Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Future with JB as QB

MikeCurtis

I have been a big supporter of JB

I was one of the few that felt he might be worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick to someone

(when we had Luck).... Until the legendary MPStack finally wore me down  

The question I have is, can JB lead us to a SB?

There will be games that we have to get to 35 to win.

It will be tough to get to 35 points, the way we are set up.

I think we will get to 9-7 or 10-6 this year with JB.

But....... KC and NE will be tough to beat to get out of the AFC

This team is set up to win the AFC south, but........  

I dont see us getting past teams that can pass for 300 yards if needed

To win with what we have - MUSTS

We will need to run the ball (keeps the clock moving, and other team's score down) - YES

We will need to make few turnovers - YES

We will need to have excellent special teams play - NO

We will need to create turnovers - Partial

We will need to stuff the run on defense - Partial

We will need to keep the big passes under control - Yes

We will need to tackle well - Partial

We will need to rush the passer - Partial

If we can say YES on all these MUSTS, we can potentially beat anyone

If we DONT complete these 'MUSTS'  we will lose, with JB as QB

If you have an elite QB, you can actually still win if you do SOME of these 'MUSTS' 

This will be an interesting year.

Lets hope this team rises to the occasion, as I feel this is the best overall team that Indy has ever had (with exception of QB spot)

Still a JB supporter!

Lets hope that the playoffs give us sloppy weather, where a running attack is very valuable, and an elite, pin-point QB is marginalized

(remember Peyton in the playoffs, in the cold windy days?)

• Like 3

This team is still deadly with our improved D I'm not sure how many shootouts we will be in JB can lead us to 10-6 and even a wildcard win but if we want to go further the offense needs to open up and let JB use his cannon he seems uncomfortable with so many underneath throws the ball he threw deep to Cain yesterday wouldve been caught without the DPI and then we didnt go deep the rest of the game

Luck couldn't lead us to one so what's really the point with these type threads?

It's not that easy and there's no correct formula. You just hope you have a competent GM that can hopefully get you to January. Teams like Balt and Pitt (off the top of my head I can think of) is who you ideally want to be like. Teams that draft good talent and replace them when needed.

If any fanbase should want to go away from the QB as top dog it's us, 20 years and one SB. The stud QB as the savior is nonsense.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IinD said:

Luck couldn't lead us to one so what's really the point with these type threads?

It's not that easy and there's no correct formula. You just hope you have a competent GM that can hopefully get you to January. Teams like Balt and Pitt (off the top of my head I can think of) is who you ideally want to be like. Teams that draft good talent and replace them when needed.

If any fanbase should want to go away from the QB as top dog it's us, 20 years and one SB. The stud QB as the savior is nonsense.

This is nonsense.  If you don't have a franchise QB then you have to have a historically good defense to win.  

• Like 6

Jacoby played pretty good the first game, this game he didn't play as good.  

I think he's sort of the guy who can lead a good team to a decent season. (Like Alex Smith or Ryan Fitzpatrick)  But he doesn't seem to have the talent to take over a game, or at the very least he hasn't displayed that yet.  

Maybe he needs time and more opportunity.  I'm sure he will get that.  But I'm not seeing him as the long term answer.  

• Like 4

Guess what?  Our defense is looking very, very good right now.

Also, we're judging Brissett as an unfinished product after having played 2 games on the road against very tough defenses.  There's a lot of positives here, especially since he was able to take on 2 very good defenses and do enough to win each time.

this kid isn't Andrew Luck, and he isn't Peyon Manning, but the guy he might just be is 2001 Tom Brady.  The guy with a lot of learning still to do who still sometimes had to be carried by the D and RB corps, but with poise, intelligence, and a knack for delivering in the clutch.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bhougland said:

This is nonsense.  If you don't have a franchise QB then you have to have a historically good defense to win.  

Yeah, you've got to build it by drafting. 

This team isn't complete.

Plugging in a great QB doesn't guarantee crap.

JB needs some time guys. Reich is playing very conservative offense right now while JB gets the real game experience. Its been awhile for him. 

Brissett will have to be evaluated over a much larger group of games, against various defenses, before you can say with confidence what he will be as a starting NFL QB. 

What he is: a solid leader who has the team's full support; he has a big, big arm; he can scramble;  he's smart and he's learning every day. 

What he isn't: an elite passer; a high level reader of defensive schemes; fully confident in making the deep throw. 

He has the ability to grow into a solid NFL QB. That's all you can ask at this point. And its far better than praying for a miracle on the crap shoot known as the draft when it comes to QBs. Give him a season to grow and see what you have. I'm guessing this Board will be happy with Jacoby Brissett after this season and relieved he's under team control for the immediate future. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Guess what?  Our defense is looking very, very good right now.

I dont think we are THAT good, at least not yet

This Atlanta game will give some guidance on how good this defense is

With the zones (and some man mixed in) we have had problems with pin point passers

Ryan is a pinpoint passer

If we can shut him down, I think that our defense, may be actually very good.... but maybe not very, very good :)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

Yet we're 1-1....and a missed FG from being 2-0 on the road to start the season.

We're playing underwhelming teams right now. What happens when we play KC and NO? If it's not even close, Jacoby's ability as a passer will undoubtedly be in question. We'll see. I like Jacoby, and he's done better than I anticipated. But after games, I come way thinking he's just fine. Not a guy that will implode, but not a guy that really sets himself apart from the crowd.

1 hour ago, DerekDiggler said:

We're dead last in passing at 147 yds per game.   

Colts are 4th in TDs ........................ 5

Colts are 8th in Comp % ........... 69.1

Colts are 9th in QB rating ....... 107.8

Colts are 7th in 3rd down % ..... 52%

Colts are 11th in 1st downs ....... 21.5 per game

It's not about passing yards. It's about moving the chains and scoring TDs.

And by the way, Brissett gets all the credit for the 46 yd PI call because he threw the ball where only the receiver could catch it, and would have caught it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

At this point, I can't even imagine him throwing for 300 yards.  

I have been impressed with him leading the team.   

It's only been 2 games, but even without Funchess, this offense is loaded with talent and the passing yards are just not there.   As long as we keep winning it won't be a big deal.   However, at some point he'll need to throw the ball more.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

We're playing underwhelming teams right now. 

We really aren't.  Both the Titans and the Chargers are playoff regulars.  Both are above the level we were expected to be this year.  both have strong defenses that are well positioned to keep Brissett off balance.  And he still did enough on his own end to win both of those games.

We played teams better than us on paper, in their buildings, and went 1-1, and only went 1-1 due to a massive failure on special teams.  That's respectable.

More to the point these are teams we could expect to meet in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs and they looked beatable.  Don't count us out sight unseen.  If Brissett improves -- and I mean improves at all -- our future's pretty darn bright.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Colts are 4th in TDs ........................ 5

Colts are 8th in Comp % ........... 69.1

Colts are 9th in QB rating ....... 107.8

Colts are 7th in 3rd down % ..... 52%

It's not about passing yards. It's about moving the chains and scoring TDs.

The passing yards discussion needs to be held in context that Reich is preferring to let the running game carry the field between the 20s.  One of the reasons the yards are so low is that Reich simply isn't asking Brissett to provide yardage.

IMOP if you have a good running game and a decent threat at WR and TE which if every has noticed the colts do have. Then the QB will have time to catch up. The QB and the First string players are actually going into their third game together as a unit. instead of throwing the QB under the bus for not being a elite lets see where he takes us and then reevaluate at the end of the season. All I have heard from the forum is everyone upset about not having a elite QB like Peyton  who will take this team to the promise land. The defense are missing a couple of key people who will be back, but are playing well. this team is 1-1 and a couple of kicks away from 2-0 and someone has already mentioned that the other teams had under achieved.  I will wait and see what happens then give my review of JB at the end of the season. 

• Like 4

Just now, aaron11 said:

i dont see him winning a super bowl.  that would have been hard with Luck, probably not possible or realistic with JB 

We really can't judge that unless we have at least a full season with JB7 and Reich and see what they figure out.  Right now we're in very early stages, we aren't even in a position to evaluate what Brissett actually is until we see a lot more.  Players have surprised us with their true ceiling before.

43 minutes ago, IinD said:

I think the hardest pill to swallow is that we all thought this was the year Luck would win us a SB leading the helm. 

Now, it's going to be a lot more difficult, but not impossible. However, if Joe Flacco can win a SB, I think Brissett will be just fine! 

10 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

We're playing underwhelming teams right now. What happens when we play KC and NO? If it's not even close, Jacoby's ability as a passer will undoubtedly be in question. We'll see. I like Jacoby, and he's done better than I anticipated. But after games, I come way thinking he's just fine. Not a guy that will implode, but not a guy that really sets himself apart from the crowd.

The Chargers were 12-4 last year. Tennessee almost made the playoffs last year and just demolished a good browns team. Saying they are underwhelming teams is inaccurate. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

We really aren't.  Both the Titans and the Chargers are playoff regulars.  Both are above the level we were expected to be this year.  both have strong defenses that are well positioned to keep Brissett off balance.  And he still did enough on his own end to win both of those games.

We played teams better than us on paper, in their buildings, and went 1-1, and only went 1-1 due to a massive failure on special teams.  That's respectable.

More to the point these are teams we could expect to meet in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs and they looked beatable.  Don't count us out sight unseen.  If Brissett improves -- and I mean improves at all -- our future's pretty darn bright.

Titans have made the playoffs once in the last 10 years.  Chargers twice i nthe past 9.  Not really "regulars."  And whatever being "better" on paper means, it's the NFL and any team can win any given day, despite how a roster is composed.  

I'm not saying they're bad, good or whatever, except that "on paper," they have the same record as us and while the Titans looked good against Cleveland last week, they were unimpressive this week.  Which Titans are the real Titans?  I don't know, hence, underwhelming, at least the version we saw yesterday.  The Chargers played us closely, but they missed a ton of opportunities yesterday.  I think they had a turnover, interception maybe, when they had two TDs called back because of penalties. 

I'm not trying to naysay so much as be realistic about what Jacoby is doing.  He's serviceable.  Not a guy that's your first choice to lead your franchise.  I can't even say he's top 16.  If he's not cracked that list, our going to a super bowl while he's under center just does not seem very plausible.  Not this year anyway.  And if not ever with him, then we should start looking to replace him in next year's draft.  And thus far, unless he shows me something else, particularly against top tier competition, that's the direction we're headed.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

We really can't judge that unless we have at least a full season with JB7 and Reich and see what they figure out.  Right now we're in very early stages, we aren't even in a position to evaluate what Brissett actually is until we see a lot more.  Players have surprised us with their true ceiling before.

we have seen him for a full season though and he looks pretty similar to 2017.  Check the numbers if you dont believe that.

JB has a lot in common with Mariota, efficient game managers that can win with strong running game and defenses but most peopled dont believe they will win a ring.  im not even mad either i hope they do well this year but keep an eye on QBs in the draft or maybe FA

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

The Chargers were 12-4 last year. Tennessee almost made the playoffs last year and just demolished a good browns team. Saying they are underwhelming teams is inaccurate. 

Yet the chargers blew a lot of opportunities yesterday against the Lions and didn't look anything like last Sunday.  The Titans were 1 of 10 yesterday on 3rd downs and I don't think anyone could disagree with the fact that they did not look like the team that played the Browns last week.  There's really not much need to part and parse statistics.  They couldn't move the ball up and down the field like they did last week and while their defense bailed them out quite a bit against the Browns, that wasn't the case yesterday.  If you don't want to agree with me, fine.  But it doesn't take an advanced degree to see the difference between 19-17 and 43-13.  If you can't get on board with "underwhelming," you'd be of below average intelligence if you couldn't at least  call it "inconsistent."

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Myles said:

At this point, I can't even imagine him throwing for 300 yards.  

In 2017 Brissett thew for over 300 yards twice.

In Tom Brady's first full year he threw for over 300 once. 

In Ben Roethlisberger's first year he threw for 300 once.

Russell Wilson ... none.

Imagine that.

• Like 4

Flacco won a SB. Marino didn't. Trent Dilfer won one. Neither Jim Kelly or Warren Moon did. Rivers will be fitted for a gold jacket someday, and any SB he's been to he bought a ticket for. Enough with the elite QB needed to win SB crap. Teams win Super Bowls. This isn't basketball where one great player (see LeBron or MJ) can carry you. Tom Brady wouldn't have any rings if he'd spent his much shorter career in Cleveland or Cincinnati.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, egg said:

In 2017 Brissett thew for over 300 yards twice.

In Tom Brady's first full year he threw for over 300 once. 

In Ben Roethlisberger's first year he threw for 300 once.

that was a different era, especially for brady.  300 yards wasnt as common back then

thats a good point about wilson, if we gave JB a hof running back and the best defense in the league by far id believe he could win a super bowl then.

Mike,

Very nice post. I support JB as well, but don’t think he’s the future at QB for the Colts.

I don’t think he’s a good fit in F. Reich’s offense. His low passing yards doesn’t concern me as long as the Colts win. However, a lot more games like the Titans game will be concerning, because there are games every year that a QB has to carry their teams on their back for a win. I don’t know if JB can do that.

Does JB have to be an elite QB for the Colts to advance far? At the moment, I think he does, because the Colts don’t have one of those Ravens or Bucs defenses. 

Overall, I’m pleased with JB thus far, and the Colts SHOULD be 2-0. It’s still way to early in the season in determining how good or average Brissett is. The offense has far more weapons and a competent run game, than Luck ever had, so there is no reason for Brissett not being able to produce.  

I’m excited, cautiously optimistic and doubtful all rolled into one. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, FRW said:

Flacco won a SB. Marino didn't. Trent Dilfer won one. Neither Jim Kelly or Warren Moon did. Rivers will be fitted for a gold jacket someday, and any SB he's been to he bought a ticket for. Enough with the elite QB needed to win SB crap. Teams win Super Bowls. This isn't basketball where one great player (see LeBron or MJ) can carry you. Tom Brady wouldn't have any rings if he'd spent his much shorter career in Cleveland or Cincinnati.  

Didn't know you could get fitted gold jackets for the Hall of Very Good. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

I dont think we are THAT good, at least not yet

This Atlanta game will give some guidance on how good this defense is

With the zones (and some man mixed in) we have had problems with pin point passers

Ryan is a pinpoint passer

If we can shut him down, I think that our defense, may be actually very good.... but maybe not very, very good :)

I think we will be very good when Willis takes over at SS.

I’m being realistic this morning. Even if Jacoby gets it together and suddenly starts dropping 300/4 a game, we still have to deal with Brady and Mahomes. I know our defense appears to be better, and we’ve got guys that are injured at the moment, but I just don’t think this team is currently equipped to contend with those two. If Luck were still here and Vinny wasn’t missing every barn he’s kicking at, I would be far more inclined to agree we have the chance to make a run. 

And let’s not forget Baltimore. Suddenly Jackson looks like a stellar QB. 

18 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

I’m being realistic this morning. Even if Jacoby gets it together and suddenly starts dropping 300/4 a game, we still have to deal with Brady and Mahomes. I know our defense appears to be better, and we’ve got guys that are injured at the moment, but I just don’t think this team is currently equipped to contend with those two. If Luck were still here and Vinny wasn’t missing every barn he’s kicking at, I would be far more inclined to agree we have the chance to make a run. 

Superbowl probably isn't happening.  I consider this a developmental year for the most part.  It became a developmental year when Luck retired.  We need to let our youth learn and develop before we're realistic Superbowl contenders.

My goal for this year is to see the team make the playoffs and, ideally, win a playoff game.  That's my goal because that's how I see this team maximizing the potential of a development year.  I don't think a higher goal than that is realistically attainable.  From this far out though, battling for the division, getting to the playoffs either as a division champ or as a wild card, and winning a game seems reasonably feasible depending on the obvious factors of development and injuries.

Now we could strike gold and have this team rally around each other in storybook fashion, you never know,  But it isn't good policy to bet on such things.   I think it's important to keep our expectations modest this year.  So far, the Colts are exceeding my expectations.   

Right now after a tough road trip we're technically in a favored position in the division, in a 3 way 1-1 tie but the only team in that tie that hasn't played a home game yet. 

We have a fighting chance for the division and that's enough for me at the moment.  Personally I'm betting on this team to improve over the course of the season.  We'll see how much and whether it might be wise to expand our expectations in the second half.

19 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

And suddenly Lamar could look like a subpar QB next week. That's the beauty of this league.

KC remind me of the 2013 Broncos. All offense, no defense. Expect the same ending. Coached by Andy Reid too? Definitely expect it. Time and time again he proves he does not know how to win the big one.