardage by taking big risks.  Reich is all about managing risk.  This is one of the reasons he really hasn't turned JB7 loose.  We could throw bombs, connect with some and give the ball away a lot.  To an extent that's part of what doomed us with Brissett in 2017.  Reich wants a more predictable, physical grinding style of football that plays well into the idea of having a game managing QB.  I think that can work.  And it's certainly worked in the past with guys like Joe Flacco and 2015 Peyton

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

YOU DON'T?   There are a lot of people saying it.  

I must have missed them.   Or I just ignore them.  This is JB's team.  I think he is capable of running this offense.  I'm just unsure if he can put up big passing games if needed.  Hopefully he won't have to, but I think he will.  I think he can with these weapons, I'm just not sure.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Only 5 teams had fewer yards than we did.

The offense would be one hell of a lot better with a more effective QB. JB isn’t the answer. Great dude. Great teammate. Great leader. Average to below average QB.

We aren’t winning a playoff game with JB.

But should the Colts trust a dude who calls himself Swag, full of talent, yet at age 25 hasn't even thrown his first pass in an NFL regular season game?

I Made This Mistake of Trusting A Guy Known has Swag Kelly

By: Tully Corcoran | October 23, 2018 1:19 pm ET

"Boy oh boy do I have egg on my face now. Since before this season even started, I’ve been banging the drum for Chad Kelly to be the starting quarterback in Denver.

He looked great in the preseason!

On Sept. 18, I wrote that it was going to be Chad “Swag” Kelly time in six weeks. Multiple people tried to warn me not to write that column.

“Never trust a juco guy,” they said.

“The guy goes by ‘Swag’, dude,” they said. “It’s not going to work out.”

But I was a juco guy. I couldn’t turn my back on one of my own. Besides, what does a nickname have to do with anything? It was all lined up. Keenum was throwing more interceptions than touchdowns and the media and fans were talking more and more about Kelly. Hell, a radio station in Denver asked to interview me on the air about this.

And I’d like to point out that technically speaking I was right when I said we were six weeks from Swag Kelly time. I just didn’t realize I was talking about time behind bars.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/10/23/i-made-this-mistake-of-trusting-a-guy-known-as-swag-kelly/  

He Does Bring a Different Type of Swag!

"I have it all. I might not have the same mojo as your basic quarterback, but I feel like I bring a different type of swag to the team and the players around me," Kelly told MMQB. "I have friends all across that field. When I go out there on the field, I play with a different attitude that you usually don't see in a quarterback. I play with a swag they've never seen before."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000728175/article/ole-miss-chad-kelly-draft-me-for-my-swag

Swag has a rap song about himself!

At 0:42: "My momma birthed out a winner. I'm just looking for dinner!" 

Just now, Myles said:

I must have missed them.   Or I just ignore them.  This is JB's team.  I think he is capable of running this offense.  I'm just unsure if he can put up big passing games if needed.  Hopefully he won't have to, but I think he will.  I think he can with these weapons, I'm just not sure.  

Fair enough. And we’re definitely gonna have to put it up 30 plus times sometime this year.  But there’s something in the way Frank is calling the games that has me thinking this is our identity & we’re gonna make teams play our kind of game.  

Then once they have enough film on us & think they know what we’re gonna do, we’re gonna hit them with early play action (like we did against Titans).  But then we’re gonna run it down their throats the 2nd half like usual.  Frank wants this OLine used to grinding for a full 4 quarters. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

But should the Colts trust a dude who calls himself Swag, full of talent, yet at age 25 hasn't even thrown his first pass in an NFL regular season game?

I Made This Mistake of Trusting A Guy Known has Swag Kelley

By: Tully Corcoran | October 23, 2018 1:19 pm ET

"Boy oh boy do I have egg on my face now. Since before this season even started, I’ve been banging the drum for Chad Kelly to be the starting quarterback in Denver.

He looked great in the preseason!

On Sept. 18, I wrote that it was going to be Chad “Swag” Kelly time in six weeks. Multiple people tried to warn me not to write that column.

“Never trust a juco guy,” they said.

“The guy goes by ‘Swag’, dude,” they said. “It’s not going to work out.”

But I was a juco guy. I couldn’t turn my back on one of my own. Besides, what does a nickname have to do with anything? It was all lined up. Keenum was throwing more interceptions than touchdowns and the media and fans were talking more and more about Kelly. Hell, a radio station in Denver asked to interview me on the air about this.

And I’d like to point out that technically speaking I was right when I said we were six weeks from Swag Kelly time. I just didn’t realize I was talking about time behind bars.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/10/23/i-made-this-mistake-of-trusting-a-guy-known-as-swag-kelly/  

He Does Bring a Different Type of Swag!

"I have it all. I might not have the same mojo as your basic quarterback, but I feel like I bring a different type of swag to the team and the players around me," Kelly told MMQB. "I have friends all across that field. When I go out there on the field, I play with a different attitude that you usually don't see in a quarterback. I play with a swag they've never seen before."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000728175/article/ole-miss-chad-kelly-draft-me-for-my-swag

Swag has a rap song about himself!

At 0:42: "My momma birthed out a winner. I'm just looking for dinner!" 

Not trust him as the starter, but trust him as a 3rd string QB with potential back up QB.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Tell you what, I would defintiely rather have JB7 than Jameis Winston and all his empty yardage.

You get big yardage by taking big risks.  Reich is all about managing risk.  This is one of the reasons he really hasn't turned JB7 loose.  We could throw bombs, connect with some and give the ball away a lot.  To an extent that's part of what doomed us with Brissett in 2017.  Reich wants a more predictable, physical grinding style of football that plays well into the idea of having a game managing QB.  I think that can work.  And it's certainly worked in the past with guys like Joe Flacco and 2015 Peyton

Winston is improving this year...I would take him over Brissett in a heartbeat.

2 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

Winston is improving this year...I would take him over Brissett in a heartbeat.

Really?  Not me.  Bridgett still has potential going for him, so his ceiling is higher.  Winston is on his last Chance with his current team.  

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

and I can guarantee you we aren't rushing for 200 yards against BB everyone can dream of that all they want I guess 

So the Pats allowed 113 yds/game on the ground last season. They have allowed 37/game this season. Doesn't sound like many teams are going to rack up 200. What's your point?

2 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

Brissett has no ceiling...none, zero, nada. You've seen it.

@Myles. Here's one

Just now, krunk said:

I don't see anybody stopping New England this year unless Brown gets stopped by all the legal stuff and Gordon goes back in the junkie zone. 

Even then,   they are the favorite

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

So the Pats allowed 113 yds/game on the ground last season. They have allowed 37/game this season. Doesn't sound like many teams are going to rack up 200. What's your point?

More to the point I don't really see why we should be comparing ourselves to the Patriots right now anyway.  We aren't immediate Superbowl contenders right now.  We are playoff contenders, but we're not really talking about needing to gear up and win the whole enchilada this year.

At the earliest, our Superbowl window would start next year.  It would take a storybook season to put us anywhere in the running for the Bowl  before then.  Not impossible but realistically....  I'd be happy just making it to January.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

How many times did Luck beat the Patriots or Mahomes?  Over the course of his career not just last year?  The answer is none.  Zero.  In fact, he often played terrible in those games.  But I bet you think Luck was gonna get it done this year though right?  Luck & all the other QB’s currently in the league putting up hollow stats (lots of yards, turnovers, & losses) get the benefit of the doubt but JB doesn’t even though he’s winning & playing effectively...

when did luck have this team? 

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

@Myles. Here's one

Even then,   they are the favorite

I think people are putting us into only 2 groups when it needs to be much more.

Not just pro Brissett and anti Brissett.

Should be:

Think Brissett is a top 10 NFL QB

Think Brissett is a top 20 QB

Think Brisset still needs to prove himself

Thinks Brissett is just a 1 year fill in

Think Brissett sucks