Indianapolis Colts
BlueCollarColts

Khari Willis

Anyone notice Willis getting extended playing time today? I saw him come up and make a few nice tackles. Seemed to be splitting reps with Geathers.

• Like 1

Geathers struggled on the long TD Drive and then I saw Willis getting more and more reps.  I think Willis is slowly taking his job.

• Like 6

He looked pretty good today from what I saw. Laid a nice hit on Mariota trying to scramble.

I noticed Geathers on the bad end of a couple receptions.

9 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Anyone notice Willis getting extended playing time today? I saw him come up and make a few nice tackles. Seemed to be splitting reps with Geathers.

He made a very nice tackle on Henry to stop what could have been a TD.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

He made 2 nice plays in a row. Looks to be a solid late pick. Hope he develops 

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Geathers struggled on the long TD Drive and then I saw Willis getting more and more reps.  I think Willis is slowly taking his job.

I feel like he is gonna be our next S along side Hooker. Any time you see CB trade 2 4th rounders to move up a few spots( 15 I think ) he's gonna be a good player. 

• Like 2

read-react defense Clayton can be thinking entirely too much out there trust what you see and get after it. Khari played well he was being compared to Mike Brown of the bears. he was a good safety who was just always where he needed to be. Hope Khari can be that good because if he is then the def will be better and better for it.

• Like 1

Geathers appears to be really struggling.  Willis is really seizing his opportunity with great play and instincts.  I thought Willis would be our SS by the end of the season but I think it's going to happen much sooner.  He made a difference today when we needed it.

I was hoping someone would create this thread . He just kept popping up all over the place making plays.  One play was Bob Sanders like.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I also noticed Geathers played a lot more on special teams today 

And some nickel linebacker too.

Khari will likely play the traditional SS role while Geathers plays the "Rover" position as a LB on passing downs. 

That seems to be part of the rotation now.

Tbey seem to be splitting reps on ST's too.

Khari was drafted to add depth and develop into a starting caliber player for sure. He's just forcing the coaching staffs hand quicker than many thought.

Mike Brown (former pro bowler forcthe bears) was his comp and I see it. He just seems to be a heady ballplayer that instinctively puts himself in the right position.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Khari will likely play the traditional SS role while Geathers plays the "Rover" position as a LB on passing downs. 

That seems to be part of the rotation now.

Tbey seem to be splitting reps on ST's too.

Khari was drafted to add depth and develop into a starting caliber player for sure. He's just forcing the coaching staffs hand quicker than many thought.

Mike Brown (former pro bowler forcthe bears) was his comp and I see it. He just seems to be a heady ballplayer that instinctively puts himself in the right position.

Nobody ever moved Clayton to linebacker full time but many here in the past including myself have been of the opinion he should have been moved to be a full time LB.  He just doesn't make any plays on the football in space.  His specialty is coming up and making tackles, but he doesnt have the awareness and instincts that's necessary for making plays on the football in the passing game as a S.  Not that I've seen those traits in Kerri yet but that remains to be seen.  Claytons been here long enough for me to know there's not going to be any major changes in his game. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Really glad someone made this thread.

Due to family considerations,  I was only able to watch the 2nd half.    But in just that time,  it looked like Willis was.....    everywhere!

His #37 was 2nd on the team with tackles with 7.   (Leonard led with 10)   and six of them were solo.   He was tackling RB's and QB's and WR's and TE's....    I thought he was a heat seaking missile out there.   He was exciting to watch. 

That was a nice Welcome to the NFL type of game for the kid.   Looking forward to many more from Willis.

• Like 5

Willis was balling when he was out there. The hit on Mariota and the tackle on Henry stood out to me. Hopefully he can build on this performance and perform like this consistently.

I was surprised by his closing speed, he seems like a 4.4 guy on tape

He also wraps up and his guy goes down

He will be starting..... by mid year

He may be our number 1 rookie from this class

Rock / Campbell will need time to develop

• Like 1

Made very nice tackles. Ballard called him one of the better tackling safeties in that draft. Personally I don’t see his ceiling being great but it seems like he’s got talent. He’s earned more reps.

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Made very nice tackles. Ballard called him one of the better tackling safeties in that draft. Personally I don’t see his ceiling being great but it seems like he’s got talent. He’s earned more reps.

I like Geathers, but from what I'm seeing, Willis is an upgrade. 

12 hours ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Seems like the coaches are noticing he's having an impact out there if the snap counts are any indication.

Snap Counts Week 1

Gathers                            Willis

Def - 56 (88.9%)              Def - 16 (25.4%)

ST   - 6 (23.1%)                ST   - 13 (50.0%)

Snap Counts Week 2

Gathers                            Willis

Def - 42 (70.0%)              Def - 30 (50.0%)

ST   - 9   (34.6%)              ST   - 11 (42.3%)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought Willis played very well from what I saw being at the game. He was flying to the ball carrier, and could very well take over the starting SS spot over Geathers here soon if he keeps it up. 

38 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I like Geathers, but from what I'm seeing, Willis is an upgrade. 

The real test will be when he’s targeted in coverage. That’s how we’ll know if he’s truly an upgrade since coverage is Geathers’ biggest area of wealth.

IMO, Geathers can't be replaced soon enough.  

And that statement is applicable at any time during the past three years.

13 hours ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Geathers has been terrible.

On 9/15/2019 at 9:47 PM, BlueCollarColts said:

I think it’s really construed, because both players have been on the field at the same time. Although I will say that I am not a Geathers fan. I think he is meh and lacks poor coverage skills to be considered adequate in a two deep scheme. I haven’t really seen that in Willis either but I do like what I see from him as far as making open field tackles.

NFL.com had him as one of the top 5 highest graded rookies for week 2 according to PFF.

19 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

NFL.com had him as one of the top 5 highest graded rookies for week 2 according to PFF.

Which also equated to him having the highest PFF score on our team for our game playing 50% of the snaps.  I've seen enough.  Time to make him our starting SS this week. 

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Which also equated to him having the highest PFF score on our team for our game playing 50% of the snaps.  I've seen enough.  Time to make him our starting SS this week. 

It’s a little too early for that. We also haven’t really seen him tested in coverage yet. Geathers is also a team captain. I’d think the coaching staff wouldn’t make that type of decision until week 5 at the earliest.

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Then make it happen Richy. Oh sorry, your vote don't count. Haha!

• Haha 1

Willis did a nice job. I think the snap change had a lot to do with the O we were facing. IMO, Willis will play more vs running teams, and Geathers will play more vs passing teams. I'd bet Geathers gets more snaps this weekend vs the Falcons.

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Willis did a nice job. I think the snap change had a lot to do with the O we were facing. IMO, Willis will play more vs running teams, and Geathers will play more vs passing teams. I'd bet Geathers gets more snaps this weekend vs the Falcons.

Not necessarily. When we play passing teams Geathers comes down and plays that hybrid linebacker role while Willis will be playing in the two-deep alongside Hooker.

It will be interesting to watch the snap count numbers though.

Sidenote: last year Hunt was the starting DT and Woods the backup. Stewart was 3rd on the depth chart but as the season wore on Stewart took a lions share of Woods reps. TN is known to run but Stewart had more reps than Hunt, also something to watch as the year rolls on.

6 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Not necessarily. When we play passing teams Geathers comes down and plays that hybrid linebacker role while Willis will be playing in the two-deep alongside Hooker.

It will be interesting to watch the snap count numbers though.

Sidenote: last year Hunt was the starting DT and Woods the backup. Stewart was 3rd on the depth chart but as the season wore on Stewart took a lions share of Woods reps. TN is known to run but Stewart had more reps than Hunt, also something to watch as the year rolls on.

IDK. We played really only 2X safety sets vs LAC. We played 3X safety sets a little bit vs the Titans because of the Henry IMO.

Vs passing teams we'll use a lot more 3CB sets than 3 S sets. I'd bet week 3 snaps are closer to LAC than TN.

But yes, will be interesting to follow. We'll see.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 8:41 PM, LockeDown said:

I was hoping someone would create this thread . He just kept popping up all over the place making plays.  One play was Bob Sanders like.

Agreed. I'm glad this thread was created.  He played well from what I can tell.  Some nice hard hits AND good tackling.

• Like 1