Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 2 impressions: Brissett

GoColts8818

Seemed to have a great deal of trouble generating positive yardage, some of that comes down to good coverage of course but Brissett needs to work in his touch in the short to intermediate range.  He has a history of throwing the ball so hot that his receivers can't catch it, which is a good problem to have IF he can learn to make finesse throws, but that's clearly still a work in progress.

Still, 3 passing touchdowns which accounted for literally all of our offensive points.  He gave up a pick on an almost perfect play by Erick Rowe, who is an excellent coverage back

Bottom line He did his job and did a good job of managing the team on the field.  This was a "game managing" win, probably his best play of the game was orchestrating a drive that ate 3 precious minutes off the clock in the 4th quarter to give the Titans no chance to come back.

148 yards notwithstanding. Brissett still put the team on his back when it mattered the most.  It's not flashy, and not pretty, but he and Reich won the game in the trenches and that's all I really care about.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Not as impressive as last week, but not a terrible performance. Bad INT and that fumble just can’t happen. Did have 3 TD passes, Wilkins saved us with that big run at the end.

We’re going to have to play like Dallas. Rely on our offensive line and run the football. Brissett has the arm to take more shots down the field, but he seems too hesistant and isn’t anticipating guys being open very well. He’s waiting for them to run open, which is causing some of his throws to come in late.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, il vecchio said:

I thought he did a really good job and will continue to improve.  That TD floater was perfect.  I'm happy with him as the Colts QB.

Me too.  That was a classic "do your job" win.  Everyone combined to do  enough to go 1-1 on the road against 2 playoff teams.

My faith in Brissett is a lot stronger now.  I honestluy think that if we can split a road trip like that and manage another couple gritty upset wins on the road, this team could win 10 and be right back where Luck had us last year

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

he's still pretty bad a reading a D and now that teams are gonna start stacking the box to stop Mack they will force JB to win our games. was a pretty ugly game for him.

I know what you mean, but I'll take an ugly 3 td to 1 pick game all day.... Now, some more yards, and no fumble.... We're really talkin

1 minute ago, GoatBeard said:

He hasnt lit the world on fire, but he has 5 tds thru 2 games, so hes on pace for 40 touchdown passes with a solid completion percentage. That was a very good defense he played today on the road.

Give the man time to develop with in game experience. There are going to be ups and downs.

A voice of reason........  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We have to find a way to get our offensive play makers the ball. Adam v needs to go.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That Titans D Is no joke. That fumble looks like it might of slipped out being a little sweaty with the heat. This was a slug fest. Don’t think it was that bad.

yea a good win

4 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

He hasnt lit the world on fire, but he has 5 tds thru 2 games, so hes on pace for 40 touchdown passes with a solid completion percentage. That was a very good defense he played today on the road.

Give the man time to develop with in game experience. There are going to be ups and downs.

40 would be one more then Luck last year. That titans defense is good.

The play calling leaves a lot to be desired. It’s like Frank forces plays that haven’t worked all day. Today it was the lateral run plays. Our screen game seems to be predictable. I wonder if we have a tell or something.

Brissett is a safe QB. He’s not goin to take risks often. That’s why this offense comes of bland and slow 

• Like 2

Brissett was responsible for literally all but 1 of the Colts' points this game.  We don't win this football game with Hoyer under center.

Yes he struggled.  But he also still positively contributed to the Colts' first win of the season, and he's got 5 TD's to 1 pick.  The consistency isn't quite there -- yet.  But there's a lot to like.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

The play calling leaves a lot to be desired. It’s like Frank forces plays that haven’t worked all day. Today it was the lateral run plays. Our screen game seems to be predictable. I wonder if we have a tell or something.

Brissett is a safe QB. He’s not goin to take risks often. That’s why this offense comes of bland and slow 

Brissett is fine the play calling is what I hate so far. 1 pass to Parris campbell a game.

The Colts after all did get shafted with two opening games on the road against very difficult opponents.  To come out 1-1 is definitely a blessing in disguise.  I just hope they can get JB to open up.  I feel like when they spread the offense out he can make some good plays.  Hopefully they get Campbell more involved.  

• Like 1

any win is a good win.

All JB7 had to do is put enough offense up to allow the defense to carry the game, and eat enough clock in TOP to keep the Titans' offense from evening the score.  That's exactly what he accomplished. 

just goes to what I've been saying all along.  He's not gonna be Manning or Luck, but he can be good enough to lead a complete team and win games against good opponents.  he did it tonight.  He nearly did it last week.  Kid's not great, but he is good.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

He may not have the option with the different reads

His 1, 2, and 3 may be underneath by design

His touch is his problem

Fastballs need to slow down a bit, when close in

Overall....... he played well

IMO it's not just by design. In 2017 when the offense was designed for big shots downfield he was still one of the QBs with fewest big-time throws. Some QBs are just like that by nature - they don't turn it loose or they hesitate or don't see the throws(at least not consistently enough). Which with Jacoby is a shame because he has hell of an arm. 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Remember, They are still working on what plays that JB can run well

I guarantee you, the offense they ran all through camp were A Luck type plays

Give it a few weeks.

The defense and offense will BOTH get more efficient

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Remember, They are still working on what plays that JB can run well

I guarantee you, the offense they ran all through camp were A Luck type plays

Give it a few weeks.

The defense and offense will BOTH get more efficient

This is the major point. Yes, Brissett was the qb for all the off-season, but he was running plays catered to Luck.

• Like 1

We don't really have elite receivers outside of Hilton.  Honestly that's another way this team reminds me of the early 2000s Pats. 

What we have here is JB7, the underdog, the guy everyone looked past and very few people are taking seriously, gutting it out, learning on the job, overcoming adversity and leading the team back from the brink of defeat twice in 2 games against very strong opponents.  If that reminds you of the underdog 6th round pick with the track record of clutch comeback drives both in college and in the pros -- you aren't alone.  Jacoby Brissett may not quite have that level of talent but his personality?  very, VERY similar.

The stage is not too big for him.  He's capable of using his wits and intelligence to combat his lack of experience.  And now he has a very good coach backing him up.  As he learns and gains experience, as he settles into his role and the offense adjusts to who he is and what he can do, this could be a very special year.

• Like 1