Indianapolis Colts
jvan1973

Running game

Just when I think Wilkins is not in the mix, he breaks off a 50 yarder and pretty much won the game for us. Mack got a first down on a darn near impossible play that showed his true ability. Both impressed.

• Like 5

They both even caught some good passes. Wilkins is going to be a nice backup for Mack.

• Like 2

I think if we are 2-3 after going into the BYE we are in a good spot. This has been a hard schedule to open up, and like you said, when you 100m man retires, it takes time to figure it out. I was very impressed with Wilkins today. And I believe the sweeps were somewhat predictable 

• Like 1

We have real depth at the running back position as well. Wilkins runs hard, he’s a good back. Mack is obviously stellar.

We need to use the run game to mix some down the field passing into the gameplan. If we can do that, our offense will be tough to stop.

• Like 1

Reich is gonna run the ball a lot this season so if we make it to the playoffs I feel confident in our run game.

Wilkins also picked up a couple real good blocks during the game too

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

I think if we are 2-3 after going into the BYE we are in a good spot. This has been a hard schedule to open up, and like you said, when you 100m man retires, it takes time to figure it out. I was very impressed with Wilkins today. And I believe the sweeps were somewhat predictable 

I hope we can win both home games.

Wilkins was a really good ‘tough-yardage’ back last year, except that he fumbled too much, trying to break tackles.

i like the running game. Just hope we don’t wear the backs out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Frank said he wanted a top 10 rushing attack.  He’s calling the game like he meant what he said.  Our identity is gonna be that of a physical smash mouthed team.  Winning games like this is getting us battle tested. 

• Like 2

OLine has to be given a lot of credit.  Pre-season they looked like crap - though, honestly they all didn't play a lot together.  They continue to create lanes even when the D knows we're going to run.

Our run game looks great right now!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Frank said he wanted a top 10 rushing attack.  He’s calling the game like he meant what he said. Winning games like this is getting us battle tested. 

Will bode well if we make the playoffs.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Did we rush for close to 200 yards.

167 yards rushing

Wilkins 82

Mack 51

JB 25

Hines 9

• Like 1

Wonder why no one has signed Charcandrick West, from our preseason?  I thought he would be our #2 or#3, based on those games.  Can’t believe he’s still available, in case we need another back, later in the season?

19 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

167 yards rushing

Wilkins 82

Mack 51

JB 25

Hines 9

I was massively impressed with our run game for the second straight week.

Reading those stats I'm a little worried that the one big run is skewing my/our perception. Nobody would be praising the running game if those stats read...

Wilkins 27

Mack 51

Hines 9

....as they would have done without Wilkins' game changing run.

Either way I'm more comfortable with the run game rather than passing side but we were maybe a little less consistent on the ground than I originally thought.

52 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Just when I think Wilkins is not in the mix, he breaks off a 50 yarder and pretty much won the game for us. Mack got a first down on a darn near impossible play that showed his true ability. Both impressed.

I remember the days when only one RB saw the field.  Edge's body took a beating every game as he gave 100%.  It's good when they change them out when needed.

Mack, Hines and Wilkins all complement each other and I hope they drop Williams soon and bring another olineman or a combo KR/PR/RBorWR. There just is simply not enough snaps for all 4 runningbacks....

As far as the running game is concerned, I have no doubt we can finish in the top 10 and perhaps top 5 at this point. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

I remember the days when only one RB saw the field.  Edge's body took a beating every game as he gave 100%.  It's good when they change them out when needed.

I saw Mack call for a rest after a run so he seems to be okay with it too. As long as he isn’t one of those guys that needs a lot of touches to get in a rhythm.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Mack, Hines and Wilkins all complement each other and I hope they drop Williams soon and bring another olineman or a combo KR/PR/RBorWR. There just is simply not enough snaps for all 4 runningbacks....

Williams could also be the guy to open up a spot for CK and then he could go to the PS. 

I really thought Jacoby was strong in the pocket and made some really nice plays with his feet as well. Particularly the 3rd down pick up in the first half.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Wilkins also picked up a couple real good blocks during the game too

yep, the run was to glow and bradens side nice to see big runs breaking from both sides of the ball means balance the offensive line has seen 2 very good front 4s in the last two weeks.

• Like 1

Aside from the fumbles, Wilkins was my favorite RB early in the season. He doesn't have that breakaway speed to take it to the house like Mack, but his vision and balance are phenomenal. I was pumped to see him back in the rotation this week, because Hines doesn't do much for me between the tackles.

• Like 3

If Jacoby can add the play-action deep ball to his play then these kinds of running numbers are going to make the Colts deadly.  

Its been a long long time since the Colts had a team like this probably back to the 94-95 Colts blocking for Faulk.  Yes Edge was great but that ground game and line was still built behind a deadly passing game.  This team is ground and pound first and built for it.

Thats why with the game on the line Frank put it in the hands of his best unit, his run blocking oline.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shive said:

Aside from the fumbles, Wilkins was my favorite RB early in the season. He doesn't have that breakaway speed to take it to the house like Mack, but his vision and balance are phenomenal. I was pumped to see him back in the rotation this week, because Hines doesn't do much for me between the tackles.

Mack and Wilkins both ran 4.5 40s.  

2 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

I was massively impressed with our run game for the second straight week.

Reading those stats I'm a little worried that the one big run is skewing my/our perception. Nobody would be praising the running game if those stats read...

Wilkins 27

Mack 51

Hines 9

....as they would have done without Wilkins' game changing run.

Either way I'm more comfortable with the run game rather than passing side but we were maybe a little less consistent on the ground than I originally thought.

That’s thing though, if you can pound it effectively like the Colts did today the defense gets tired and then you pop one of those long runs.

• Like 1

I've always really liked Wilkins, think he's capable of handling back up duties. Sure, he had a case of the fumble last year, but he actually had one of the best fumble rates in college.

As for today, I actually thought we might let Wilkins get one of the carries on the last drive. I mean, I get why we didn't, but he's definitely earned more carries going forward.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Mack and Wilkins both ran 4.5 40s.  

Interesting... Mack seems to run faster, but can't argue with facts.

Mack & Wilkins looking like a very effective 1-2 punch.  I actually prefer Mack as an RB receiver than Hines. 

I’m happy with the ground game so far. Obviously Tennessee is a very tough team to run the ball against, so I will happily take what we came away with today. 

50 minutes ago, Shive said:

Mack has a quicker burst I think. 

1 hour ago, Shive said:

While they have the same top speed, Mack is more agile and faster out of cuts than Wilkins. Its not much, but its that little bit of a wiggle combined with vision that has helped Mack grind out more yards than the others that are as fast on paper. 

#Colts are the first team since 2012 to rush for at least 375 yards in their first two games.(total)

17 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

chuckle
 Like you think from the above 3 there won't be a number of missed games. 

16 hours ago, Shive said:

Wilkins reminds me a touch of Bell in his patience.  He seems to be running at half speed then bam, he accelerates and hits the hole. 

Not sure why some fans were so down on him because of a couple fumbles as a rookie.  Honestly, I think he's almost as good as Mack. 

• Like 2