Indianapolis Colts
bluebombers87

Reich’s 4th down call

He doesn't mince words. He doesn't nonsense. He doesn't say one thing and then do something else. (except, perhaps, not playing Campbell as much as we thought he indicated he would...but there's still time for that)

He said he's going to run like a top 5 team. He said he's confident in this team, this QB, this kicker, etc. He means it and he shows that he means it.

Still pretty ballsy tho! Respect!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, our_dbs_rock said:

I was expecting the South Park wheelbarrow meme, but this will do..........

Wasn't sure if I would get in trouble for that.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Wasn't sure if I would get in trouble for that.    

I was thinking the same thing.  I was ready to photoshop Reich's head on to the image.

• Haha 3

I like the QB sneak. Something like 80% success rate for 4th and less than 1-1/2 yards. Of course, if they DIDN’T make it, there would be those on this forum, calling for his job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Felt this deserved its own thread.

What a gamble but you have to admire Reich going for it in your own territory on 4th down. Definitely more of a killer instinct than previous coaches, including Dungy.

Balls, huge ones

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

He doesn't mince words. He doesn't nonsense. He doesn't say one thing and then do something else. (except, perhaps, not playing Campbell as much as we thought he indicated he would...but there's still time for that)

He said he's going to run like a top 5 team. He said he's confident in this team, this QB, this kicker, etc. He means it and he shows that he means it.

Still pretty ballsy tho! Respect!

yea the campbell thing is a big head scratcher to me.

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Balls, huge ones

His post game team speech consisted of him singing a single song.

4 minutes ago, our_dbs_rock said:

His post game team speech consisted of him singing a single song.

What was captain America’s shield made of? Whatever it was, so are them balls

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I am just glad it worked. If we had a three point lead I probably would of been ok with it. The fact they were already in FG range was kind of ridiculous. 

I have never seen anybody in the NFL do that and I am not so young. He should get an Espy award just for that play.

6 minutes ago, coltsva said:

One thing Jacoby has over Luck is leg drive on QB sneaks.

I'm sure his old mentor Brady, who's a master of the QB sneak, gave him a few tips

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

I have never seen anybody in the NFL do that and I am not so young. He should get an Espy award just for that play.

Belichek's 4th and 2 against the Colts is an example of when it was attempted and failed.

I feared total déjà vu to last year’s very similar scenario in OT ... Colts are 4th down, come to the line for a surprising apparent gamble to go for it.  Lots of barking, fail to draw the other team offside, then call timeout.  Clearly now going to punt it.  Nope, they come back out to go for it again, but last year it failed, they failed to convert.  After the game Reich said no regret, he’d go for the win 10 out of 10 times, there.

This looked like the same thing, but thank goodness that this time, after taking the timeout, but coming back out to similarly go for it anyway, they managed to convert.  Just wow.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I feared total déjà vu to last year’s very similar scenario in OT ... Colts are 4th down, come to the line for a surprising apparent gamble to go for it.  Lots of barking, fail to draw the other team offside, then call timeout.  Clearly now going to punt it.  Nope, they come back out to go for it again, but last year it failed, they failed to convert.  After the game Reich said no regret, he’d go for the win 10 out of 10 times, there.

This looked like the same thing, but thank goodness that this time, after taking the timeout, but coming back out to similarly go for it anyway, they managed to convert.  Just wow.

Exactly. I remember that call. I approved of it then too. Mans got ice in his veins. I remember media members weren’t very happy with it. Wonder if that changes.

• Like 1

I loved it, I loved it last year vs Jacks and Houston eventhough it didn't work out there. I was hoping we would go for the knock out insread of bringing in the punting unit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Scored a TD didn't he?   We will get things opened up  very soon  so just be patient.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, our_dbs_rock said:

Belichek's 4th and 2 against the Colts is an example of when it was attempted and failed.

Needed a TD not a FG though

Like I said the Colts have an all around better team and better coaching staff than the Titans do.  We always end up outplanning, out adjusting and out thinking Tenn.

• Thanks 1

Man has big ones.

Still with the game on the line he put the ball in the “hands” of his best unit.  His oline.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, krunk said:

Scored a TD didn't he?   We will get things opened up  very soon  so just be patient.

He needs more than a pass a game. Offense  is still too conservative just like the beginning  of last year.

Honestly, the dude just knows what its gonna take to win, on a game to game basis, with the team he has.  Hes not afraid to lose trying either.  The Colts, under Reich, play to win.  Much different than under the previous administration (IMO).  This is a man earning his spot as the leader of this franchise, not a guy afraid to lose it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brissett has the size and strength to pull off those QB sneaks on 4th and inches.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Stephen said:

He needs more than a pass a game. Offense  is still too conservative just like the beginning  of last year.

Sure looked to me like he tried to go downfield. No one was open. Don’t forget the PI call called on  our first TD. Cain had him beat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

He has missed a lot of time with injury.    He is getting put in gradually.  Which is what should be expected.   When he's ready he'll play more 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

What was captain America’s shield made of? Whatever it was, so are them balls

Vibranium and Proto-Adamantium alloy, I believe.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, MTC said:

Brissett has the size and strength to pull off those QB sneaks on 4th and inches.

He does and I think a bootleg by him would have worked a couple of times as well.  I thought it was there on quite a few short handoffs.  Hopefully it gets called down the road.

Agreed 100% with the call.

This is why you have 3 OLs drafted in the first round, 1 OL in the second round in your starting lineup. Put the game in the hands of your strongest unit.

If this was Jeremy Vujnovich or Mike McGlynn, they'd step over their own feet, get injured, and be pushed back for a 5 yard loss.

8 hours ago, Stephen said:

He’s a rookie and he missed most of camp.. it’s not that head scratching at all that he’s being worked in slowly. Especially when one of his biggest knocks pre-draft was route running. 

Have patience 

• Like 1

Going for it on 4th down was one thing.  I actually told my buddy they should go for it after Brissett was stopped short on 3rd down and he ridiculed me.  Lol. What the Colts did next was to try to draw the Titans offsides which didn’t work.  I thought that was the end of that.  However, Reich then calling the QB sneak on the very next play was a stroke of genius and totally caught me off guard.  Ballsy...going for the jugular type of decision. 

Was the right call.  Odds of making it on 4th and 1 with our line and Jacoby's size and strength are much better then the odds of preventing a field goal with 3 and a half to 4 minutes left on the clock.  

You kick that ball, they go into field goal range, kill the clock, kick the field goal and win.  I think the odds of that where probably close to 60%  40% chance we stop them.  

However I think your odds of making it on 4th and 1 with what we have are probably 90% if not better.  

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Sure looked to me like he tried to go downfield. No one was open. Don’t forget the PI call called on  our first TD. Cain had him beat.

Cain catches that ball without being interfered with. 

We also went downfield towards the end of the game when we were trying to kill clock.  

The only thing I can say is that I do feel like if it was Luck they would have let him sling it a little bit more.   Offense is decent but with Luck it was prolific.