Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich’s 4th down call

bluebombers87

He doesn't mince words. He doesn't nonsense. He doesn't say one thing and then do something else. (except, perhaps, not playing Campbell as much as we thought he indicated he would...but there's still time for that)

He said he's going to run like a top 5 team. He said he's confident in this team, this QB, this kicker, etc. He means it and he shows that he means it.

Still pretty ballsy tho! Respect!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

He doesn't mince words. He doesn't nonsense. He doesn't say one thing and then do something else. (except, perhaps, not playing Campbell as much as we thought he indicated he would...but there's still time for that)

He said he's going to run like a top 5 team. He said he's confident in this team, this QB, this kicker, etc. He means it and he shows that he means it.

Still pretty ballsy tho! Respect!

yea the campbell thing is a big head scratcher to me.

I feared total déjà vu to last year’s very similar scenario in OT ... Colts are 4th down, come to the line for a surprising apparent gamble to go for it.  Lots of barking, fail to draw the other team offside, then call timeout.  Clearly now going to punt it.  Nope, they come back out to go for it again, but last year it failed, they failed to convert.  After the game Reich said no regret, he’d go for the win 10 out of 10 times, there.

This looked like the same thing, but thank goodness that this time, after taking the timeout, but coming back out to similarly go for it anyway, they managed to convert.  Just wow.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I feared total déjà vu to last year’s very similar scenario in OT ... Colts are 4th down, come to the line for a surprising apparent gamble to go for it.  Lots of barking, fail to draw the other team offside, then call timeout.  Clearly now going to punt it.  Nope, they come back out to go for it again, but last year it failed, they failed to convert.  After the game Reich said no regret, he’d go for the win 10 out of 10 times, there.

This looked like the same thing, but thank goodness that this time, after taking the timeout, but coming back out to similarly go for it anyway, they managed to convert.  Just wow.

Exactly. I remember that call. I approved of it then too. Mans got ice in his veins. I remember media members weren’t very happy with it. Wonder if that changes.

• Like 1

Honestly, the dude just knows what its gonna take to win, on a game to game basis, with the team he has.  Hes not afraid to lose trying either.  The Colts, under Reich, play to win.  Much different than under the previous administration (IMO).  This is a man earning his spot as the leader of this franchise, not a guy afraid to lose it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreed 100% with the call.

This is why you have 3 OLs drafted in the first round, 1 OL in the second round in your starting lineup. Put the game in the hands of your strongest unit.

If this was Jeremy Vujnovich or Mike McGlynn, they'd step over their own feet, get injured, and be pushed back for a 5 yard loss.

Going for it on 4th down was one thing.  I actually told my buddy they should go for it after Brissett was stopped short on 3rd down and he ridiculed me.  Lol. What the Colts did next was to try to draw the Titans offsides which didn’t work.  I thought that was the end of that.  However, Reich then calling the QB sneak on the very next play was a stroke of genius and totally caught me off guard.  Ballsy...going for the jugular type of decision. 

Was the right call.  Odds of making it on 4th and 1 with our line and Jacoby's size and strength are much better then the odds of preventing a field goal with 3 and a half to 4 minutes left on the clock.  

You kick that ball, they go into field goal range, kill the clock, kick the field goal and win.  I think the odds of that where probably close to 60%  40% chance we stop them.  

However I think your odds of making it on 4th and 1 with what we have are probably 90% if not better.  

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Sure looked to me like he tried to go downfield. No one was open. Don’t forget the PI call called on  our first TD. Cain had him beat.

Cain catches that ball without being interfered with. 

We also went downfield towards the end of the game when we were trying to kill clock.  

The only thing I can say is that I do feel like if it was Luck they would have let him sling it a little bit more.   Offense is decent but with Luck it was prolific.