Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich’s 4th down call

bluebombers87

9 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I absolutely love the call (even if he doesn't make it) 

Our O-Line is a brute force.

Jacoby is a bigger guy.

He also got to watch Brady do these (I hate to say, but Brady is great at QB sneaks)

The team knows how much Reich believes in them to pull it off. 

I think the odds favor the call. 

Thing is that with that kind of time on the clock and timeouts it's really not hard to move into field goal range.  And once they do move into range it's over because then they are going to kill the clock and kick the FG for the win.

On a 4th and 1 I think your odds of making the 4th and 1 are much greater then your odds of preventing them from getting in range for a field goal with that time left on the clock.

Remember that the Titans lost their last drive on downs because they had spiked the ball I think twice in that set of downs.  They simply don't do that if they have timeouts or time on the clock.  

Without resorting to outcome bias I think Frank made the right call. You're either hoping that the Titans can't drive into FG range, or if they do that they leave some time on the clock (gamble with a O that's been stuttering and kicker that's been missing) or you try to win it there and then. 

In then end the Titans still got the ball back, and I feel we were one bad decision on their part (not running a play on that 3rd down), from losing the game.

Squeaky stuff, but I'm all for being more aggressive on 4th and short. 

The best part of the play was running and extra 40 seconds off the clock while trying to get them to jump. I will admit I was mad they didn't snap it. I thought for sure they were going to punt after the timeout. Had they run the play without running that extra time off the clock TN would have been in a lot better shape time wise on their last drive.

• Like 1